Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A creeping, wet, slithering scent, dripping with seaweed, oceanic plants and dark, unfathomable waters.

Since Thalassa took my BPAL virginity, I've been on a mission to test all of the aquatics and thus far, only she has been kind to me. Cthulhu is no different. Sigh.

Wet: VERY masculine and perfumy...reminded me of working the perfume counter at JC Penney (god that job SUCKED). It's a familiar scent with something murky and spicy. Throw like whoa.

Dry: This didn't morph AT ALL. That's pretty rare for me.

Final Thoughts: I can't wear it, but I tried it on my roommate, who is a huge Cthulhu fan, and he thought it smelled like evil soap water. Silly boys. Anyway, I suppose it's off to swaps, but not for a lack of trying to give it the love it deserves.

I purchased this to reward myself for completing a Cthulhu-themed lolita costume, even though I'm not much for aquatic scents. Too bad I didn't have it in time for the costume's premiere.

In the bottle: Smells pretty much like the "ocean" oil I have; whatever they do to make that note, it's in basically every aquatic-themed perfume I've ever smelled. I was a little disappointed at first sniff because I'd been hoping for something weirder.

On the skin: While wet, some greenish, herbal and musk notes started coming through. As it dried these notes intensified. It's definitely got some sort of light musk thing going on (which tends to, unhappily, turn powdery on me), along with a faint hint of something slightly astringent, almost like witch hazel. It smells salty and vegetal, like seaweed. There's a nicely balanced throw to it-- not overwhelming, but I can definitely tell it's there. Four hours later the overall smell is much weaker, but it still has more holding power than any conventional perfumes I wear.

Conclusion: I don't think this is for frequent use, but I plan on wearing it any time I'm in a Cthulhu sort of mood. It will nicely complement the bronze Cthulhu pendant I picked up recently, whenever I find occasion to wear that. From reading other reviews, I also want to try it on the man since he needs to find some decent new smells.

--Morgan

In the bottle, this is very clean aquatic and very much like Thalassa. When I first try it, it's really no different than Thalassa but as it dries it takes on a different quality. Where Thalassa stays pretty salty and oceanic all day, Cthulhu dries down to a darker and more herbal scent. I bet this would smell heavenly on the right guy! This is maybe a bit more masculine than our deadly mermaid but it makes a lovely replacement for when she disapears with the rest of the carnival.

Dark, deep, mysterious and damned sexy. Sexy is not something I expected from Cthulhu. This aquatic is deep and green, almost piney at some points. It is strong and fragrant and would be incredibly sexy on a male, though it still smells pretty good on me too.

Tested it on the SO and yes, it is sexy on man. Mmm... Cthulhu is lust inspiring. Somehow, this seems wrong. I like it anyway. :P

For something named after gruesome tentacular death, this is really nice! A nice surprise frimp.

Wet: It's...well, wet. Smells like water, cool and with just a hint of salt and greenery. My fiance wears Cool Water, and I think he'd like this if he'd give it a chance.

Dry: Doesn't change much. More of the greenery comes out, and a little floral. Smelling it, my brain goes to a blue-green underwater scene with waving fronds of seaweed...and maybe a tentacle.

I like it, and will enjoy my imp. Maybe Lovecraft wore this on dates?

Frimp from the lab.

This is intriguing. It's more of a 'standard' perfume smell than the other BPAL scents I've tried, and as I'm not really a perfume-y kind of gal, it's not doing much for me. The salt smell is there in the background and it does smell aquatic, but there's something hitting the back of my throat that's too cloying for my liking.

Having read some of the other reviews, I think this scent is just too masculine for me. And considering the OH would look at me like I had tentacles coming out of my face if I suggested he wore any scent, I think this will be going up for swaps.

:P Where are my aquatics? Where are my green notes? Why does my skin hate me? :D

Soap. Strong, masculine-smelling soap. I smell like my grandpa. :D The good part is that this faded really quickly and is almost completely gone two hours after applying it, so at least I don't have to smell it all day. Maybe I'll try this one on the boy.

