Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
viciousviolet

Sacred Whore of Babylon

And upon her forehead was a name written, Mystery, Babylon the Great, the Mother of Harlots and Abominations of the Earth. An ancient formula that inspires unrepentant decadence, lechery and debauch.

First, I get a very strong sharp green scent. I almost washed it off but decided to wait it out a bit.

After a few hours, I can just barely detect the sweet spiciness that everyone else has mentioned, but it's dominated by the sharp green scent.

Alas, this whore is not for me.

Oh. My.

Gardenias--beautiful, golden, and almost nutty, wrapped up in more goldeness and a soft spice. People call this floral, and I guess it's true with so much gardenia, but I tend to think of 'floral' as more like roses et al. This is definitely not in that zone. This is creamy, seductive, and lovely. Definitely a new favorite.

I had an imp of this on order, and then I got an extra in a different order. I'm glad to be stocking it up, but I suspect I'm going to need a lot more than two imps...

I tried this blend as a freebie. I am discovering that even though I like the scent of gardenia as a flower, I can not abide being surrounded by it. I do love the darker scent in this, which I think might be myrrh, but on my skin the gardenia and the other notes are strange bedfellows. It was a powerful, almost stomach-turning scent, both intensely sweet and dark.

I like this one. Very heavy floral. Exotics, couple with something deeply smokey and a little sweet, not not too sweet. A little spice too.

The scent is very gardeniaesque to me, heady but not overpowering. Sultry. It lasts too! About five hours and still strong. Nice!

Yes, strangely enough, it smells like something from my grandma's perfume bottles I would spray myself down with as a child. But I think Grandma would be turning in her grave at the title of this one!

I don't know if this is something I would buy 5ml of, but I will keep the imp. Once my bottle of Gardenia oil gets low, this might be a buyer. :P

Edited by Madame Nyx

Wet, this was absolutely repulsive on me - like stringent, floral-scented cleaning fluid. I waited it out and slowly the floral turned a little softer and more natural - I know everyone has mentioned gardenia but I also thought I smelled daffodil or lilies. And yet the loudness of it never really went away. Sorry to say, there was nothing sacred about this scent - on me it came through more like a cheap streetwalker perfume than a sacred whore. :P

Edited by Nepthys

Upon initial application: Strong scent of fruits, very sweet. No, wait -- maybe a floral scent mixed with something that smells like licorice (?) I keep second-guessing myself and taking another whiff off my wrist, and I keep getting that faint licorice smell.

After awhile, I think I can detect cinnamon. The fruitiness wears off, on me, but that licorice whiff stays.

A much more edible-type scent than I expected.

I'm going to send this imp off to a friend who used to style herself the Scarlet Whore of Babylon, and see if it works differently with her skin :P

Nepthys....I couldn't have said it better myself!! This is just a screamingly loud, heady floral perfume that makes me feel kind of nauseous. :P

In the bottle : Confusion...I smell a fruity incense smell, if that makes any sense at all. This is nothing like what others described, so something must be going weird with my nose.

On my wrist : Yow! Is that what gardenias smell like? There's an extremely heavy floral jumping out at me, and that's about all I smell for the first 15 minutes. Then a spicy scent starts to come through, and an herbal smell...cinnamon, maybe, maybe a bit of mint? Something is stinging my nose slightly, and cinnamon doesn't usually do that. I also smell a softer floral- I'm not sure if that's just the gardenia backing off, or if there's something else in here, like honeysuckle or carnation. Once it has dried, this is a very creamy, spicy floral.

After about 2 hours, this morphs into a buttery spicy scent that leaves the floral out almost completely. This is just lovely, though the first 15 minutes were rather overwhelming. It also got complimented by my best friend/sometime-boyfriend, who can be rather picky about what he likes. It didn't inspire an evening of unrepentant lust...but I'm having too much fun sniffing my wrists to care.

I have 2 imps of this (2 freebies from the Lab and another forumite, thanks so much!) that I will use and enjoy, and then I'll see where I am from there. This is a terrific scent, but I'd like to see how comfortable I am with it in regular use before I commit to a bigger bottle.

In the Bottle: Sacred Whore of Babylon smells like almond oil and vanilla.

On Me: I must confess, I'm not too fond of sickeningly sweet almond oil like this. Its too sweet and overpowering, like too much air spray in the hopes of covering up something nasty. Its literally turning my stomach, yuck. I'm not waiting for this one to dry down, its off to the swaps.

In the vial, Sacred Whore of Babylon was very smoky, a note of which I am not too fond. Luckily, on my skin the smokiness immediately disappeared, to be replaced by a very strong and sweet floral with a hint of spicy vanilla.

I waited and waited for the blend to settle, thinking that the floral note was going to mellow as it usually does. No such thing happened. Sacred Whore actually stayed exactly the same before, through and after drydown.

I am a little puzzled by this blend. I like it. I truly do. It is a very nice floral with an underlying creamy sweetness, which are notes that I usually enjoy. Yet this is something of a guilty pleasure, because there is something about it that is... I don't want to say vulgar, maybe over the top would be a better way to say it. It is a powerful scent, but it is not what bothers me so much as its loudness. I might enjoy it as a room scent ot toned down in a lotion, but this is too flashy for me to wear as a perfume.

