Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Midway

A bombardment of edible carnival indulgences. Funnel cake, caramel apple, cotton candy, salt water taffy and sugar tart.

Salt and sugar! I have to admit, I was a little afraid of this scent. The reviews were fantastic, but really? Popcorn and taffy? I mean, wouldn't that smell...odd? No, it smells fantastic. This isn't a blend I wear often, as it's markedly different from my "usual" picks, but damn it's good. I just have to be careful not to, uh, lick my arm. Yum yum yum. :P

I swapped for this one just to see what all the fuss was about. Now I know. :P I have to restrain myself from licking my wrists in public.

Midway is very dessert-sweet with vanilla, caramel and brown sugar, but there's an undertone of salt and smoke and just a touch of butter. I normally don't go for foody scents but the way Midway is blended makes it luscious rather than cloying.

I am kicking myself for not buying a bottle and plan to go track one down ASAP!

It doesn't smell like fairy floss (cotton candy) or toffee apples to me... I've no idea what a funnel cake is, or what a midway at a carnival is, but wearing this reminds me a lot of Beaver Moon. I love them both!!! This one is a little sugary and more like caramel fudge, though it mellows a bit over time.

I want to eat my wrist! :P

Edited by kunoichi

*sniff*

*sniff*

....hmm. Caramel! Mouth-watering caramel, that makes me crave something sticky and sweet right this instant. I don't think I'd ever wear it on me, because I'm not fond of food scents.....but the smell does capture the very essence of junky carnival food. It's like being a kid again, staring at the vendor with his cotton candy, funnel cakes, caramel apples and taffy.....and begging your parents to buy you something.

Damn, my mouth is watering again.

Imp: It smells like... like... old fruit cake raped in vinyl. Seriously. I'm a little worried at this point.

On Wet: Hmmmm... now that's better. There's the sweetness I was craving. I can almost make out the cotton candy, and I can start to smell the funnel cake but it's fighting with this dusty dirty smell...

2 Minutes Later: What is that.......? What the? Sugared PlayDoh! PlayDoh!!! No, it can't be! I've heard of it's existence, and have read the countless cases of it ruining a BPALer's olfactory experience, but I never thought it could happen to me! Ack!!! :D

Yep. My boyfriend confirmed it. I now smell like candied PlayDoh. He said, "It's kinda wierd but I think I like it." (This just goes to show said boyfriend is a little strange.)

10 Minutes Later: PlayDoh in thick, old frying grease. :D

Oh the humanity! I really wanted to fall in love with this one. All the reviews were so wonderful... :P

I thought I would be stalking down 5mls of this when I read the description.

My other half and I frequently talk about things smelling like "fair food" and I thought it would really be funny to walk around smelling like a carnival.

In imp- Buttery caramel- slightly apple and soooo promising.

Wet - burnt sugar goodness.

First dry down - light, but unctiously buttery- OH says,"Movie popcorn."

1st hour - kettle corn.

30 minutes later- Sadly, gone.

It was so yummy, my skin ate it right up, evidently.

The only hope for this lasting on me is to use a really heavy body moisturizer first( which hopefully won't destroy the scent.)

The other hope is the summer when the humidity gets higher.

If I happen across a bottle at the right time, or they re-introduce it in July, I'll probably still buy it.

I should try scenting some fabric with it and seeing if that works for me, because it really is lovely. The salt keeps the sugar smell grounded and makes it a clean, but rich smell.

Ok bear with me, this is from memory as I just moved to my first house and I can't find a damn thing, including my reviews! :D

In the bottle: carmelly, funnel cakey goodness.

Wet: carmel apples, funnel cake, and some salt water taffy.

Dry down: The carmel apples are eaten, only their cores remain. The funnel cake is a memory, all that is left is the sticky resdue of powdered sugar. I still have some saltwater taffy in a plain white paper bag, and what do I see? I see the fairy floss/cotton candy stand! I know I am already full, but what the heck! I have to have some, but what color? I chose pink.

30 minutes: totally fairy floss and salt water taffy! This is amazing. I think I need to find a bigger bottle. I don't know what it is, but this is fantastic. It isn't a perfume smell I would normally want. But Beth's genius at making a perfume smell like cotton candy, and it brings up comfy childhood memories of carnivals that I went to in Europe as a child. Love this.

Conclusion: I am going to have to see if I can find a bigger bottle of this. This is that cozy, blankie, comfort kind of smell that I can use when I feel the world hates me. :D Bravo Beth and the labbies! :P

Rating 1-5 on my skin, this is a 5.

