Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Midway

A bombardment of edible carnival indulgences. Funnel cake, caramel apple, cotton candy, salt water taffy and sugar tart.

This is pretty plasticky on me, but I can sniff a little bit of something sweet (it smells like sugary coconuts) in the background. While I'm sad this didn't work, it's making me even more excited about Tilt-A-Whirl in the next Carnaval Diabolique act, which might turn out better.

2/5

ETA: This was the resurrected version. Edited by Shollin

Well, whaddya know.

I had two different bottles of the original Midway at different times, but I didn't wear it because it had a plastic-y scent on me that was very disappointing because I like foody scents so much. So when the Resurrected version came through I didn't buy a bottle because I didn't think it would work on me.

Now I'm trying some of the Resurrected version now, and it seems to be working on me okay. A little bit of that plastic scent, but it doesn't seem as prominent. I can't pick out anything that smells particularly like funnel cake or apples or taffy, just a soft sugary foody scent. Hmm. Maybe I should see if I can find a bottle of the Resurrected version...

Midway Resurrected. I really like the smell of foody scents, but I don't particularly like wearing them. This definitely smells like a fair, so it does provoke fond memories and imagery. I get the sweet caramel and candy floss, fair donuts, all the stuff that's not good for you. I'm trying to drop 10 pounds right now, and it is actually helping with sugar cravings. So I normally wouldn't wear this, but it seems very comforting tonight, and if it replaces eating junk, it is definitely a winner!!

i'm with all of you in i can't pick out any notes either which is really disappointing. if this perfume actually smelled like it's notes i think it would be amazing but i don't like it at all.

Edited by maromi

*sniffles* I finally got to try this, as I thought it'd be perfect, but it doesn't work at all on me. When I would read the reviews and people mentioned plastic, I wasn't quite sure what they meant. Unfortunately, I do now. For me, I get mostly plastic and cotton candy, not the funnel cakes I had high hopes for. It's a very light, airy sweetness... it smells like what powdered sugar tastes like. I think I'mma go sulk, now.

EDIT: This was for the Resurrected version.

EDIT2: I was able to try the original Midway, and thankfully, it doesn't go plastic on me like the Res did. I still don't get the notes I had expected as it still dries down to powdered sugar and not much else.

Edited by beturtlement

Buttery vanilla cakes and fried things (funnel cake?). It starts out plastic-y, but that goes away once it dries. This is the only BPAL scent I own multiple bottles of.

Hands down my favorite BPAL blend ever. When it was resurrected, I bought enough to last me a lifetime. Truly a foodie lover's paradise. Super sweet, buttery (like a funnel cake), makes you want to go to a state fair and eat to your heart's content. It eventually becomes a soft vanilla mixed with icing sugar but that's hours after it being on. I love this. It most definitely does not go remotely plastic on me. It is absolutely divine, both the original and the Resurrected. I find the original slightly more buttery but not sure if that's because it's aged. I also find the original to be stronger but the stuff is like liquid gold to me so I reach for the Resurrected more often in order to conserve it. The perfect interpretation of carnival food indulgence fest.

This is for the ressurected version. In the bottle it simply smells like a carnival food area. On me first there is a buttery scent with some sugar (funnel cake I assume). Then as it dries the cotton candy becomes easily findable, and so does the caramel from the caramel apples. I am a foody so this is made of win for me.

Resurrected.

I got this as frimp from a forumite and I could never thank her enough :wub2:

Midway opened my eyes to a whole new family of scents.

I've never been into foody/fruity/sugary scents, mostly because to my nose they always smelled "fake": chemical-like and cloyingly sweet.

At first sniff Midway screamed coconut(!) to me, but the second time I tried it my nose somehow resetted and wafting from my wrist there was pure cotton candy. Real cotton candy: warm sugar with a slight burnt edge.

When the funnel cakes and caramel appeared I suddently knew how Proust must have felt with his madelaine - I was in Carnac again, walking under the rain and surrounded by the smell of gauffres, spun sugar and still warm doughnuts (well, not really doughnuts, but I don't know the right name ^^).

The resulting smell should have been sickening, but under the heavy rain it was comforting and inviting. Just like Midway.

It's still not a very me blend but it's lovely for when I want to relax and take a trip down memory lane *cuddles her few drops*

(Testing both original and resurrected versions.)

Wet: Original and resurrected versions both smell like sugary flowers in the bottle.

First on: Again, they smell almost identical - sweet flowers, caramel apple. The more aged original smells richer somehow, though.

Dry: They start fading pretty quickly. Resurrected starts to smell like plasticky sugar flowers. Original lacks the plastic smell and fades down into indistinct sweet flowers.

Midway Original-

In the imp: Super duper sugary sweetness. I'm not really getting any particular notes here, which is a shame since I adore caramel apples and was looking forward to seeing what the lab would do.

Wet: Ugh, this is... maybe not so great on me. Very sweet, which was expected, but it's the sort of sweetness that goes straight to the back of your throat. I was really hoping to like this, since I usually love the lab's sweeter scents, and I'm a big foody :(

After a few minutes, I'm getting the faintest tinge of lemon and a sort of plasticky undertone happening here. Still no cotton candy or caramel apples.

Dry: Ahh, I don't think this is for me. I can hardly smell it- the only thing telling me I'm wearing it is the faint queasy feeling I get every time I inhale. I may keep my imp to see if maybe we can work things out, but as it stands, I don't think I'm a Midway sorta girl.

