Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
viciousviolet

Port-Au-Prince

Port-Au-Prince:

Dark, decadent and incomparably exotic: the rich scent of buttered rum flavored with almond, bay, clove and sassafras.

A very subtle mix of warm, exotic spices: so soft I reapplied it twice to catch the aroma again! I imagined this is what Bengal would be like without the amber...

Summary: Dry down doesn’t change the base properties; it just has no throw. Otherwise, it is an exquisite scent if you like spices! :P

Initially (wet and early dry-down), spicy, perfumey, but nice perfumey. Perfumey and I often don't get along, but I like this. Nothing went soapy or sharp. Fun, playful.

As drydown proceeded, the perfume receded into the background until it became predominantly spice with background floral influences. Didn't get much wood from it.

Fair amount of throw, but did not last a long time on me.

I don't think this is something I would wear as a regular scent, but I will definitely be wearing it around the house when the cold, winter days become dreary and depressing. It will be a fun, lively thing to have in my environment to brighten the world. I might wear it to a winter holiday party, but not to the office. Never did get the salt air.

Imp will probably be enough, but I'll enjoy it.

Two words: marzipan pirate.

Forget Anne Bonny, Jolly Roger, or Grog -- this is my new pirate dress-up scent!

Wet: :P Sweet almond underscored by clove

Drydown: Ohhhh clove, I love you! It's so sweet and sharp. Towards the end I get a waft of booze, but not a whole heck of a lot. It's mostly spices on me.

In the imp, it's blindingly sweet almond rum. On me, this is MARZIPAN OF DOOM. Marzipan seems so pale and innocently sweet. Don't trust it. It teams up with rum and will pillage your sinuses.

But after the marzipan raiders finally go away to torment someone else, it's the most beautiful delicate laurel scent. I am sad...I *want* that laurel! But the marzipan. Maybe if I aged it it would go away? Bastet went through a similar stage, and now it's all beautiful saffron.

ugh

I just knew that I was going to not like this one and boy was I correct.

I can't even get my nose to pick out the notes because I all can smell is a dirty, old cream cake where the cream has curdled.

Can't wash this one off fast enough.

In the vial: Almond-Cherry

Wet: Almond-Clove

Dry down/Dry: CLOVE. clovecloveclove.

Apparently clove amps like hell on my skin. NOTHING else came through. I like the smell of clove, but not *that* strongly.

And that's all she wrote folks. Nothing complicated here. Pure, unadultered, clove.

There’s that almond again... Fortunately once again it fades down to a nice spice. But it’s just not as wonderful as I hoped it would be.

Port-au-Prince starts off fine, since I llike almonds. But things go downhill from there and end up as Eau de D'eau. Better than Port-au-Potty, but this one is not for me.

On wet, I get a very definitive amaretto note. Upon closer inspection, I can definitely pick out the sassafras with it's almost anise-like scent. I can also get the spicy kick of clove... like clove cigarettes. This smells like it'd be a better masculine blend... perhaps I'll add it to the husbands's pile of stuff to try on. < nods >

Oh, now *this* is fabulous! Clove is definitely the top note on me and is dominating everything else. I also get an alcohol note and a bit of the almond, but not getting bay at all, and I think the sassafras is mingling with the clove. Fabulous scent!

i got this as a frimp, i normally would've avoided this one because bay rum scents tend to not do so well on me. at first i get major nuttiness and not much else. now that it's dry it's a slightly spicy, slightly woody scent, and i think mostly the clove is apparent, which i really like. this one was a pleasant surprise!

at first: Sweet, buttered, almondy rum. Gag.

on: take each characteristic above and multiply it times 50. My stomach is churning and my head is spinning. Off to swaps, and fetch me some rubbing alcohol.

-----

eta: Port-au-prince got mixed with some De Sade on my fingertips, and now it smells like a spice cabinet. Lovely, but I don't think I can stand the initial booziness.

Edited by gravedigger

Hi there. Brand new to the forum and pretty new to BPAL (since late August.)

In the imp and wet on my skin: This smells just like maraschino cherries to me. That's really the only scent I get from it.

After a little while of being on my skin, if I smell it up close I smell something that reminds me of Christmas trees and also maybe a little bit of alcohol smell.

I like this a lot and have been wearing it on a regular basis but it doesn't make me think of Port au Prince at all. More like Christmas time in New England or something. I wish I could smell the other notes in it. Oh well, it's still great stuff.

PORT-AU-PRINCE

In Bottle: Almond

On Skin: Almond screams out with it’s telltale cherry scent. The clove is second, very spicy and slightly metallic. Clove is a note that 9 times out of 10 hates me. Here is just the case, it is overwhelming the scent and it’s metallic feel just gets stronger and stronger and combined with the bay the spice just gets funky on me. The butter rum offers a delicious sweet boozy note in the background, but I can’t get past the clove. It does fit the description though… it’s very exotic and I can feel the whole “port feel”. Sadly it is not me and it’s off to the swaps. Strong throw and long wearlength.

