Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Lustration

Mental, physical and spiritual purification.

i was playing with some lemongrass in the kitchen a week or so ago, and that's the first thing i smell when i open the bottle. it smells a little similiar to quietude, but where that was more lush, there's a sharpness to this that develops as it dries, as well as something that smells kind of like fresh gingerroot. it's also a very beautiful blend, though i think i prefer the quietude.

First Impression: Lemon zinger tea!

Second Impression: Oh, this is nice. It's so soothing, it reminds me of those lovely honey-lemon throat lozenges that my nana used to give us when we had colds when we were little. The drydown is slightly creamy.

Final Analysis: Soothing and delightful.

Lemony, but totally not in a lemon Pledge way... in a happy, uplifting, yet soothing like warm honey lemon tea when you are sick way.

Just sniffing this makes me feel much more mentally focused.

In the bottle: Lemons! Glorious lemons! In the bottle they are quite sharp and crisp, although not at all in a cleaning product way, as Blackrayne mentioned. They are more like fresh lemons as you cut them to make lemonade. I can certainly see how this blend is supposed to be purifying, as it immediately flies up behind my eyes and clears everything up.

On my skin+drying down: Mmm...the tea and honey references are soooo accurate. All of the sharp edges of the lemons dissipate as the calming sweetness of the other notes come to the fore and mingle. The bright light of the citrus is still there, and it maintains its refreshing presence while the sweet notes soothe any frayed nerves.

Overall: I am thoroughly impressed with the Panaceas...they are all so very well formulated towards their purposes! Lustration is no exception, as it purifies and soothes. I think I might use this blend as a linen spray as well as a room scent, and it will make a gorgeous light summer fragrance in addition to its aromatherapy function. :P

Luden's cough drops in lemon, that's what Lustration reminds me of. Tea and honey and lemon. It's the lemon note found in June Gloom, but not as sugary, so fans of June Gloom should definitely try this one out!

Lustration is the scent I would choose if I were getting over a sickness-- partially for its purifying qualities, and partially because it has those overtones of wellness for me. It's very focusing and clarifying. The lemon begins very sharp, and then quiets a bit as the honey tones take over. To me, this scent is the same golden yellow as the oil itself.

Tunes. You know, the throat sweets that you suck when you've got a cold.

This is the lemon and honey syrup centre that floods out when you get bored of sucking and crack it open with your teeth.

When I first sniff this, I get a very strong honey-lemon cut through with methol-eucalyptus...close to, but not exactly honey-lemon tea, unless it is the kind specially formulated to clear out your sinuses.

And wow, does this ever! This shoots straight up to my brain. There's no doubt that this is an aromatherapy blend. It freezes me in my tracks and I want to just sit down and breathe deeply for a little while. My mind feels as though it has been washed clean and I can suddenly think with clarity and focus.

I tested a couple of drops in an oil burner, not enough to get the full effect, but the pleasing lemon-ginger smell seemed to clear the air a little. This would be a tremendous aid to study and concentration, I think.

A drop on my skin developed slightly differently, as I inhaled it to continue to enjoy that mind-clearing effect. I felt at though I could sit down and make lists, get things done, start fresh. The clutter in my head from the day seemed to lift.

I can actually distincting taste this when I smell it. The piercing mentholated lemon-honey is simultaneously stimulating and soothing. The aromatherapy blends are incredible -- I would definitely not mistake these for perfume, they start working on you immediately and demand your full attention. A bottle of this will be essential for whenever I feel that I need to have a clear head and a fresh start, and wipe the slate clean.

Initial Sniff: Lemons! Zingy and fresh.

Wearing: This stays true to the scent in the vial on my skin. Fresh zingy lemons all the way! This disappears very quickly.

Final Impressions: A must-try for those who like lemons. Like the other Panacea blends, this is amazing!

In the imp- citrus and honey...I also get the barest hint of dried lavender/violets.

Wet- pure, sweet lemon

Dry- a pale ceylon with lemons and honey.

On the aromatherapy part, this is helping me deal with everything in my life right now. I've been stuck in a rut for days, and this helped me get off my ass, do laundry, start cleaning my room, etc etc. I feel like I'm cleaning everything so I can start with a clean slate.

Lemon cough drops.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, this rates a

2 on scent. Since it's a purifcation oil, I really didn't test this for efficacy.

Lemon and honey.. this is almost exactly the tea I used to make myself with a fresh-squeezed lemon in hot water with honey, very sharp and clearing.

The honey and lavender come out later and make it over all a very nice scent, but I adore the lab's citrus scents anyway.

I'm contemplating a bottle purchase.. need to see if I can scrounge up the cash. :P

Overall: very good if you like lemon and honey.

Of all the Panaceas, this one seemed most appealing--for its name alone! But then I began reading reviews of it's honey-lemony-cough-drop-in-a-good-way-ness, and I snagged a 10 ml from the lovely tart :D

I absolutely LOVE THIS!! :D

It starts of like those honey-lemon cough drops you buy and pop like candy--there's a menthol-like note which is relaxing and focusing and oddly not medicinal at all. After a few minutes, the menthol dissapears, and what's left is pure lemon zest and sweet clemantine and what smells like grapefruit--it really smells like someone spilled juice on my hand!!

