Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Midway

A bombardment of edible carnival indulgences. Funnel cake, caramel apple, cotton candy, salt water taffy and sugar tart.

This is the Resurrected version.

I may come back and edit this, as I've had it on for a couple of hours and it's morphing a bit, but suffice it to say that I love this so far. I never got to try the original, but now I have to say it's no wonder it has so many fans. Right now it mostly smells of funnel cake on me, which is most of what I smelled in the bottle as well, but now I think I may be staring to smell some saltwater taffy and cotton candy coming out. Hard to say! Whatever it is, it's lovely and I keep inhaling deeply at the crook of my elbow.

Mmmmm! I think I need a backup bottle, oh yes. And I'm not a huge foodie either! Edited by amyw

Sweet sweet Midway, I have a bottle of you at last! I liked the original Midway, but wasn't OMGWILD about it enough to hunt down a bottle; now that it's been resurrected, though, I couldn't resist. This smells just like the original, although it seems a little stronger (that's good!). Cotton candy and funnel cakes and that lovely salty note to balance out the sweetness. Love love love.

Oh, this is delicious! (This is the Resurrected version.)

In the imp, it smelled like cotton candy and taffy, very sweet-sugary.

On the skin, it shifted to a funnel cake smell, then on into suntan oil, Hawaiian Tropic-y, a bit of coconut, along with a whiff of salt on the air. Beautiful! It's the closest thing I've yet smelled to the actual smell of the beach.

Sadly, as the hours went by, it shifted back to being very sugary and cake-y. It's still really nice, though. I might just have to pick up a bottle.

Nom nom nom. Caramel disappears instantly on my skin so this is entirely funnel cake/sugar tart with salt water taffy in the background lending just a tiny bit of salt. It really does smell like a carnival midway, only without the grease and unwashed masses in a hot summer sun. :P I can almost hear the music...

Even my mom likes this one and she never says she likes anything.

resurrected version

a caveat: this oil does freeze and mine did in my mailbox :P. i tested this a couple hours after it had fully thawed, but it was probably still fairly volatile.

in the bottle i think funnel cake is something like fried dough and, yep, that's it! it's flaky, buttery dough fried to a crisp, golden crust, then doused in melted butter and dusted liberally with powdered sugar.

wet on skin the taffy surfaces as a faint whiff of something sweet and sticky and possibly pink.

dry on skin this has a moment of ick right after it dries when it smells just the tiniest bit plasticky. the plastic with all the sugary sweetness and organic foodiness gives it a funny, mushroomy smell. that dissipates very quickly, though, and it relaxes into mostly powdered sugar.

i think i really need to give this further testing. if it's as nice later as it was when it was shaken and newly thawed, this is one that i might consider a back-up bottle of.

Midway is an odd one on me.In the bottle, it's cotton candy with a hint of funnel cake grease behind it. As soon as it touches my skin it's plasticy, sugary grease for about 30 minutes. Ick. I washed it off and was ready to swap this away the first time I tried it. However, I just couldn't bring myself to do it without a second try.

Good choice.

I put it on as soon as I was out of the shower, then went about my morning routine. It faded to a sweet, sugary smell, so I left it on, thinking that a nice, light smell would be best when dealing with the hoards of holiday museum-goers. I didn't even think about it until abouot two hours later, when I started catching the scent of caramel apples. I was confused for a while, since the room that I was in was supposed to be scented like creosote and gunpowder, and yet here was this lovely, caramel slathered apple scent. Finally it clicked. It was me!

I think this will work really well in the summer, when my skin is warmer, and the plastic note will wear itself out more quickly. Even if not, I won't be swapping this bottle. I might start wearing it when I take a nap, so that I wake up to yummy caramel apple smell. I might even purchase another bottle. I love the smell of caramel apples.

My Midway froze as well, it looked like candle wax in the bottle!

Bottle: Salty cotton candy

Wet: Salty cotton candy, a touch of fried dough. At first there's a bit of the plastic scent.

Drydown: The plastic scent is gone and I'm left with salty fried dough and cotton candy. I wish I got some caramel apple, but I don't! I love this scent though, it's very well done!

4.0 outta 5

(This review is for Midway: Resurrected.)

I began by testing a drippy drop from the cap, and it smelled just like I had hoped - a sugary, yummy goodness, almost-caramel but not sickeningly so, almost-cake but not really....

So then, I slathered the hell out of it, and only then did I catch a whiff of the "plasticky" business that people have mentioned. It's almost rubbery, actually. I can only smell it with my wrist in my face, and it fades and disappears completely within five minutes.

Then, it's back to sweet, carnivalley goodness. I don't get funnel cake at all (sadly), but I get cotton candy and smooth, sugary yum-fest - yo yeah - morselized niblets of love. I also get the deep scent of candied apples, without really smelling the apples but for cryin' out loud this stuff is fun!!!

It really does smell like a carnival. Not like a Six Flags park, but like a warm summer night at a rural fair, with soft yellow lights everywhere and the scent of warm, sticky goodies hanging lazily in the air.

