Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Silvertree

Shub-Niggurath

The lust incense of a corrupted Astarte. A blend of ritual herbs and dark resins, shot through with three gingers and aphrodisiacal spices.

This was a frimp from the lab :wub2: Thanks, because I have wanted to try this one for ages!

Most blends with ginger turn really sharp on me, but I think that this is finally a ginger blend that works on me. It smells, like warm spicy gingerbread on me. It's definitely a foody, baked kind of ginger. I think that there are some spices in here because every now and then I get wafts of cinnamon or mixed spice. I am very happy to have an imp of this one :)

On me, Shub-Niggurath is not "gingerbread" at all, it is fresh cut ginger root - sharp and strong. There is nothing about this that says baked goods to my nose. After a bit, the ginger backs off a bit and I smell something lemony/lime, creamy-resiny, and herbal on top of the ginger. What a wonderful blend. It is definitely reminiscent of Voodoo, it has a similar lime cola vibe except it's sweeter and there's no smoky tang from the vetiver.

This is delicious, but not overly foody. Fresh, enticing, and unique. It makes me want to snuggle in with my arm and just...smell it. :lol:

Edited by OctoberGwen

Pale yellow, tested blind.

In Vitro Boozy? Spicy?

Wet Strong boozy/spicy with a pungent undertone. I was down to a few imps when I tested this and I knew Shub was one of them, so I guessed that that pungent note was ginger. A few minutes on the suggestion of booze went away and the scent was a mix of sweet resin/spice base and fresh, almost bitter (presumed) ginger - a nice contrast.

Drying Ten minutes along this was complex, warm, and spicy, and even had a bit of throw. Very nice. Unfortunately the ginger mostly disappeared after another ten minutes leaving strong Xmas spices, but it was still pretty good. And then, at one hour and twenty minutes after application, the dreaded plastic note raised its misshapen head. I stopped sniffing my wrist for a while and much later noted that the plastic had finally gone, leaving faint sweetness that lasted almost eight hours.

On my skin Shub-Niggurath is indeed "corrupted", but not in a good way. I can only hope that entombing this imp in a dark drawer for a year or three will diminish the guilty component.

In the Imp: Sweet, gingery, and surprisingly foody.

Wet: Veery gingery, and quite sweet and bakery smelling. It's like smelling gingerbread men.

Drydown: This is very spicy, very gingery. And quite dark smelling too. It's still sweet and a little foody. I'm not really sure whether I like it or not. It smells nice enough, but my nose kinda shies away from smelling ginger for some reason. I don't want to smell it, but at the same time, I can't help it.

Verdict: It's nice, and I'll probably keep the imp, but no bottle for me.

3/5

Sweet, warm, foody ginger.

There's definitely a sharpness to it as well, but overall it's like gingery baked goods. Really delicious!

It has respectable lasting power, too. Just a bit from the imp and I'm still smelling it a few hours later.

Holy cats, this smells just like my grandma's molasses cookies. Like, this is the exact same smell that lingers all year long in the tins they're kept in, even though she only makes them at Christmas. The incredibly thick, spicy, dark-and-heady smell that is about my favorite thing in the whole world...yeah, I love this.

In the imp: evil gingersnaps is a good description for these. There's definitely something that gives it that dark, dense quality that a molasses-y, spicy, ginger-loaded cookie would have, and it's amazing. There's also a deep, resinous scent; this might be what mimics the molasses quality. I don't get the citrus-y scent that some have mentioned, nor can I identify the herbal notes, but it's delightful just as it is.

On my skin: oh, yes. Evil, delicious, wicked molasses cookies, with some dark resin behind it. I love it. It gets a little more gingery, perhaps a trace more of fresh ginger than it was in the bottle, and it's warm and clings to my skin for a decent length of time. I like that; this is a scent I want to last.

First of all, i've never ever in my life eaten gingerbread or gingerbread cookies, so i had no expectations.

However, i did get a frimp of Shub in January 2012, but it didn't impress me much, so i gave it away.

Having scored a full bottle of it, I put some on and it blooms into a spicy bready creature. I can't describe it, but it smells very delicious and evokes fall.

Spicy, citrus, with a strange musky synthetic bottom note.

Spiced Oatmeal and Lemon Ginger snap cookies and.... play dough?

Lemon fades rather quickly as spices mellow and develop a soothing milky essence.

The "play dough" eventually evolves into a waxy musk. Then Shift to a combination of haunting "Green" Wood and "Brown" patchouli.

