Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Quietude

Peace, serenity, tranquility, silence.

i'm not sure what's in here, but when wet, it smells kind of lemony without being *lemon* (if that makes sense). there's a hit of dryness as it, er, dries. it didn't morph much from bottle to dry, though.

very peaceful and tranquil. i wish i could do it justice, but i'm not. it's utterly gorgeous, though, and i love it.

First Impression: Lavender but not.

Second Impression: This works so well. I was buzzing after a hellish week and I slathered some of this on my wrists and temples and it shut my head up and calmed into a deep and dreamless sleep.

Final Analysis: The scent is a bit rosy, a but lavendery and just lovely, really clean. This will be a staple for the "can't settle down" times.

First Sniff:

Oh. Lavender. Pure lavender. Running through a field of Lavender with my hair billowing out behind me and the sky is a beautiful shade of pink grey.

Wet:

Lavender, Lemon and what I can only describe as oomph. It's a scent to wear when your mind is going a million miles per hour and you need to step back and recharge. Just sniffing it makes me calm down and step back a moment.

Dry:

It fades into a lavenderrosememory. I slathered this on and within 10 mintues I was feeling sleepy and as I laid down in bed when my mind would start whirring I'd catch a brief sniff and it'd calm down again. THe perfume ALMOST fades into obscurity but just when your mind wants to get overactive it rears its lovely head to calm you down.

Aftermath:

A WINNER. All of the Panacea blends are perfect and Quietude is amazing. If you find your mind gets too chaotic and filled with "What ifs" do yourself a favour and buy this. It will help immensely. My bottle is going to get a huge workout.

In the bottle

Unmistakeably lavender and lime.

On

A watery blend of Lavender primarily, then lime, a note of something sweet and a note of something fresh like peppermint, and finally a note that is powdery. These last three middle and bottom notes are very lightly and only in the background.

30 minutes

It turns a little off putting to me before it once again turns into the fine scent it was, only not as strong of course. It does last a whole long time as far as that goes..

Throw:

Medium

Scent category:

Water/HerbyGreen/Citrus

Summary

It works. It is a quieting, serenity producing blend. Just as sure as I'm standing here this blend has brought down my stress level from whence it was, I can feel it.

Different then you're regular "calming lavender blends", this is definitively watery in nature, not earthy. Also the lime adds a nice dimension not found in any lavender blend I've found.

The only problem is right before it's fully dry. It smells a little funny to me. I knew my chemistry couldn't let anything be that beautiful on me for too long. Now that it's all dry, it's nicer and similar to "Water of Notre Dame" on my skin.

Purchase again?

Yes. a 10ml

1-5 rating, (5 being best)

Quietude reminds me of several things. The first thing that comes to mind is when I used to work at a bath and body company who are famous for their lavender products. I remember one day I was working and a middle-aged French woman came in. She was quite chatty and discussed her childhood with me. Lavender must be harvested by hand, she told me, and she used to spend a great deal of times in the lavender fields of Provence. It was back-breaking work, to harvest all those flowers, but to this day she still loves the scent of lavender--despite loathing the work put into harvesting it.

I decided to wear this as a perfume to bed, rather than use an oil burner. I dabbed a bit on my neck and as an afterthought, placed a bit on the tip of my nose. This allowed the scent to waft to me as I lay in bed. As I closed my eyes, the first thing I thought about was that French woman. I imagined a girl walking through lavender fields, her hand trailing along and brushing the tops of the flowers. The sun is high in the air, its heat beating down on her. The song of birds and insects are light in her ears as she envelopes herself in the scent.

The scent of this blend is indeed lavender, but the astringent scent most people associate with it isn't there. Instead, it's a soft lavender that's gently tempered with lemon. The result is a soothing, relaxing night-time blend. Truthfully, I don't know how Quietude smells in its drydown stage. Though I usually don't have trouble falling asleep, this lulled me to the Land of Nod within a few blinks of the eye.

What impressed me most about Quietude is that while I only got at most, 5 1/2 hours of sleep, the next morning I felt incredibly rested and refreshed, as if I had slept 8 hours or more. The following evening I repeated the same nightly ritual (dab of oil on nose) and the results were the same.