Oke, on the list with"notes i don't like" I just added Gardenia. I had no clue how gardenia smells like but is that is what's prominent in SWOB i really dislike it.

To me it smells like a chemical sort of jasmine. Very sticky and heavy. I doesn't mellow or morph at all.

But will give it another try in 10 days or so as it's currently "that time of the month' :P

ADDED March 4:

Not reviewed this yet? hmmmm, oh well here goes:

Jasmine jasmine jasmine...strong jasmine, overpowering jasmine, never fading Jasmine.

It reminds me a bit of Follow me Boy without the bubble gum.

I like it but only when i want to get noticed or on PMS week cause the jasmine is quite conforting and jasmine seems to be growing on me

This is one of the perfumes I joked about when I first visited the site. "Look honey, they have Sacred Whore of Babylon!" I didn't honestly expect that I would actually like it, let along like it so much I'd buy a 5ml bottle. Surprise! I love this scent.

In the bottle: Strong and sultry, strongly smelling of spice and a floral note that I can’t identify. (I'm new to this identifying scent notes idea, and everyone says it's gardenia, so we'll go with gardenia.) Sort of reminds me of one of my late mother’s favorite perfumes, Cinnabar, after her chemistry had worked its magic with it. (It never smelled half so wonderful of me as on her.) My boyfriend thought it smelled faintly of amaretto. I wonder if he’s smelling the same perfume I’m smelling?

Wet, on skin: Almost overpowering spice scent. Feels like it should be diluted somehow. My boyfriend’s comment: “That perfume is standing out on the street corner in a mini skirt asking me if I want a date.” Not sure I should be pleased.

1.5 Hours on skin: The scent has mellowed a little, but still grabs you by the nose. Male friends all agree that this perfume knows how to shake it.

Drydown: The scent has mellowed considerably on me, and the gardenia and myrrh has become more identifiable without being cloying. Strong undercurrents of spice. Not so streetcorner any more. In fact, has mellowed into something considerably more...well...sacred.

Conclusion: Not a fragrance for the timid. 24 HOURS later, I could still smell the remnants of this perfume without reapplication. Only a shower removed it entirely. Will have to be very careful not to wear too much, but will definitely wear this again.

Addendum: I read on a couple places in the forum where it's a good idea to gently roll the bottle between your hands before application, in case any oils have seperated. When I did this the next time I put this on, I was surprised at just how much more cinnamon the scent became. The BF no longer thinks this smells anything like amaretto at any stage. I think I like it even better than before now. Woohoo!

Edited by Macha

At first, this is a watery scent that is very reminiscent of lotus. It stays that way for quite some time. Three hours later, there’s less lotus, but it’s a slightly more powdery, yet still watery, floral. This is more of a skin scent. In the fifth hour, this still has the same attributes as it had in the third hour, except it’s receded further into my skin and is a tad bit musky. This is an okay scent, but not for me.

In the bottle: Almost tastless, smells kind of like sweet vegetable oil

Wet: Wow, this is sweet and juicy! It smells like it has clove, maybe a bit of lavendar and gardenia? It's also a bit spearminty. Spicey and juicy all at the same time. It has that same odd feeling a lot of the voodoo blends have (sweet, tart spice thing going on)

Dry: The BF and both agree that it's like spicey pepto-bismol. The mint quality is very refreshing and the clove spice is not overpowering, instead, it rounds out the blend. I'm getting a bit of dry leaves now (the type in Hunter Moon though not quite as dry and bitter), but it might be the clove scent morphing on me.

It's taken me 3 tries to really get a sense of this blend. It's a keeper because the boy likes it :P. It's different and has a spicey, autumnal quality to it. Very different...I don't know if I could wear this everyday but it's still beautiful.

Edited by Rheliwen

I didn't expect to like this one either. It's a floral, fer cryin' out loud… florals normally make me wheeze, and end up nauseous, unless heavily tempered with other scents. Oh, lordy, is it gorgeous. It fades a little too quickly for me (2 hours or so! I was bummed!), but it's a positively luscious scent, with the floral balanced nicely with the other notes. It smells decadent and opulent.

Sweet and fruity. Does this have dragon's blood in it? very slight cinnamon scent to it as well. Very delicious. There's a bit of vanilla and a bit of floral. This reminds me of Dragon's Milk as well. I am in love, again.

Sacred Whore of Babylon

Swiped across wrists and along collarbone.

Initial Wet (8-8:30am): Rose? Almond? Cherry? Even my kittie thought this was quite unique.

Initial Dry (8:30-10am): This is definitely some kind of floral with nuts. It no longer smells of rose – but something I can’t quite identify (a lot of people say, gardenia … but I’m not sure). And under the floral is this nutty scent that could be almonds.

Throughout the Day (10am-on): Something incensy-spicy is making its way to the top, and it could be myrrh – ‘cause it’s bringing on a killer headache.