I want to like it but pretty sure its my body chemistry that ruins it.

I don't hate it but will prolly never be able to wear it :(

This was a frimp from the Lab.

In the imp: Delicious spicy gingerbread. It’s not as dry as Gingerbread Snake was when it was new, though I sniffed my bottle for a comparison, and Gingerbread Snake has mellowed.

Wet: For a few minutes, I get gingerbread spices plus wood, as if the spices were being stored in an aromatic wooden box. Is there patchouli in this? It may simply be my skin chemistry, which amps all wood notes, sometimes to a crazy degree.

Dry: Back to delicious spicy gingerbread. This is making me want to bake, and it’s July and about 80 degrees.

After a couple of hours, the incense appears and mingles with the ginger and other spices.

After wearing this all day, I was ravenous by dinnertime. :)

I’ve wanted to try Shub for a while, so thank you, Lab! It’s delicious, and works better on me than any of the other Picnic in Arkham blends I’ve tried. I look forward to wearing it in cooler weather, too.

I was frimped this today, and it's one of the best things in my whole order! I would never have ordered it from the description but goddamn, it's amazing :D

To me, it smells exactly like 3 Witches - admittedly my memory of that is hazy since it was so long ago, but yup...lots in common. Ginger isn't something I really go for (unless it's gingerBREAD) - I didn't get on with Count Dracula as the ginger was too raw and tickly, but this ginger...on me is really more like dry cinnamon with added pepperiness, just like 3 Witches was. Very warm, and dry, and beautiful.

I may well need a bottle ;)

Imp: spicy gingerbread! This is usually a problem for me, foodie scents are bad for me, but I'm hoping the spices and resins will help me here.

Wet: spicier gingerbread! I’m pushing the resins and spices over the ginger here. It’s bright and warm and yummy! I’m picking it apart easier now as it dries - there’s fresh ginger there as well as something sweet and similar to molasses. The spices are like pumpkin pie spice or allspice - an indistinguishable mix. There could be cinnamon in there? It’s all so deliciously dark, too. I can’t stop sniffing my wrists!

Dry: Delicious spicy gingerbread. It hasn’t morphed much, it pushed the spices harder at the start but it’s softened now. It’s also got giant throw on me. As in my boss just walked past my desk and asked if I was eating cake and if he could have some.

I really like this. I don't know how often I'd wear it, because it's a bit obvious and foodie for my tastes. Also it almost provoked the "Miskatonic U" response in the boy (not in a good way, he refused to come near me until I'd showered :wacko2:) so it's not likely to get heaps of regular wear, but I'm going to keep and replenish the imp for when I want to be delicious.

I'm not a fan. Maybe I was spoiled by getting to try Gingerbread Snake, which is sweet/spicy/sexy gingerbread, but this just seems kind of off to me. I smell incense, and a kind of thin reedy gingerbread scent with a touch of lemon in it. There's something unpleasant underneath it. It turned my stomach a bit when I first tried it, and every re-test since then does the same. Most of the Arkham scents I've tried have had a weird unsettling undertone that make them unwearable for me, and this one is no different. I'm jealous of all the people who get delicious gingerbread out of this, but I'll stick to hoarding Gingerbread Snake.

how did i never review this? i know tried it once...anyway, i got an imp to try again because i couldn't remember. ok, yes it's pretty foody to begin with but not the foodiest ever. pretty autumnal and halloween type scent. it's a bit nicer when it becomes a bit less foody but still overall it's too foody for my tastes.

Wet/Imp: Strongly of....brown butter. Some kind of toasted butteriness. Like popcorn, but sweeter. Very foody to me right off the bat.

Drying: Descriptions of ginger snaps I think are accurate, but these gingersnaps are more buttery, decandent. Reminds me of these super thin flower-shaped ginger cookies I can't think of the name of right now. I could also see pumpkiny spiced chai in here. Now I think on it actually strongly reminds me of oregon chai taste, as well. I really like the scent, and as with so many I want it for a candle. Can't decide if I would wear it...probably? Maybe? It smells damn delicious.

it smells a bit too maple syrup-y for my liking. and a bit like a cinnamon candle. I am ridiculously picky with anything having to do with cinnamon, so keep that in mind. I just think this one is overrated.

if you are like me and are a cinnamon hater but desire a nice cinnamon scent, try Playful Wooden Mallets.

Edited by ModderRhu

In the imp: Ginger and resins (but mostly ginger)! I like to think of it as evil gingerbread.

