Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Thorne

Two, Five & Seven

‘Would you tell me,’ said Alice, a little timidly, ‘why you are painting those roses?’

Five and Seven said nothing, but looked at Two. Two began in a low voice, ‘Why the fact is, you see, Miss, this here ought to have been a red rose-tree, and we put a white one in by mistake; and if the Queen was to find it out, we should all have our heads cut off, you know. So you see, Miss, we’re doing our best, afore she comes, to—’

A huge bouquet of squished rose petals: Bulgarian rose, Somalian rose, Turkish rose, Damascus rose, red and white rose, tea rose, wine rose, shrub roses, rose, rose, rose…
…and just an itty bitty bit of green grass.

Wow, first review? I ordered a 5 ml unsniffed, because I love me some roses, and this? This is some roses. My mother just walked by and asked me if I was what smelled so good - I was!

In the bottle, this is actually kind of subdued. Wet green roses, not quite open yet, still tight baby buds.

Wet on the wrists, 2/5/7 is sweet, damp, flushed roses. Dizzy roses. Rose petals falling in a rain all around you, drenching you in rosey rose rose. This is just the purest, sweetest rose - almost sugared rose, it's so sweet. :P

I'll let it dry some and update with any changes, but right now, this is one of my favorites.

ETA: This dries into a sweet, sugary mess of rose petals. Not deep red roses, but pink rose, white roses, yellow roses - bright, colorful roses. This isn't a womanly rose scent, but a fun, innocent, playful rose. It really does make me think of Alice in her little frock and mary janes wandering in the rose garden, all wide-eyed with wonder at what she was seeing.

The single drawback is that it faded within 4 hours on my skin, even though I slathered. But the last three new oils I've tried faded fast on me, so it might just be my chemistry, and I have a feeling this one may get stronger as it ages. Edited by Shollin

I actually ordered Two, Five, and Seven for my mother, who loves roses to the point of distraction. I've spent the last two years trying to track down more Rose Red for her, as she proclaims it the absolute best rose scent in the world - and one she can wear, no less, in spite of her horrible fragrance allergies. I was hoping Two, Five, and Seven would fill the niche and leave me more time for my own BPAL pursuits, but ...

I'm not giving it to her. I'm keeping it for myself, greedy child that I am. And I don't actually like roses. :P

I'm not entirely sure this would be rosy enough for her, either.

With seventy-four (or something like that) different kinds of roses in Two, Five, and Seven, I expected it to be ... well, overpowering. It's not, and the green grass note that comes out after about five minutes makes this divine. It has that laundry-clean note of Othello, delicate wafts of rose that are more like standing in a rose garden than sticking your nose into one of the flowers, and the fresh green of a just-mown lawn.

That wonderful, delighted feeling you get when you notice the trees turning green, blooms starting to appear on bushes and in flowerbeds, and the sun making you actually feel warm again, right when spring switches from tiptoeing in to racing across the landscape? Beth put it in a bottle and labeled it Two, Five, and Seven.

There's not much I can add to the previous reviews - so I'll keep mine rather short. :P

This is every single rose perfume I've ever loved. All at once.

But not overpowering or offputting in any way.

In the bottle, it smelled rosy, but not like much. Once it touched my skin, however, it exploded into roses everywhere.

This is, on me, the ultimate rose.

I am completely in love.

Rose Red was previously my favorite rose perfume. Not anymore!

I'm incredibly glad that I bought the 5ml of this unsniffed.

edit:

I've gotten more complements from strangers (and blown kisses from hot guys on BART!) while wearing Two, Five & Seven, than every other blend I've worn all together.

It's a hit with the men of San Francisco, at the very least.

Edited by roisnoir

Green grass and rose are two of my most favorite smells ever, so I was in love with the description of this.

On me, it's crazy multicolored rose, rose, rose...like rolling in a bed of sun-warmed fresh petals from a hundred different types of rose. 2, 5, & 7 is a bit like Rose Red, but warm, sunny and chaotic instead of pure and chilly. The grass scent stays underneath the roses but adds to the outdoorsy freshness.

In short, it's really lovely, and I want a bottle.