Edited by atropos

After being on a diet for 2 weeks.. I opened this bottle and about had an orgasm..

All hail Beth !! Midway is incredible! In the bottle funnel cake oozing with butter dusted with sugar .. I could kick myself for not stocking up on these babies .. but I really didnt think the sweetness would work on me! On my skin .. the first few momments were all carmel apple rolled insalted peanuts.. divine .. my B/f actually wanted to lick me he said I smelled so delicious.. but the true pleasure of this sent came into play about an hour and a half into wear .. pure cotton candy .. **swoon** I was actually surprised at the staying power of Midway it hung on for a good 6 hours .. This has been the first BPAL scent the old man has requested I wear .. and I oblige .. Midway is just yummy!

The cotton candy is bright in this, but it gets a little plasticy... it reminds me of a child hood toy I can't quite put my finger on. Like how Neo-Tokyo somewhat reminds me of the smell of Anime stores... Midway is a plasticine version of sticking your head in the cotton-candy and funnel cake machine. ^^

Midway (2005)

In the bottle: WOW!! This is so yum! A little lighter than what I was expecting, but definitely whiffing the funnel cakes and something salty lurking around the edges…

On skin: Thinking it was light as a feather, I slathered… I mean REALLY went to town, baby – and soon was swimming in a mind-altering fuzz of full-tilt SUGAR!! But it was good… sooooo gooooood. Fast forward to 2nd wearing: Applied with a lighter hand this time to avoid SUGAR CHIMP SYNDROME :P Midway develops – nay – BLOSSOMS with skin’s warmth into something so nice, cozy, comforting, sexy (the husband-man flipped his farkin’ lid over this one)… you just want to snuggle into your own skin, nuzzle your own wrists… in a word (or expression, rather), mmmmmmmmm!

On drydown: Same as 2nd wearing/on skin statement… the nuzzling pleasure lasts and lasts!

Conclusion: This little bottle is the full package for foody scent lovers, indeed! The label is a plus for spooky types (I heart it so)!

Rating (1-5, 5 being highest): 4.5

Buy again: Yup, yup, yup, yup, yup – uh huh, uh huh!

Not much of a foody scent person myself, but Midway is very happy and comforting. It smells of popcorn and sugar. Not a perfume per se, but a great pleasure to wear with pajamas during private time.

Midway smells foody in a dusty way. It's funnel cake with a bit of sugar tart and the salt water taffy makes it slightly salty (in minimal amounts; sort of like how a cake has a ton of sugar and a tiny bit of salt). It's pleasant enough, but it's not a scent that's like a perfume. Plus, it fades away really quickly.

By far my favorite food scent. Very foody but not as strong as similar scents tend to be.

Im mostly getting something that smells extremely cotton candyish. Not getting much of anything else except a faint wiff of something buttery. But thats ok because if it was any more yummy I would be licking my wrist.

I put it on hours ago after washing off Dragon Moon and its still as strong as first application.

Definetly on my top 10 list.

Edited by Jenn

Midway - I heard that Midway wears well with LUSH Snow Fairy, so after using Snow Fairy in my shower, I applied Midway for the first time. In between the bottle and my skin, I smelled the distinct scent of pink sugar cotton candy in the air, but within two seconds of applying it to my skin, it took on a horrible plastic smell. It reminded me of being a little girl, getting a new Barbie, and the smell that comes from the box as you pull Barbie out: pure plastic ickiness. As the oil dried, the plastic scent remained, and several hours later, all I smelled was a faint warm plastic scent on my wrists. Too bad this one had to turn on me, otherwise I think it could have been a really fun fragrance. I am still considering trying it in a scent locket eventually and seeing if I have better luck with it that way.

(Original '05 version) Please, oh please let this work on me. Food scents can either go very badly or very well on me. Still, I have a love affair with them, just the same.

In the vial - Sugary, buttery goodness. Just like caramel corn!

Wet - The salt has slightly more body than the sugar, but still YUM.

Drying - Ah and here's when the problems start. The sugar notes are almost carmelizing on my skin. You know that scent you get if you're making caramel the old fashioned way on the stove? That's what it smells like. Still yummy at this stage, just the same, though. I sure hope it doesn't go plastic on me...

Dry (45 minutes) - Sugary, buttery, plastic. :P

Overall - I had such high hopes for this one, but it looks like it really IS the sugar notes that go plastic on me. Sigh.

