Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
kebechet

Site update in progress. Good & bad news.

Can you believe it? I actually have a day off from the theatre. :P

I'm working on the site update today and trying to finish all the last emails. The postal issue has escalated a little -- Brian lost it yesterday trying to post everyone's order through Click & Ship for the upteenth time in three days. When I say lost it... I mean lost it. I think we may be switching to UPS or FedEx after all. The USPS implemented a new batch order system that is faulty as hell. I won't bore you all with the details, suffice to say it doesn't freakin' work and as a result nothing has gone out into the post since Friday. Now, if we switch, there's good news -- orders will be easier to track, and the tracking info will be more precise. The bad news is that UPS and FedEx are both more expensive, and it'll cost a bit more as we're going to have to purchase boxes for shipping [as opposed to using the free ones that the USPS provides]. I will keep everyone posted as we go through the transition.

More bad news: due to the escalating cost of producing the oils [several key oils have shot up in price, as have their herbal counterparts], the increase in the cost of the damn bottles [the manufacturer raised the prices, and the distributors we deal with jumped up with it] and the cost of having to hire two more people, I'm going to have to bump up the price of the oils slightly. As always, we're doing our best to keep the prices as low as possible, but I have to do something since our profit margin on the oils is now just under $0.50 per bottle in most cases, and we're losing money on some scents. I love you guys, but I do have to make some money doing this. :D If I win the lottery, you'll all get a buttload of oils for free. The price of the sample packs will NOT increase, but the price of the 5ml's will likely have to go up about $1-$2 per bottle. I swear I will keep it as low as possible.

The slightly good news: prices won't change til May 1st.

News that is neither good nor bad: until we can get ourselves a proper credit card system, we're still stuck using third part processors. I cannot afford CcNow any longer -- the 9% is simply TOO high for us to bear, and is causing us to lose money on 4 out of 5 orders -- we will likely be switching to PayPal in the interim. This change will not take place until some time in May. I will, of course, keep everyone posted.

The good news: new smells in progress! A peek at the scents for the next update --

Arcana

Frankincense, rosemary, lavender, neroli, and lemon verbena.

Danube

Rhododendron and bellflower petals swirl through deep, cool, dark aquatic notes.

Kali

The sacred blooms of cassia, hibiscus, musk rose, Himalayan wild tulip, lotus and osmanthus swirled with offertory dark chocolate, red wine, tobacco, balsam and honey.

Lex Talionis

Dark myrrh, vetiver, cardamom, violet, black pepper, sage, cedarwood and black patchouli with a clarion note of sharp white grapefruit.

Nephilim

Black patchouli and vetiver with red sandalwood, black amber, rosemary, lavender, oakmoss, white cedar and pine.

Old Prague

Crocus with snowdrop and three lilies.

Ouija

White sandalwood, redwood and teak notes with wispy blue lilac, tea rose, white rose and ethereal osmanthus.

Queen Gertrude

Violet, delphinium, wisteria and chrysanthemum.

Rage

Black amber erupting with a dark volcanic surge of fiery dragon’s blood and a burst of melati, rose geranium, mandarin and black currant.

Schrodinger’s Cat

Bitter orange, violet leaf and basil with pink pepper, nutmeg, white and red sandalwood, dark musk, cedarwood and orange blossom.

Szepasszony

A chilly, tempestuous whirlwind of clear, airy notes, slashing rain, and a thin undercurrent of white flowers.

Ulalume

Starry white lilies lend an eerie brightness to the deep black wooded scents of cypress and oak, layered with a touch of crushed dried leaves and the faintest aquatic note.

Also working on:

Chaos

Mata Hari

Midnight

Mystery

Nemesis

Pandemonium

Pele

Savage

Scarecrow

Vitriol

Plus others mentioned in the last site update, and a few that I'm not quite ready to mention.

The last of the good news:

A special edition scent is coming out for May Day -- it is, of course, 'Beltane'.

:D for all of you.

Price increase, heck we'll have to live with that. We do want you guys to eat every once in a while :P

And the update looks very promising! (o who am I kidding -it looks absolutely fabulous!)

i really don't consider any of that to be bad news... i love your oils enough to weather a price increase, and, hey, you gotta live, too, right? and that takes money. :D

sooooo, i just hope you get your shipping/email snafu sorted out!

oh, and screw ccnow - i thought they looked shady from day one... paypal is international, and a breeze for consumers to use. good choice!

i'm looking forward to adding several of your new scents to my wish list! muuuaaahaaahhaaa!!! :P

{{hugs}}

Right on Beth! I think it will be so much better for you guys (stress wise) if you just go ahead and switch up to UPS or FedEx. I personally don't mind paying extra at all. And I'm also glad you're ditching CCNow. They completely suck and 9% is WAY too much for you to pay, especially when you only make .50 per bottle. Fuck em. And I totally don't blame you for raising the prices on 5ml's either. Your business is certainly getting larger and in order to accomodate the larger volume of oils and having to hire new people...it's completely understandable. In my opinion BPAL oils are worth way more then you charge so an extra buck or two is not asking too much!! :P

Ooh yummy! I can't wait! I was already planning for my second order anyway :D

And I agree that UPS and FedEx are *heaps* more reliable. If we didn't have to deal with USPS at all at my job, my life would be very much easier.

Though, I just placed an order last night. That won't be affected by any migration to new systems, will it? :P

i really don't consider any of that to be bad news...  i love your oils enough to weather a price increase, and, hey, you gotta live, too, right?  and that takes money. :D

sooooo, i just hope you get your shipping/email snafu sorted out!

oh, and screw ccnow - i thought they looked shady from day one...  paypal is international, and a breeze for consumers to use.  good choice!

