Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Midway

A bombardment of edible carnival indulgences. Funnel cake, caramel apple, cotton candy, salt water taffy and sugar tart.

Cotton Candy Goodness. Very overwelming. Kind of sickly sweet when dry. Not to keen for me.

caveat: i don't think i know what funnel cake smells like.

that said, Midway is wonderful, sweet, creamy, sugary bliss in a bottle. in addition to those, i get lots of vanilla. caramel is sugar cooked in slow heat in butter....so add caramel to that list.

finally, add blonde fudge. no chocolate, but fudge just the same. more butter, cream and vanilla.

and yes, every once in a while, a teeeeeeeeeny hint of something off. like dirt perhaps. born on a teasing breeze, here and then gone....leaving you do dream of sugar plums dancing in your head.

this is WONDERFUL.

and macha? i adore the ferris wheel that looks like a giant spiderweb!!! it is PERFECT. :D

eta: more comparisons....i've been reminded now of super buttery scots shortbread and high quality cake doughnuts covered in powdered sugar. both while still hot from the over/fryer. mmmmmmmmmmm. this would be great as a room scent. guaranteed to get you sex, sell your house, or throw the BEST holiday party EVER.

eta: my husband thinks that it smells like coconut. now, i get no coconut myself. but i thought that i should report that in the interests of science and gender equality. :P

Edited by tesao

Freshly made Waffle Cone.

Midway smells like freshly made waffle cones you can get for ice cream.

Fried dough that is not greasy or mushy but a bit crisp and ready to hold a flavorful scoop of something or other.

Consider layering this with gluttony or bliss for a chocolate ice cream cone. :P

Mix it with something that smells like anise or licorise and you've got pizzelles.

So this is mainly a fresh waffle cone with nondescript vanilla ice cream and coconut sprinkled on top.

Coconut (or whatever it is in Midway that reads as Coconut) amps up on my skin terribly and usually makes any perfume a single note Coconut. Snow White, for instance... on me it's nothing but Coconut.

So that Midway can smell like a waffle cone WITH coconut on my skin is kind of amazing.

This is essentially a skin scent, not too sweet and not to be pigeonholed as a gourmand.

Edited by Heavenlyrabbit

in the bottle: This is very hard to smell in the bottle, but I get a slight sweetness and salt?

wet on skin: Warming up on my skin, I can slowly start to detect different notes. There's a fried dough quality, like the pizza frites that my boyfriend taught me how to make and something vaguely like coconut. I still get the salt, but I'm still unsure what it is. It's almost like hot caramel popcorn, lightly salted.

dry: The coconut-like note seems to increase a bit, along with the sweet caramel scent. This is nice, but I'm not sure I want to smell like this all the time. I bought two bottles, just in case I fell in love with it, so I think I might sell one and keep the other.

This is amazingly delicious! On, it is cotton candy and buttery caramel. It doesn't have as much staying power as I would like, but it has great throw and made several of my friends' mouths water. It is a perfect rendition of a carnival midway.

:D I swear this bottle of oil is magical.

Each time I open it and try it it smells of something different.

Toffee apples, popcorn, all the fun of the fair.

It seems to start out buttery, then morph into a cacophony of goodness.

This is definitely a keeper :P

Edited by Glitzie

This is so, so lovely. In the bottle it smells sweet and delicious.

On me, this is the perfect vanilla scent. It smells reminiscent of real whipped cream made with real vanilla and sugar. Not overpowering at all (in fact, it seems to fade away more quickly than I'd like), just warm and gorgeous. I'm going to have to get an extra bottle (or two).

Mmmm.

There really isn't much I can add to all the reivews, except that this is really gentle on me! I'm going to have to slather it on, so it's good I've got a 2nd bottle on the way. I also had to wait to really get all the goodness to come out. Initially on me, it's like any BPAL that has coconut or vanilla in it and it's all sort of "fuddled." Once I give it some time, it truly becomes Midway. What a fun scent this is!! :P

Another vote for yummy edible goodness. Spun sugar, caramel and elephant's ears - with butter. Nuzzle nuzzle. Very good staying power on me - thank the goddess, it means this bottle will last a while! This is by far the best sweet foody scent yet. I can't get enough of it. Hmm, only a few more hours to order another bottle...