I was a bit worried about this one, as in the imp I got, I smelled little if anything. But once applied, WOW! So yummy. I smell the sweet cotton candy, fried dough and salty air. It's the perfect summer-vacation foody scent, and I will be sure to grab as many backups as I can of this. May I just say again: YUM. :P

I had such high, HIGH hopes for Midway, but alas, it was not for me....

In the bottle, it smelled quite nice, a sweet yummy scent, even though I couuldn't pick out any once scent, it smelled like being in a candy shop, where there's a bit of everything, you know?

On my wrist, it turned fake plastic sweets. It was soooo heartbreaking!!!! At the very least, I can say I tried it, and won't be forever saying 'Midway??! Why didn't I chase that one down??!'

In the vial: Sugar!

On me: Vanilla and sugar! This scent is awesome. It is extremely sugary and does remind me of carnival food. There's a bit of something crisp in this scent as well, but I can't put my finger on it.

Verdict: It reminds me a little of B&BW Warm Vanilla Sugar, but it's a brighter scent - not as warm. I really like it and wish I could find a bottle. Probably won't happen though, since it's a limited edition scent.

Rating: 5/5

in the imp (i don't know whether this is the original or the re-release) i smell an undercooked funnelcake, without the sugardusting and saltwater taffy...

as soon as it hits my skin the saltwater part of the taffy jumps up to the surface...

then just as quickly disappears... to be replaced by coconut, cheap oily vanilla lipgloss, and plastic.

whatever's in Underpants that goes all ick on me is in this, too.

hours later, the mentions of it smelling like BBW warm vanilla sugar aren't wrong, i've got that same plasticky coconut waxy smell that lotions and gup in that scent give me.

I'm wearing Midway today. I agree with the preceding reviews that say it's sweet but not overpowering. I don't get any caramel, just a really yummy cotton candy fragrance.

This doesn't last super long (although its been four hours and I can still smell it), so I brought the bottle with me!

Midway is a great summer scent, and I'll wear in the winter to remind me of the summer!

:D I am truly amazed by Midway. I don't know how Beth does it, but wow, this one is just as described. This bottle is from the Carnivale Revisted, and I'm grateful it was, since it gave me the chance to finally try this.

In the bottle it smells soft and sweet...sugar and vanilla. I love sweet, foody scents, so this is promising.

Wet on my skin, it's still vanilla and sugar. After a few minutes, a sharp scent develops, salty and tangy at first, so I guess that's the saltwater taffy showing up. And a short while later, I get a whiff of something like burnt plastic, but that only lasts for a minute or two.

But from then on, I spent all day a work getting whiffs of Cotton Candy and Funnel Cake. It's so sweet and comforting. Like cozying up to a boyfriend while stopped at the top of the Ferris Wheel, with the lights of the midway twinkling below and all the smells of the food stands wafting up to you on a cool autumn night. :P

It's just so perfect, my favorite LE so far!

"Holy vanilla ice-cream batman"!

Midway is quite amazing. I don't know what more I can add to everyone elses "its like cake" comments apart from on me, after 20 minutes of smelling teeth-achingly caramel sweet, it dries down to a true representation of a really high quality, high-fat, high-sugar, cream and eggs vanilla-pod ice cream - of the type that costs £5 for 250ml!!

DH's favourite food is vanilla ice cream and he just kept sniffing me last night and going "mmmm, ice-creeeeeam" in a Homer Simpson sort of way. I'd better not wear Midway out of the house :P

In the bottle: Sugary sweet lollies, hot melting butter & caramel apples.

Wet: Fluffy pink cotton candy, carmel apples, hot melting butter & confectioners sugar on vanilla flavored funnel cake and some salt water taffy.

Dry down: This is all cotton candy & vanilla on me. The funnel cake is a faint whisper in the background, but I can still smell the butter & sugar mixture waft to the forefront once in awhile. The saltwater taffy has disappeared and in it's place is the light smattering of salty french fries. And the caramel... yum!

30 minutes: Once this mingled with a little body heat it's all fluffy pink cotton candy, vanilla & caramel!! This is delicious! I don't consider myself a "foodie" scent sorta girl, but this is just so yummy on! My hubby says I smell like sticky sweets & good enough to eat. Mwahahaha!

Conclusion: This is a deliciously sweet scent that reminds me of all those summers spent at the carnival with my cousins in Oregon! It's awesome!

Rating 1-5 on my skin, this is a 5.

Midway is all cotton candy on me for the first ten minutes or so. then the sugary, buttery bits come out.

I have a lot of trouble with other bpal food scents like jack, hellcat and the monster baits, so I am very pleased that I LOVE this.

Edited by locuraelegantia