Two, Five, & Seven smelled so good in the imp, I thought I was going to love it. It does smell like a little girl's perfume, very rosy with a tiny bit of green. But when I put it on, it didn't smell right, I can't quite say why but my boyfriend said it smelled like soap. I could smell many different rose notes and kept an open mind, knowing how BPAL can morph into something wonderful. The longer I had it on, the worse it got. There was kind of a Jolly Rancher, fruity candy smell wafting up from my wrists. And then my boyfriend said I smelled like his grandma :P . Oh well, I won't mind swapping this one, I've had too many keepers lately anyway!

In my ongoing quest for the perfect rose, I ordered Two, Five & Seven as soon as it went live. I am a *major* rosephile (bet there's a more official name for that...), yet Rose Red went all green and astingent on me, which was bizarre. I am thrilled to say that this one has no such problems. On me, it's oddly soft; I keep slathering more on. It's a pure, clear, delicate rose--in fact, it's what I hoped Rose Red would be. And, lucky me, it's not an LE! :P This one may end up being a bottle...I hope, though, that with age it will get stronger (I checked the "aging BPAL" thread and found that rose is supposed to age well). The coolest thing about Two, Five & Seven is that it contains *different* roses--it keeps morphing gently from one rose to another, some sweet, some deep, etc.

For me, wearing this is like sitting on a sunny green (croquet?) lawn with a rose garden near by, scenting the air oh-so-softly with gentle wafts of sweetness when the breeze blows...

This is a very potent and beautiful rose blend. When I first applied it, it smelled as if I had rolled naked in several rose bushes. However, as time passed, the oil morphed into.... wine? I don't quite understand or know what to make of it. I was prepared for the soap smell that some roses turn into on me, but wine... a heady alcohol smell... I was not prepared for that one.

I will perhaps test this again before I sell / swap it. :P

257.jpg

The wackiest thing happened with 2 5 and 7. I got the bottle, boy was I thrilled. After waiting and being excited about it for over a month I wanted this rose blend a lot. I had fallen strictly in love with London, which is an exquisite scent--all roses and licorice. I thought that 2 5 and 7 would add another dimension to my rose wardrobe.

Upon opening the bottle I took a sniff as I habitually do. Oh My Word!!!!! It smelled like: feet, vinegar, and cheese. That was beyond the shadow of a doubt one of the ugliest smells I have ever smelled in a bottle. It was foul!

At first I thought this was some kind of kinky joke. Ha ha ha. However, I know that there are times when concentrated scent when it is wet and has not mixed with air, it will smell rotten. So I tried it out on the backs of my hands.

Sure enough it did go from medical waste to roses in a couple of seconds.That is one of the strangest things about scent, in a way I really think the metamorphosis is neat!

So now down to what I smelled when it was in its proper environment. They were roses, alright, and I know that the Lab used a lot of different types but though it was roses they collided and were slightly chaotic. It is pleasant, don't get me wrong. The blend is a rosy one and I am not going to throw it out the window, but it utterly lacks the finesse of London. If London was harmony, 2 5 and 7 was slight cacophony.

I also did not appreciate the whiff of lemon grass that came floating in and then left. There is a lemon component to rose smell often, it is natural. But lemon grass has a habit of smelling almost synthetic. I think it was added to amp the green part because it is a grass and that should work.

This has been a hard review to write because it is hard to admit that something I wanted so much was not excellent on me, only very good. 2 5 and 7 may be just the ticket for you. It's chemistry.

In the bottle: Sweet rose smell with a note of green in the background. Not nearly as green as Rose Red, though, and much sweeter. This is kinda what sugar coated rose petals might smell like.

Wet: Very light rose blend that does have an odd sweetness to the background of it but it's still unmistakably rose. It's almost too many roses, though, because on me rose scents are really kicked up and this is so fragrant as to almost be flooring.

Dry down: This has a very powerful rose throw, and it is all roses at once. Which makes it almost too mant roses for me. I'm not sure if this blend will work. It does not instantly capture me the way most of the rose blends I end up loving have. In fact, there's something in the background that's almost a sickly, medicinal note. It might be the grass on my skin. I don't do well with grass scents. Yeah, the grass is coming out a little too strong on this one, pushing the roses down and really bothering me. I was hoping to love this, but I do have Persephone, Rose Red and The Emrpess that work really well on me and three rose blends is probably enough for one person.