In bottle: Cotton candy, funnel cake, and smokey caramel are strongrest. Apple, taffy and sugar are softer, but pleasant. Wet: The bakery smell and the taffy strengthen. I really like the way the cotton candy smells on my skin. It’s weirdly comforting, yet there is a real hint of excitement underneath. Dry: Mostly cotton candy.

For the 2007 Resurrection:

COTTON CANDY. Sugar, sugar, sugar, though not granulated. Hints of coconut lurking somewhere underneath.

The second course is boatload of extremely foody vanilla--at this point it smells similar to one of those dessert-scented candles or vanilla lotion, rather plasticine on my skin. :( Woe! I am in love with the bottle label, though.

Was given a sample of Midway (the label said Midway LE), and it was LOVE. It layered VERY well with my Burt's Bees Milk and Honey lotion, and I was very in love with it...it was sweet, and I couldn't place the notes (it was before I joined the board), but I liked it a lot...until, when one day I was trying to be SUPER-careful with it...and of course, dumped it. I was so sad, but I smelled awesome.

I was given a second chance when a bottle of Fifth Anniversay Ressurrected was brought to my (thankful) attention.

In the bottle...it's very sweet, and almost syrupy.

On me...it's light, still slightly syrupy, and has a hint of something vanilla-y hiding in there. I can make out caramel, and hey, I think that's funnel cake! :D

Cotton candy and taffy are also apparent to me...

Sadly though, this scent is rather light on me, and doesn't like to stay around for very long. I still really like it, though. Mmmm.

What the...Even through the tape of this decant I could tell this was true love. I was a little apprehensive, though, when I first put it on and it smelled Gnarles in Charge. Like, some seriously scorched car tires slathered in sugary butter. Once that burned off it's all buttery funnel cake with powdered sugar. My only complaint is that it's so hard to smell. I love it anyway, though. So yeah, basically if anybody has any of this and needs, I dunno, a kidney, then hit me up because I have gotta get more! Viva la Carnaval!!!

:yum:

Edited by OneTheyCallLuna

In the bottle I get a hint of something plasticky..

On my skin, it's a horrible plastic with a hint of vanilla. I had really high hopes for this, but my skin hates it (and to be honest, something about it just makes me stomach turn even when it is not on my skin). This scent broke my heart. :(

I just got Midway: Ressurected in a swap, and I was really interested in seeing how I'd like it. I'm not usually a foodie person but I absolutely love carnival goodies and thought I'd give it a go.

I don't smell any of the foods at all, but I get a light sugary sweet scent that's really very pretty and not foody at all. I quite like it and I'm curious to get it home and see how it adds to my CD Midway scents...

I wish I smelled some cotton candy or candy apple or funnel cake, but I do like what I've got. :)

I have little new to add, but as this is one of my all-time favorites, I feel the need to review Midway. Its my ultimate comfort scent- warm soft clouds of spun sugar and the faintest breezes of funnel cake in a humid summer night. Its not too sweet though, and not very candy-ish. Just warm, vanilla and coconut infused cotton candy with powdered sugar and a little drop of real butter.

The only downside is that this one has low throw and a fast fade on me. I literally have to apply an imps worth at a time or else layer it with something else to sugar it up. (this is a great scent for layering with a lot of other BPALs, I find).

I wanted this to work so bad. I bet you can guess how this story turns out.. It's indistinctly sweet in the bottle, but on my skin it smells like burning plastic. :cry2:

This is delicious. I'm so depressed that it's pretty much impossible to find in imp form..

In the Imp: I'm not sure how to describe it, but it's very acrid, not sugary sweet like it is on my skin.

Wet: Cotton candy and fried dough. YUM.

Dry: My arm smells like funnel cakes and powdered sugar. I love carnivals, and this is literally a mixture of the best smells from them. I will be treasuring my imp for as long as I can.

Out of 10: 9!

The resurrected version. Wet it smells like cotton candy. Dry it smells like sweet buttery caramel corn.

Edited by BuxomM

I've never had the pleasure of tasting a funnel cake unfortunately. And the carnivals & fun fairs in London smell to me like generator fuel, Burgers, hotdogs & sometimes sweets & candy floss.

This does not!! This smells like a hint of chocolate and some apple but very lightly. It smells of a pale flavoure cake and a very delicate vanilla. It's delicious!! It doesn't smell very strong on me though, my chemistry is kind of eating the notes. I think I'm going to have to slather.

I really really like it because it's not overpowering as a foody smells. LOVE IT!! There is another blend that has this sort of light vanilla in it but I'm not sure. I'll have to come back once I've found it to mention it!

Ah hah!! It smells similar to Egg Nog on me once it's dry. That's the one!

Midway = :heart:

Edited by ouch!

Sniffed: Pale yellow oil. Sweet, sugary, foody. I get lots of sugar, caramel, cotton candy, and something that really does smell like salt water taffy, salt water and all. Maybe a little bit of a cakey note.

Wet: It's already a little plasticky/playdoh/powdery in that weird way some foody scents go on me; this is definitely turning on my skin. It reminds me of the P013/CD023 prototypes in that way. I also swear I get a bit of coconut. Definitely loads and loads of candy and sugar. Still no apple.

Dry: More salty - it's really amazing how distinct the taffy note is! Still a bit play-doh-y and coconutty, but less sweet, and much less caramely and strong overall.

Summary: Very faint playdoh and coconut. It fades to almost nothing within a couple hours despite slathering.