So VERY glad I bought two bottles of this. I was hesitant to buy it but figured I could swap it if I hated it. What I like best is that the scent really doesn't change on me once it's on. It's sweet yet not overpowering, even on me who tends to go heavy on her perfume. I can smell the funnel cake most distinctly, followed by the caramel apple. The salt note is very faint, but I really like it. I think it keeps the sweetness from becoming too cloying. Absolutely fantastic.

In the bottle smells almost like nothing, a little whiff of sweetness, a suggestion of cotton candy and dough, but not much else. Reminds me of a french cruller, an eggy, slightly floury aroma brushed with sugar glaze.

On skin, it's definitely funnel cake! It gets butterier (word?) and butterier over time, and then all of a sudden turns a touch salty and sugar sweet at once, much like a blend of cotton candy and popcorn salt. Speaking of popcorn, the blend has gone butter-kernal on me, which freaks me out in a good way. In the end, it becomes a non-gauzy vanilla on me (hoo-hah!) with a delectable butter base. Sweet and salty! Mmm.

This is the fair in a vial, it just takes some time to develop.

I love Midway!

A Butter-base perfume scent was not something on my radar screen - I ordered Midway based on other reviewers and I am so glad I did. This changes and softens overtime, almost ambery at one point. The salty-sweetness emerges on my skin but the odd comfort this butter scent bestows never wanders far.

It is evocative of all my childhood midway expereinces, and being that I always lived either on one coast or the other, that salty, sweet note makes it even more memorable.

What fun this fragrance is!

Midway is very sweet, with a pinch of salt to really mellow out the sweetness. It's funnel cakes, candy corn, cotton candy, and warm sunshine all rolled into one.

It does have a lot of throw to it, and everyone in the office is blaming me for the fact that we're all hungry now :P

I was afraid with all the reviews that it's foody that it would suck on me, which overly foody things tend to (OY gluttony - had to scrub my wrists), but this is really really nice.

I'm really glad I got two bottles. And I've been hiding it from the man, who's got a major sweet tooth (he stole my Pink Sugar!).

Midway is lovely but not quite as fabulous as I had imagined. I primarily get the scent of cotton candy in the bottle and on my skin along with a hint of caramel, salt, and sugar. Once in a while, I detect the delectable sweet bread smell of funnel cake.

What detracts from these sweets is the periodic whiff of butter. While I love the smell of butter on my popcorn, I just don't enjoy it on my skin.

I will definitely hang onto at least an imp of Midway but I am not sure if I will use up my bottle.

First off, I love the label with the skull-adorned, spiderweb-like ferris wheel. :P

Midway smells like caramel, stale popcorn, butter, vanilla, and sugar. It's absolutely amazing! My stomach growled all morning from the delicious smells and I kept getting sniffed by my co-workers. By mid-afternoon I would have killed for a caramel apple. :D

This would make a fabulous room scent, but I'm not sure if I'll wear it to work anymore--it makes me eat too much.

Initial Sniff: I'm so hungry now.

Wearing: Puffy cotton candy, sticky candy apples, greasy funnel cakes, buttery caramel popcorn, big soft pretzels with salt... it is all good things. This is so delicious. It stays true to the bottle scent all day.

Final Impressions: :P

First sniff from the bottle- OMG...Holy sweet vanilla, Batman!! This smells just like Cotton Candy! :P

After 20 minutes- At first sniff this is pure cotton candy. Then it settles into a soft sweet sugar. It's not at all buttery, it's more like the smell of a candy shop....and vanilla cake...and a big pink fluffy cotton candy! I keep thinking that Willie Wonka's candy factory would smell just like this!

