Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
voodoobaby

Discussion of all things Amber

Ooh, I like the solid amber idea! Do you know where I could purchase a chunk of amber?

Check out any places that sell powdered incense. So far, I've only found it in one place. The company that made the kind I have makes various other kinds of powdered incense (Three Kings, Temple of the Winds, etc.)

Ah, but looking at my package, I see they have a website:

matchlessgifts.com

Hope that helps!

By the way, I also love amber blends. I haven't tried one that I feel is the "ultimate amber oil" yet, but I also haven't reviewed Brisingamen or Hetairae, both of which I remember having amber in it.

Some that I've tried and loved are: Black rose (I can definitely tell there's some amber in here), O, La Petite Mort, Bastet, Jezebel, Blood Amber

On a side note, I don't get much amber from Haunted, and I don't get lemon, either, though I do get citrus - on me, it's more of an orange than a lemon, though.

I would love love love for BPAL to make an amber, vanilla bean, and cardamon scent :P Ambra del Nepal makes one, and it's bloody divine, but I'm sure Beth's would be more complex and :D

I would love love love for BPAL to make an amber, vanilla bean, and cardamon scent  :D Ambra del Nepal makes one, and it's bloody divine, but I'm sure Beth's would be more complex and  :D

On the subject of dream amber blends, I fully intend to make myself a blend featuring amber, cinnamon, and musk. Um...inspired by the same person who inspired this thread because he smells so freakin' good. :P

Shug-Niggurath dries down to a beautiful ginger-amber perfume.  Try it!

oooh I'm rather excited to read that as I have a bottle on order...

I'm loving my Ides of March :P

Check out any places that sell powdered incense.  So far, I've only found it in one place.  The company that made the kind I have makes various other kinds of powdered incense (Three Kings, Temple of the Winds, etc.)

Ah, but looking at my package, I see they have a website:

matchlessgifts.com

Hope that helps!

By the way, I also love amber blends.  I haven't tried one that I feel is the "ultimate amber oil" yet, but I also haven't reviewed Brisingamen or Hetairae, both of which I remember having amber in it. 

Some that I've tried and loved are:  Black rose (I can definitely tell there's some amber in here), O, La Petite Mort, Bastet, Jezebel, Blood Amber

On a side note, I don't get much amber from Haunted, and I don't get lemon, either, though I do get citrus - on me, it's more of an orange than a lemon, though.

Now I understand why some of these scents have me from hello....Thanks :P

QoC and KoC are gorgeous amber scents, although the amber only peeps out during drydown for me :P

Another vote for The Lion!

Also, maybe using an amber soap (like Killer Beez or the limited Asphyxiate from Villainess would help boost the amber?

Another thought is to amp up the amber in any blend with a single note, either through swapping for one of BPAL's, or bought elsewhere. I know Attar Bazaar has a good amber.

For me, I can't go past Blood Amber when it comes to amber blends. I can't stop sniffing my wrist when I wear it and it makes me feel happy.

It's very hard to acquire, but I am in love with Egyptian Amber SN. Subtle but so beautiful and complex for a single note. A good substitute is Tunisian Amber by Attar Bazaar, which is slightly stronger.

No one's mentioned Anubis yet. It's surprisingly underrated and yet it's so gorgeous-the amber's almost like honey in this.

Saint Germain also has some amber, with carnation and lavender-it's a very unisex blend, I think.

I also am a huge Bastet fan. It's yummy and makes me feel feline!

And I adore Spellbound, but amber's not the dominant note there. Ditto with Hollywood Babylon, another lovely scent.

I'm going to spoil the BPAL mood here and suggest you get yourself a small chunk of amber resin. It acts like solid perfume - just stroke it gently on your pulse points and you will smell divine.

What a brilliant idea! I bought a little chunk of amber resin at my friendly neighborhood occult/magic/pagan shop for five bucks (which happens to be called Amber Moon), and I love it! Just like Alice suggested, I just stroke it on my pulse points (wrists, insides of elbows, neck), and it smells wonderful. It's a very warm, rich scent that's sweet, a bit spicy, and even has a somewhat (almost, kind of) buttery note to it, although it's not even the least bit foody. It's a very subtle, soft, second-skin kind of scent that clings close but lasts all day. I love it on its own, but I think I'm going to try layering it with Snake Oil or O.

Thanks for the great idea, Alice!

some suggestions:

Blood Amber - really rich & warm

Black Rose - if you like rose notes layered with your amber

The Lion - I didn't like it all that much, it was a bit too "dry" smelling, but it is a good amber scent

Sin - heavy & resiny & totally sexy

Brisingamen - probably the most ambery BPAL scent i've tried. lovely.

Verdandi - apple & black amber. yummy.

The Lion is the closest thing I've found to pure Egyptian Amber :D Haunted dries down to pure Egyptian Amber too :P

Again with the spoiling of the bpal mood, but if you're into amber scents, you should check out edenbotanicals.com. They carry a line of amber essence oils and solid resins that are absolutely gorgeous, and the site contains lots of interesting info about what exactly amber actually is and where it comes from (as well as lots of fun EO/aromatherapy/natural perfumery stuff).

I have yet to meet a fragrance, bpal or otherwise, that can't be improved by a drop or two of amber essence oil. It makes the amber-y bpal (O is my favorite so far; admittedly I haven't tried many yet) even more amber-y, and adds a lovely warm richness to the non-ambery ones (Ophelia, oddly enough, is lovely layered with amber).

Yep, I do love me some amber. :P

Work with me here. Try Megaera. It has some other notes, but on drydown, the amber really becomes prominent, with just a touch of fruit and citrus to brighten it up.

So I've just tried Brisingamen for the first time and oh my GOD - this is the long-lasting, sexy warm scent I've been looking for since swearing off the other perfumeries and going BPAL. I assume it's the amber that's doing it - I'm not getting much/any myrtle or carnation (bleeegh) from it. So my question - which other amber scents are there that I should try? I have an imp of The Lion heading my way soon, but anything else?

There's a great discussion thread up on amber here. I've just recently discovered that I like certain ambers too (though it can sometimes get too sweet on me). Good luck in your search!

my favorite amber-prominent blends:

Baghdad - rosy, spicy, exotic amber

Verdandi - apples and amber

Golden Priapus - if you like vanilla, pine, and more masculine scents

Haunted - thick, spooky amber

Black Forest - like Haunted, but with foresty notes

Titus Andronicus - also like Haunted, but with orange notes

Old Scratch - lavender, vanilla, and amber

If you can wear dragon's blood or honey, most people seem to like Blood Amber and O.

The Lion is great, so warm and sexy and just...gah!

If you also like black musk, Haunted is very nice. And then there's always O---a classic BPAL amber favorite.

But my personal faves (besides The Lion) are Spellbound and Sin. Spellbound is amber + rose and Sin is amber+ patchouli. I think they're pretty sexy blends, and I always get a little swing in my hips when I wear them.

The Lion sounds like it'll be bang on the mark then...

Interesting then that so many of the scents mentioned have amber in, because I didn't get ambe from any of them! Golden Priapus was lovely but in a "spicy vanilla walking through the forest" way. Spellbound was just overwhelmingly "little hippy shop that sells candles and sequinned skirts", and gave me a headache.

Baghdad sounds promising though. Not sure about dragon's blood as I don't think I know what it smells like.