Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Nuit

... Her perfume is starry and crystalline, a jewel-clad and glittering paean to night: dazzling white musks, white rose and night-blooming jasmine with the soft moss of moonlit meadows, a waft of Egyptian incense, and a gentle breath of moonflower.

I didn't really expect this to work on my skin, too floral, but it turned out to belong to a group of "generic BPAL florals" I like a lot. It reminds me of Bayou, Dunwich and New Orleans: a moist, heavy floral. I'd say lilies: large, white, waxy flowers, but it also has an almost decaying greenhouse scent. I normally don't get a lot of throw but with this floral group I get a sweet floral cloud in the air, while Nuit is a little more soapy directly on the skin. I love it for sentimental reasons because it reminds me of one of my first BPAL loves, Bayou, but it has a certain coolness or freshness that is closer to Dunwich, it's not as cloying as Bayou.

you know, when I first started with BPAL, I thought I was the anti-floral. and Jasmine was public enemy number one.

but you know....I've been all about the flowers, though what I've been desirous of is a comination of floral and oriental. I think nuit is doing that for me.

This imp was frimped to me from a swap, and so I believe that it is aged. what I get is the sense that I'm in a room at night with the windows open, and night blooming jasmine is wafting in through the windows while i'm burning incense... a resinous blend, with amber or benzoin, and off in the corner is a bouquet of moon-pale roses that only blush slightly pink at the edges. when I got them, they were open just a little more than rosebuds. now they're open, nearly in full orgiastic bloom. and I'm lying on a fainting couch staring out the window because It's damn near too hot to sleep but the night is so beautiful anyway. when the breeze is strong, it's jasmine, when it ebbs, it's incense, and they trade off being on "top" scent-wise but that delicate rose stays true, just underneath it.

It's beautiful, it's warm, it's the perfume of a woman who flops down on your sofa and says, "I don't know what to do - Blaine and James and Chad are all pressing me to choose, darling, but I'm thinking I should just dump them all and start over, what do you think?"

i dont know what happened-the first time i tried this it was nice, today i try it again and ugh, it doesn't work on me :/

the florals turn very cloying and sweet on me and it's giving me a headache.

Edited by theseagrows

Frimp from the lab :D At first sniff it is all flowers, like our garden in the evening, definetly getting the starry element.

On the skin it warms up and the musk and incense start to come out, glorious. A paean to the night indeed, this scent is making me feel rather nocturnal if you know what i mean!! :D In saying that i get the classy, sophisticated element as well, very refined and knowing :P

Eta, am starting to get a wonderful spiceyness coming out, very nice!

Edited by Tallulah

I love the description of Nuit and was desperate to try it for a long time. The lovely Space Kitty send me an imp to sniff, but it was pretty meh on me. It's funny how the oils you're sure you will love sometimes turn blah while toatally unexpected ones will be wonderful.

So anyway, amazingly Nuit didn't work for me. It seemed that my skin amped the white musk so everything else was just in the backround to it.

Ugh. Floral hates my skin.

In the bottle: Nuit has all the makings of a nasty, jasmine-y white floral. And yet I apply.....

Wet: It certainly doesn't dilly-dally! The jasmine takes over almost at once.

Drydown: It actually never got to drydown. I don't see the point of wearing unpleasant perfume that one's already smelled, so I washed it off.

In the bottle: A thick floral, this gives off a golden colour for me.

First on: Thick and heady, not sure which floral I'm getting, or if it's the incense that is making this so heavy, either way, it's very rich.

After a bit: It starts to lighten up a bit, the white musk is coming out and some delicate sweet but slightly tart florals are there.

After a bit more: I think I'm getting lotus mixed in with musk and moonflower as well as the very fragrant jasmine.

This is a very feminine blend and very floral. I'm rather glad the incense hides after a bit, def a keeper.

bottle:

floral - jasmine?

wet:

jasmine and rose

dry:

just jasmine and rose - a very light scent.

overall:

nice!

rating: 7/10

i'm bound and determined to trudge my way through and try every single little imp i've got at some point.

i read somewhere that there's something in jasmine that, if in large quantities for most people, or even tiny amounts for others, smells like human. um.... *flush*

anyway. i've never much cared for that jasmine scent. pretty flowers and all, but....

wet, fresh from the imp all i got was JASMINE -- like Jasmine Guy came over, drank all my tequila, tried to make out with my other half, threw up in my shoes and then passed out in the bathroom with the door locked.

thankfully, that faded into jasmine soap and a vaguely unshowered smell.

i feel like i've been leaving nothing but bad reviews and that makes me sad! i love the mastery of these oils, but i have very specific likes and dislikes and odd skin. :P

I'm not a floral girl, but I had to try Nuit, because of who she is. Right out of the bottle, the florals were extremely strong, but settled down into a soft blend that I felt suited her. A little sparkly, a little understated, I will definitely wear her again.

this starts off as a lovely floral, which has been hard for me to find! normally any jasmine is extremely dominant and aggresive and ultimately unpleasant, but that is not so here. The lush soft wafts of flowers relax and invigorate at the same time. I wanted to mix this into a lotion, or better yet, a massage oil.

as it dried, it lost some of the richness and depth and started smelling more like a floral perfume that had been sitting on a vanity for decades. a bit sharp, even. It has remained so as it fades away.

