Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
viciousviolet

Maiden

A gentle vision of purity, goodness and virtue: white tea, carnation and Damask Rose.

Maiden comes to me as frimp from the labbies..thank you!!! :P

Initial sniff from frimp: Soft...carnation a bit more prevalent with the rose behind..a touch powdery..not soapy..with a bit of spice..coming from the carnation..the rose is definitely tea rose..white..at least that is the imagery that comes to mind.

Applied wet on skin: Still the carnation in the lead with the rose..still a touch of powder..no trace of "greenery" like in Rose Red..the florals here don't feel "freshly cut from the garden"..just a sweet and gentle floral.

Five minutes later: Now the florals have traded places..it's the touch sweet and powdery rose leading with the spicy but soft carnation behind..but now it's markedly subdued. The powder note doesn't overwhelm the fragrance..it plays a minor role..at least at this stage it does on my skin.

Thirty minutes later: It's more of a powdery rose..not overwhelmingly so though..still a soft and sweet floral.

Hour and a half later:Faint rose..sweet and powdery...

Drydown: Soft touch of sweet powder.

Lasting power on me was 2-3 hours tops and the throw was really soft.

Bottom Line:Maiden is a soft and gentle floral..very innocent in feel..perfect for a young girl..or when one to remember the innocence and sweetness of being one.

This one went out in swaps but I got another imp from GypsyRoseRed which I think is her hint to tell you all the review I'd been hiding. :P

Okeeey...

I originally thought Maiden was a "joke" because of the very strong impression I get from the imp which is...

soft florals and...a rubber. As in a condom. :D Whoah!

Less so in this new imp but still there. I imagine it's the carnation which can smell a bit rubbery if you take it right/wrong.

Wet: soft florals and umm...rubber.

Drying: stronger florals...still that rubber scent.

Dry: And here one assumes penetration. Now I get carnations, rose and tea but WOW!

Seriously, having never read the other reviews I was *positive* that this was an olfactory 'joke' -- a bit of a trick perfume, Maiden-head. And I did have to laugh my ass off when considering my impression against everyone else's virginal musings.

Hope I haven't spoiled the scent for anyone.

(Yes, I have a filthy mind. I'll go wash it now. In rose and carnation white tea apparently.)

Edited by SueDonym

To me this is oranges and lemons!

Maybe I have a mislabeled imp.

Oh well, it's like a cool, sweet summertime drink with lots of ice. So fresh!

In the vial:

a white, slightly sweet scent

On me:

It goes on very much as white tea at first. It's clean, but has a slight sweet quality to it that I find teas have on me. The carnation is floral and airy with a slight spice to it and it is just beautiful with the tea. Then the rose kicks in and instead of hating it, it actually ends up being rather toned down by the other notes. It's being kept in check so to speak. Instead of going all headachey and loud on me, it's being subdued behind the sweet softness of tea and carnations with a gentle spice.

Final note:

This is the second scent in a row I've reviewed with rose in it - which I normally dislike quite a lot - that I actually LIKE. The white tea just makes this scent beautiful, and whereas I'm not normally big on florals - somehow the sweetness and spice make them very appealing in this. It's innocent and playful and airy and not at all what I thought it would be! If you like Alice, try this.

part of me has always wanted to be able to wear the perfect rose scent. i'm not sure why as they all seem to turn to something pungent and deadly on me, but this has become some kind of sick self-torturing test to find the Holy Grail of a rose scent.

vial – very strong floral with spice

wet – a spicy rose immediately – the sharpness of the white tea seems to really bring out the punch of the carnation spice

dry down – more of the spice is coming through, but the rose is deepening as well to become very rich

four hours later – scent is still strong, but the continuing amping up of the notes has made it all very cloying, more so from the carnation note than the floral, which is really odd.

once again, i don’t think this is for me.

Random imp test evening! Seeing as I have about 13 things here to test, and I'm planning to place an order after payday next week, I might be on target to actually have nothing left to test by the time I place this order ... yay! Oh hang on, I have TALs to test too... I'll still have stuff.

In the imp, I get sweet white tea with rose. I'm not sure what carnation would do - I guess it could be adding to the kind of spicy sweet thing going on?

Wet on skin, it's spicy tea with a hint of rose. The tea just mellows everything together. I quite like this, actually! Then again, it has tea in it, and the rose isn't bashing me on the head or anything so that's a bonus (:

Once dry, the spiciness comes out a little more. I'm so glad I was frimped this, as it's not one I'd likely get to quickly given the notes described!

ETA: I have no grammar. Or something.

Edited by Girl Android

I feel very similarly to Girl Android about Maiden. It's spicy tea with rose on me, and so lovely that I'm not as sad as I could be that it leaked all over itself and the other things in my order. I was smelling my fingers all through Germanic Myths, Legends, and Sagas (Yggdrasil, Fenris-Wolf and the Norns have already been mentioned in this class and it's only the 2nd week... this can only mean good things are coming).

