Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
viciousviolet

Maiden

From Love Potions

A gentle vision of purity, goodness and virtue: white tea, carnation and Damask Rose.

A gorgeous chorus of white flowers with just enough exotic tea leaf scent to add a little come-hither. I feel youthful, innocent and virtuous when I wear it without any little girl silliness. It is a sophisticated innocence, if there is such a thing.

You as well!!!! I got a major nostaligia trip wearing this. I just ordered a big bottle of it.

It's so feminine, but with definite sexy undercurrent. The kind of innocent sexy, like when you first start flirting with boys, rather than a womanly brash sexiness. This is gorgeous.

From Love Potions

mmm spicy rose when wet. Gentle and pretty but not too sweet. Carnation becoming more obvious as it dries. As it dries smelling more and more like herbal tea, I couldn't smell the tea when it was wet.When dry the smell of tea is very strong on me, not an unpleasant smell.. but not one I want to wear.

I generally don't like rose scents, but this one was an exception. I love carnation so the carnation in this really balances out the rose, so I can handle it. Actually, I love this one and will probably be buying it. I need to throw in a few of the lighter scents to balance out all of the smoky, woody ones I buy and this is one of the ones I will be buying. It would be a good spring scent. It is about as feminine as I will go with a floral. I generally only like florals with fruit, but as stated, the carnation made this spicy!! Another one that lives up to its name, Maiden.

I don't know if I like this enough to buy a bottle, but it's certainly very pretty. I smell the rose and tea, and it's a light fragrance. Perfect for daytime. I had to do a double or triple application when I wear it, as I discovered that the scent doesn't tend to last as long as I would like. The best word I can describe this perfume is "virginal". It reminds me of empire-waisted frocks and parasols. Girlish with sophistication.

Initial Impression:

Smells like tea and roses, which doesn't go over so well with me. The carnation note is very faint. I'll still give it a fair shot regardless.

After Wearing It:

Rosy, but sweeter than your average rose and with a slightly powdery/spicy note from the carnation. You can smell the tea here too. The fragrance stays true from its wet to dry stage. It's an innocent smell, very clean and gentle.

Final Thoughts:

Nice for what it is. I can't get on well with Rose scents, but this is probably the more pleasing of the ones I've tried so far.

Damask rose, with that mossy-ness I always smell under it, is a favorite. I'm not usually fond of carnations, but this is such a true carnation scent - dry, spicy, and beautifully interwoven with the rose.

The white tea doesn't come out on me until this has been on for a while, and it's an interesting counterpoint to the carnation. Suddenly, this becomes a bright, fresh, sparkling mossy rose with carnations, and it's absolutely stunning.

Initial Sniff: In the bottle, this is a very nice rose scent, spiced up by carnation. While I don't usually like rose scents very much, this one is intriguing. (I am all about some carnation, I tell you.)

Wearing: When wet, the carnation and rose are really balanced - I don't smell the tea at all. As it drys down, the carnation fades away and I am left with rose. It is a single perfect white rose surrounded by scads of greenery.

Final Impressions: I like this one - a nice change from what I ususally wear. Unfortunately, it fades quickly and I need to refresh every few hours.

Upon first sniff all I could smell was the rose, but it was a soft, sweet rose. The carnation started to peak out about 1/2 an hour later, then it became a sort of spicy rose. I put on some Lush Potion lotion and WOW! The carnation really comes out and it became a sweet spicy rosy-floral scent. I still can't smell the white tea, but maybe thats what is softening the carnation and rose. Overall I'm really loving this scent. its soft and girlish and floral, but not in an old lady way. very impressed. :P

I like this one - it's a very demure, girly scent - I feel like I should be wearing a white, frilly dress. The carnation adds a bit of spice to keep it interesting. On me, the white tea didn't come out at all... but the rose and carnation blended beautifully to create a very feminine, pretty scent. I don't think I'll be ordering a bigger bottle, but I do enjoy it!

I realize I am completely incapable of sussing out the individual scents the way others here are, so I apologize in advance on this, my first review, for how totally unevocative it is ... at least compared to the remarkable posts on this board.

On me, the scent was almost 100 percent carnation, almost as if it were a single note. I couldn't smell the tea or the rose at all ... I'm not saying this is a bad thing, since I quite like carnation, but am not sure I'd wear it solo as a perfume. I think I may try to figure out how to put it into some bath oil because I would LOVE it like that ... (I will have to go search other threads, because IIRC there are some that discuss ways of using the scents in other fashions, right???)

I know one other person mentioned this, but I have to say that if you are a Lush POTION fan, this scent is absolutely for you! They would totally compliment each other.

I love this softly spicy combination of carnation and rose. It's feminine, but it's not powdery the way some carnation scents can be. The carnation and rose are both noticeable to my nose, with the carnation being slightly dominant. I love the smell of dianthus in my garden, and the carnation in this oil reminds me of the flowers. Although this is a soft scnt, it lasts a long time for me.

OK, this is my first ever BPAL that I have tried on in my order of imp's ears. My first impression was, it smells just like those round containers of Coty loose powder. Am I the only one to detect that? I haven't owned that powder since I was little, so the fragrance in the powder may have changed. But to my memory, it smells just like it. :P

Maiden. Okay, I'm trying to be a little organized in "scent tasting."

