Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
viciousviolet

Port-Au-Prince

Dark, decadent and incomparably exotic: the rich scent of buttered rum flavored with almond, bay, clove and sassafras.

Yet another frimp I've had forever . Didn't put anything on today , so I figured I'd give something new a try . And boy am I glad I did . On me I mainly get the rum , clove & sassafras . Maybe a bit of bay & almond , but not in the forefront . This is the kind of blend I could easily wear most any day , warm or cold . Yummy isn't a strong enough description . Sexy also applies . Don't want to say it's masculine alone , but I'd say it trends that way . I'd love to smell it on the right woman as well .

Imp: Spicy

Wet: Stinky spice.

Drydown: Ack! :ack: This smells of cinnamon-y

man juice and butt.

I also smell the clove, and it's reminding me of the dentist.

Overall: I thought this would work on me. None of the notes listed are problem ones for me. Oh well, can't win 'em all.

Delicious sexy clove and cinnamon. Got it as a frimp, love at first sniff. Not something I will wear all the time, but definitely when I want to feel sexy and different. Must get 5ml now. ^_^

...ouch. :sick:

The first time I tried this one, it went on rich and alcoholic but almost immediately faded into a very dry spice that disappeared completely within the hour. But since I normally like booze and spice notes, I thought I'd try it again to see if a year's aging improved it any.

This time? Instant soap. Slightly spicy soap, maybe, but still soap. And then my skin started to turn red and irritated on the spot where I'd applied it most heavily. I had to go wash it off. Looks like I should give up on this one. :(

In the imp, I get almonds and a bit of spice. Once on my skin, it's almonds and either clove or sassafrass? I'm not really sure which. Definitely an interesting scent, we'll see how it dries down. The clove dominates in this, but it balances out with the almonds, and turns into this darkly spicy scent. Very mannish; a solid scent, but I think I'll be fine with just my two imps of this.

Edited by Venneh

In the imp: CLOVE.

Wet: NO REALLY CLOVE.

Drying: CLOVE CLOVE CLOVE. And some soapy undercurrents, turning a bit funky for a minute but rights itself on a sea of CLOVE.

I feel like this one has a tiny bit of the aquatic note that goes funky on me; either that or sassafrass smells VERY different in this combination. Sadly, I get no butter, no bay, and no rum. If you like clove though . . . ! I just don't like how overwhelming it is here.

Edit: I just realized what the spice blend reminds me of. It reminds me a bit of a ton of clove on top of the musty spice of Feeding the Dead, once the buttery cake dries up. Sadly, I had to sell that bottle and I think I'm going to get rid of this imp too. This spice blend just plain does NOT agree with me.

Edited by hazakaza

I got this as a free imp in my bag during one of the West Coast Will Calls.

For me, this is straight up marzipan. Seriously, can I just tip this into my mouth and eat it? Because it smells that delicious. With the holidays coming around, I finally decided to test this baby out. In the imp and wet, this oil is a wonderful marzipan. I think I smell something like coconut, but that may be the buttered rum. As it dries, I can pick out some of the cloves. Once it has dried down, I get the dreaded plastic note.

Damn. After twenty some oils, I've finally hit a major skin chemistry issue . . . Or have I? Because an hour after that, it turns into a lovely almond milk. Hmmmm.

Despite the brief plastic phase, I'm giving this oil high marks and will definitely add it to my bottle list. The past few weeks may not have been the best time to do testing due to hormone issues (if you know what I mean). If that hour long plastic phase persists, I will then buy a scent locket because Port-au-Prince is lovely and worth it. In the mean time, I'm smearing some oil on old handkerchiefs and tucking them into my pockets or sleeves so that I can get lovely fragrance each time I move.

Edited because a major brain fart took out my grammar skills . . . duuuuuh . . .

Edited by Kejiaron

This stuff is delicious; it's all rich buttered rum with a hint of almond; thankfully no bay leaf came out on me, because I remember when my mother used to put those i n soup sometimes and gaaaaah. It's not just warm but also "warming" in the sense of giving you the illusion you're toastier than you actually are on a bitter winter day, kind of like real rum can do. So cheers to that! :drunk:

Edited by Invidiana

One of my favorite bpals. Sweet and spicy. The main note I get out of this is clove with just a bit of sassafras. Very pretty.

Sweet rum scent, but one of the minor notes turned this into soap on my skin. Soap that smelled like rum. Kinda reminded me of Old Spice for some reason, which was my Dad's go-to fragrance. Either almond, bay or sassafras is the culprit. Anyway, trade pile with this one.

It did smell great in the imp (somewhat masculine to me, but that may be the rum talking), so I think it would be a great scent on someone who doesn't have weird skin chemistry like me.

Imp: Strong almond and rum.

Wet: Straight up buttery almond. Very strong.

Dry: Oh, clove. I rarely win with clove. This turns into a slight almond scent with an overwhelming rust aura. Very metallic and dirty. And then a weird marzipan quality. Like eating marzipan in a mechanic's shop. Really not working with my chemistry.

