Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A Latin word that means to sigh or draw a deep breath, that also suggests longing, desire, yearning, and a passionate wish. Ylang ylang with white plum, white orchid, jasmine, calla lily and lily of the valley.

In the imp: D'oh. Jasmine. *sigh* It's not that I hate jasmine, it's just that after testing New Orleans I'm feeling sort of jasmined-out...

Wet on me: Still jasmine; some very pretty sweet lilies and a bit of fruit peeking through. The ylang-ylang gives this a gentle, powdery base -- either ylang-ylang or jasmine on their own can be pretty damn overpowering, but maybe they'll play nicely together.

After 5 minutes: The ylang-ylang gets warmer and stronger; the plum adds just a touch of juiciness that keeps it all from being too powdery.

Drydown: A good balance between all the notes! Even jasmine doesn't dominate the blend.

This is rather what I hoped that Seduction (from the Panacea series) would smell like; the ylang-ylang here is like the good twin compared with the evil twin of Seduction. The drydown phase doesn't give me a headache the way Delight did.

Overall verdict: I like! :P

Suspiro

Another nice, quiet, floral. I like florals that are delicate; they are feminine without being overpowering. I mostly pick up on the Jasmine in this. I asked my husband what he thought, and he said it was "nice" and asked if it was the same one I wore last night (Pontarlier). This, like Pontarlier, feels like late Spring, early Summer.

[1 - Hate] .. [2 - Dislike] .. [3 - Like] .. [4 - Really Like] .. [5 - Love]

3 : Not a huge fan of florals, but I liked this one.

Edited by MaidenGenevive

One of the few florals I really like -- it's a very gentle, very white smell. Neither jasmine nor ylang ylang are prominent in this one, and the blend is all about orchid and lily of the valley, which is fortunate. It stays light, but lasts a while -- a perfectly nice, gentle scent , perfect for work or those occasions when more exotic blends would be inappropriate. A keeper.

Not a big fan of this one. Smells like flowery toilet cleaner with a dash of baby powder. Reminds me of Lampades, since that oil had the exact same effect on me! (I have no idea why. :P ) I've never been able to mesh with ylang-ylang, though; you may have better luck if you like that smell.

Hmm - I didn't mind the initial stage of this scent which is a heady, creamy floral, lots of ylang ylang. I like ylang ylang, but I can't stand jasmine or lily and unfortunately jasmine and lily is all I can smell after a while.

In the drydown, something about this scent reminds me of living in Venezuela. I think it may be a soap we used to use there. Scent memories are weird - I almost want to hang onto this imp just for that, even though I don't like the scent. There's no way I'll ever wear it, though.

Floral, so very floral, but nice, if you like that sort of thing. It is reminding me of Prague and Muse, both of which are pleasing for florals. It spells complex and more than a little decadent.

In bottle/imp: Ylang ylang with a touch of fruitiness.

Immediately on skin: The ylang ylang is very strong. I can also smell the jasmine, as well as a touch of the fruity plum.

After a few minutes: This has turned much sweeter. The plum, ylang ylang, and jasmine seem like the strongest notes, and I’m not getting the soapiness or powdery scent I usually get from the lab’s lily. It’s nice and fruity with the slight muskiness of the ylang ylang thrown in and a touch of floral sweetness.

Overall Impressions: This blend is a nice floral, especially if you like ylang ylang. It’s unfortunately not one of my favorites, but the orchid, jasmine, and white plum make it very pretty even if you don’t like that particular note.

Initial Impression: mixed fruity floral

On Wet: Ye, gods! Jasmine! I amp it to the nth degree..

On Dry: turns into a very soft, very blended floral with a hint of fruitiness that is quite lovely..

Final Impression: very girly, but I do like it

Rating (on a scale of 1-5): 3.5

imp: ylang ylang with lillies. i don't think this test is going to go well...

wet: jasmine with ylang ylang and a hint of lillies. this is way too floral for me.

dry: jasmine and lillies and other brash florals. this blend is just not going to work on me.

Sadly, the iffy notes in this went ifftastic on me: the plum is oversweet, and the ylang-ylang and jasmine go sour and give this a yucky, sugared band-aid smell when it dries. Not meant to be, I'm afraid.

This is nice!

I mostly get jasmine and tubersose and ylang-ylang. The plum is more in the background; I wouldn't really classify Suspiro as a fruity scent.

It doesn't last long on my skin (jasmine rarely does on me), but it's pleasant.

Much nicer when it's kept virgin in my scent locket, and lasts all day!

I don't know if it's unique enough to hold on to, but I'm glad I tried it. Pretty!

In the imp, Suspiro is uber-floral - I get ylang ylang specifically.

On my skin, the lily of the valley comes to the forefront, but there's a chorus of flowers behind it.

When it dries, it's a very light, nice floral - but it's not for me.

suspiro is all white flowers and jasmine and that just doesn't work for me. all bends like this smell exactly the same to my floral-hatin' nose.

