Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sarahjay

Scents for late summer into autumn

hello - because it takes quite a while to receive blends to the uk, I'm starting to think about oils suitable for late summer into autumn. not wet leaves autumn spice kind of vibe, but more an 'indian summer'.

I would be interested to hear your thoughts :P

some I had thought of: (opinions welcome)

bewitched, glasgow, florence (berries)

silk road, morocco (spices)

hetairae (spiced figginess)

blood amber (warmth)

caterpillar (deeper floral)

the new baghdad sounds very intriguing.

any others?

sarah x

Lampades, Jack, Hesperides, Verdandi... all remind me of early fall. :P

Oh, Florence fits the bill really well. Such a warm, melting sunsetting sort of scent but with a crispness underneath that hints that the end of summer is coming.

yggdrasil.

smells like sweet, dried grasses & woods.

Hey there,

I love late summer more than just about anything- depending on which state I'm in there are either dusky sunsets, blistering heat, thunderstorms whipping around lush dark green foliage, or cool nights with doomed cicadas.

For that reason, I have a variety of recommendations:

Athens- warm honey sun shining through a glass of red wine

Black Dahlia- cool, vivacious blossoms with a hint of coconut (for the hot times, this is my sister's signature scent and it always reminds me of summer in Annapolis)

Undertow- wet summer storms

Nyx- musky, floral late night summers

The Hesperides- sweet golden apples, perfect for anticipating a fall harvest while still gamboling like a fawn in summer fields.

I hope that was florid and pretentious enough, and happy searching!

Kimi ni BUMP BUMP

Just bumping this as its that time of year again ...well I mean if you ordered them now you'd get them in in time for fall

Bella...the first thing I saw was your avatar and thought "Andra!"

I say...Delphi...intoxicatingly murky :P

In order of the end of summer to Halloween: The Hesperides, Aglaea, Florence, Jack, Grog, Snake Oil and Hollywood Babylon (cherrier version of Snake Oil...very fruity and yummy but for crisp days not hot ones).

I'd throw The Lion in there as well. With the sweet dried grasses soaking up the last of summer's warmth, that's a great just-before-Indian-Summer scent.

Regan reminds me of those last warm, sunny days, when the light is all golden and comes in at a low angle. Sort of late August through to September, when the light hits the trees with their already changing colours.

hello - because it takes quite a while to receive blends to the uk, I'm starting to think about oils suitable for late summer into autumn. not wet leaves autumn spice kind of vibe, but more an 'indian summer'.

Out of the ones you had that I've tried, your picks of Bewitched, Silk Road, Morocco, Blood Amber and The Caterpillar are on target. Blood Amber, in my opinion, is actually a very versatile scent that can be worn at any time, so maybe it would be at the bottom of this list. The Caterpillar, Bewitched and Silk Road are ideal for the whole 'Indian summer' vibe.

I know it's a discontinued oil, but Virgo absolutely encompasses the feel of late summer for me. People start to think about the upcoming harvest, the weather (in most places except hot-ass Florida) begins to become less steamy, the sun is having its last hurrah before the cooler months.

Allow me to dig through my imp box for inspiration.

:::dig, diggy dig:::

Grandmother of Ghosts is the first suitable one I've dragged out of the box. This is ideal for early autumn, as it encompasses the memory of the past summer with the trepadation of the upcoming autumn. For something more floral, Harlot may work well during the waning summer days, as it's light yet has a bit of spicy bite to it. Scherezade is one you can wear in the early autumn and all the way throughout the season. It's one of my favourite scents in its spicy/incense/resin category. Another scent that can be worn really at any time, but the time of early fall may fit it well, is Anne Bonny. Skuld is a good pick if you want a bit of the summer sweetness to linger. If you want to reflect the back-to-school days, whether you're still in school or not, I'd try Severin, The Dormouse or The Apothecary. Another early autumn scent that you might like would be Dana O'Shee. If you don't mind going a bit masculine, Fenris Wolf seems well-suited to the month of September.

Well, I hope that's enough to cause a dent in your wallet. Let us know what you decided to order.

-doreen

You know, for when it's still hot and humid but you're dying to get out your sweaters and boots and can't wait for Halloween. I love my springy-summer scents, but I can't bear to wear them past mid-August.

:P

(Until, say, November, when I'm darn tired of the cold and want spring.)

Hmmmm... my reccomendations would be (from my limited BPAL knowledge) Silk Road, which is warm and spicy but light enough for warm weather, Midnight, which smells like late summer nights, and Zephyr, which is lemony but has enough body to work in seasons other than summer.

And yours? :D (I'm planning to make a massive order of imps soon...)

I've never had BPAL in the summer (as I joined in late December), so I'm just guessing here. What all would you classify as springy, per se? The really light blends, like Embalming Fluid and Aizen-myoo? Or really floral like Eos?

If you like violets, I'd think they would be great for late summer, as they're not so heavy. (Seduction strikes me as a good possibility) Jasmine might be another great late summer note. Specifics... depends on what you like, I guess. I'm not a huge fan of deep musks, but Hollywood Babylon seems like it might work. To get in the mood for Halloween, 13 seems ideal. Verdandi had a cider note (to my nose), and the same lightness of aizen-myoo. The Hesperides had that same apple turned cider note.

Also, Carnal (fruity and floral!) and R'lyeh (evil grapefuit!) are ones to consider.

Hope this helped!

I thought it might be time for us to revisit this topic. So many new scents have come out since sarahjay started this thread last year... any new ideas for all of us? :P

I just placed an order for an imp set of scents that sounded like they'd be perfect for fall. A few of them have been mentioned already.

Hesperides: Their perfume is that of sturdy oak bark, dew-kissed leaves, twilight mist and crisp apple.

Lampades: Their scent is the crisp, inviting bittersweet tang of cranberry with smoky dark lilies, heady, sensual musk, a tingle of ginger and a brush of Mediterranean spices.

O: Amber and honey with a touch of vanilla.

White Rabbit: Strong black tea and milk with white pepper, ginger, honey and vanilla, spilled over the crisp scent of clean linen.

Lady Macbeth: Sweet Bordeaux wine, blood red currant, thyme and wild berries.

Bengal: Skin musk with honey, peppers, clove, cinnamon bark and ginger.

I already own Jack, and I can't wait for the weather to start feeling like fall so I can wear it again!

Some of my favorite summery scents:

Chiroptera (my #1 favorite, smells like a summer evening in a garden to me)

Envy

Dorian

Midway (soft and sweet)

Wanda (for evenings *only* - much too heavy for daytime. I used to wear this to Waterfire in Providence and it totally fit the mood)

I've also been really digging Hungry Ghost Moon lately, and I think it would work well in the fall as well.

Autumnal:

Trick or Treat

Wrath

Silk Road (could also be summery, it just wears a little warm on me)

all the pumpkin-y goodness

Intrigue

Alecto

Everyone is ignoring Scarecrow! One of my favorite Autumn scents, and even a good late summer one...

On me it doesn't smell as burnt as in the bottle and a lot of the florals come through, but in a mellow sweet way.

Dries down nice too.