In bottle: Oooo, Marzipan. Yes. Almost solely almond, there, slightly bittersweet.

Wet on skin: Oh, getting the lighter notes, now. There's clove threaded through the almond now, and there's bay, too. The clove comes out very quickly, overtaking the almond. I can just about get the buttery layer, though it's really faint.

Dried down: There's an almost lemony note now, but still predominately clove on my skin. Pretty Christmassy, really, but not sickly sweet. Can't smell any rum, sadly, though I like this a lot. The sharpness of the clove softens down as I wear it, letting the buttery notes come through. It's now this rather delicious spicybutterysoft scent cut through slightly with that lemonish note - the sassafras? - which is most definitely wearable. I like this one.

Decision: Keep. Mmm.

In the vial, Port-au-Prince smells just like intense almond-cherry. But... as soon as I put it

On my skin, the clove comes SCREAMING forward and overwhelms everything else. I'm not sure what bay smells like, but I think it might be what's sweetening the clove. However, I can't smell anything else. This is more a smell I would use as a room scent if I wanted my room to smell like... clove.

On dry down, the clove mellows a little but is still noticeable. The resulting blend is super-sweet and not really what I want to smell like.

I'm going to test this on the boy and see if he amps anything other than sweet clove/bay... it might smell yummy on him. (Alas, on me it is not so good.)

Wet I get a lot of cinnemon, bay and butter rum. While I liked the butterrum in Creepy, I don't think I like the mix of it here in Port-Au-Prince.

Dry There's a definate spicyness to this one that tickles my nose. It's no unpleasant, yet not something I'll wear.

Later, it smells like the candle aisle of Michales, where all the sweet, spicey and floral candles all meld together. I'm sure this is a big componant to the 'general bpal' smell of my purse at the moment.

In the imp: Almond. Sweet almond. Or cyanide. :P

Wet: Spicy almonds. Definately smell clove. Not sure about the bay. The sassafras popped up briefly, but was buried by the cloves. If I try real hard, I think I can smell the rum and butter under the clove.

Dry: The clove calmed down pretty quick on me. It's still there, but not trying to make my eyes water anymore. The bay pops up a little, too. There's almond and sassafras once you get far enough away to ditch the clove. No rum, though. I don't think I like this one. It's kinda flat to me. If I was going to go for something clovey, I'd pull out Count Dracula.

Wet: Rum, strongly so, then toasted almond with clove. The individual notes come sliding in like train cars to the platform. Not sure what sassafras smells like, so I can't pick it out.

Dry: The scents blend nicely, with almond to the fore. The clove makes it pleasantly spicy. Rum moves to the background and stays there.

Finish: The almond blends in, for a round spicy scent.

Duration: Lasts for a few hours, then retreats to nose-to-wrist level. Completely gone by 8 hours.

I did not expect to like this one, because I'm not fond of the rum scent other than in a glass. However, the rum blended in well enough to make for a very pleasant perfume. I'll definitely use the imp, if not get a 5 mL.

In the imp and wet this is a strong almond scent that quickly morphs into a spicy, mild rum. The bay leaf turns to rubber on me (:P). I smell the same warm, carnation-like note that I got from Santo Domingo, and I think I can detect a hint of the sassafras.

Interesting but not for me, I think.

Eeheehee. I couldn't wait to try this one.

Bottle/Wand: SPICES. AND ALMONDS. HOLY WOW ALMONDS.

Wet: SPICES. CLOVE. ALMOND. CLOVE. CLOVE. Rum. Butter. Mmmmmmmm, spices inna buttered rum. I love this.

Drydown: Buttered rum is coming out. So is the bay. Ohgod, I love bay. Bay rum = one of my favourite scents. Oh god, I want to eat myself. Ooooooooooohhhhhhh. I want to have sex with my imp bottle. OOOOOHHH this is so good. I CAN'T STOP shoving my nose into my arm. Ohsogood. Oooh, the sassafras is starting to come out. Just a little. Bay. Butter rum. Sassafras. Clove, hiding. Almond, also hiding, but less than the clove.

Dry:

I <3 THIS SCENT. THAT IS ALL.

Final: I am buying this, I am buying this, I am SO BUYING THIS. In a giant bottle. And Imma slather it on. Because ohmygod so good.

i knew i was gonna love this one. it is indeed boozy, and spicy. i've had a thing for spicier scents lately, especially after falling for dragon's milk. plus, the clove in this makes it a winner for me. very nice.

In bottle: Almond and clove

Wet: Faint almond, clove, powderiness(maybe the sassafras?)

Dry: The buttered rum comes out and the almond pretty much fades completely. The rum combines with the clove to make a decadent spicy blend, with a hint of warmth and creamyness in the background from the buttered rum.

Overall: Although I wasn't sure how I would like this at first. The drydown is amazing!