Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Lustration

Mental, physical and spiritual purification.

Fresh cut, tart lemon. Nothing artificial about it :D A touch sharp and herbal, fresh. Not at all sweet, but no but no bitterness, either. A bit on the light side, hard to smell but lovely nonetheless.

As far as efficacy, so far so good :P

I got a strong lemon-menthol scent in the bottle, and it smelled like that on my skin, too.

It faded in about 20 minutes, but, it's not a perfume blend. It's an aromatherapy blend, and it's short life on me is actually a selling point in this case.

As far as the aromatherapy benefits go, it's a great pick-me-up. :P I keep my imp by the computer, and I sniff it when I want a little caffeine-free recharge. If I ever need it's benefits for longer I can always drop a little into a tealight.

This is a gorgeous citrus herbal tea on me, with a bit of honey and milk added. Very soothing and comforting - looking on my review, its notes are similar to how many people describe Dorian, but the two smell nothing alike. I really love this one (I love Dorian too, but in a different way =) ). One warning though, like many of the more citrusy oils, this one evaporates rather quickly. I got a full imp of it about four months ago, if that long, and it is about 40% gone without my having used it at all. I wonder how the evaporation might affect the scent, so perhaps my review should be taken with a grain of salt, although it doesn't seem to be too different from everyone else's thoughts.

According to Dictionary.com, lustration means "to purify by means of ceremony." This is certainly a cleansing scent--on first application, it's strong lemon and honey on me. A little like cough drops as well, but not in a bad way. It's fresh and comforting, and it reminds of days when I feel like I should be wearing a scarf.

I don't think this is something I'd wear as perfume, necessarily, but it would be perfect to wear on a chilly day, when I'm feeling a little under the weather.

In Bottle: Lemon, mint and tea

On Skin: Hello! This wakes you up! It has a commercial cleaner quality to it, not so good. I’m sure that helps in purifying though. LOL! As it develops and in the dry-down, the lemon is very bright and almost carbonated… it kind of reminds me of Sprite or 7-Up. It is very sweet and while tart like a typical lemon, it doesn’t make you wince. A very good scent to use as a energizer or wake up scent. Not really me though, I think I’d just use it as aromatherapy and not as a perfume or body scent.

This is a close-to-the-skin very strong citrus. Bright crisp lemon, but with no throw. I can only smell this when I put my nose to my wrist.

There's a bit of a herbal quality to it, keeping it from being pure lemonade, but I'm not sure what it is. Some have mentioned lemongrass, but that's not what this smells like on me.

I do feel calm and centered, but we'll see how well it continues into my busy day.

OMG ORANGE!!! Everyone else is getting lemons, but its all orange for me.

In the bottled, I didn't like it. Smelled like orange oil mixed with unclean body parts. Ewww!

But on, it smells exactly like Sunny D. As it lightens, I pick up a creaminess with the orange and it starts smelling like a dreamcicle. Wow, lots of throw!

Calmed down quickly. Within about 2 hours, I can only get the faintest sniff of watery orange.

Rating (on skin): 3/5

Summarised in a word or two: Lemony!

In the imp: ...Ew. Lemon peels and something rancid, like the smell of rotting lemon peels.

On skin, wet: First on, it's a strong, sharp industrial cleaner. Lemon-scented, of course. Not so much with the digging on it.

On skin, dry: As it dries, something tea-like appears, and the lemon/citrus softens a hair. Very much a pick-me-up scent, this one. Very bright and fresh. I will agree that there's something smooth and creamy about it as it continues to dry,. This has no staying power, but as it's precisely a perfume, it doesn't matter.

Conclusion/Notes: There's definitely something... spring-y yet calming about it. I'm not sure I could get over the smell of it in an oil burner, but I might eventually pick up a bottle to wear on my skin when the need arises.

Edited by Aredhel

This one smells the way a honey-lemon cough drop tastes - not the medicine taste, the sweet citrus blend. In the bottle, this is clearly a soothing blend with just a faint touch of medicinal to it that's so faint I don't catch it until I've put the bottle back down. And, really, that makes utter and complete sense: citrus to purify? Hell yeah. Once on, it smells like a combination of lemon zest and lemon drops; mein gott, this is strong! Oddly, as it dries, the scent fades to almost nothing... there's a very faint citrus tang on my wrists and nothing more. This is the most bizarre scent ever, instead of the citrus maintaining a nice hold on my skin, it just fades right off into nothingness... there's hardly a trace of it on my arms after less than 20 minutes. Seriously what the hell, I realize that I eat lemons like candy but when did my skin pick up the habit?!

wet:

orange!

dry:

orange cinnamon spice… this is seraglio with 1/10 of the spice factor!! Love it

overall:

really nice, very uplifting

rating: 9/10

In bottle: Lemon!

On skin, wet: Citrus, but not the citrus of Detox.

On skin, dry: Industrial lemon cleanser. I can see how this would make for purification.

Conclusion: Not my bag, but I think I'll try it as a room scent for meditation with some Detox to see how that can compensate for the cleanser smell Lustration develops.

Rating: 3/5

:P I see a lot of lemon postings for this, but I smell oranges, spicy oranges. This would make great aromatherapy, but not something I would wear.

