Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
viciousviolet

Maiden

A gentle vision of purity, goodness and virtue: white tea, carnation and Damask Rose.

I can appreciate the subtle beauty of Maiden, but I think this one is just to Yin for me...my system seems to crave the balance of Yang scents. I mean, I have to put my nose right next to my skin to detect it. I LOVE what I'm getting, but I'm just not getting enough, if that makes sense.

The rose combined with the carnation is soapy in a nice way...the tea leaf is definitely there, and to me it's almost lemony.

This will smell exquisite on someone who's chemistry loves quiet scents. I'm going to use some of this in my oil burner and see how it does.

Velvet Edited by Shollin

In the vial: I get baby pink and cream colored long stemmed roses. The stems, leaves and all. And something slightly aquatic underneath.

This smells like a florists shop. It is *divine*!

On skin: I don't detect all that much change. The morphing is slight, which suits me fine because the scent is just heavenly as it is.

Maiden is the perfect name for the blend, because it is gentle and innocent. It brings to mind a pre-raphaelite painting. Perhaps something from Dante Gabriel Rossetti? Or the painting of Lady of Shalott sitting in the boat with her hair falling down around her.

Drydown: Tea! I get tea! Oh happy, happy day!

Definately Twinings "Lady Grey".

The funny thing is, I couldn't get to the computer earlier when trying on the scents, and I'm amazed to find that my nose is right for once. There IS tea in this perfume!

I love tea so it's all good.

This must be love! I need, really physically need a big huge bottle of this!

*swoon*

-Milk

FIRST SNIFF: white tea and carnation

WEARING IT: what a subtle, non-threatening scent! it's peaceful and radiant! the white tea and carnations take over and make this so beautiful and girly. maiden is a flowing, white gown turning in the wind of a summer storm.

FINAL VERDICT: peaceful and delicate. a perfect scent :P

*tries hand at this "reviewing" malarky*

Ok. Maiden is one of those scents that can smell lots of different ways to me depending on my state of mind. After reading the reviews, I expected it to smell girly and innocent, and if I think of it that way, I can smell a very non-threatening (i.e., boring) floral perfume, especially right out of the bottle.

Wet on my skin, carnation stems and leaves pop out, giving it a very natural, green scent.

However . . . once it's settled on my skin, it quickly becomes a really appealing dry, warm floral. Lush's Potion has given me a new appreciation for carnation -- I used to regard it as a cheap grocery store flower, but I've grown to love it for it's dry, spicy fragrance. That's what comes through in Maiden for me -- that slightly spicy carnation scent. Carnation with a bit of depth -- but not too much. Maiden is definitely not a deep, overwhelming floral. Rather, it's light, dry, and very wearable.

My only complaint is that it seems to fade awfully fast -- perhaps I'll experiment with applying more next time.

All in all, I really like Maiden and foresee wearing it regularly. A very pleasant surprise for someone who doesn't think of herself as an "innocent floral" type of gal!

I haven't ever been a Maiden in physicallity, and haven't been a Maiden in concept for some few years, so we'll see how this goes :P

This smells like I would imagine a bower would smell in a mideival castle. Or a women's solarium, with the needlepoint stands and quilting frames all about. Glorious colors bursting in sunlight before they fade away.

White tea, I don't get at all. Rose and carnation do mix incredibly together, however. Wet, it's very warm and comforting. As it dries, it goes somewhat dusty. Not powdery, dusty. Like the bower has been abandoned, the threads and fabric rotted, colors all faded away. Maybe it's a statement on the fleeting nature of youth? Hm.

This is a nice, light feminine scent despite how strong it seems out of the imp. Sadly, not for me. Maybe one of my girls will like it, tho. If not, swap city for this little girl.

Very innocent at first, indeed. Even a bit, well, plain. Guess I am not too good with innocent scents :P

Once it dries down, things get more interesting. Much more fragrant and spicy, thanks to the carnation coming through.

