Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
wolfie13

Gomorrah

One of the Biblical Cities on the Plain, destroyed by God with fire and brimstone because of its people’s pride, prosperous ease, deceit, hedonism and indolence, and their callous, uncharitable hearts. A gritty, sordid and languid scent: ripe fig, date and currant with black herbs.

I have been fooling myself by thinking that I could live without a bottle of Gomorrah and just have an imp on hand. Gomorrah is so much more beautiful on me than Intrigue though they're somewhat similar. Gomorrah is a rich and full bodied fig with a pleasantly dark and sweet smokiness. I get something woody or peppery also, I'm guessing it's the black herbs and they add a lovely sweet earthiness. It has amazing throw and seems to get stronger and richer as time goes on. There is something so fresh and clean among this dark, ripe fruit; an almost lemon creaminess which is most likely the black currant. Mysteriously sexy and both rich and deep, fresh and bright.

In the bottle

Yummy. I smell dark reds and violets, bordeaux wine, polished gold cups, incense, blood on steel swords, swollen fruits, sex, drunkiness, decadence.

On

It's fabulous. And the fig is rocking this blend. This is so dead on to what one would imagine gomorrah to smell like.

As it starts to dry the succulent fig and black herbs are in the forefront and comingling very well. It's awesome.

30 minutes

The fig is still there, it hasn't morphed a whole bunch. Now I smell ripe drunken fruits left in ceramic pots to cure in the cool night air while gamblers, grifters and ladies of the evening eye their next chosen, who drift in the dark smokey, lecherous, alleyway.

Throw:

bit more than average

Scent category:

foody/herby and I don't even know what else.

Summary

Whether you love the way this blend sounds or hate the way it sounds, you must get some. If one wants a sniff of what Gomorrah smells like, this is it.

Purchase again?

God yes. A 5ml.

1-5 rating (5 being best)

First sniff: Dark, dark mint. Gomorrah makes me think of walking through an herb garden in the middle of a moonless night. There’s something ever-so-slightly anise-y in the afterscent… I’m hoping that stays in the background.

Wearing: The fig is very present on my skin, round and ripe and almost syrupy. Fig always does weird things on me. I can’t tell what it is until I know it’s there, and then it seems to be the dominant note. Fortunately, I like it. :P

Gomorrah smelled a bit too strong for my tastes in the bottle - I think I smelled some of the rich fruits (fig, date, etc) but it was very heavy and powdery on my skin. I'm beginning to think maybe it's the fig, which would be just tragic, because I have a fig scent from another perfumer, and it smells delicious on me.

There was also an element of something much darker in here - it made me think of patchouli. I don't know if this contains it or not, but patchouli and me don't mix. Sigh.

Gomorrah: This blend starts off kind of gritty like dirt, not the fresh wet dirt that you smell in Nosferatu but fresh dry kind. After about 5 min the fig and date start to appear and it gets sweet. This one does not stay long on me though so I guess that I have to slather a little. :P I like it , On a 1 to 5 scale this is a 4 for me.

In the bottle: Herbs, mostly. I'm not the best at notes, but I would swear I smell... coffee? Or that fake coffee, what is that? (After google search: chicory). A very bitter scent.

First on: Ah, so there are figs in this. A nice sweetness permeates when it touches the warmth of my skin. This is v. figgy. Not quite my bag... I picked this up in a swap and I think I might have overburdened my nose when I selected it.

Dry: It's faded into a pretty standard musky cologne scent,though it is still there, it's pretty figgy. I don't find this scent really sinful at all.

Overall: Meh. Not a fave.

gomorrah

at first: very dark. almost sweet, but not quite. it's very masculine to my nose.

on: pretty, but i can't seem to pick out any notes. i'm mostly getting herbs.

1 hour later: mostly herbs with a hint of fig and date.

2 hours later: very, very dark. maybe a bit too dark for me.

overall: i'm not sure about this one. it's warm, but dark. i'll probably keep it around for a while, at least, since it may be good for fall or winter.

Bottle (Imp): This smells like a fresh salad to me. No dressing yet, just the salad part.

Just On: Yeah, I distinctly smell something that's similar to lettuce. There's other stuff too, so I would place this in the herby category.

An hour or two later: Whoa, total change, it's really sweet now.

Around 6 hours: Okay, now this seems a litte dry, and a little sweet.