This is an excellent blend for when you are having trouble sleeping, or if you want some quiet reflection. It's gentle, soothing, and provides dreamless nights. Insomniacs must try it. Those with too much on their mind must try it. Everyone who's ever had a bad day must try it.

So what are you waiting for? Go forth and get yourself a bottle! You won't regret it.

I'm not getting the lavender scent that everyone else has... mind you, it is reminiscent of lavender, but it's totally different too. It has a slight lemony scent (though it too doesn't smell exactly of lemon... it just has that similar zesty citrus scent), with an undercurrent of delicate rose.

I currently have a horrid headache, I am hoping this will help get rid of it and allow me to sleep well tonight. I will report back tomorrow with the effects it has on my sleep.

edited to add the following...

I just got out of the shower... just trying to wash off the Quietude wouldn't have done it, I needed a full rub-down with MeadowSweet and Honey Oatmeal Almoond soaps to get the Quietude off. I was fine at first, but when it fully dried on me, it subtly reminded me of something, not entirely sure what since I never did figure out the culprit, from years ago, that the smell of always makes me really, really nauseous. I can still smell it a bit, possibly I got some on my keyboard tray or my mousepad (fortunately, I have to replace it soon anyway), and I just feel.. ick.

My headache's worse than before, and I am now sitting here sniffing some Dragon's Milk hoping it will calm my belly a bit. I'm about to take some Tylenol Sinus and hopefully get some sleep... and I really hope tomorrow I can't still smell it, because it just totally did not work for me.

As a side note, this has nothing personally to do with the blend, because I imagine it will work great for a lot of people (and I liked the smell wet even)... it's just that one bad scent memory association that kicked in when it dried and totally killed this blend for me. :P

Edited by blackrayne

First sniff: Frozen lime and lavender.

Wearing: Oh so very lavender. Wonderful dark-purple lavender lavender lavender. With just a little bit of citrus, and just a little bit of powderiness.

I slept like a rock - well, until my resident fatcat started begging for breakfast - and Quietude had faded by morning. Looks like Somnus has some competition in the knock-my-hiney-out category.

Wet~ Lavendar, with a hint of lime.

Drydown~ Oh, this is turning into softer, sweeter lavender.. The lime is fading into the backgound...It is extremely soothing.

Dry~ the citrus note is stronger, but all in all, this blend stayed very much the same in the bottle and on me. I really like it, and it is awesome for grounding me. I have been battling chronic pain for a long time now, and Quietude is taking my mind off of it, I'm going ot rub some on my stomach and let it sink in.

Fantastic, thank you Beth.

Quietude reminds me a lot of some of the Somnium blends-- it's has the soft herbs and lavender of Baku and the citrussy tang of Nanshe-- except where Nanshe includes lemongrass or something lemony, Quietude is limey. I suppose that makes sense-- all three blends are meant to invoke a state of peace. There is something else though, something that makes the scent deeper and mellower still-- perhaps blue palmarosa?

Quietude is a wonderfully relaxing, and would make an excellent sheet spray for the bed. No doubt I'll use it much the way I use my Somnium scents. Very pretty, very calming.

First sniff:

Lime. Fresh-squeezed lime and maybe lavender, too. I was worried the smell of this might not appeal to me the way Somnus doesn't, but I really like this! It reminds me of a margarita, strangely enough...like lime and salt almost, but with lavender added. :P

Wet on skin:

The lime is a lot less intense now and the lavender is really coming out in full force. It's not too sharp and definitely not disagreeable smelling even though I'm not a big lavender fan. Maybe it's the power of suggestion, but I put this on and it was like all my tense muscles relaxed at once. I don't care what the reason is, I'm just glad I feel calm for the first time in far too long. :D

Dry down:

This isn't tolerable scent-wise the way Somnus is for me, it's downright beautiful. I'd wear this for the scent alone, to tell the truth, but I get the added bonus of feeling wonderful to boot. The lime has made a reappearance and is overpowering the lavender again, which is fine by me. I really like this and I think I'm going to need more.