Wet: Ginger dominant, along with cinnamon, a hint of something citrus (I think it is the herbs?) and the resins. The herbs become sharper and stronger over time, but it remains ginger and spice dominant.

Dry: Mostly ginger and spices (along with a few herbs).

Verdict: I prefer this scent in candle form (as the candle scent is creamier than the perfume oil), but this is a nice gingerbread-like scent.

Gingerbread right off the bat.... and I"m thinking I can't possibly wear this as a perfume.

After about 15 minutes a musky base comes out.

After about 30 minutes it becomes sharper, less sweet, with a resinous, herbal quality.

At this point it is darker and the gingerbread is more in the background. It is more wearable.

Edit: as it dries down I like it more and more. the buttery baking aspect lessens and the ritual herbs and spices come out more. Still not sure I like it as much as some other BPALs. It could be a good cheerer-upper in the winter so I will hold on to the imp.

Edited by Myrrha

in imp: gingersnap cookies

wet: gingersnap cookies, with "something" in the background- not there enough to figure out what it is, but there enough to make me want to resniff every 10 seconds to try and find it again.

dry: I think what is in the background is nutmeg, and now I have delicious nutmeg-y gingersnap cookies wafting from my arm. yummy. It also has a decent throw.

I['m not usually one for foody scents, but I don't know that this one will be going anywhere soon. I may use it in a diffuser instead. Yay!

Edited by Anita

Got this in a swap, and so excited to finally try it!

Wet: Spicy. Lots of ginger. A little bit sharp and bitter. Peppery.

Dry: The ritual herbs, whatever they are, are very strong in this. It reminds me strongly of some of the TALS that I've tried. This isn't foodie or perfumey to me. It's not feminine in any way, or pretty. It's strong, and it's dark, and it's powerful. I don't dislike it, but I don't want to wear it either. Not what I had expected, or hoped for.

Wet - Peanut butter. wtf?

Drying - Ooh, this smells like Voodoo without the pine or almond. Uh oh...here comes the myrrh. It turned into all myrrh all the time.

Verdict - I guess I amp myrrh. Bla!

Wet: Wow! This really does smell like gingerbread! It’s not too foodie though, there’s something dark and smoky grounding it.

Drydown: I’m amazed at how well this straddles the line between foodie and not foodie. I smell delicious but not too sweet, and certainly not simple. Gingerbread is the overall theme, but there’s a lot more going on in the background. About halfway through the drydown the clove amps and suddenly I am in clove heaven. This is no ordinary clove.; This is the clove of ecstasy; The clove foreseen by prophecy. This is hip-hop worthy clove. Allow me to wax poetic:

An Ode to Clove

I like big clove and I cannot lie

You other BPALers can’t deny

When a spice walks in first so shy and thin

Then a BIG CLOVE hits your nose

You get sprung!

Wanna get a bottle

Cuz you notice that clove’s full throttle

Deep in the ginger it was camping

And now it’s out and amping

Oh Subb-y, I wanna get with ya

And instagram your picture

The forum tried to warn me

That your ginger spice would make me so horny

Ooh Shubb-Niggurath

You say you got evil gingerbread?

Well morph on me, morph on me, I ain’t your average groupie

I saw your ginger spice

Thought it was so nice

But your clove, it grows, makin me wanna propose

Tired of commercial perfumes

Saying florientals are the thing

Take the average BPALista and ask her that

She’ll say that BPAL’s where it’s at

So Forumites (yeah) Forumites (yeah)

Has your perfume got some spice (hell yeah)

Well slather it, slather it, slather that great big clove

Shubby’s got spice

Edited by BoneBone24

This turned out nicer than I expected! In the imp I just got gingerbread. On wet it was more of a fresh ginger, with a citrus-like brightness behind it. As it dried the spicy cinnamon and clove-y goodness came out. Overall this is really nice, very zesty and warm. Probably not a bottle purchase for me.

ETA: I have grown to adore this scent, especially in the colder months.

Edited by roseus

In the imp: exactly like a Sugar Cookies room fragrance oil I have. Super sweet, foody and slightly spicy.

Wet: more like gingerbread and slightly doughy.

Dry: I'm not a fan of foody scents, but this is just spicy enough to work and the dough type note is pretty background. I love the ginger, I can't pick out anything resinous but I'd guess that's what's adding the depth.

In the Imp: Peanut Butter. Why does my nose make peanut butter so much?

Dry: mmmm it reminds me of fall/christmas time. Definitely smells like spice cookies. I'll be putting this on my list of bottles to buy and wearing it during fall :)