Throw: Mild.

Overall: Unfortunately my chemistry does not jibe.

When wet, this blend is strong and sweet- very almondy, a bit boozy, a tad spicy and the almond takes on that so-strong-it-smells-like-cherry quality.

It quickly calms down on my skin and becomes a warm clove with a hint of sweetness. It smells JUST like a sweeter version of Velvet Bandito (yummy dusty cloves) on my skin. It also reminds me a bit of Lush's Skinny Dip scent. Must be the sweet, slightly creamy notes minglng with clove in there.

After a while this settles down into a spicy gingerbread scent on me. I really am pleasantly surprised!

In the vial: Spiced Cherry Rum Punch

Wet: Hmmm...something warm and spicy is emerging...niiiiiice!

(I keep getting whiffs of cinnamon and vanilla...except the cinnamon is kind of the dried potpourri variety...)

Dry: Hmmm...theres the deeper saltier spice, as well as the bay. Now the sweetness has leveled off and its more balanced.

Run-down..this is a good version of a Bay Rum. Perfect unisex version.

Light golden oil. Foody, spicy, intense, deep/dark, sweet and a little boozy. ALMOND EXTRACT jumps out most strongly by far, but everything else is present.The rum is more buttery than boozy, but it's definitely DARK rum, reminds me of Captain Morgan's in fact. More distant are a little bitter herbal bay, sharp clove, and faint sassafras.

Still super benzaldehydey from the almond extract, but the spices start to amp immediatley. This feels quite complex. The clove is that sharp, intense sort that my skin amps like crazy, and the sassafras is coming out strongly now too, definitely a bit root-beerish but in a darker, not really sweet, woody sort of way. The bay is a bit dry, like dry bay leaves, but adds a definite almost-sharp greenness and its own sort of spiciness. More of the rum's sweetness comes out and more of the rum in general as the butter's a little less overwhelming.

WHOA. The clove has completely amped and completely taken over. It is 99% SHARP, SPICY CLOVE and it's very dark and harsh and nauseating as a result. If I hunt, I can pick out hints of the other notes - bay and almond hold up the best, but really only if I sniff very closely and seek them out. Off to sink. Powerful throw and longevity, naturally.

:ack:

imp: spicy sweet booze.

wet: this smells like a buttery cinnamon pastry at first, though my skin is not burning so it must not be cinnamon at all. after a few minutes i start to smell more almond and clove.

dry: this dries to a relatively dusty clove and bay scent. nicely masculine.

This is a spicy, manly scent. However, I don't think most guys would try it because in the bottle it smells sickeningly sweet, like vanilla (gag) or some kind of sugary candy.

HOWEVER, once on, and after about a minute, it smells like a softer version of a very old fashioned mens cologne called Bay Rum.

A lot of people have pointed out this smells like clove, however bay oil smells very similar to clove, and I think that's what is really in this brew. As a dude, I really like this. I wish it stayed full-strength longer. It seems to last maybe 1 hour max.

Edited by Gregory

Wow talk about a scent turn around, I'm glad I actually skin tested this!

Sniffing the decant I got a icky Marzipan smell, then on my skin dry it's a really nice strong clove scent. I like this a lot, but surprisingly for such a strong feeling scent, it fades from my skin in about 2 hours. >.<

Imp: Clove. All I can smell is clove, clove, clove.

Wet: Soap? Spicy soap. I can sense the tinge of root beer lingering in the background.

Dry: All soap. A nice, Christmas-spiced soap, but soap nonetheless.

The scent of almonds and cloves packs a whallop from the vial - wow, it's so strong! On my skin the almonds fade, and I'm left with a soft and tempered clove-filled scent. After a few hours this has become a soft, rounded and slightly sweet and creamy scent with only vague memories of its clove-scented past.

The lab was nice enough to give me an extra frimp of this. Glad they did. It's going fast.

Wet: first hit by butter and sugar with a slight almond back.

Drydown: clove comes out strong with sassafras and rum. the butter and sugar has burned off leaving a deeply spicy blend that reminds me of an archipelago candle I used to own. Nice and aromatic. More atmospheric than foody to me.

I'm not a huge fan of rum smells, and the overpowering rum and almond combination just made this cloying. It's not for me.

This should have been amazing on me. In fact, in the imp, it -is- amazing. Marvelous beautiful almond rum and a whiff of spices.

Unfortunately, as soon I put it on, it's clove. Just.... clove. There's maybe a very faint hint of rum in the background, but this blend is regrettably 98% unadulterated sharp-smelling clove oil on me.

Sad. I -adore- almonds and rum and pretty much everything that's in here that isn't clove (which I tolerate) and what do I get? Yeah. Oh well, that's how it goes, I guess.

In the Bottle: Almonds!!, lots of almond oil :wub2:

Wet on skin: Cinnamon jut pure cinnamon nothing else

After a few hours: Still cinnamon and hints of clove or gingerish, definitely pure spicy scent. :cry2: I wanted to smell a little

rum and almonds on me.