Cthulhu is THE perfect oceanic scent! It reminds me of the ocean in Hawaii when I was a little girl and in love with the sea. It was so surprising, because I fully expected some sort of nastiness or darkness, but this Cthulhu is just a sea creature and innocent of all those creepy stories written about him. This perfume is more like swimming with a dolphin than getting slimed by tentacles.

This scent is very salty-fresh sea scent. This actually reminds me of fresh laundry... probably from some "ocean breeze" fabric softener I once had. I really love this. It's not as dark as I thought it would be... but maybe on me it turns a bit more girly. I kinda imagine a sea serpent with bows on each tentacle, which I think is awesome.

It's funny that I am an earth/air sign but I love aquatics!

Cthulhu makes me slobberingly happy! :P

It is awesome on both myself AND the dh... and we love it on each other... It is a varitable Lovecraftian LOVE-FEST!!

Sexy, salty, clean, breezy, uber-aquatic.... (tongue lolling out of head)...

Yum, yum... gimme some... woof!

Abandoned shores: Salt water, damp sand, shattered, sea-smoothed stones… aquatic, though, and rather too seaside scented for me. :P aquatics have a tendency to turn bitter & soapy on me.

I've recently discovered aquatics as being good on me, for the most part.

Not this one. While it's a strong ocean scent in the imp, on me it's straight up soap, with a little bit of salt. Not a keeper, sadly.

Ia! Ia! I smell like a dryer sheet!

No, seriously, I smell exactly like a dryer sheet. I put some of this on my Cthulhu plushie, and now he, too, smells like fabric softener. It's nice if I want to smell clean, but I think I like Sea Of Glass a little better as my clean-smelling perfume. I'm going to send this one off to someone else.

:P Where are my aquatics? Where are my green notes? Why does my skin hate me? :D

Soap. Strong, masculine-smelling soap. I smell like my grandpa. :) The good part is that this faded really quickly and is almost completely gone two hours after applying it, so at least I don't have to smell it all day. Maybe I'll try this one on the boy.

This sums it up exactly for me.

This is not Cthulhu. It is CLEANTHULHU!

Aaaarg, the Elder Gods will wake and wash your mouth with soap!

:D

Seaweed? Plants? Dark water? Nope. This smells like aftershave. Considering I really wanted to smell like salt water and seaweed, this makes me very sad :P

When I wear this, I feel like I'm eating a salad. Not because it smells veggie, but because it smells so FRESH! It's a clean bath scent of unidentifiable florals. Had I known, I might have sought a bottle out by now, as I never would have purchased this based on the description. I normally don't go in for aquatics much, but this is very pleasant. To take off on what JennyGardener said, don't believe any of those tabloid stories about our Cthulhu here. With a sweet, sedate perfume like this, he's obviously a perfect guest for tea and gossip :P

Immediately it makes me think of a man. It smells like a men's soap (like Irish Springs) - it's sharp and clean and masculine. Very appealing in that way - I think it would smell so sexy on my husband, but I would never wear it myself. I imagine that anyone wearing this would feel very clean, because it has a "just showered" smell to it!

Well, with words like creeping, slithering, slippery, seaweed, dripping, dark, and waters

This smelled better than I thought it would. Made me briefly think of Cool Water Woman. But it isn't outstanding for me. With so many other great scents out there to try and buy, I think I will pass this along.

imp: salty, rotted wood and weeds.

wet: this goes to that irish-spring-soap smell so many aquatics go on me. this ends up smelling like generic men's cologne.

dry: once dry, this smells more like old wood and ocean spray. still a little too masculine for me though.

The Cthulhu scent is scary, but not at all in the same way Cthulhu Itself is scary. This is more like ... fresh linens, fabric-softener sheets, something like that. All the aquatics smell this way on me to some extent -- I like it in Jolly Roger, but this went overboard and was very strong and perfumey. I had to wash it off almost immediately, so I don't know whether it would have changed or gone powdery with drydown.

in the imp: uh oh. fabric softener. :D

wet on skin: fabric softener with ozone-drenched aquatic notes :P

dry down: more of the same :D

in all: oh Cthulhu! why have you forsaken meeeeeeeee????????

in the imp: this smells very wet and is a very masculine scent, not sure i would even want to venture into testing it as it's really not grabbing me while it's in the imp.

it reminds me of ocean water and men's cologne