I don't know what's going on with this. I ordered it before I realised how much BPAL's florals hate me - near-universally, except that this thing is gorgeous. Gorgeous. In the imp, all I can smell is a bucket of ylang ylang, but as soon as it hits my skin it unfolds itself and becomes genuinely a scent of longing; warm, languorous, beautiful.

Which is very welcome, but seriously, what's up with that? I wish I knew what made it one of only two non-rose florals so far not to turn into OH HI DISH SOAP on my skin...

If this was just the first three ingredients (ylang ylang, white plum, and white orchid) I think this would be perfect, or at least for me. Alas, I think there is too much lily in it, which ruins it. Oh well. I am glad I got the frimp so that I could try it at least.

I get mostly lily from this: soft, light, Easter lilies really. It smells a bit like being in a church, and the musk is like dusty bibles or hymn books in the pews. I only get a small hint of the plum.

This is a really good work blend because it has really good staying power on me, but is pleasant and not overly strong.

I unfortunately really don't care much for floral and this scent is pretty much all floral on me (I got the imp in an imp lot I ordered, so I didn't really know the scent/ingredients very well ahead of time). It was pretty strong on me, so much that I could actually "taste" what I was smelling, and unfortunately it left a really strong chemical taste. It reminded me of a lot of commercial perfumes I've smelled before, and while it's not really an unpleasant smell, it's just really not to my personal taste (no pun intended). I'm sorry, Suspiro, but you and I were just not meant to be. :D The scent's faded a lot now and I can smell something on my wrists where I put it that isn't nearly so bad, but that may just be yesterday's Dragon's Milk, which pretty much persisted all day, even after washing my hair. :P

Rating: 2/10

In the Bottle: Florals!!

On Me: Fades very quickly. Almost gone by the time I'm at work. I'm getting lily of the valley and ylang ylang. I think I'll have to add more and see how it goes.

Next Try: Oh, this is lovely! I'm so glad I gave it another shot. The lily of the Valley is the dominant note in this one, with ylang ylang and jasmine close behind. It's a very "pretty" scent, something like Beatrice that I think I could make a signature. May need a 5ml of this baby

Suspiro

Ars Amatoria

Lilies and ‘Charlie Sunshine’! An absolutly beautiful, sunny, summer scent. Light and playful, childish without a hint of ever wanting to grow up. That endless summer before you hit puberty and want to act like a tramp. After that summer, this is the scent you’d use to trick your dads friend into thinking you’re still that innocent schoolgirl. It’s so unassuming, you can morph it into anything. Act innocent, and it’s your greatest friend. Want to have a summer fling? This is your greatest ally.

Conclusion: Maybe lilies aren’t that innocent after all.

8/10. Oh my... I actually like a floral scent!

It takes a very special kind of floral perfume that is able to be wearable on me. Most florals and I will not explode together in a righteous fit of rancid ashtray-ness and washcloth attacks. Normally a floral perfume will do one of two things on me: 1. fade completely after an hour or 2. go straight to a nice soap/shampoo smell on me. It's not bad, except that I don't want to smell like shampoo. :D

Suspiro, unfortunately, is not the special kind of floral that can avoid doing one of two things and make me melt into a puddle of girly-girl femininity like Queen Mab did. *sighs* This one made it into the second category along with Beatrice. My wrist now smells like shampoo.

A really, really nice shampoo, mind you--would that all the shampoo I've ever tried smelled even this nice--but still shampoo.

I think it's the lillies, honestly. I can smell the jasmine in the background trying to fight against the lillies for something better, but it's losing the battle, sadly. Otherwise, I can definitely say that this is a very, very smooth white floral and on a person with more floral-friendly skin than I have would probably be heavenly. It's not very spicy or dark (from what I can tell, anyway). This is a very pure scent, not looking to cause any trouble at all. In the bottle it's quite nice, though--everything I've said already minus the shampoo part--so I think I'll hang on to this one and use it in the bath if I ever score an apartment with a decent tub. XDDD

Wet on my skin, Suspiro is mostly jasmine with lilies in the background. Dry, the plum is also present. This is lovely!

Sniffed in imp: Fresh-heady lily of the valley, with fainter ylang ylang and fruity plum, and a touch faint lily. Also a sort of hint of bitterness I don't recognize.

straight up diapery jasmine, and nothing else.

IT'S MAKING MY HAND ITCH

Edited by tehriaz

This was a frimp from the lab with my 13 June 08 order

First sniff: Heavy, dank floral. Dark and cool.

Wearing: OH GOD I SMELL LIKE AN OLD LADY! And...oh no, not the jasmine-cat-piss-stage!

After a little bit: Okay, ylang-ylang and the lilies have calmed down. Now it's a little creamy, much lighter and "whiter" (as in, a whiter floral than before). This I can handle.

While this calms down to a rather wistful and heady floral, I'm not that big on pure florals in the first place, on top of which there was that scary little bit when I felt like a granny whose cats left their mark on her. I'm starting to think jasmine and I don't play nicely...

Afraid that this one is headed for swaps!