I agree! :P

It's all good! And I'm tickled about some of the new scents...

--Amy

:P If I win the lottery, you'll all get a buttload of oils for free.

Promise!? :D

I'm sure everyone else will agree with me on this, I don't see how any of us could complain about the prices going up.

And the new oils .. I'm so excited about so many of them. I do have a curious question. Scarecrow .. is this the start of a Wizard of Oz theme? *hopeful smile* Shouldn't it be called Fiero instead? :D

This sounds very promising. I'm glad you're ditching USPS & CCNow. Things are looking up! And no, I'm not complaining if you have to raise the prices some. Anything that'll make things go smoother for you and for us, is ok by me! :D

-Milk

ETA: Ouija sounds so good! :P

Edited by MilkAndSugar

I think that's all GREAT news! The shipping situation will be straightened out, CCNow can go take a flying leap, and a buck or two per 5mL isn't going to phase me in the least.

The new scents sound amazing as always. And may I say, it sure was good to see your post. Missed you! :P

This is all fine with me! I did just place an order through CCNow. If you want me to, I'll cancel it & put it through later on Pay Pal. The order number is 42-5166, placed 4-12-04. I'll do whatever is best for you.

Hope Brian is doing better. I've got a knock-you-out (I had written "kick-ass" but somehow that seemed like a contradiction) relaxation blend, if he would like to try it. Just promise me he won't wear it & drive.

:P To the BPAL Ladies & Lords!

if you have to increase pricing, or change shipping methods, definitely go for it if it will make your job run smoother. don't need all the added stress, and i know it's a nuisance to hear all the bitching from people waiting for their orders...

(but on the good side, doesn't it make you feel good to know that items you made are adored by people just that much!!)

yay for new scents, i think nephilim and rage sound particularly lovely.

Edited by nenia

I spoke with my postman just the other day and he said FedEx and USPS have cut some sort of a deal. Something to the effect that USPS are delivering some of thier packages.

Price increases are no problem! Your better quality and less exspensive than some of the oils the meta-physical shops carry here!

As many others have said, the price increases are absolutely reasonable/warranted. You certainly won't lose my business in the future!

The news scents sound heavenly! I am especially stoked on Arcana and Kali.

It sounds like the changes that are going to happen are all for the best.

Don't bother at price increases!!! You are still waaaayyyy better priced that the "Chanel bros' If fact for one bottle of Chanel 5 we get approx. 2 5ml and set of Imps!

Very happy to see the new scents as well... Just today finished with composing a little order :P

But the huge spring order will have to wait till the new scent are out.. MUST have Beltane :D :D

Yay for the site update and Yay for the new oils. None of the "bad news" is really bad, I for one have no problem with the price increases, as long as we can continue ordering and you can continue creating new oils I am a very happy gal.

All of the changes you've presented sound perfectly reasonable. No one ever likes price increases, but if they help keep the business running smoothly, that benefits all parties involved. Besides, no one's so unreasonable that they can't understand that businesses need to make money. Do what you need to do sweetheart!

The new fragrances sound lovely, btw. Kali look particularly promising. Can't wait!

Oh and *cough* I wasn't going to say anything lest I lose some of the element of surprise and add to your already massive pile of PM's and emails, but I do have to inquire to see if you might have gotten a package notice in the Lab's (physical) mailbox? If you have, do get thee to the post office ASAP to pick it up. Because some surprises at the post office are nice. :D

But I'll say no more. :P

i don't mind a price increase in the least as long as it means i get my package! on the upside, danube, kali, old prague, queen gertrude, rage & ulalume sound miraculous!

1. Price change? Fuhgeddaboutit. You're worth every dollar. Anybody who complains can either go back to Charlie at Eckerd, or can have my extra imp of Bloodlust up the batoot.

2. Shroedinger's Cat? My god, you are brilliant. The update looks amazing.

3. When I saw the bit about "bring on the Red Bull", I thought you might have come up with some Last Unicorn oils and I'd have to order again. Red Bull, Amalthea, Molly Grue, Schmendrick, Harpy... *drool*.

4. Does that mean that orders claimed by CCNow to be "awaiting shipment" won't be out for quite some time? I may have to buy fake fingernails to chew.

5. Finally, it is in our best interest to put your happiness and sanity over our own immediate needs, because if you crack up and Brian goes Hulk, we don't get any more oils. We'd rather pay more dollars and wait more days, secure in the knowledge that you'll be kicking ass for years to come. Yeah, we're needy and fanatical, but we also worship you and spread your gospel, so hopefully it's a symbiotic relationship, eh?

Keep up the good fight!

I agree with everyone - none of these changes are bad news, these oils are superb and kick ass over anything else on the market, IMO. :P

WOW those sound wonderful!!! I can't wait to check out Mata Hari and Kali sounds breathtaking!! Thanks for all your hard work! Your oils are so precious!

I just re read and you are in the process of making a Pele perfume???!!!!

:P

Edited by Nadirah

I'm so excited for the new scents, also!

And you do what you need to do to stay in business!

I might have to curb my spending a little when they go up, but I'll still continue to buy. (I'm a starving student, well, not starving, but poor)

Okay, somebody please explain Paypal to me. I'm flipping out cuz I don't know anything about it and I don't have it. When I mentioned it to my hubby in the past, he said something about identity theft and that I wasn't going to use it!! Anyway, would someone kindly explain how it works?

Also, Question for Beth............Will you take a personal check if I don't use Paypal?

Beth..........after looking at the new scents, I hope you'll be able to help me with scent recommendations, as I am not familiar with a lot of the new ones!!!

Edited by lorajc

Thats excellent news!

Hopefully the price increase will allow a bit more profit for yourselves, god knows you deserve it.

^^!!!