Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Thorne

Two, Five & Seven

A huge bouquet of squished rose petals: Bulgarian rose, Somalian rose, Turkish rose, Damascus rose, red and white rose, tea rose, wine rose, shrub roses, rose, rose, rose…
…and just an itty bitty bit of green grass.

In vial: Now THAT is a rose. Unmistakeably so.
Wet: Sweet, warm, bold yet polite. Nothing demure about this one!
Dry: Rosy. From the lab's description what else would you expect? It has a tendency to shift rosiness, if that even makes sense. At times it is like a delicate green rosebud, others it is a bursting red bloom.

Verdict: More appealing than I envisioned. I will definitely keep an imp around for days I just want to glow.

Let me preface this review with a few disclaimers. I am a huge rose fan. I also prefer my scents to have a small amount of throw (I do not want my perfume to announce me, as it were ;) ) With that said, I really enjoy Two, Five, and Seven.

Wet: Very sweet rose. I was worried at this point, because I don't enjoy overly sweet smells.

Dry: The sweetness has calmed down quite a bit and the rose comes more to the forefront. I've seen mentions of Turkish Delight in previous reviews, and I concur.

Verdict: It's a lovely scent, but I'm not sure how often I'll actually reach for this one. But I will let it age before sending it off to the swaps.

In the imp: sweet rose candy

Wet: a big bunch of sweet wet roses

Dry: smells like a giant bouquet or better yet, garden full of multicolored roses. Unline many rose scents, which are one-note and heavy, this brings forward the wide variety of rose smells with a lot of depth and variance. There is a wet and grassy overlay to it all that makes it all smell very fresh. These roses smell fresh cut, or as if you're walking through a rose garden after it's been watered. This is the essence of June. Fresh and sprightly.

I reapplied after about 5 hours because it had faded a lot and I want to be surrounded in this scent. Definitely need bottles and bottles of this.

In the imp, I smell candy roses. Freshly applied, I get sweet rose. Once dry, it’s fresh, sweet rose. A possible hint of grass. But mostly wet, juicy, green, fresh, cool, living rose petal. After a bit it turns to a fruity sort of rose. This lasts a long time for such a light scent (over 5 hours) and has a generous, lively throw.

Verdict: I got this in my first BPAL order, and since then have discovered that I alas do not care for rose. At least not on me. ^_^ But this would be just right for somebody who loves rose and wants a daytime, gardeny sort of one.

Imp: That is a LOT of rose. I like rose but this may even be too much for me.

Wet: This is so strong to my nose that it's difficult to detect all the wonderful variants of rose in this blend. :(

Dry: Ah, that's much better. The roses have stopped shouting and now I can appreciate the complexity lurking underneath the OMG ROSE I was getting a few minutes ago. I even get a bit of the green grass! It's surprisingly fresh for being a rose scent.

I like this; I'll probably wear out the imp, but I don't think I'll get a bottle. As rose scents go, I prefer Whip, but Two, Five, and Seven is much better suited for spring and summer.

Received in a swap, cause I'd honestly never had had the idea to buy it myself - roses smell nice as a sort of theory, but as perfume, they always come out far too deep, powdery and old-womanly for me.

Not this.

It is sweet, pink, girly, bubbly and happy - when wet, it smells like heaven, like rolling in actual roses when you are young and happy - except witout the thorn and without anyone telling you Not to do it. It is round and the grass mentioned is there, but it must be very young, very fresh spring-grass when it first comes out after winter.

I will use up the imp and hope I get frimped more when buying bottles. Cause I do want this around, but a bottle...maybe not - we will see how I decide.

There's two things that hold me back; juust as it dries, it has a soapy phase (bleh) and I dislike soapy - and after some 8 hours, it smells like powder (bleh)

I'm not sure those two are enough to stop me from a bottle, but while I love the smell, I also ave no idea When I'd actually wear it - maybe if I had a pale yellow sun-dress and a garden - but I don't (wish I did though)

Edited, because roses do not TASTE, they smell - or, well, at least I have never eaten one and shouldn't be talking about their Taste o.O

Edited again because...you should always give things a second chance and I have today found that Alice and Two, Five and Seven (two scents I liked, but not enough for bottles ) are Fantastic when layered. I'm adding this edit to both my reviews, in case someone would like it as much as me but never actually did test :)

So now, it's going to have to be bottles of both.