Dry: Roses. Lots of them with a little too much green grass. It's kindly sickly on me, though, which is unfortunate. As it dries, it reminds me more of Rose Red, but it still doesn't really want to work on my skin the way that I had hoped.

In the imp: This smells like that cheap rose perfume that I used to buy at the drugstore when I was a teenager.

Wet on my wrist: A sweet rose. Very sweet. I don't smell anything green at all.

Drydown: My mother thought I smelled great. She loved the rose fragrance.

After an hour or two: I'm smelling something powdery in the roses. Please, let this not be turning powdery on me.

Conclusion: I'm keeping the imp and I'll try out the scent again. It's a lovely feminine rose, and obviously appeals to other people, but I'm still not sure if it suits me.

I've always wished I could try Rose Red, but this is everything I could want in a rose scent. I was a little disappointed with my first sniff from the bottle, but as soon as I put it on, I fell in love. It IS a little sweet, but not in an offensive way. I LOVE it.

I ordered a bottle unsniffed, and I am ever so glad.

It reminds me of lying in the grass in the backyard under the ancient rose bush at my childhood home. The hot summer air made the grass smell sweet, and the giant rose bush would have fourty or five flowers all at once. I would sprawl there with my cat and a book for hours on end.

It's a profusion of glorious roses, blending and harmonizing even in their chaotic swirl. I could wear this every single day.

dare i say, i am starting to love rose scents? this has to be one of the most lovely roses i've ever smelled - i think because that little hint of green in the background keeps it grounded. for me, it's not overwhelmingly rose, which i love - it's more like, wow, this is such a beautiful smell, without actually being able to finger rose as the culprit... *swoons* i far prefer this to rose red - it smells like warm summer, green and comforting and enveloping...

I ordered this because of a review I read that said it smelled like "sugared roses". I don't know why because I don't normally like rose scents, no matter how hard I try to keep an open mind. This, however, may be an exception to my "no rose scents" rule. I tested this the other night and the top note (green grass) put me off a bit and I was thinking "this is strong and I don't think I'll like it". It resembles The Empress slightly on initial application. After the green grass note fades, this turns to rose, but not the "normal" rose I'm used to smelling....it is sweet and lovely and as it dries down longer, it does turn to a sugared rose...........mmmmmmmmmm ....heaven. This will be my only rose scent!!! I think I really like this a lot. I'm going to have to wear it for an entire day to get the entire feel, but for now mmmmmmmmmm. Sugared roses alright.

OH my god. Oh how I love this.

I love roses and roses love me. Still, Two, Five & Seven just sings on my skin even more so than any of Beth's other glorious rose blends.

It starts off as fresh roses and stems, similar to Rose Red, but not quite so chilly. Whereas Rose Red is the scent of long-stem roses in a florists' refridgerator, Two, Five and Seven is rosebushes growing out of the earth. It keeps that gorgeous freshness throughout wear . . . but somehow, mysteriously . . . it manages to get sweeter. More lush. Warmer. Oh, how good rose can be! The rose is alive and humming on my skin. It's got the same "sparkle" that Persephone has, but without the tartness of pomegranite . . . instead, this sweetness seems to be innate in the rose. Some kind of divine, rosey nectar.

I will stop now. Suffice to say that this is a fantabulous rose blend, and even though I just got a 10ml of the very rosey Tarot: The Empress, I'll be getting a bottle of Two, Five and Seven too, because it's that good.

"We're painting the roses red; we're painting the roses red!"

painting1.gif

Picture Rose Red as a bouncy, charming lil 5-year-old girl dressed in frills and pink bows.

Now imagine that same lil girl completely drunk on Bon Vivant.

That's Two, Five, and Seven :P

~Two, Five, and Seven~

In the bottle

bright, clear rose

On

It's a really pretty, pure rose scent that's not too heavy and not too light.

Not as strong as "Rose Red" or "The Empress" but not as light as "Hymn", "Alice" or "Lucy's Kiss".

Not as perfumey (though they are lightly so) as

Le Bella Donna Della Mia Mente" or "Endymion".