Anyway, Maiden:

Without the notes to hand, I was puzzled by what was making this light, fresh, beautiful scent so tangy -- I hypothesized ginger, but now I see it must've been the carnation. This blend is very sweet and almost has a fruity quality to the florals. A lot of florals give me headaches, but this blend is much kinder to me... it puts me at ease with a smile on my face.

Mm... thanks for the frimp, lab!

Wow! This is beautiful but so reminiscent of a perfume from my teenage years. After reading the thread, I know it strikes others that way too. Anyone remember?

Sorry if this is the wrong thread to post this question!

MAIDEN

In Bottle: Tea and rose

On Skin: This is a very straight forward scent. I get tea right away followed by a very sour and sharp rose. The rose almost has a lemony feel to it it is so sour. The carnation offers a spicy, sharp and bitter floral as well. After about 15 minutes, the carnation is the dominant note. This smells like a carnation right under my nose, very realistic. Sadly, I don’t like tea, rose or carnation notes so this scent doesn’t work on me in the slightest. It has a loight to medium throw and an average to long wearlength.

Somehow, Maiden ended up smelling like pure LOTUS in me.

Yes, lotus. Maybe lotus tea, if there is such a thing. But there is no denying the presence of this evil, bubblegummy floral. :P

*Sighs.* To swaps with ye!

I love this.

I can smell the rose and the tea, very soft.

This is a very calm, pure cool scent on me, one I will definitely get again. The feeling I get is that of dew in a cool, fresh morning.

In vial: Sweet white flowers and tea leaves.

Wet: Light tea and carnations. A touch of rose.

Drydown: the tea's staying nicely in the background, with the carnation and rose taking center stage. This is a very light scent, barely there. Very pretty; gentle is a good description for this scent.

This scent is very similar to CB I Hate Perfume's Black Tea accord: sweet, aromatic black tea scent, very delicate, that turns into carnation on drydown.

Rose and carnation, my two favorite smells! :P I love this one so much. I keep smelling it and thinking oooh carnation, then I smell it again and think oooh rose. I do smell the tea a little bit but it is really the other two that are the stars. I need a bottle of this and soon.

This reminds me of a gentler version of Lush's Potion Lotion. I love Potion Lotion and it was discontinued a few years ago. While this fragrance is softer and filled with wafts of roses, it does have that same soft spicy quality as Potion Lotion (due to the carnation).

Wet this is lots of pure fresh rose. But it's a light, delicate rose. Crisp tea notes lighten the rose and prevent the two heavy floral notes from being too heavy. The carnation only appears later on as it's drying down. That's when I like it best and I start wishing for Potion Lotion.

This becomes more powdery after a couple hours but still quite pretty. I'll have to purcahse a full size of this eventually.

Woah, that is one floral floral. It smells almost like a carnation single note on me. The rose is there but it's really subtle.

Unfortunately neither of those are my favorite notes, so this one isn't working for me. :P

This is a beautiful scent, but the smoky, smoky carnation is just a bit overpowering, and makes it not quite my style. I like the delicate rose, though, and the tea.

Gorgeous perfect white carnations tempered by a couple pink roses and the sweetness of tea. It's lovely and reminds me of my mom, who loves carnations, which is why I'm sending an imp to her!

One of the fresher florals I’ve sampled, this has so many familiar notes yet I am unable to identify them despite deep, slow inhalation! I think this is a keeper for me and really reacts well to the warmth of my body.

Wet: TEA TEA TEA. And some tea. Did I mention that there's tea in here? :P The white tea note, on my skin, is very bright and somewhat citrusy.

Drydown: The tea calms down, and the carnation comes out to play. Now I'm getting basically all carnation, and it's a very real, fresh carnation (much fresher than the carnation I got in Hod). The damask rose has not showed up, thank goodness. Rose and I usually don't get along.

This is nice. It's a very springy blend, and probably the nicest carnation scent I've tried from the Lab so far. I'd think about ordering a bottle if I didn't have a bottle of Pink Moon '07 on the way -- I'll have to try that first and see if it meets my carnation needs :D.

Throw is crazy strong in the tea stage, but much more subdued and closer to the skin in the drydown.

Carnation is the main note with a little rose behind it. I get a little white tea when its wet but its gone by the dry-down. Its a light scent on my skin (not a lot of throw) but it lasts quite a while. Maiden is the very first BPAL I tried last year and it remains one of my favourites. :P

Edited by TheIceMaiden

Very floral - with a breath of lightness (from the tea) and a spicy/wood note, which I think is a combination of carnation spice and woody rose.

This is nice, but a wee to, well, maidenish for my tastes. :P

In the bottle:

Exotic tea and spicy carnation.

Wet:

Utterly intoxicating. I can pick out the white tea, carnation and rose because I know it's there... but they blend together beautifully and I wouldn't have been able to separate them without the list. It's just one of those "good all over" scents, like Queen Mab. I can tell *right now* that this is gonna be a favorite - I just moved it to my "keep" box before it's even dried down.

Dry down:

Not quite as nice as wet, but I may have overapplied. Powdery, mildly exotic. Definitely zingy white tea, spicy carnation, and soft rose.

Final thoughts:

This is nice - different from what I was expecting, but I like it.