Initial: Spicy floral. Cant pick out carnation but it must be there since I do smell a spiciness. Like a grown up frilly floral. Not a wimpy frilly. Something is kind of smelling stale or maybe that's powdery.

During: Floral and powdery. I smell carnation but it's muted with the powder I seem to smell. Its disturbing that one of my wrists smells different than the other.

Final: Powdery. It catches in my throat and its a little too sweet for me. I have looked at the description now and I noticed that I never detected the tea, which is disappointing. The scent also faded quite quickly on me. This will be a swap away.

I just put on Maiden, and oooh! spicy spicy! THE most innocent spicy I have ever smelt. It is so delightfully carnation-y on me, I really love it, I hope it doesn't fade away into pure rosiness. Have to put some on my clothes instead of skin. I think this is so well blended, I can't really smell the rose or the tea but it doesn't smell like pure carnation either, it's sweeter. It's not powdery on me at all which I love.

Ok, as it is drying down the rose is coming out a bit more on my skin, and it really is lovely. I do like the softness of it, or greenness -- must be the "mossiness" of damask rose that someone else referred to.

Wow, this is beautiful! Not sure if I'm dying for a bottle but it really is an amazing, gorgeous scent.

I received Maiden as a gift with the Ophelia I ordered for a friend.

"Suddenly, this becomes a bright, fresh, sparkling mossy rose with carnations, and it's absolutely stunning."

I have not so flattering associations with the word "Maiden" -- I tend to think "insipid" or "prissy." But this is not by any means insipid, and I don't find it prissy or demure, either - it's very warmly feminine, frankly beautiful - just not overtly sexual.

I think it would be perfect to wear on your wedding day. Or any day that you're wearing a beautiful dress.

I love carnations, especially white ones - so very full and unabashedly frilly, with their ruffly, scalloped petals and their amazing, enduring scent, and this blend makes a bouquet that sets off the carnations to perfection - the tea and the roses keep the carnation from being too clovey to wear. This is just brilliant, and it makes me stupid happy.

One caveat - be sure to wash your hands after you put it on. I put mine on and then in a minute rubbed my eyes. owwwie, burned my eyelids some :D (probably true of most of the oils)

It's not burning at all on my wrists tho. Feels and smells great on, and this one stays true on me from wet to dry down.

Definitely going for the big bottle. I think it would be good in any season, and for any time I need a pick me up.

If Potion smells anything like this, LUSH has lost their minds to discontinue it, that's all I can say. :P

Oh, I'm so excited! I've been waiting to post my review of Maiden until I figured out what smelled so familiar, and now i've got it!

Maiden is the smell of having a buttercup pressed to your chin to see if you like butter. I swear that is the exact smell. I went outside and found the dandelion buttercup, and pressed it to my chin, just to make sure.

Guess what? Not only do I like butter, but I like Maiden. It is a lovely, springy, sproingly, bouncy, pure, beautiful scent that just encompasses a spring morning. I never liked flowery smells until BPAL, but these oils smell like the actual flowers themselves, or in this case, the flowery lightly dusting your chin as you expectantly wait to see whether or not you do, in fact, like butter. There is a certain reticence and anxious feeling to Maiden, like it will gallop off at the slightest provocation, a frisky colt chasing butterflies. Another keeper.

This is the last oil I get to review until I receive my new set of Imp's Ears :P.

Maiden wasn't one that I ordered; it was an extra generously sent by Beth. It's wonderful! Although it's not listed, when I initially put it on, I definitely got a heavy whiff of clove. It dried down on me to the white tea (which was great). I just wish that it lasted a bit longer is all. I'll admit that I was afraid to try it thinking that it would be "elderly" smelling but it's wonderful!

I too smelled clove which is why I (unfortunately) didn't like this one. I loved everything but the "clove" note (which I assume is actually the carnation?) in this....if it hadn't been there it would have been that perfect spring scent I was looking for. So sad for me. But happy for those who don't mind the smell of clove...aka carnation.

First Impression: Oh, white tea straight away, just like the white tea & something or other handwashing foam in Lisa's bathroom.

Second Impression: The lovely florals start to develop after the initial hit of tea starts to soften.

Final Analysis: I like this one, very fresh and clean.

White tea and some spice which is probably carnation but also seems to have a fresh orange scent. Softens and combines with powdery rose. A clean soft scent, and is a favorite.

First Smell: Hmm, I wasn't too sure that this one was going to be for me. It reminded me of an herb shop, a bit too green and medicinal for me to begin with.

On: Beth has done it again! I *love* Maiden. . . .I feel sweet and very innocent in a coy, flirtatious kind of manner. The rose and carnation blend beautifully into a very light spring fragrance.

I feel like Scarlett O'Hara at the Twelve Oaks Barbecue. . .hiding demurely behind my fan, but still flirting with all of the boys. :D

Maiden I'm definitely going to order a big bottle of :P

On me, Maiden was all rose. A really beautiful, soft rose. So nice.

Maiden is like a warm, floral flush - the warmth of the carnation is like my cheeks feel when I blush - not fiery but pink and pretty. The phrase 'blushing bride' comes to mind!

After the warmth of the carnation the rose gives a gentle, lightly round and ringing 'ping' and the scent floats happy and light.

I like Maiden because I think its pinkness and lightness suits me more than sophisticated white florals do.

I wore it the other day with my long fushia pink sarong and bright green t-shirt and felt like a fairy warrior!!

-fallow deer