Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Midway

A bombardment of edible carnival indulgences. Funnel cake, caramel apple, cotton candy, salt water taffy and sugar tart.

Source: Bottle of Midway (Resurrected) from the Lab

Midway does all kind of wonderful things for me! It starts off like freshly spun cotton candy and sugary delights. The buttery scent of carnival treats also makes an appearance, before drying down to a more funnel-cake-like smell.

The throw on this is strong, but it doesn't last for longer than a few hours unless I keep re-applying. The hubby can't stop sniffing me when I wear this! :P

It's a must-have for foodies!

Reading all these reviews i had great GREAT hopes for midway. I love foody smells, food sweet smells are my thing i thought that this would be a winner no matter what.

Open the bottle: Coconut? I was so shocked i actually said to my cat "Coconut?" and then screwed up my face.

Dabbing a little on: Coconut and some salt. Uh, this is not looking good.

10mins later: Nothing... there is so little scent left that when i huff REALLY deeply all i get is the tiniest murmur of salt with dirty dusty edge coconut can sometimes have.

I didn't even get suntan oil coconut either. :D :P

I think this sucker will be gotten rid of. SO glad i did not buy two bottles like i had originally planned.

Midway Resurrected

In the imp: mmmm, like the original, but sweeter, more cotton-candied!

Wet on skin: candy floss, fried doughnuts, marshmallows…all the sweets of the fair.

Dry on skin: oh yes. This is just like original Midway…but stronger. And I love that. I loved the first Midway, but I found it much too faint. This one has a lot more presence, a lot more waft, and doesn’t vapourise when it hits the skin. I smell all the gorgeous sweet goodness of fried doughnuts and candy floss here, maybe a hint of toffee apple and coconut ice too? I think this one is heavier on the spun sugar. But it’s a very gentle, non-cloying sweetness.

After a while: still going strong, usually by now the original scent would have been eaten by my skin. But this one gives off an aura of delicious soft sugar. Almost like a glow of sweetness radiating off my skin, this one seems to have a lot more vanilla to it as well. I also smell a hint of funnel cake but thankfully this doesn’t smell greasy, just sweet and yummy. I want to gnaw on my wrist. I’m also amazed at how long lasting this is-I still get a sweet waft of vanilla doughnuts covered in sugar after a few hours. At times, the vanilla in here smells like birthday cake! And I love the smell of birthday cake! No buttercream but definitely with icing on it.

Verdict: this is like Midway, but better! It’s everything I loved about the original (the sweetness, the candy floss, the fried doughnuts and other fair treats) minus what I didn’t like about the original (the faint plastic/cardboard undertone), with a bit more vanilla. And the best thing is that it is a lot stronger and has much more throw. Now that’s the fairground scent of my dreams! It brings back all kinds of happy memories, takes me to a happy place when I smell it. There’s a truly divine vanilla to this which I’m sure was in the original, but it’s much stronger in here, and smells like cake. Mmm, this is delicious. I’m so glad I’ve got a backup of this scent, an improvement on something I loved and didn’t think could be bettered.

Emoticon rating: :D :P

Is it a keeper? Yes and I need at least one bottle!

If you like this, try: Midnight on the Midway, Xanthe, Egg Nog, Snow White, Beaver Moon 07

Wowwwwwww.

It's the warm smell that creeps through the air on a hot summer night at the carnival. You can smell it all here. Just amazing. I dont know how Beth does it. I am so glad I snagged this bottle on Ebay! Warm, sweet, amazing. Love this.

I was just getting into BPAL when the Resurrected version was available and back then I thought I didn't like foody scents... little did I know then!

This is yummy! It really smells like doughnuts and candyfloss with a bit of creamy vanilla in the background with more toffee emerging as it dries. I want to eat it instead of wear it. :D

I don't get very much throw but I haven't applied much because I only have one decant and have to use it sparingly and is it any wonder if my skin eats this anyway, since it's so delicious! :P

Resurrected

Sweet sweet Midway. How I shouldn't wear you when I'm hungry.

