Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

She is the Goddess of the Sky, one of the Ennead, daughter of the air [shu] and water [Tefnut], lover of Geb and Hadit, the Eternal Mother, and the Receiver, Reviver and Protector of the Dead, whose loving, divine embrace shields our souls from annihilation. She is love, rapture, splendor, continuous and eternal birth and rebirth, infinite space, and the “the naked brilliance of the voluptuous night”. Nuit is Earth’s guardian, and shields her lover and her mortal children from the primeval chaos that threatens Existence. Her perfume is starry and crystalline, a jewel-clad and glittering paean to night: dazzling white musks, white rose and night-blooming jasmine with the soft moss of moonlit meadows, a waft of Egyptian incense, and a gentle breath of moonflower.

Nuit is a rich and gorgeous floral blend. Out of the bottle and freshly applied, the jasmine and musk truly sparkle and are dominant on me. But I have repeatedly found that the jasmine in many BPAL blends (The Caterpillar, Euphrosyne, Moscow) overwhelmed me when the blend was fresh from the lab... only to morph into a well-mannered and beautiful top note once the oil has aged a month or so. I have every reason to believe that Nuit will become even more balanced and that the subtle notes will come through once this has aged a wee bit and the individual notes have married, since I get a hint of smokiness as it begins to dry down and the jasmine backs off. I'm very happy I ordered a bottle of this one.

Yay!!! A jasmine blend I think I can wear. I think this works on me mainly because of the musk and incense in it. It starts out a bit floraly on me.....I detect the jasmine, but I think because it is Night blooming....it is a bit different than the usual "in your face" jasmine that my skin tends to amp up. I've had this on for an hour or so and it has mellowed to a soft floral (jasmine/moonflower mostly) with the "moonlit meadow" feeling coming thru and the incense reminds me of the way the incense softens Storm Moon, although it smells nothing like Storm Moon. I still need to wear this for an entire day before I know for sure I can wear it, but it seems fine right now. I really like this one. I'm glad I bought it.

When I first applied Nuit, I was startled by how clean, pure, and appealing the rose smelled. (I haven't liked any other BPAL blends with rose.) My second thought was that this blend describes perfectly what it feels like to be in the loving arms of the Goddess. I haven't had this much of an emotional reaction to any other BPAL. Wow.

A couple hours later, the florals have faded but are still melded perfectly, and the incense is laying softly on my skin. This is so beautiful... and to think I almost didn't try it because of the rose!

This is going to make an awesome meditation blend.

in the vial it is a strong floral....not real sure about this one

wet: jasmine, but as others have said it isn't the jasmine i am used to, it doesn't have that sharp metal edge. not bite. after maybe 5 seconds i get a very brief soapy scent but it passes after a second or two.

as it dries: teh jasmine is taking a back seat, or atleast mingling w/ the other passangers, the incense is the note in the forefront w/ a nice floral background making things a wee bit femenine. all in all not bad, and by far the better jasmine scent i have tried.

This is a pale pale purple scent to my inexperienced nose. It is almost exclusively jasmine that I am smelling in the blend, and while it is a calming scent, it's almost.... too calming.

Very very floral. I have a hunch this will turn to "powder" on me before too long. :P

Absolutely stunningly fucking beautiful. Stars like diamonds in a black velvet sky. A religious experience, like the Goddess just manifested in front of your face.

Somehow high and pure and deep at the same time. In the vein of Moon Rose, but more.

If you don't like florals and you don't like rose and you don't like jasmine and you don't like musk -- get this. If it doesn't change your mind, nothing will.

I have an intense dislike for any Jasmine notes, but I cannot resist trying every BPAL oil that I come into contact with.

This perfume was so strongly jasmine, that you could easily convince me that it was a single note (or maybe my nose just isn't sophisticated enough, lol).

I never put this on my skin because the jasmine was overpowering in the bottle and I could not stand it. Of course, I then proceeded to spray the entire table with the oil when I snapped the lid back on the imp and got it all over my hand. :P

If you like jasmine, this is the scent for you!