Summery- :D

Midway seriously makes me want to sing and dance. Like little kids do in the grocery store when they know they are getting their favorite cereal, cake or cookies. I want to dump it on my head and roll around in it. It's that good. Being a vanilla/spicy foody scent lover, I'd say this and Gingerbread Poppet are the holy grail of foody scents. Midway = vanilla cake and cotton candy, Gingerbread Poppet = hot gingerbread and cinnamon buns fresh out of the over.

I am soooooo glad I got two bottles of this. They will be horded like mad! :D

Very foody. Salty sweet crunchy chewy sugary sticky gooey food goodness. I'd say I'm getting mostly "funnel cake" from the blend, and the underlying sweet is either caramel apple or cotton candy. There's also a dusty or mustiness to it, which must be the actual midway complete with earth floor. Fascinating and incredible. I don't know how Beth does it, but this is amazing.

First of all, let it be stated that I love foody scents, and especially vanilla-based scents.

In the bottle, it's all butter. Melted butter. Slightly salty, and greasy too. Like savory batter.

On my skin: Stays very rich, buttery, and salty. Bit of a popcorn scent now. Also...something musty. Wafting around me, though, I catch the scent of sweeter things. Cotton candy -- maybe?

I also get an occasional whiff of dough. It's a palpable scent; I can almost taste it. Gets more sugary as it fades -- a powdered-sugar smell. Really, very much like funnel cake!

Lasts a couple of hours, before I can't smell it without jamming my wrists up my nose.

Mmmm... I smell a lot of sweeties: toffy, cotton candy, sugar...

And I get a bottom line like the one I smell in Pink, Chaste and Milk Moon.

Lovely.

such a fantastically fun scent :D

you can smell sweet cotton candy and ice cream cones along with other

wonderful concoctions you would savor at a carnival...my one and

only dilemma with Midway is that the lasting power is nil with my chemistry....

boo hoo :P

In the bottle: Just like what you'd expect, Midway is a glorious bit of bottled goodness that smells like funnel cakes, cotton candy, and other treats. I figured it would be perfect.

On me: Imagine if you took a scratch n sniff sugar cookie sticker and placed it on top of a random piece of Barbie dream house furniture. That's how Midway smells on me. Like cookie scented plastic. It didn't change a bit after it dried down either.

Dang.

Midway smells like a mixture of cake, cotton candy, & caramel. The buttery caramel is the only scent hanging around once it dries. Buttery caramel sweet, similar to the buttery cream in Milk Moon, but it lacks that weird edge of mint. It's sweet & foody, doesn't change that much at all.

I purchased a bottle of this for my sister, but was able to obtain an imp for myself.Midway is my cotton candy Holy Grail.

I used to wear a cotton candy body spray that i loved; it smelled just like pink burnt sugar. But after awhile it took on a plasticy type smell and I haven't worn it since then.

Midway smells like the real deal, plus the funnel cakes and caramel. It smells just like Bruster's Cotton Candy Explosion Ice Cream. And it doesn't turn into plastic on me. Yah!

I'm really wishing I could have gotten a bottle of this for myself before it was over.

Let me add my Midway impressions, though they are not so different from others.

I love gourmand scents, and this is a good one. The vanilla of the funnel cake is what I smell at first, and that has a lovely cookie/cake sort of scent. I worried at first it would go a bit plasticy like Snow White did on me, and for the first few minutes, it did have that slightly plastic scent. But then on me the salt water taffy comes out and that slight salt edge takes away the plastic note. What I'm left with is lovely, heavy on sugar tart and funnel cake, but quite tasty...er...tasty smelling!

The problem is, it fades exceptionally fast--one the quickest fades of any BPAL on me. But I do have two bottles, so if I decided to keep both, I can slather away as necessary.

I've only worn it today, so I'll have to see what my opinion is over the long run, but so far I'm enjoying this the most of all the CN's I've tried yet.