12 hours: The last bits of dryness.

Overall: Hmm, interesting all along. No clue what's in it, but decent altogether.

After reading other reviews: Wow, I'm not sure what I'm smelling... but it doesn't sound like much others have described. Might have to try this one again.

Gomorrah initially is a very dark scent, as it's all sharp, bitter herbs. The fruits (fig and date) slowly emerge, adding a sweetness and roundness to the herbal overtone. Finally, the fruits are replaced by a warm, sensual amber, but the scent still retains its herbal bite.

Gomorrah works well on me, as almost all amber scents do, but I have quite a few that I enjoy more, so I think that I will use up the imp but not buy a bottle.

I was sure there was cedar or sandalwood in this one, so I was really surprised when i looked at the description. It comes out really woodsy/incensey on me, I guess it's maybe the black herbs that are creating this effect. It makes me think of sultans and belly dancers and smoky, lusty harems. Might be good as a room scent, but just not for me.

My Impression:

This is a very dark herbal and peppery tea scent in which the fig comes out after drydown. Not at all sweet and somewhat bittersweet. It amazed me that it was so smoky dark. Perhaps this is best as a room scent or on a man, as it is just not me.

I conduded that it was the black pepper that seemed to dominate the vetiver and fig in this one. :P

My scale of 1-5 ....3

In the bottle: Fig & vetiver. This is the first fig scent I've really gotten, I can't tell if I like it yet.

First on: this hit its sweet phase on me right away. I can smell mostly figs and dates, and I really like it. I want to keep sniffing myself. Yet for some reason while I love the smell, I'm not sure if I want to smell like it. If that makes sense.

Drydown: This is still the same. I was hoping for something darker, especially with the vetiver I smelled in the bottle. It's a nice blend of fruits in the date/fig/I swear I smell plum or apple too. It's not smoky or dark on me in the least, but is instead a nice purple fruit like scent.

In the Imp: I get the fig and dates. Very earthy and ripe.

Wet on skin: Very strong of ripened fruit. Woah.

Drydown: I think that is either vetiver or patchouli, I'm bad at notes sometimes. There is definately a dirtiness there with the ripened fruit, but a I can smell the currant and it rounds out the fragrance nicely. I get some herbs too as this dries down even furthur, about 10 minutes. This is a wonderful scent, makes me feel very grounded. Another bottle added to the list.

Dark and smokey, lots of incense like herbs that I can't quite identify and a dry down of sweet fig. This start off full of opium and smoke and currant underneath and fades into sweetness. Very decedant and utterly sinful, this was gorgeously complex but really never really had any staying power on me for some reason.

This starts off very strong, and when first applied it smells of burnt molasses to me! UGHHHHH. Horrible for the first 10-15 mins, I cant even sniff it at that time. This does however drydown to one of the most beautiful scents ever, so worth the 15 mins of agony. Me loves Gamorrah!

A freebie from the lab. Woo hoo! You guys rock!

Right out of the imp, this smells earthy like patchouli with the tiniest touch of vetivert. I can swear I can smell chocolate in this, it has the same cocoa smell like Tezcatlipoca. After reading the description, my nose is obviously on crack and I think I am smelling fig. I never smelled fig before and I think I like it :P It smells sweet, deep and rich. Something else smells sweet, like how black tea brewing gives off a pleasant aroma.

After this dries it gets more intense. I can smell purple fruits floating over top of the figs and patchouli. The staying power is incredible, the longer it is on, it gets deeper and more complex. I put this on in the early morning and it lasted until the late evening. This is perfect. I want a bottle!

My cat Priest will not leave me alone when I wear this. He will try to lick all the spots where I applied the oil and he gets a glazed look in his eye. I think he likes it, too. :D

gomorrah.jpg

Bottle: I smell mostly the black herbs, I guess, cuz I can't smell the fruit. Very cut grass smell, but darker

Wet, still predominantly black herbs, but now its developing sweetness, the sweetness is fig, I think, cuz it reminds me of my beloved intrigue.

Early Dry: Very dark herby smell, but with the earthy woodsiness of fig (fig goes cedar/woodsy on me--which I love), and something vaguely fruity (nonfig) way in the back. So far, so good. Very warm smelling.

It develops a slightly sweet and fruity smell (currant?), but its got dark and dirty florals

Intrigue is round and smooth, this is its less refined cousin--its definitely "gritty" like the description says, but in an oh-so-good way.