Edited by Asinya

I went from refusing to try florals to liking the lab's rose scents! This is a different feel than Whip, less red rose. Lighter and sweeter, but a sense of...texture I guess, from the different kinds of rose. I like it.

In the bottle: Rose, rose, rose, rose powder, and something lush and green.

Wet: rose water. Rose bath? Rather light. The green bit seems to have run off.

Dry: How sad. I had hoped for much, much more out of this one. It promises roses galore, but as it dries, it nearly completely disappears. Just the faintest hint of rose. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a lovely rose, but it just…lost it’s head. The green grass finally comes through now that the rose has nearly faded away. It’s a lovely delicate balance. Might be lovely in a sachet in my lingerie drawer. Otherwise, into the Trade pile.

I am a big rose fan. So far I have bottles of The Rose, Hope, Peacock Queen and Rose Red and I love them all. So of course I have to try Two, Five and Seven as well. :P

In the imp: Roses indeed! I am getting the sense that there are a lot of rose notes here, just like in the description. On my skin, I am getting a hint of greenery - doesn't smell like grass exactly, not freshly mowed lawn or anything - it's similar to the green stem note in The Rose. This is actually surprisingly kind of weak on my skin...

I like it well enough but I don't think I need yet another bottle of a rose-heavy scent. I am curious about what it would be like deathmatched against The Rose, though.

I don't care one way or the other about roses, but I love green scents and the idea of roses touched with grass sounded like a winner.

I wish there were a lot more grass in Two, Five & Seven. It definitely delivers a wallop of roses but it's too sweet, too much of a good thing, I guess, for my tastes.

In the imp: Rose. Effervescent and almost fruity.

Wet: Rose, with a hint of grass coming through.

Dry: Yeah, this is like rose lemonade (which needs to be invented, if it isn't already). It's nice enough, but won't usurp London as my go-to rose scent.

Dang, this one is amazing! It starts out with bursts of different roses when wet, and for the first few hours on - I smell small roses, big roses, new roses, wilting roses - it's just incredible. I've never smelled so many varieties in a perfume before, especially not one that was free of the headachey-cologne! Once it dried on me, it smelled exactly like sweet dried roses, one of my favorite smells. Fantastic, I truly recommend it if you like roses.

Oh dear, I really don't know what happened. I love roses, but couldn't smell them at all in the bottle - just that very sharp wet green vinegary smell a few other unlucky people got. (Which didn't smell at all like grass to me - but a very strong chemical kind of scent, like fake pine.) Wet, still all I got was the sharp grass. Then that started fading out, and I got....soap. A very nice kind of fancy soap, but not really roses. Finally in drydown all I had was soap, but that disappeared very quickly! Especially considering the amount I'd put on. Really no sweetness at all, just sharp green and then sharp soap. I'm baffled. After several hours I did get a little more of a rose scent, but it was quite faint, and sort of light and astringent. It was still more like very nice soap, or very nice bath-powder, rather than flowers. I doubt I'll be buying this again, since those sort of very light sharp astringent scents tend to give me headaches.

I know I'm going to regret this given my history with roses... but I have made it a point to test all blends that come across my lap (thanks Lab, for frimping me roses XD) and others have said if you hate roses, you should try this one. Keeping an open mind. For now.

Imp: Yup, that's rose all right.

Wet: Sweet, sugar-covered roses. I must say I'm happily surprised. I doubt I'll ever love rose notes as much as they apparently love me, but dare I say... I LIKE this :eek: As it warms, I'm getting vanilla cream and roses with that greenery note others have mentioned. The mental image I get is lying in a rose bower with a cup of heavily creamed tea and a book, the sun is shining, and the breeze is pleasantly warm.

Dry: I like. Rose. At least this rose :D Pretty, sweet, not overbearing or grandmotherly. I think the world has ended!