However, I am not the biggest fan of carnation and I am afraid Maiden is a bit too light and girly-pretty for me. I tend to favour more colourful and complex scents. I guess this will be a swap, but I am glad I tried it :D

Edited by Ishtar

I am so sad that I didn't get any rose. For me Maiden was all white tea and carnation, but mostly carnation. It was soft, gentle and demure at first. Somehow I was not prepared for how *white* this would be. After dry down it got a little drier and spicier, not in an incensy or spices way, but rather like Queen Anne's lace.

at first: beth included this as an extra and it is clean and gorgeous. a little spicy from the carnation, which is softened by the rose and made lighter by the white tea. just too beautiful.

on: hmmm...it's kind of hard to pick anything out. this is definitely a "gentle" scent. i can just grab a whiff of the rose, but that's about all.

2 hours later: this is gone. completely gone. i can't believe it. i'm going to slather a bunch on to see if that helps.

3 hours later: after dousing myself with some more, i'm getting more of the carnation and something that just smells really "clean" to me, which i'm assuming is the white tea. they both blend beautifully with the dustiness of the rose. i really hope this sticks around.

4 hours later: this is much warmer now. the rose and carnation seem to be one scent. it's lovely.

5 hours later: this is still a gentle scent, but it hasn't disappeared. i really like it. it's very simply and pure, but very beautiful.

overall: well, i'm glad i have a big bottle of this, since i have to positively slather it on in order for it to last. however, it's definitely worth having to use that much because it's so beautiful.

Wasn't sure I was going to like this one. The rose of very pronounced at first, and I'm not a fan of rose on me. However, when this dried down...the carnation along with the tea comes up and smell so lovely. I'm buying a big bottle of this!

I hate white florals. I was afraid with the white tea i wouldnt like this. Thankfully i can barely smell it.

Wet: This is a lovely soft pink scent. NO spice just soft pink rose with a slight kick.

Drydown: Carnation is coming through with a bang. This is mostly all i am getting. NO more rose and no white tea. I would have liked it more with a bit of rose in it but im still adoring this scent because i ADORE carnations. This is a very spicy and powdery carnation. I really liek this a lot and would defiantely consider a big bottle, but will mostl likely wait until spring. :D

:P

The first time I tried this, it went completely baby powder on me, but I figured that might be the time of the month, so I tried it again.

In the bottle: pure rose

Wet: Rose with a spicy kick. I'm not experienced enough at this yet to pick out new (to me) notes - is that the carnation? Whatever it is, I love it.

Drydown: More spicy, less rose, slightly powdery. Still like it.

Later: It did get more powdery, but not like baby power, like before. I really like this one!

This was included as a generous extra in an order, thank you! I probably wouldn't have tried this since roses don't seem to work well on me, but this is gorgeous. It's a pink and green scent, the green seems to quieten the rose enough to let the spiciness of the carnation come out. I really love how this smells, I wish it were longer lasting but it's so beautiful I don't mind carrying it around to top off.

This one I loved immediately. I get carnations, but very faint. Pale. Tea. Gingery and roses of course.

This is very sophisticated, understated and classy, and I'm sure I could never get a scent like this at a regular perfumerie. I'm sorry the scent does not linger longer, only a few hours. As said, this resembles Potion from Lush, which I loved as well. I feel like myself, but moreso when I wear Maiden.

In the Bottle: There is a sharpness to this one, a brilliant white scent from the rose, but mellowed out by the sweetness of the carnation and tea. Its a bright white, folled by the softest blush of youth.

On Me: Wow, what a blend. I thought that the rose was going to dominate this one, but in fact, it is the tea that seems to be at the forefront. There is a slight spiciness here, mellowed by the carnation and the rose. This truely is a wonderful scent.