In the bottle: That's nice actually. I'm not really sure what it smells like, but it does smell pretty and comforting. It seems very night-time and does bring to mind the night sky glittering with lovely stars.

Wet: Hmm...I'm not sure what that...oh no. Moss. It's moss. I smell like moss again. I don't like smelling like moss. Please go away in the dry down. Please go away. Evil moss. :P

Dry down: Oh, good, the moss is fading away. That was a very close call because while I can wear moss, I don't want to. Hmmm...somewhat waxy floral smell now. This was a little ncier in the bottle than on my skin, which isn't really that surprising. The throw is sweeter than it is on the skin. Moonflower. I recongize it from the Moonlight Path lotion from B&BW. I can't wear it. Moonflower is a little too heady for me.

Dry: Soap. It smells like a floral soap or candle. It's not a bad smell but it has an odd waxiness that is not terribly appealing to me. Le sigh. I was hoping that this one would work because there are a lot of things in it that should be pretty on me, but also some things that do not like my skin much at all. Oh well.

I have a problem with Jasmine. It turns sickeningly sweet on my skin.

Having said that, this is one of the BEST jasmine scents I have experienced.

It's deep, it's sexy, it reminds me of something that a screen goddess or femme fatale of the '40s would wear. Very, very womanly. It's the perfect type and amount of Jasmine for my skin. We like each other.

It's a dress-up scent, a night-time scent, a special occasion scent. It's that sexy. Beth, you've done it again.

It has a lovely "throw," too. It doesn't cling closely to the skin. It makes me feel like a goddess.

Oh, this is beautiful! It reminds me of an incense I used to love called "Queen of the Night". It's not an exact match, but it's close enough to remind me. The jasmine is not too cloying or sweet, as jasmine tends to get sometimes. It's so well blended, yet with a light incensey feel, I can't even describe how very pretty this is. If you love florals and lighter incenses, you will love this. I am really enjoying this. Definitely a big bottle! :P

The description had me hoping that the jasmine wouldn't overtake the other components. I can handle jasmine in some blends, like Sophia, where it isn't the starring character.

It didn't work out as I'd hoped. Nuit was really strongly jasmine on me. I can't catch the musks or the incense at all. The rose and the moonflower I'm unsure about -- I think I *might* be able to detect something floral-other-than-jasmine under the jasmine, but it's difficult, and it's just not showing up on me very perceptibly.

I have a new goddess on my Top Ten list, and her name is Nuit.

I bonded immediately with this scent the second I sniffed it on my wrist in a way that I can only describe as emotional, as well as olfactory. I ordered this bottle before testing, and I was hoping and praying that I would adore Nuit, because I have a special love and affinity for the great Goddess of the Sky. I'm thrilled to say that it's everything I hoped for and more.

It opens with sweet and creamy jasmine...not sharp or overpowering at all on my skin, as so many jasmines can be. I also detect the subtly sweet smell of the moss that blends so exquisitelywith the flowers.

The sweet topnotes warm down into a gentle middle incense accord. Just enough to keep me smelling my wrist blissfully.

I was worried...so very worried...about the white musk. Musk is my nemesis, but the musk in the drydown of Nuit is perfection, and matches wonderfully with the sweet jasmine.

I adore this fragrance. I worship at the jasmine-bedecked feet of this blend!

:P

~Nuit~

In the bottle

light incense and musk with equal parts rose and jasmine.

On

This is one of those wonderful Beth blends where all the ingredients just seemlessly blend perfectly together.

It seems they were made for each other.

30 minutes

This hasn't morphed at all, bright but sensual jasmine and rose with a light incense and must background.

Throw:

Light medium

Scent category:

Floral/Resin/Animalistic

Summary

What a great floral. This is real close to "Salome" but with rose. It's not a strong floral, but it's not light. It's heady but not in a headache inducing way. It's light and deep all at once.