It's along the lines of "Kostnice" really. There's a note in here on the bottom that is just inches from being funky, I don't know what it is. It's definitely not the rose, it's Lotus maybe? I don't think Lotus is funky, I just think there's a note in this blend that is teetering on being weird with my chemistry. It smells like a beer note is underneath the rose.

30 minutes

Okay wait. This is getting really nice on the drydown.

The "Ale" smell now vascillates between smelling like something refreshing and smelling like rising dough but it's very light and in the background.

Throw:

Medium light

Scent category:

Floral

Summary

I like "The Empress" better for a Rose scent. Though it is good to have a medium pure rose blend for folks. It took alot of work, but I do like this alot. Maybe it's because I was reviewing it with "Eos" and I think Eos would leave any blend behind actually.

I think "Two, Five and Seven" will be a big hit with single note rose lovers.

Purchase again?

Yes.

1-5 rating (5 being best).

Edited by UltraViolet

Rating (on skin): 1/5

Summarised in a word or two: Roses.

In the imp/bottle: Roses! Surprising, right?

On skin, wet: This is... rose soap, with a bit of grass.

On skin, dry: Yep, soap. Like Moon Rose, it reminds me of Milk & Rose bath soap.

Conclusion: Disappointing. I love the smell of fresh roses on the bush, but never cared for rose scents. I keep searching for that perfect roses-on-the-bush scent, but this isn't it.

Edited by Aredhel

Sugared, softly powdery roses... Fades quickly and doesn't have much throw. Two, Five & Seven is pretty, but it's very innocent-smelling and thus doesn't really suit me.

Edited by tempete

Jasmine perfumes & I are old friends, rose perfumes & I are not. Don't get me wrong....I love roses, fresh, old fashioned garden roses. That's why I have 17, yep I bought another one, rose bushes in my yard.

I've tried Moon Rose, Kostnice, Persephone, Rose Red, The Lovers (my favorite of this group) and The Empress. I liked them OK but not enough to keep them in my collection.

Two, five and Seven may be the rose scent I have been searching for. Here are a few of my observations:

Wet: Crazy jumble of bazillion rose petals falling on my head. Hey, that's what it smells like to me.

In between: Fresh cut grass & roses, lots of them. This is powerful stuff!

Dry: 1 hour, great throw & I am beginning to notice the individual rose oils.

I wanted something that smelled like my garden in the spring. My roses are just now beginning to open, so I will expand my review in a few days.

i just got an imp of this in my order that arrived today,and i'm glad i've got a 5ml of it on the way : )

If you've ever tried Rose Pastilles (a candy from France),that is mainly what this smells of:super-sweet,sugar-coated roses. What icing roses on a birthday or wedding cake would smell like if they were a real,live flower. i don't smell a grass note at all;for some reason,i'm also smelling pink champagne. Candy roses and pink champagne...this is great!

If you hate roses....try this one!!

This is so juicy, innocent, playfull. I want to drink this.

Often roses tend to smell serious, adult(and some even old lady perfume like)

Athough all Beths rose blends are awesome, so far i like 2,5,7 best! Whip is going to be kicked out of my top ten and in goes 2,5,7.

The sort of scent you have to imagine is more the direction of Persephone than it is of Spellbound. This is not powdery at all. A 14 year old could wear it and get away with it. So glad I have a 5ml :P

I love roses, so I was pretty sure I was going to love this.

Boy, was I right!

Pure rose. Nothing else. It is so fabulous!

As soon as I have money again, I'm buying a big bottle of it!

Bottle: Sharp green grass with rose notes.

Wet: Roses, roses, roses, roses... GRASS! SUGAR! GRASS! This is definitely too sweet for me.

Dry: Powdery and grassy before it's rosy -- unsurprisingly, since I'm a big ol' creepy earthy Capricorn, I prefer Zombi as a rose scent. The yummy wood and earth notes are necessary for me with a floral like rose to keep it grounded and keep me from being a little nauseous.

/ili

In the bottle - ewwww! Medicine, bitter.

Initial application - OMG, gorgeous roses! I am in love!

30 minutes later - where'd the roses go? It's turned all herbal, it almost smells like Veil does on me. ???

I'm heartbroken. Come back, roses! I will try this again in a week or two.