Sniffing my wrist I'm getting sweet sweet dark candy. No particular candy or treat is leaping out at me, it's more a mishmash of their fragrances lingering on my fingers after indulging in a few. Sticky sweet and scrumptious.

Midway Resurrected

In the imp, the caramel of the caramel apple and the airy sugarness of cotton candy.

It's very hard to smell on my skin - when I sniff really hard, I do get some of the waxy sweetness of the taffy.

When it dries, it's back to caramel apple - it's amazing! Definitely bottle-worthy.

Midway Original

Boy, this is ever so light. I mostly get powdered sugar with doughnuts underneath. A bit of cotton candy, but that's it for me. It's not bad at all and it's foody without being sickening, but it just doesn't do much for me I'm afraid!

[Review for the resurrected version]

Expectations: Overwhelming sweetness, in a rich & heavy way. I have a feeling I'll be thankful my nose doesn't lead straight to my pancreas.

In vial: Marshmallows. Where is that coming from?

On skin, wet: The marshmallows are toasted now.

On skin, dry: The scent is incredibly faint, but I'm starting to detect a bit of cake and some nondescript fruit. It's not as sweet as I expected.

After time: 30 minutes later and I still have to press my nose against my wrist to smell anything. The dominant scent now is the salty sweetness of the salt water taffy. I'm not reminded of a carnival at all, probably because I'm not getting a bunch of tasty treat scents wafting around me.

Conclusion: There's nothing inherently bad about this scent, it's just not impressing me as much as the hype would lead me to believe.

I got a decant of this and wasn't that impressed...it smelled nice, but like something I would have worn when i was younger--a Demeter dessert perfume or something.

However, a month or so after I got the decant, I smelled it again and decided that it was to die for---it is not complex on me--it's pretty much straight up cotton candy, but I love it. maybe because my natural smell is a little musky. At any rate, I managed to swap for a bottle, and I am quite pleased. Its definitely what I wear when I want to feel girlish and simple...Midway makes me feel like I should be at a county fair, wearing pink and white checked gingham and have my hair in pigtails, eating an icecream cone in the hot sunshine.

Midway is lovely. I'm not a foodie scent lover, but I fell for this one! Midway gives me a complete sensory response: colors, sounds, sights, tastes. It is a medley of flashing lights and carnival music. It is also a smorgasboard of the best of carnival food.

When wet, I smell the funnel cakes but as it dries it becomes more and more cotton candy. Pink, fluffy, sugar-spun goodness! In fact, I once spilled about 1/3 of an entire bottle of Midway down my shirt (long story) while on my way to a... carnival. The entire night, groups of people would walk past us and someone from the group would inevitably say, "Mmm, I want cotton candy."

I felt like I've been neglecting my bottles, poor things, and so I decided to go through and try a few of them again. Which means I wore Midway yesterday, and it was delicious, and then I couldn't resist putting it back on today.

I'm not really sure what it smells most like, but it's sweet but not sticky- fresh and clean, instead. Not in a soapy way, but in a way that gives it a bit of an edge up on most just candy scents. I love this to tiny bits, I can't believe I was considering swapping it before.

Over the summer I dated a friend- it had its ups and downs, but I'd still consider it the most successful relationship in some ways (I'm young, I've got time to fuck up and start again :P). Our last date, we went to the carnival at a town on the water nearby- full of creepy carnies, bright lights, laughter, and sweet foods. Then we sat on the rocks and watched the lights. It was awesome.

This reminds me of that, but without the creepy carnies :D

Edit: Okay, this morphs funny. In the bottle, its beautiful. Then as soon as it hits skin theres sweetness with a bit of plastic- but only if I sniff really close. From a distance (ie. average distance between my nose and wrists as I'm typing this) it's a nice sugary carnival smell. Whaaaat.

Edited by whisperingmachines

This is nothing like what I expected, but honestly, if I HAD gotten what I expected (a heavy foody blend) I think I would have gotten tired of it quickly.

Midway is definitely the foody essence of a carnival. I can pick out the cotton candy and funnel cake individually, but its not greasy and cloying like real carnival food. However, its every bit as delicious. I'm so so glad I procured two bottles of this one... I'll be wearing it a lot.