What is it about Jasmine that it goes so well with musk or incense?

And the rose? Who knew. I think I still might like Salome better though.

Purchase again?

Yes. a 5ml

1-5 rating (5 being best)

Nuit

In the bottle: soft, gentle dewy florals-jasmine is prominent, plus something that reminds me of Midnight-probably the moonflower, and a hint of green. It's definitely a 'nocturnal' smell.

Wet on skin: ooh, this reminds me of dewy grass and jasmine! Very nice, very light.

Dry on skin: oh wow! I can make out jasmine other white blooms, including some fresh, crisp rose, but there's also a lovely undertone of dewy moss here, which adds a fresh green note, maybe some musk, but this is so well blended that it all melts into one amazing scent. It reminds me a bit of Midnight, but more rich, decadent and more floral, and warmer, yet still dewy. It's very heady though, meaning I should apply less next time, a good thing because it means the bottle will last longer.

After a while: Before it was a huge bouquet of flowers, but now I can recognise the jasmine, I love BPAL's jasmine because it smells just like the stuff in my garden! It's also becoming 'fresher', the floral is toned down by this definite 'night air and dew' scent. I think the musk is coming through, and there's another, deeper note I can't quite recognise, maybe it's incense?

After about an hour, the scent has undergone an incredible transformation, and has become the scent of a summer night. The floral has faded a bit, but there's an amazing ' night air' smell, like the smell you get after a hot day, and the cool of night is a welcome relief. One could say it was ozone-y but it's not stormy, rainy or marine at all-this is the smell of a star-filled summer night by water (the Nile, most probably) with just the barest hint of jasmine and maybe, just maybe, even a hint of sweet smoke. It's cool and fresh, and I can make definitely make out the white musk in this.

After a few hours, a lovely, soft white musk remains, lingering subtly on my skin.

Verdict: I had such high hopes for this, because Nuit is one of my favourite Egyptian goddesses, she's the goddess of the stars, and the notes in this sound amazing. (is it coincidence that the French word for night is 'nuit'?) Thankfully, this one impressed me to no end. I'm so glad I love florals, and that they really go well with my skin. The flowery blend blew me away, it's a gorgeous, beautiful, heady nocturnal flower smell, heady and sumptuous, which then becomes a wonderful cool, dewy, summer night air scent-like a starry night in Egypt, with a hint of light musk. It's apt for a goddess, that's for sure. I'm so glad I have a 5ml because it's beautiful!!! This has shot straight to the top of my list of all time favourite BPAL scents.

Edited by yeahbutnobut

Sigh. I am just not a rose person. I like jasmine. I like musk. I like moonflower. I like rose, even, but rose doesn't like me. :D My chemistry amps up anything with the slightest bit of rose in it so that I smell like "a rosey old lady," as my husband puts it. Unfortunately, Nuit was no exception, so my bottle of Nuit has found a loving home with fulltiltredhead. :P

In the imp: Sweet nighttime florals.

Initial application: The night-blooming jasmine takes over - which is not necessarily a bad thing, given that I adore it.

After half an hour: The other elements are starting to make themselves felt now. The musk is definitely coming into play, giving it a feeling of warmth, and I can detect a little rose weaving its way in, along with just the barest hint of the incense. I don't really know what moonflower smells like, so not sure if I'm getting any of that at this point.

So far, this truly does seem like an Egyptian-night kind of scent... not that I've been to Egypt, but there's an impression of night falling on a warm, sun-baked place. If this does anything different in the continuing drydown, I'll come back and edit later.

First Sniff:

*swoon* Night. Stars. Something dark and mysterious. I wish I could pick out the notes in Nuit but I can't.

Wet:

It reminds me a lot of Midnight but more femiine. I get a bit of a headache from the florals but I think its because I accidently slathered myself in it :P

Dry:

The overpowering flowers are gone! It's a wonderful sparkling greenish white flower that reminds me of a secret garden of sorts.