Midway is a decadent, fun-filled, sugary-sweet indulgence. It reminds me of the commercial perfume Pink Sugar, but 100x better (PS makes me ill, it's gross on me). I'm so so happy Beth resurrected it for BPALversary, it's freakin delish! My wrist is going to be chained to my nose for the day : -D

Nom nom nom.

Yes. Nom nom nom indeed.

4.8 out of 5

(This review is for Midway: Resurrected.)

This was the last oil I tested out the day I got my box in the mail, because it was the one I was counting on to sweep off my feet and I wanted to save the best for last.

I dipped the toothpick in, slathered on my arm, and before I could put the toothpick down or the cap back on the bottle, I wanted to drop everything and chew my arm off. I get funnel cake and caramel apple at first whiff. When it settles down, I get the cotton candy and salty taffy notes. It's delicious, it's warm, it's my favorite BPAL yet. It's the first one I've felt so crazy about that I wanted to dance around the room. It's also the first one I've wanted to hoard, and of course it's a LE..

this is the Resurrected version.

in the bottle: LOADS of coconut. that's all i can smell, and I WANT MORE!

wet on skin: coconut still strong but a sugary goodness is coming through. not like Sugar Skull, more like a sugar-creme. STILL want more.

dry down: a beautiful vanilla emerges, very much like the aforementioned funnel cake, that's what it reminds me of. foodie, but not in a yucky way.

final analysis: delicious and somehow exotic, this is one for regular use Or a night out on the town.

LOVE! :P

Midway Resurrected

In the Bottle:

pure cotton candy

On my Skin, Wet:

Sugar, Cotton Candy & strawberry (?)

I think that's actually the caramel apple - but strawberry is ok with me.

On my Skin, Dry:

Cotton Candy then Sugar, then POOF!

Almost completely gone!

I can hardly smell it at all!

Verdict:

10 of 10 on unique scale! :P

7 of 10 overall - only because it doesn't last on me :D

but I will probably get another bottle so I can slather - AND who knows when (or IF) this scent will ever return!!?

Edited by Akurarei

Resurrected:

OMG!!! This just earned itself a place in my top 10! Not to mention the top 10 of my sister in law as soon as she smelled me and begged for an imps' worth. LOL!

Yummy goodness, sheer yummy goodness.

Fruit, sugar, greasy dough- everything I love about carnival food, this matches it's description perfectly!! Staying power probably only a few hours, but so worth a second slather to get through the day!

Resurrected version:

In the bottle: buttered popcorn.

Wet: funnel cakes, cotton candy, salt water taffy.

Dry down: funnel cakes, doughnuts, cotton candy, taffy, buttered popcorn.

I AM IN LOVE.

That is all.

Good throw, average wearlength.

ETA: I was able to obtain a precious partial imp of the original Midway from 2005. Today I experimented with wearing Original Midway on one hand and Midway Resurrected on the other. I cannot discern any difference between the two. At least to my nose, aging had little effect, and the formula appears to have remained the same.

Edited by Czarina

Resurrected:

Nom nom nom, nommy nom nom. Sweet candied deliciousness. :P

Only problem: I think my skin eats it as much as I want to :D

So I can't smell it unless my nose is on my skin. But I love it. And I will wear it. And sniff myself. I just wish it had some kind of throw so I could have justified buying a zillion bottles.

Midway Resurrected-

Bottle- Mmmmmm. Buttery sweet kettle corn. There's definitely a salty-sweet popcorn note here. Also, massive amounts of cotton candy.

Wet/applied - more of the same, but....oh no! Plastic! What did I do to deserve this?! It's not all plastic, but there's definitely a plastic toy smell in there somewhere.

Drydown - ahhhh, ok the plastic seems to have faded after about 10-15 minutes, which is a relief. Now it's just nomnomnomnom, and I want to lick my arms and hair. I'm enveloped in a sugary, buttery, funnel cakey cloud of goodness. I get a hint of the suntan oil, but its mostly sugar and yummy edible things now.

Interesting, that the oil in my scent locket still has the plastic smell to it. I wonder if its reaction with my skin makes that go away?

I just read other recent reviews and it seems the plastic thing is fairly common. Weird, but this scent is everything it's described as. Not sure I'd want to wear it daily, so it probably won't trigger any hoarding instincts, but I'm glad I got a bottle.

Later - It's almost 7pm and I can still faintly smell this on my skin (though it's fully functional in my locket).

I just saw the movie Cloverfield, and there is a bit in there that made me think it was no coincidence that I wore Midway today, of all days.

Edited by scarletgenesis

Midway Resurrected:

In vial: very sweet, greasy (!) coconut.

Wet on skin: nothing at all! Where did it go? I applied liberally, but all that's there is a hint of sugar and cooking oil!

Dry on skin: ah, there it is! Close to the skin it's smooth and buttery, but the throw is sugar plus deep-fat-frying! I'm really glad I got to try this. I don't think I'd want to go around smelling as if I work in the kitchen of a doughnut shop, but it has potential as a comforting room scent. This is the most truly foody scent I've ever sniffed. I don't get apple or caramel, and I don't know what salt water taffy or sugar tart are like, but judging by this scent, I'd bet that funnel cake is extremely greasy!