Please don’t get me wrong, this is truly an amazing scent. Beth’s oils are always so complex and wonderful. This has morphed into a spicy-incense resting atop a gentle floral. I don’t dislike the scent of myrrh – I dislike the myrrh-induced headache. :P

I love this scent ... :P :D

In the imp: incence! Strong incense with miles of throw (myrrh?) Cinnamon, Cardamom, Nutmeg, woods....

Swiped on my wrist wet:

This was unexpected, but a very cool slightly wet, pine... With a midground of something floral..... Carnation? that's not possible in an ancient Middle Eastern blend....And the incense again Myrrh? Cinnamon, nutmeg

10 minutes- drydown... The carnation comes to the foreground, I love this stage, but it's already fading to pure spiced pine.... Doesn't matter though because I love the coolness of pine with the underpinning of warm spices.... Perfect for a freezing day like today.... I smell some woods too... I'm so in love with this blend I can't stop sniffing myself........ This isn't fading in the least, but the throw has calmed down just enough to keep my nose glued to my wrist.... :D :D

-Miriam

ETA: I finally figured out what that slightly marine piney note was! It's Sage and Thyme playing together... With a little Rosemary thrown in perhaps....

ETA2:(9:01 PM) I am indeed an idiot! I just re-applied this luxurious scent and then it hit me..... GARDENIA!!!!! But I say again Beth is a genius, because the spices and herbs are still there, and I still get that minty cool "Pine" feeling... Damn this is fabulous!

In the vial, i didn't get any floral or vanilla or cinnamon, I got something sharp that felt like it singed my nose. Kind of a metalic something.

wet: the sharpness is still there but the floral (yup gardenia) is starting to grow.

drydown: much much nicer, whatever that sharp note was, it was almost painful, but only lasts 5 min or so. Then it i a nice, musky, smokey,cinnamon, wine, gardenia, all of these notes seemed balanced and none are right there alone, it is very complex, very beautiful, lots of throw, it is very sexy and womanly, a naughty sexy type smell, I love it! It surprised me because wet I was tempted to wash it off, I am going to try it a few more times, before I commit to buying a big bottle because I do not like the first 5 min. But then again dry it might be worth it.....argh decisions.

Initial sniff: I smell gardenia, cinnamon, other spiciness, and something resinous - possibly amber, but probably myrrh. Strong florals are always a little iffy on me, but we'll see!

Wearing: The gardenia is almost overpowering upon first application, but the myrrh quickly leaps into action and takes control. This dries to a lovely floral incensey resin, and it stays that way for hours and hours.

Final Impressions: I think Macha said it best - this scent really does know how to shake it! A bit powerful for everyday wear, it is definitely a keeper nonetheless!

In the bottle: Mmm! Sweet, floral...very yummy, very bright and shiny.

On me: Rosy, flowery, but not cloying. I feel like I'm wearing a spring garden! Do NOT wear this if you don't like/cannot wear florals. Personally, I like this as much as I thought I might. It's so pretty, so girlie, and while I'm not normally crazy about girlie scents, this one is just irresistable. Light, sweet, fresh-smelling, very very pretty.

And so: Like it very, very much! Actually was my first 5ml, and it's already on the 10ml list. :P

Sacred Whore of Babylon was very strong at first. A floral scent that I can't seem to pick out. I think a wild rose. The rose stays for a while and then it dries down to a creamy vanilla sprinkled with cinnamon sugar. This is going to be a great scent to wear to the clubs. Strong for dancing and then dying down to a relaxing scent for crash and burn sleep.

ADDED Feb. 4:

This is the second time that I have tried Sacred Whore. I was very unsure the first time and still not too sure. I like the fact that it stays for a long time, but the sweetness and floral. I just dont' know. I'd like to give it a third try. I will update later.

I bought this from someone on the forum randomly, just to try. I am so glad I did because Sacred Whore of Babylon is amazing!

First sniff out of the bottle- MMmmmm, yummy! Juicy, spicy fruit! Smells like Spiced figs cooked in cherry brandy.

After 10 minutes- OMG I never would have thought this would be so good. I am smelling the gardenia coming through...mixed with a Spiced Fig/Pear fruit scent. There is something else though....I can't quit out my finger on it.

After 30 Minutes- As it settles the spices come out more. Do I detect a hint of black pepper mixed with the cinnamon? Maybe a touch of vanilla?

Summery- Spiced Figs and Pears cooked in Brandy and Vanilla served to you by a half naked sexy man while lounging in a 1001 Nights style boudoir draped in layers of flimsy sheer chiffon.

I am getting a big bottle for sure. :P

Mmmmm....this makes me feel fiesty! All I'm really picking up on in the scent is spicy goodess o' plenty. For some reason it makes me want to dance.

Sacred Whore is all about the strength. Most oils wear off me in a matter of hours. I have been wearing this one for 16 hours now and I can STILL smell it. AND I have exercised and bathed. o___O. I have no idea why it's sticking it out but I guess I'll be sleeping Sacred Whore style tonight. Yeehaw.

The decision: I'm pleasantly shocked to find I like this scent. It gives me a bit of a headache, but that is something I can live with. I certainly didn't expect to enjoy it and wouldn't have tried it if Rheliwen hadn't been nice enough to give an imp to me. :P Yay for BPAL buddies!!