:P

in the bottle, light candy smell.

wet on skin: even LIGHTER candy smell.

drydown: what drydown? Midway has left the building. *head scratchy*

I've tried this now three times, and i have SLATHERED it. i'm almost wondering if there's something wrong with my bottle because it's so incredibly light. and it just disappears on my skin.

:D

this is so sad. I really thought I would love this one. and I think i WOULD love it...if it didn't just go POOF into the ether.

in a nutshell: very light, very faint candyish smell. almost no throw, almost no wearlength (on me)

:D

Midway (Resurrected)

In the bottle: Candy floss, caramel, & funnel cake!!!

Wet: See above, with funnel cake being the strongest note

Dry down: less candy floss, even more funnel cake- with the powdered vanilla sugar becoming present, the caramel has faded to a light background note

After a few hours: faint funnel cake & sugar.. and this is going to get me the crazy look, but a bit of something that tickles my nose. Resin? Sage? Seeing as how this is a very sweet scent... maybe there's dragon's blood in it that's causing the tickle. I really enjoy this fragrance. But, that note that comes out in the end on me is going to have me wondering until I figure it out.

I haven't tried the resurrected sort, only the original. And the original smells exactly like funnel cakes and sugar and that first-steps-off-the-tilt-a-whirl feeling of being just a bit off balance, the cacophony of the carnival whirling in the background, clouding your senses and drawing you back into the darkness and chaos of lights, noise and too much sugar.

... unfortunately, I don't wish to smell like funnel cakes, et al.

Sweet goodness; take me to the Midway! The funnel cake and taffy is divine...

ADDED April 17:

Well, I'm confused bc I have two decants from swaps: Midway 07 and Midway 08...?

Ah well, here it goes...

Miday 07: sweet sugar and plastic; no discernable notes

Midway 08: sweet and creamy; kind of like buttercake; but I detect plastic

ADDED 4/14/10:

I am sad to discover that this goes plastic after five years of aging... :P

Oh boy. I am not a foodie lover either, but this one is pretty darn amazing. It starts out as sugary goodness (makes me think of a sweeter salt water taffy), but on wet, the vanilla had a weird plastic tinge (which I get from certain vanillas).

After an hour however, it's delicate cotton candy and funnel cake.

It actually makes me hungry. This is a very dangerous scent for me.

*Off in search of baked goods*

why is it that I never get the notes on my skin that are posted in the oil???? :P I smell slight funnel cake :D I get no sugar tart apples, nor any of the other notes listed. Oops! My mistake, there is the sugar. Just sugared funnel cake :D I love it and I am glad I only have an imp of this cuz if didn't I would eat my arm.

Midway smells exactly like walking through a carnival. This is definitely one of my favorite scents and I'm glad that I have an extra bottle of it! It's cotton candy, funnel cake love.

Midway Resurrected

Wet: Aaargh! Too sweet! Too sweet! *feels teeth rot and fall out of head*

Drying: Cotton Candy!

Dry: Very faint cotton candy.

Not a winner for me as far as perfume goes, but it is very evocative of going to a summer carnival.

It took me a while (2 hours :D ) to fall in love with Midway cause the funnel cake greasy note was too real to my nose to be good, but the cotton candy note that follow is pure heaven :P And now I am able to enjoy the oily wet stage, the sugar tart drydown and the sweet sentor that cling to my skin at last. Useless to say I`m addicted and a big bottle is on my way, and I`ll use it sparingly or at least try. Sadly, the staying power on me is low, 30 minutes.

Midway is one of my absolute favorite scents. It completely disappears from my skin, so I wear it in my hair and get whiffs of it all day. On me, I get pretty much all funnel cake, with a slight (but delicious) burnt sugar smell. I don't get any apple at all. I'm also happy with the level of sweetness - it's sweet, but not so sweet that my teeth hurt (I'm looking at you, Faith!). Overall it's a tasty scent that I feel comfortable wearing pretty much anytime.

I was gifted with a decant of Resurrected and it is to die for! Definitely my favorite of the foody scents. Very similar to Drink Me on me, which is great because that means there's a GC sub for when my decant runs out.