Later, this still smells greasy close to, but wafts of fattening, deep-fried goodies keep reaching my nose. It lasts very well. Might be good for layering!

On me, Midway Resurrected is funnel cake and a hint of saltwater taffy. This is good and I'm so glad I bought a bottle.

In the bottle I get mostly sugar, a touch of something tangy, and a hint of coconut suntan lotion.

Wet: It's hovering on the edge of that plastic, playdoh scent Beaver Moon '05 gave me. NOOOOOO!

Dry: My skin eats every other note and leaves funnel cake, dusted generously with powdered sugar. NOMNOMNOM is the perfect description for this. I don't get any apple at all, which is a shame, because I love caramel apple and was hoping for some of that to come out. It doesn't have much throw, and fades out quickly, but it's worth the repeated slathering. I'm glad I nabbed two bottles of this while it was up, and I'm sure I'll be on the hunt for more.

This is the Resurrected version.

In the bottle it is cotton candy and taffy. Very yummy!

On me it is pure coconut suntan oil. It smells good and there is no plastic scent. It faded after a few hours and was completely gone by hour four.

I guess I set my expectations a bit too high with this. Don't get me wrong, it's beautiful, but it confuses me. At first sniff, I can smell the sweetness of the cotton candy with a bit of coconut and a very slight fruitiness. Upon application however, I get a face full of suntan lotion. I like this scent, but since I could get it from the store, I waited for it to morph....(pleaded for it to morph). It did. As it turned into a cakey candy smell, I could see the potential for complete love develop. After a few hours, when I went to pick my kids up from school, my youngest dd asked me why she was smelling candy sticks (remember those candy cigarettes). That's when I noticed I smelled like cookies! For now, I'll have to give it a 3.5 but I'm thinking this could increase. I'll have to hold on to it for a while.

*Oh I hope this one loves me if I let it age...*

Oh, beloved, beloved Midway.

I'm a hardcore foodie lover, but I am extraordinarily picky about my foodies. A kind forumite to whom I am forever indebted told me that I would probably like Midway and sent me a decant. I fell in love, found a bottle, and am now wondering what i will do when this bottle runs out.

It smells exactly like waffle cones. I used to work in a Baskin Robbins years ago, and I'd come home smelling like waffle cones. And this smells just like that, but better.

I don't really get any cotton candy or taffy, at least not noticeably, but I do get a soft, beautiful undercurrent of caramel apple. The dominant scent is certainly the funnel cake, but the caramel apple is there too, peeking out from underneath.

As far as I can tell, Midway and Midway Resurrected are exactly the same.

I am so happy with this scent I hardly know what to do. I absolutely can't stop sniffing and smiling. The whole family will be better off now that I have acquired this, since it puts me in such a wonderful mood.

For the Resurrected version:

Yummy sickly sweet stuff! I can see why this is so popular. Might even have been something I should have got a bottle of? I can’t really pick any notes in this – it’s just nice and sweet like hard candy. It definitely smells like something I would love to eat. The lasting power is not so good sadly, you have to really slather it on to get it to smell strong, or it could be one of those blends that my body chemistry really eats up. At the bottom of the sweetness there is an odd plasticky note, rubbery even, or like burnt plastic, it smells more like that since I slathered it on. Perhaps it’s not meant to be slathered? Actually, it only smells like that up close but it’s still quite annoying.

This review is for the '07 Resurrected version of Midway:

In the bottle this is straight cotton candy to my nose. Sweet, sugary, pink, delicious!

Wet on the skin it's a little smoky at first. Mmm, then the caramel apple and the funnel cake start to pop out. Ooo, now the taffy! I don't think I ever expected taffy smell to come through in perfume. This is wonderful. Every sniff is a different edible treat! Like walking down the Midway and catching whiffs of all the delicious confections, trying to choose just one. With Midway you get them all!

On full drydown it kind of goes back to the cotton candy, but it's less pink and more sugary. Almost like white rock candy drizzled in caramel? I love it! Excellent blend for foodie lovers!

Resurrected:

this is the first bottle I've ever ordered unsniffed, and based on all the reviews I was confident I'd like it.

I can hardly smell ANYTHING :P :D This makes me so sad. I have to shove my nose right on to my hand and all I get is a vaguely sweet smell. Boooooo.

Midway (Resurrected) – This is pretty much an exact replication of the original Midway – super sugary cotton candy. Yum! I seriously love this scent. I don’t smell anything except for the sweet, sugary notes. The original turned to plastic on my skin almost instantly, and it was really a horrible experience. While this version does get slightly plastic-like on my skin, it’s not too heavy, and I only smell it when I sniff up close. Perhaps it’s just my skin chemistry that has changed? Either way, I like this one a lot. It has a lovely throw and I feel like I’ve got spun sugar floating all around me. I think this version of Midway won’t have to get relegated to scent-locket-only wear, as the original was.