Like the other Panaceas, Lustration isn't really something one would wear as a perfume (although I'm sure you could...), but it's perfect when you need a little extra luster! :P

Lustration

In the imp: lemons! But this is like the soft centre of lemon Lockets-a powerful medicinal punch. It's got a hint of green/pine. I think there's a mix of lemongrass and citronella as well as lemon oil, and some herbals-eucalyptus maybe?

Wet on skin: omg, this smells like lemon peel. Real lemon peel that's been squeezed and the oils come out. I think there's pine, menthol or eucalyptus there too!

Dry on skin: this dries very fast, and smells like freshly squeezed citrus peels-not just lemon, I'm sure there's orange and grapefruit and tangerine (yes, clementines, that smell that always reminds me of Christmas, is in here-but this blend smells like summer!!!) but it's mainly lemon. There's also a green note, there…it smells medicinal but also very fresh and juicy.

After a while: this gets even more juicy…I'm so amazed at how this smells like real citrus fruits, orange juice, lemon rind…this isn't lemon cleansing fluid. This is real lemon juice and rind!

Verdict: this is the most citrussy BPAL I've smelled. It smells like squashed lemons, oranges, grapefruits, satsumas, citrus peels and juices, freshly squeezed orange and lemon juice. It also has a medicinal aspect, like the soft centre of lemon Lockets, with that hint of pine and menthol. This is a very nice blend, impressive in it's realistic fruitiness…not really perfume, but impressive none the less.

In bottle: Somewhat lemony. Rather like lemon peel, to be precise. Green notes beneath the initial citrus burst. Extremely fresh - fresh and zingy!

On me: This is a medicinal lemon, rather than a dish soap lemon or a candy lemon. It may have other citrus nots in it; occassionally I get a hint of grapefruit. I like it; it's very natural and juicy. It's a cleansing aroma that clears away stress and the cobwebs of a mind. It's almost like spiritual Pledge!

Like k00kaburra, I get lemon peel when I first apply Lustration. As yeahbutnobut noted, this dries very quickly, after which the overall citrus tone becomes a little more grapefruitty. This is a very fresh, cleansing scent.

Wet this was the smell of Lockets; lemon, honey and menthol, which is really quite strange. As it dries, it goes through a lemon peel stage and a lemon juice stage, before settling as an old fashioned lemonade. It's a very soothing, clean scent and I do think it'd be very effective at purification.

First sniff: Oh, this one makes me smile. Lustration is very happily herbal, with a tinge of mint but mostly just undefinable green herbs in the sun under a lemon tree. This makes perfect sense as a purification blend… it’s wonderfully fresh, clean and refreshing.

Wearing: This is a more lemon-drop-y lemon than the fresh citrus of something like Phantasm, but I’ve yet to smell a Lab blend that did the Lysol thing, thankfully.

lustration

at first: some sort of citrus and...something darker. maybe eucalyptus, too.

on: this smells fantastically fruity. i think i may be smelling grapefruit. yum!

1 hour later: softer, and with some sort of foody spice like the one i get in moxie.

3 hours later: i think this might be lemon. the other reviewers are right about the honey-lemon cough drop comparison.

3.5 hours later: still nice. refreshing and simple.

overall: i really like this and i'll definitely enjoy using it.

In the Bottle: Lemon and menthol

On Skin: Lemon and menthol. It's very clean and refreshing. It makes me think of a lemon drop.

On Drydown: Limeish lemonade.

Verdict: I like this. I don't know if it works. But it makes me feel cheery.

Citrusy on me but I seem to be the one not getting lemons. Coming from "My secret power is I turn lemon into an overpowering monster" girl... that's impressive. Grapefruit for me, sharp and sweet and tangy citrus notes but predominiantly grapefruit and a touch of sweetness as this dries.

Amazingly clarifying and clearing and soothing. I love this one and it works wonderfully to give your brain and spirits a zap back toward positive.

Lustration is the scent of chamomile and honey with a hint of lemon. It is calming and comforting. It reminds me a lot of Celestial Seasonings Sleepytime tea.

I absolutely adore this peaceful scent and have taken to wearing it to sleep. I plan to get a bottle of this in the future.

Lemon tea out of the bottle. As the lemon wore off, I was less and less able to smell anything. Whatever the deeper notes are, they were lost on me.

I honestly cannot place what Lustration smells like to me...the chamomile tea with lemon and honey is the closest thing to it, I suppose...

When I first opened my decant, I loved this one - there was something comforting, almost creamy about it...then as time wore on, it appealed to me less and less.

I have no clue...

Wow my skin chemistry must really be different. :P

I don't get lemon at all, but ripe, zesty oranges. Freshly squeezed when you get the sweetness from the juice but also smell the bitterness from the peel. There is also a touch of pine in this, which thankfully vanishes very quickly though.

This stays very true to the oranges for me, a really uplifting scent.

Edited by Mayfair

Hm. I can't add much that hasn't already been said about this one. This reminds me of being sick as a child and my mother forcing this medicinal lemon & honey tea on me. It was supposed to be soothing and good for my sore throat. The smell and taste made me sicker than I already was.

Fans of honey or sweet/mellow lemon might really like this one. Unfortunately, I don't like warm tea or honey, and I have a hard time wearing lemon fragrances. So this obviously doesn't really work on me at all. It just reminds me of having a cold :P