Exactly what it says on the tin. Roses! A dimensional rose scent, underscored by the grassy smell - it's like going through a blooming close-grown rose garden while the grass was just cut in the yard next door. Only lasts a few hours on me, though. Very nice. Another rose for my collection!

Green, fresh and fruity in imp form. All sparkly rose on my arm initially. It feels very 'young'. I like BPAL's rose note and I don't dislike this, but I just don't know if it's special enough to order. For now I think I'll keep the imp and see if I go back to it.

• ITI: Tea rose is surprising clear in the bevy of other rose notes, but wine rose curls up to greet my nose slightly thereafter, like a shy but intriguing friend. In the background, there is the greenness alluded to in the shrub and green grass notes. It does smell just a touch like a covert operation involving roses.

Wet: The grass note is just a tad stronger on my skin, but the tea rose is still dominant, not followed by the Damascus rose and a slightly more candied rose note. I like that the sheer variety of notes keeps the scent as just reading "straight" rose, but instead adds a little complexity and depth to keep it interesting. That being said, it's not the best scent while having a migraine.

Dry: The scent takes on a bit of a sugared quality after it has sat for a while. Rose is certainly there, but I can no longer pick out distinct rose notes or even green notes - it's just sugar and roses.

In the imp: Sweet, candy rose. Not as 'fresh' or robust a rose scent as I was expecting!

Wet: Sharpens almost instantly and we've got a proper rose scent happening now. The sweetness goes away pretty quickly for me and I'm surrounded by roses. I couldn't pick them apart easily but I don't think being able to do that is the point of this blend - it feels like it's supposed to be a robust, well-rounded rose scent. The grass is in there, too, keeping it all from losing contact with reality or something - it makes it smell more 'real' with that in there.

Dry: Really lovely rose scent. It's not old lady rose or potpourri rose or fake rose it's fresh cut roses in a vase or your nose shoved into a rose in the garden. I get little to none of that original sugar from it (which is good for me), it's just lush roses.

I really like this blend, I like having a solid rose scent in my collection for girly spring or summer days. Right now it's roses, pearls and diamonds but I'm wondering whether this warrants a big bottle buy because it fills a different niche to roses, pearls and diamonds, and I'm a hoarder. Seriously, though, if you want a straight up rose scent with no vanilla, musk or other competing scents this is it.

In the imp: Sweet candy rose? Almost plasticky.

Wet: Roses and green.

Dry down: Beautiful greeny rosey wonderfulness.

One of the few scents I've gotten compliments on at work.

In the imp: Roses, sweetness

Wet: Rose and coconut? There's something creamy about it.

Dry: Coconutty roses. It's definitely not my favourite rose blend but it's nice enough.

BPAL rose blends are GOOD. I like this blend's sweetness, and liveliness. The grassy note must be there in the background someplace, because there's some green, but it could just as well be rose leaves (I've run over a few rose suckers with a lawnmower in my day, and I can believe this scent is related.) This isn't up in your face ROSE. It's roses, it's sweet, and the roses are real flowers, that grew on plants.

It's not very long-lasting on me, alas.

ETA I bought a bottle. Over time, I was reaching for the imp more and more.

Edited by Teamama

Wet - Sweet pink rose. Pretty.

Dry it stays true without going powdery or "soapy". Not much throw though. But I do like it.

I am a rose fiend and this sounded right up my alley so I bought a bottle sight unsniffed.

In the bottle, this was a super sweet pink rose. Like sweet enough to make me think "Oh shit what have I done?" and my name is roseus.

On wet it was still too sweet to really enjoy the rose. But I could smell the roses getting bigger and developing so I didn't panic.

Dry, chaotic multicolored roses. It is an innocent, light rose but not at all simple. There is a dash of sugar and green. Overall I love it. It is perfect for when I want busy and feminine, but not in a sexy or womanly way.

A lovely crush of roses though it tended to veer powdery on me as it dried. I do like it, but I have other rose scents I much prefer - it reminds me of Hove's Rose Celeste. However, my mom really liked this so I gave my imp to her.