I am a little disappointed that I am unable to break out any of the complex and interesting notes involved in some of Beth's floral blends. Chemistry. beh.

In the imp, this smells like pretty flowers. On, the flowers remain. It reminds me a bit of Gypsy Queen. I can smell rose, other flowers, and a soft incense. This is a really pretty floral scent. This is another one that I can see my mother really enjoying. This is a really pretty floral scent.

Nuit sounds like a winner, from the jasmine to the moonflower.. but as much as I genuinely like this scent, it falls a bit short of expectation for me. It's soft and understated and perfect for a dressed up night out with my bf, unfortunately its too subtle for him.

7/10

Nuit - the moment this touched my skin, I smelled jasmine and had my usual “Oh no!” reaction – because when I wear jasmine, I usually reek of jasmine (and only jasmine) for hours. However, the jasmine in this blend is definitely present but it doesn’t overwhelm the rest of the notes! This scent is heady and powerful and there’s nothing soft or subtle about it. It has incredible throw and lasting power. The rose note is incredibly subtle and I only catch a whiff of it occasionally, unexpectedly, and as soon as I smell it, it’s gone again. The moonflower and incense blend together impeccably and it’s difficult to distinguish one from another – they are such a perfect combination of notes. This is a gorgeous scent. It’s bold and beautiful yet feminine and romantic. Love it!

I expected Nuit to be beautiful and captivating. What I got out of it was a snootful first of jasmine and then rose. The problem is that jasmine and rose are two of my least favorite floral notes because they tend to be quite strong on my skin. Nuit does start to seem musky after the rose phase, but not enough to make this something I'd want to wear. This just isn't the sort of floral that I like.

I am testing Dirty at the same time as Nuit, and I like Dirty about 10x better.

I bought an imp of Nuit as a departure from my usual picks of incense-y or resiny scents. I am interested in the goddess Nuit, and thought she might be good to try. In the bottle, the scent is very floral. I'm not certain what it means to be a white floral, though others describe it that way. On me, it turns soapy.

Summer made Nuit a little better, to the point where it was wearable, but it is not one of my favorites.

the description of Nuit made me curious after I received this as a frimp in a transaction recently... so, I was cautiously optimistic about testing it.

unfortunately, nothing but jasmine on me... jasmine, jasmine, jasmine... *sigh* not too pretty on me.

off it goes!

Shockingly, overwhelming jasmine, though I think the rose might be lending a bit to the sharp note. I don't smell any of the warmth of the musk or incense. Luckily, I like jasmine enough that I'm not scrubbing this off and I might use this on occasion, but it's not something that I'll be reaching for often.

This smells very like a moonlit grove, the kind you see painted in acryllics -- very stark blacks in the background and strong white moonlight shining through the leaves. There is nothing soft or particularly romantic about it.

It is, however, softening a bit as I'm writing this. Still not the sort of night you'd meet a lover for a tryst, but softer. The rose is starting to dominate. Mmmm, this is actually really nice now.

On wet this was a beautiful, big, juicy floral. Lovely, just the sort of thing I like.

Sadly, when it dries on me it turns to nasty soap. Nasty, cheap soap.

This one for swaps from me.

Nuit:

Ahh Nuit, in the vial it's overwhelmingly floral...

On my skin, I get mostly jasmine and some moonflower.

It dries down to a jasminey perfumey musk that I kinda like.

It's not on my must-have big bottle list but I'll keep the imp and use it when I feel super girly.

Nuit-

In Bottle: A warm floral.

Wet: Sourish floral.

Dry: This stayed sourish until it faded, within a couple of hours. Not for me.

Overall: Not for me.

JASMINE...Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

I can't put this on my skin at all >< Jasmine makes me feel sick to my stomach. It reminds me of old, stinky diapers.

Out of the vial I smell a very strong jasmine with a bunch of hideous flowers.

Bleh.

At first I get a definite scent of moonflower and a yummy spicy note (egyptian incense I believe). After the initial drydown there's a very nice blend of white musk and a soft jasmine. Not as outstanding as I expected it to smell, but still a great blend nonetheless.

I was given this as a free sample in a off-site swap with the beautiful midnight_aeval.

I'm so glad I was! Damn - this is as good a nighttime blend as Somnus, all beautiful jasmine blended with roses. It strongly reminds me of the TAL: Nocturne as well. I only wear scents that soothe me like this at night or when I'm ill - they're ceremonial, in a way. This is a definite 5 ml purchase, as with my migraines and sleep issues any scent that calms and soothes me is a necessity.

So incredibly lovely. :P I want to write the Labbies fan letters full of gushing praise when I find something so precious. </geek>