Lustration - The first note I detect is strong lemongrass. As it begins to dry, it becomes sweeter and more artifical smelling than I originally thought, and becomes the scent of lemon cough drops with the slightest hint of lavender in the background. Almost as quickly, it morphs into the scent of Celestial Seasonings Lemon Zinger tea, and the lavender scent disappears completely. This is most definitely a pick-me-up scent, but I'd never wear it for fragrance purposes. You know what I think it's perfect for? Someday, if I ever clean my home so that it sparkles (fat chance, ha ha), I could totally see myself using this in my oil burner to give my home a fresh, clean scent that matches how clean it actually looks.

Wow! And I thought that Kunkstkammer and Moxie were orange. This is right there with them. Lustration is all strong citrus, sweet orange. This is an energizing, clarifying, wake-me-up type scent. I don’t know that it’s purifying but it’s certainly zingy. It’s mildly sweet. As with most citrus scents, this is extremely short-lived. After about 20 minutes it’s all but gone. I enjoyed it while it was here.

Gah... cleaning fluid!! It's like that new orange stuff they have everywhere now, but with a more lemon-y scent. A nice citrus note, but something else is just turning it Pledge-y on me. >_<

Well, that was unexpected!

I have had this decant for months, but the first time I opened it I was assailed by a combination of notes that made me wince, and never tried it. My bad! Since early this evening I've had to be strong and cope with some really toxic, scary relationship and family drama that left me feeling exhausted, emotionally shaken, and sore of heart. I've been going through my imp box separating the TALs and voodoo blends from the perfumes and thought it might be a good time to try Lustration - god/dess knows I needed mental, physical, and spiritual purification.

Opened up the decant and promptly burst into tears. :D

It was completely involuntary - I hadn't been anywhere NEAR tears until then! The somewhat unpleasant scent still assailed me, but since tears act as a release of emotional poison, I dabbed some on the winged heart tattoo on my inner forearm.

Oh. Lustration is so lovely on my skin! I am iffy about lemons as a perfume, but on my skin it has become the most wonderful citrus scent. All I can smell are sweet, pure, creamy, comforting orange and lemon, soft as a cloud. The tears stopped and a smile replaced them. After a few minutes I felt like declaring "This heart is clean," a la the little medium in the movie Poltergeist. lol!

I feel a LOT better now. I'm getting a big bottle and slathering it whenever I have days like this, and when I just want to feel clean again.

Thank you, Beth and Labbies. :P

Citrussy (to my nose the citrus is more orange or tangerine than lemon) with a fresh burst of eucalyptus, maybe a little pine. Very refreshing. Not longlasting, but very refreshing.

I like this scent. I refreshed a few times during the day. The lemon is lemony with just a hint of sweet, so rather like not-so-sweet lemonade.

imp: sharp citrus. this almost smelled too sharp to try but as i like to try everything at least once...

wet: yummy soft lime. this sort of reminded me of lime popsicles. not a scent i was expecting, but soooooo pleasing...

dry: this faded too quickly, i wanted to smell like limes a bit longer! this started to remind me of limeade at the very last. this is a far lovlier scent than i had first thought.

(edited for spelling)

Edited by hkhm

In the imp: Faint, sweet citrus.

Wet: Tangerine! And a tiny spritz of eucalyptus, which slightly warms the skin, then vanishes.

Calming and kind.

However, I get the idea that the entire imp will evaporate within five days.

Citrus eucalyptus blast! Mostly I'm getting a strong orange peel vibe from this, with a touch of something fresh and medicinal, like cajeput. There's definitely eucalyptus there, that's the first thing I smell. There's a mellow soothness under all this, something I'm not quite sure of. After a bit of wear, there's a lemony, sherbet like feel coming out here too. There may be some patchouli lurking down in the dry down too. As for the purification effects, I will update this post once I've had some time to use it properly.

This blend is like Ricola cough drops for my soul, man. :hippie: :lol: Okay, okay! I couldn't help myself, but when this one is wet it kind of smells like those lemon honey ricola cough drops. On my skin, though, the lemon is juicy and I DON'T get a lemon pledge vibe from it at all, but there's something mentholated in the mix that is what gives this blend it's cough drop similarity. The menthol almost entirely burns off as it dries on my skin, and I'm left with a nice invigorating and purifying lemon juice with soothing honey fragrance. I like it! I think I might need more of this...The smell does make me feel purified and replenished, and as a fragrance I could see myself wearing this one A LOT in the summertime! Likey! :wub2:

ETA: I definitely LOVE this one, and NEED more immediately! I find it really refreshing and soothing. :love!:

Edited by TheOneTheyCallLuna

In the bottle: Light lemon yellow oil. Citrus, herbs, menthol. Eucalyptus and lemon, and maybe something woody.

Wet: So lemony, in a really pleasant, juicy, lemonade-style way. The eucalyptus is much lighter on my skin, and quite nice.

Dry: I'm getting that Pez, slightly powdery-candy effect. Oh, and orange! It reminds me a fair bit of the note in Orange (Neil Gaiman).

Summary: All the greenness and lemon gone. Single note orange Pez candy, exactly! It's fun though, and bright/happy. Decent throw & lasting power.