The bottom line:

A winner on all fronts: looks good (love the label), smells good (never would have thought lime and lavender would go together) and works well (I feel wonderful). :D

Quietude.

I put a few drops on a handkerchief and draped it over my face. There's a sinus-opening lavender, lemon, mint combination (lemongrass? catnip?)

I could feel the tension rolling off me, and got up refreshed. I'll be getting alot of use out of Quietude.

Thanks, Beth!

This is the Panacea blend I was most eager to try, because who can't use a little quietude in their life? I am always anxious and have a hard time relaxing and not worrying all the time.

I expected this to be lavender, but this is the most strong, pure, powerful lavender I have ever encountered. I find that to be an irresistible smell, and it immediately puts my mind at ease. I had some interesting experiences with the dream blends, but this is different. I used some of this when I took a bath, and actually managed to stop worrying for a little while. The lavender slowly transitions into a lemon verbena -- I think. It isn't the candy green lime that I have encountered in a couple other blends, though it could be a mellower lime. They intermingle perfectly and far from being a cold blend to me, it is incredibly warm and comforting. If I had more of this I might make bath salts with a little to increase my relaxing bath experience. That's my favorite way to relax and achieve a very tranquil, calm, cleansed state of mind.

Again, these aromatherapy blends are incredible. I will use all of them and order full bottles of most of them. Quietude is my favorite, not only because I love lavender but because it is the thing that I am in the most need of...I will get a lot of use out of this!

at first: a perfect blend of lavender and chamomile.

on: this is beautiful and very calming.

overall: i love to put this in my hair and on my arms before i go to bed. it's just wonderful.

I have a lot of trouble sleeping sometimes, so I was very pleased to be able to try Quietude. The scent doesn't really morph at all for me - it is lavender, lime, and I get a hint of anise out of it as well. Very lovely, especially since the lavender isn't sharp as some other reviewers have also noted. It's a very refreshing blend, as well as being calming, which I think is a great combination. The refreshing aspect helps me let go of the stresses and that feeling of being wiped out, which in turn helps me calm down to sleep. From the scent, I can tell it is a therapeutic blend, not just a "pretty smelly," but it has the benefit of being very pretty to boot!

It is a very strong blend - a little dab'll do ya! I think I went a bit overboard with it, and I am really not a slatherer. I put just a bit on my wrists, temples, and hollow of my throat. It tingled my nose, and I had to hide my wrists under the blankets!! But it definitely helped me sleep - I slept very soundly. And I can still smell whiffs of it occasionally this morning - not sure if it's on my sleeve or skin. I will definitely be ordering a bottle of Quietude!

This bottle immediately went upstairs onto my night stand for sleeping purposes. I smell lavendar, but it isn't as sharp as in the other somnium blends. This is also very pretty as it dries down and very calming. It is not something I would wear as a fragrance though, even though it is quite pleasing. I think this has become my favorite for wearing to bed.

Edited by lorajc

I was lucky enough to get some of this to sample before I decide to go ahead and order a bottle. This is lavender with something like ylang ylang, and I'd go so far as to say a different jasmine than I am used to. Theres prob bergamot in this and something with a lemony scent in it. Its not like a lemon pledge lemon, its very slight, it just sort of gives it that crisp air feel to it. Very clean and cozy, I put this on my 5 year old in hopes of getting him to be quiet! It helps, but he is 5, and I don't think he understands the beauty of silence just yet. As a perfume I can't say it lasts a long time, but for aromatherapudic purposes I think its wonderful. I'm glad I got to try some!! :P

Initial Sniff: Lavender (without the astringent quality) and citrus.

Wearing: This is the smoothest lavender I've ever experienced. The blend is like its name - quiet and muted. It is mostly lavender, but my guess as to other components: lime, chamomile, and something minty. It starts out as lavender-citrus mint, and ends up lavender-chamomile.

Final Impressions: This is just lovely. It is calming and relaxing - I'll be keeping it on hand for when I'm so keyed up nothing else will do!

very calming and pure lavender, it resembles a bit to Psyche. A bit masculine too.

