Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Thagirion (one of the Qliphoth) is my favorite scent with grape - it is really unusual because it's crisp and light, like white grape juice with a hint of vanilla. Titania seems to use the same type of light, white grape note combined with a lot of fruit.

On me, Bess seems to have a true purple grape note without any trace of booze, even though the description describes it as "grape spirit." And the fruit in Bordello also seems very grape-like on me, even though it should be a combo of plum and burgundy wine.

Lilith was grape and rose on me. Also, Eat Me was very "Grape Ape! Grape Ape!" on me, too. I know it lists the fruit as "currants", but all I kept saying all day after I slathered was "That's grapes! That is grapes! I know grapes when I smell grapes!" Yes, bad grammar and everything. :P

I turn wine notes (not champagne luckily, but most wine notes) into grape juice or grape Kool-Aid, and labdanum into pretty heavy grape-berry notes, so Skuld and Horreur Sympathique turned into grape lollipop shells on me (though somehow subtle, and Horreur had hints of brown sugar from time to time), and Centzon Totochtin goes from a tiny bit of cocoa and tons of grape juice in the wet stage, to nearly cloying grape juice, to subtle dusty cocoa with a juicy hint, and in the final, long-lasting stages, pure purple grape juice.

Horreur Sympathiqe was all big ripe purple grapes on me, especially wet. There was another one that smelled exactly like the bubbly pink grape juice we sometimes have for special occasions and now I can't remember what it was.

Is there a scent that has the fresh grape scent (gah NOT the faky bubblegum smell) that ISN'T a boozy wine?

Tempest, I have a 'grape soda' issue with "Blood Rose," "Wanda," and a number of the other fragrances with wine at certain points of the month. Trust me, "grape soda" is not a personality mesh.

However, Urd, which has a lead note of muscadine grounded by a base of patchouli really smells fantastic. The patchouli offers it a earthy "from the vineyard" feel, and the champa keeps the grape note on top of the patchouli.

It is truly a fresh grape to my nose, not sweet, exactly, but with that fresh grape tang. It's also one of the few fruity blends that regularly works for me. I'd recommend swapping for an imp of Urd even if you are cautious about patchouli (though probably not if you really hate it, as it is definitely a presence in the blend.)

Its been a long time since Ive been here last (2 years), lots of things have changed in my life, moved a few times, and have been really dry as far as my spending limitations have gone! Now I find myself back here for other reasons.. I'm 5 months pregnant and now I find that the only thing that really relaxes and makes me happy are the precious smellies I have. I need more though! I really adore grape smelling things and I know that high john the conqueror and purple phoenix are supposed to smell grape-ish, are there any others that have grape qualities?? :P

If you like Snake Oil, try Temple Viper. For some weird reason, it smells very grape-soda-ey. It's good though!

Congratulations on your pregnancy and welcome back to the forum :P

There are a couple threads on pregnancy and BPAL, one in FAQs and one in recs that may have some tips for you - in particular, I believe that the lab doesn't recommend using perfumes during pregnancy at all. A scent locket or an oil burner to scent your room may give you the fix you need while making sure that you minimize the possibility of absorbing anything you & your baby don't need through your skin. (Of course, ultimately your doctor is the best source of information on what you should avoid and what is safe.)

Blood Phoenix has a very grape-like quality on me, especially when it's wet and in the first hour or so.

Congratulations on your pregnancy and welcome back to the forum :D

There are a couple threads on pregnancy and BPAL, one in FAQs and one in recs that may have some tips for you - in particular, I believe that the lab doesn't recommend using perfumes during pregnancy. A scent locket or an oil burner to scent your room may give you the fix you need while making sure that you minimize the possibility of absorbing anything you & your baby don't need through your skin.

Blood Phoenix has a very grape-like quality on me, especially when it's wet and in the first hour or so.

Oh my, I had no idea!!, thanks for letting me know.. I will definitely start using a locket! :P

to me, prospero is just grape. no wine, no syrup, just grape.

I'm sure you haven't done anything that's harmed your baby - it's just that everything that goes on your skin does get absorbed to some degree, so The Lab has advised people who have e-mailed them about the subject to abstain from wearing perfume at all. I suspect that this is not because it is terribly dangerous, but because after consulting with their lawyers and analyzing the number of scents they sell, the number of people wearing them, the number of components going into those scents, the batch variations that can occur with natural oils, not to mention the varying amounts different people use and the zillion factors other outside their control, there is no way that they can guarantee safety to each and every person - therefore they must advise pregnant women not to wear it at all.

Those threads do contain information people have compiled about essential oils that should definitely be avoided, reports from several mommies who used BPAL, creative tips on using scent without applying it to your skin, and other helpful info.

:P Well put, ivyandpeony. The cautionary note isn't there to panic you, engelvonblut, simply to alert you to the fact that pregnancy + BPAL = one great unknown. Congratulations, and I'm very envious - I wasn't able to stand most BPAL while I was pregnant. :D

Meanwhile, back at Grape Central, I'd recommend Cairo & Blood Phoenix, for sure, and Midnight Kiss. Depending on your chemistry, opium may read as grape for you, so Parliament of Monsters & Dr John Seward might be worth trying.

Edited by tartchef

I can't believe no-one has mentioned Madrid! That was nothing at all but grapes...it said wine, but it sure was grapes.

Urd too, but everyone said that already.

to me, prospero is just grape. no wine, no syrup, just grape.

I would like to second Prospero as being extremely grape-y.

*shudder*

I hates the grape.

Edited by Apple

On me, Bess seems to have a true purple grape note without any trace of booze, even though the description describes it as "grape spirit."

I get the exact same effect from Bess: just grapes, no alcohol. Though, weirdly, I don't get "grape" from High John the Conqueror.

Athens = grape, honey, and incense. I like it because it's fruity, but at the same time it has a little more depth than a lot of the other fruity BPALs I wear -- it feels more "dressed up".

BESS BESS BESS!!!!! I can't believe Bess doesn't seem to stand out to everyone as being extremely grapey!!! To me, BESS is pure Grape, but done in a way that it is a wonderful perfume that I want to smell of. The sensual, come closer perfume of grape, just as Welches purple grape juice is sweet to the tastebuds, if you know what I mean. If you love grape, get yourself an imp of this!

I think I am the opposite of many people here; I don't usually get an overpowering grape smell from wine notes. I am feeling lucky right now. Anthesteria is the strongest grape scent I have smelled thus far.