Aftermath:

Nuit's sort of Midnight's younger, more ethereal and darker sister. The jasmine is a wee bit overpowering but I'm sure once I let it age a bit it'll be fine. A definite keeper and try it out if you're a fan of light florals!

Normally I don't try anything with jasmine because it doesn't agree with my skin. But I adore meadow scents.

Wet: pure jasmine. I'm worried, but decide to wait it out.

Drying: moss and roses, but pure and wet

Dry: It seems to waver between the moss/roses and a more aquatic flower scent.

But not at all sweet. This is like a meadow at night with a pond or stream. Wonderful.

Worship Nuit? How could I not?

Rating (on skin): 1/5

Summarised in a word or two: Jasmine and... alcohol.

In the imp/bottle: Crisp, musky jasmine.

On skin, wet: Musk, incense and that bright, lovely jasmine.

On skin, dry: There's something in this on the drydown that smells like... alcohol. Strong alcohol. The jasmine is beautiful, but that alcohol-like element makes me think of a high-end commercial designer perfume.

Conclusion: I tried this again in Jan '06. For some reason, I'm digging jasmine lately. Nuit was absolutely beautiful (instantly 5ml worthy), but dry, it reeked of alcohol and a perfume counter, and gave me a hell of a headache. Alas, Nuit and I are not to be friends.

Edited by Aredhel

I got this one in the hopes it would be more incense-y, but alas, it's pure florals, gorgeous, but not me.

I too only am picking up the musk and jasmine, but I'm also not the most gifted in sniffing out notes.

I do think it's a very classy scent, and dare I say, almost commercial? I could see this in a designer Chanel or Dior bottle.

Right away, I caught the rose and jasmine. I truly did give me the impression of a bright moonlit meadow on a warm night in spring. This is a very gentle scent, but it developed a bit of a kick after a while, which must have been the spices. It was not an overwhelming spice, but a light one that lent a bit of weight to the light, white scent.

This made me feel relaxed and calm when I wore it before bed, which is always nice. Perfect for evening, because of the theme and the spice, and great for spring or summer wear.

Utterly beautiful. I've been wearing Nuit tonight, and have been totally captivated by the ethereal yet heady glow I've felt smelling it.

I don't often discuss chakra correspondences in my reviews, but my reaction to Nuit was so strong I can't really omit it in an honest review. I felt such a strong opening of my crown chakra tonight: I felt ever more dizzied and entranced with every whiff that came from myself as I sat opposite my boyfriend listening to him speak. I felt like a receptacle for love and belief and goodness and it was wonderful.

Nuit feels like diamonds and silk and purity and sparkle and light and total unity.

The description for this is so accurate. It's starry, jewel-clad, and glittering...in the vial, at least. When I first sniffed the imp, I almost swooned. It's floral, but the flowers are deepened by the incense, moss, and musk. It smells like a starry night sky should smell.

Unfortunately, on my skin, all I smell is jasmine.

I think I'll use this in my oil burner so I can enjoy this lovely scent without my skin's chemistry getting in the way. :P

at first: wonderful. a very sophisticated floral scent.

on: this belongs in one of those really expensive antique perfume bottles. it totally smells like a scent that would come out of one of those. it's floral and...just lovely.

1 hour later: a bit too sharp for me, but i'm hoping it mellows.

2 hours later: nice. almost watery, but that may have more to do with the humidity here than the perfume itself.

overall: if it weren't for the musks in this, i think it would have turned too soapy on me. however, after a while, the musks tamed it down. it's not a favorite, but it is very lovely.

nuit.jpg

Very jasmine, if you love that flower then Nuit is for you. To my nose it started out as The Very Jasmine Blend and stayed that way during the entire wearing. I can almost smell an apricot sort of scent coming through very faintly at times and the musk that everyone says is there is pretty much keeping itself in the distance.

The icon is the sky goddess Nuit, who stretches across the firmament with her long body and guards the Earth at night.