So far i was not so keen on the lab's lavender blends, but this is the kind of lavender i love. Somnus works great at night and Quietude will keep me peaceful at daytime. Thanks Beth, I love it :P

quietude.jpg

Almost pure lavender with just a waft of vanilla. It is beautiful, calming and refined. Makes you want to be quiet and happy. Magical, subtle, and simple.

The lavender in this is very nice. I put it on my wrists when I went to bed, and lay awake reading for awhile as per my usual nighttime routine. Quietude was there, soothing and soft. Now and then I'd sniff my wrist for a stronger hit of lavender.

About a half hour later, it turned to soap. Ivory soap, to be specific... like my wrists had turned into blocks of "so pure it floats!" Which is not unpleasant, but also not soothing lavender. It could be my body chemistry, so I will try it in a candle diffuser before passing it on.

Lavender and citrus make an odd combination, at least to my nose :P, since citrus reads as "energizing" and lavender reads as "lay your ass DOWN." There's a peripheral note that I just can't identify here...sage maybe? something herby? maybe the chamomile people keep mentioning...This is indeed calming, but it doesn't have the zzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzz quality for me that the somnium blends have. I don't like it as much as Moxie or Lustration, but I wouldn't mind a 5 or 10 ml of this :D

Initial Sniff:

Ohhh, lavender! We grow flowers and herbs in our garden in the summer, and this is the pure, soft scent of fresh sun-warmed lavender blossoms.

Wet on Skin:

Juicy lavender, with some bright citrus notes and something herbal. I can feel the scent dissolving the stress and tension from my day. All of the business and thoughts jostling for my attention just seem to melt away.

Dry:

I put this on right before bed, hoping for a good night's rest. Between convincing my brain to slow down and finding a comfortable position in bed, it usually takes me some time to fall asleep. However, only minutes after annointing my wrists, temples, and inner elbows with this, I started to feel the most glorious peacefulness descend. I could imagine myself napping outside, just sinking into a bed of lavender and letting the scent cover me in waves of purple-blue tranquility.

Ultimately:

For the past week or so, I've been having restless nights where I toss and turn, wake up, stare at the ceiling, punch my pillow, and finally find sleep again. Last night I enjoyed an interrupted rest! I'm still not a morning person, so I didn't exactly bounce out of bed to greet the day, but Quietude helped enormously. I'm ordering a big bottle, and it certainly won't be getting any rest from ME.

Edited by Silvertree

Wet - This starts out strongly lavendar, and as it dries lime comes out.

Dry - it seems to be equal parts lime and lavendar. I am not sure about this, it's pleasant enough but nothing special. I prefer the Sominum blends and Succor to this.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, this rates a 3.

in the vial i thought quietude smelled like fresh churned butter. not a buttery scent, but the actual butter when you are churning. light, fresh butter, just as it is thickening from the cream. hmmm

wet i get a peppery note, something a bit nippy, that makes my eyes water a bit. and rosemary? i am reminded of rosemary more then lavander. no citurs in this stage for me

dry: lime, fresh green sliced up lime. the peppery scent is still there maybe it is fresh gingerroot, ya know how that has an almost pepper feel.... and lavander flowers, no stems, the stems have that hsarper feel this is blossom. and still i get a hint of rosemary, altho i don't think anyone has brought that up, it could just be me.

i like this fresh clean smell, i am going to get a big bottle.

Quietude is absolutely stunning. It's lavender, to be sure, but it's a very clean, bright, cool lavender. The kind that goes right up your nose and just sort of chills and stills everything. There is a touch of sweet coldness . . . almost like mint, but not "zingy," and still with a very lavender character.

Of all the lavender blends I've tried (I'm thinking mostly of the Somnium), this is by far the clearest, purest scent. There is no earthy or herbal element to Quietude. Just total smoothness, stillness, and clarity.

It's such a beautiful scent that I'd like to wear it as perfume during the day, but this has SUCH a quieting effect on my mind that I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to function at work. This is THE perfect "switching off at night" blend, however. I wear it to bed, and I am not exaggerating when I say it switches my mind OFF -- I am able to read maybe half a page of my book before I'm in a deep, restful, uninterrupted sleep.

Outstanding.

Edited by summer