Later Dry: Its mellowing, still very warm, and still like a "dirty", earthier, smokier intrigue with a hint of berry. I also am beginning to think that the herbs in this smell a bit like the herbs from the lunacy I've tried (which admittedly only one--pink moon).

3 hours: fades a lot, but it's also on my "mouse" hand.

Overall: I think I like it. I love Intrigue--it's a slow seduction in the dark corner of a Caribbean spy club. Its cousin, Gomorrah is a debaucherous romp in a dirty open-air market, after hours :P . Glad I bought a bottle unsniffed.

Edited by jewelbug

I wore Gomorrah today entirely on accident. I only meant to sniff the imp, but somehow managed to spill half the imp down my left arm. :P

I thought that this would be extremely overpowering, given the large amount on my skin, but it's still very subtle and light. The first thing that I noticed was FIG. Dark, almost bitter fig. There's no sweetness here at all. Fig has an almost woody smell on my skin. In the drydown I thought that it smelled a lot like unsweetened black tea. A very bitter (in a good way) blend. Light throw, but serious.

Looking at the description now... I'm not sure what dates smell like, but I definitely never smelled any currant in this blend. I like this a lot, but I'm not sure that I'll wear it much. I prefer a sweeter fig than the fig that is in Gomorrah.

In the bottle:

Eww. No offense meant on the part of Beth's beautiful creativity, there are just some smells that don't sit right with me, and this is one of them. It smells rotten, like overripe fruit.

On me:

At first - this is still that vaguely rotting smell, with a touch of slightly dark nutty smell, that I quite dislike. I thought I was doomed to hate this scent. Then...about 5 minutes into it... it turns into a beautifully bright, crisp, fresh fig scent. There isnt' much more to say about this scent, except that it's the kind of fig that smells like it's right in front of you and perfectly ripe. It's a juicy scent if that makes any sense.

Final notes:

Fig isn't really my thing, though I do like it once in a while. If I'm in a figgy mood, Gomorrah is my scent. I'm really glad that my initial impression of this scent didn't stick. Though I wouldn't buy a bottle probably, I will definitely keep and use my imp :P (would make a LOVELY room scent, I just thought of that)

I don't know what black herbs are, but my chemistry turns black herbs, patchouli, and certain musks into a mediocre spicy scent that overwhelms all the other notes. Gomorrah smelled exactly the same as Lilith and Vixen. :P

I always did hate chemistry in school. I think this is its revenge.

I'm freaking out because I LOVE figs, and I am eagerly waiting Freakshow...but Gomorrah and Nemisis are smelling the same on me, and I can only assume it is the fig~!My skin is ignoring eveything else and amping up a pencil shaving scent that I can only assume is the fig (never thought fig smelled like an art box before... :P ).

I hate giving a lame review but that is it on my skin...no depth, no unfolding... I smell like a pencil.

It starts with the fruity notes and the herbs as a bottom line, smelling like black tea. I get fig, date and currant, all those sexy and ripe fruits.

It's a sin made perfume, and it fits the name very well. :P

In bottle: Very, very herbal. I can smell something a little sweet and fruity, but mostly the herbs. Definitely a nighttime scent.

Wet: a light herbal. Something smells kind of minty on me...very curious.

Dry: for the most part, I like this scent, but I can't shake the mint note. This is definitely one to try in the oil burner.

Hm... wet I am getting a smell of tea, with a scent after it that reminds me of old-fashioned milled soap. The fig is emerging, and something almost chocolatey. It's a very rich scent, very deserty. It's like the way your mouth tastes after enjoying a chocolate-cherry cake and then having a sip of tea with milk.

Sin-alicious.

Drydown is mostly fig, with a backdrop of tea. The herbs are coming through as it sits.... but hm, fig fig fig. Smells like a Christmas crafts-store section.

Annnnndddd... it stays that way on me.

Gomorrah is one of those lovely scents, that fades way too fast on my skin.

It also morphs quite a bit: Starts as a fruity, tea scent evocative of White Rabbit. Then warms into a rich fig -- I have never smelled a real, ripe fig but there is a definite Fig Newton similarity here (only not quite. And it's rounded out with a tea/herbal backdrop).

But just as I am starting to enjoy it, it fades it nothing within half an hour :P :D