I catch sight of a young girl, trying on clothes from an old trunk in the attic, a large hat perched precariously on her head and a lace parosal twirling lightly in her gloved hands. Her borrowed shoes far too big for her small feet, clunking down the stairs, the dress hiked up high in her hands so that she doesn't trip. An old fur stole is across her arms, the netting of the hat pulled over her face. She twists this way and that in front of her mother's mirror before trying on her makeup and purfume.

Then she goes back to her own room to start the tea party with Mr. Fluffykins the bear and Hop-A-Long Sally the bunny. Perhaps she'll invite old Mrs. Rainbow Brite along too, if she remembers to keep her elbows off of the table.

Ooh. This is simple but beautiful. The carnation jumped out first, followed by a delicate rose. If I sniff closely, I think I can smell the tea underneath. This is girly, but not juvenile.

Maiden is definitely one of my favourites. My nose doesn't pick up the tea so much, but the strong carnation delicately backed by the rose is blissful. And although there isn't much throw to it, I can smell it all day which makes me happy. And it lasts a good 12 hours on my skin.

Strangely, I didn't really think a lot of Maiden when I got it in September (which was sticky and humid), but now it's a bit colder, I love it. Definitely a bigger bottle for spring.

This is like Alice without the sugar -- I like it! The rose is a bit stronger in Maiden. I think it will be fabulous layered with Dana O'shee or Bliss. :P This is a must for Alice fans who want a change from the sweetness.

The carnation scent really stands out to me in this one- it reminds me of the feeling of rubbing your face in a freshly-cut, still-dewy carnation bloom! (What, you've never done that?) The tea scent gives a lovely balance- like a bright, crisp morning where you've gotten just enough sleep and wake up before the alarm clock. :P Very nice, but not for people who don't like florals.

-Rae

Soft and innocent, but with a slightly bitter edge. This is not at all sweet as rose and carnation can sometimes be. It's light, but not frilly; a little playful yet a bit somber as well. Dreamy.

Edited by Ariella

I had a fabulous night last night and I'll have to say that Maiden had a lot to do with it. Memories of getting flowers on Valentines Day in high school is what I remember and my hubby was my secret admirer. Funny thing is he just owned up to it! Eleven years and I just found out. He brought me a carnation and a rose today. I love memories.

i agree with Tart.. its like alice.. but it's alice's older sister... 16 year old sister i'd guess... very innocent but bursting with life... very pretty on.. i got a hint of alice with some beautiful floral and spice.. i'm definetly buying a big bottle of this!!!

Hmmm.... order a bottle now, or wait until my latest haul of imps comes in to see if Maiden will have a bottle buddy....

Hmmm...

This is very much like Lush Potion (or what I remember that smelling like), and I loved Potion. This scent is creamy and spicy and clean - pure without being childish. I cannot get enough of it - it makes me feel so calm and pretty. I've been slathering it on me before bed, and sniff my wrists as I drift off to sleep. Ahhhhh.....

I may have to get a 10ml, as I want to swim in this.

Just lovely.

Oh my goodness, I love this. In the bottle it smells like carnations and roses - my two favourite flowers. On, the carnation is still there but the roses dominate. Although I love the scent of roses, my skin doesn't usually get on well with them. This, however, is heavenly. Unfortunately, it only lasts an hour or two on my skin but I like it so much I'll probably be buying a 5ml, if not a 10ml.

Wow, this is fabulous. In the bottle and wet on my skin- lots of carnation and a dusty rose. This is such a pale pink scent- delicate and beautiful.

Wearing- I'm smelling something similar to what I get on the drydown of Seraglio- perhaps they share a common rose note. I've no idea what it is, but it sort of reminds me of almond cookies. :D

In any case, the rose deepens and blooms, and then...wow...I'm surrounded by carnations. This is lovely. Oooh, I just want to keep smelling myself. The sweet, peppery scent of carnation. Fabulous. Can't say that enough. This scent is just perfection for me. Maiden has shot way up to the top of my big bottle want list.

I had to slather this to get lots of scent- all the more reason to get the biiiiiig bottle. :P