Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Brumbjorn

Naked Singularity

Here goes my first attempt at writing a review. I'm not good at picking out what certain "notes" are, so bear with me.

I recieved the bottle as a birthday gift and needless to say, was a bit shocked when I saw what it was.

When I opened the bottle, I got clean, almost astringent type smell to it. Popped my sleepy eyes open! There was a slight floral under current to it as well. (It decants a pale brown) I wasn't too sure about this but I gave it a try.

Wet, it the floral tone came out right away, but it was mixed with _something_ I don't know what. It was very strong (or I put on too much) so I had to drive with my hand out the window for a minute or two. As it dried, it became MUCH less medicinal and very pretty scented. The floral came and went and that other note came out. It dryed sown to a soft, woodsy, incensey smell that is really familiar. Myrrh? Sandalwood? I can't put my finger on it, but I lurve it! Very relaxing too.

Wish I could give more specific notes on it. It is definatley on my keeper list!

First of all, thank you so much to Brumbjorn, for letting me sniff this one.

In the Bottle: Definately a clean smell, definately an eye-opener. It's hard for me to identify anything particular right out of the bottle, but my first impressions are that it's a rather masculine scent. It's crisp, and reminds me very much of a classic cologne.

Wet on Skin: Slightly astringent and very woodsy. Clean, with a little bit of something underneath it that smells slightly sweet to my nose.

Drying: This fades a bit on my skin, and smells nothing like I expected. It's light musk, with a sort of spicy wood smell. It doesn't smell piney, nor does it smell like sandalwood to me, but beyond that it's hard to say what sort of wood note this is.

Dry on Skin: Though I slathered this on, it's faded quite a bit on me, into a sort of warm, spicy second-skin scent. You know when you'll pull on a guy's shirt, and when you take it off later, you've got a hint of his cologne surrounding you: light and spicy, and it makes you feel incredibly sexy? That's Naked Singularity.

So once again, thank you, Brumbjorn, for letting me sniff and review this. I doubt I would ever have bought it on my own, for anything other than the awesome name, and I really love it.

In the bottle

Sharp, citrus, green

On

Definitely astringent as mentioned above. Piercingly spicey, green, woody, citrus.

I think there's some Myrrh in here.

There's chocolate or cocoa or some foody note in here that is all but non existent.

The top note is something fruity/green.

There's an underlying woody middle note that I can't place.

I think it would be great and all of these layers are really different and nice...were it not one lone sweet vinegary note.

Now it's morphing and there is a predominant sweet white floral note with a greenish woody middle and bottom.

30 minutes

More powdery at this point which is fortunate.

I'd consider this a "male" scent, but that's me.

Throw:

More than average

Scent category:

Fruity/Green/Floral/Spicey/Woody :P

Summary

Starts out fruity, green, spicey.

Morphs into a sweet vinegary mix (not my favorite stage).

Ends in a sharp floral with woody undertones

Purchase again?

Maybe

1-5 rating (5 being best).

Edited by UltraViolet

Naked Singularity

Upon first appliation: Nutty musk! With some sort of sweet wood, too.

After a few minutes: There's something ever so slightly funky that's throwing me off a bit. I think it's the same ingredient that Silk Road has that made it smell like a dill pickle on me - maybe ginger or bay or something like that. Or something slightly olivey. It's a hard note to describe.

A few minutes after that: Thankfully the dill pickleness goes away pretty quickly. And it goes back to a nutty musk! Whee!

It doesn't seem to last very long on me, but maybe it's because I applied it very sparingly...

I hope we'll see this around sometime soon!

First sniff: In the vial, it’s… not particularly promising. There’s a hint of cinnamon underneath something dark that my nose really doesn’t like.

Wearing: Oh, this is better. It’s gone all nutty. Maybe even hazelnut, with still a dash of cinnamon underneath.

naked singularity

at first: this smells a bit nutty and a bit woodsy to me. not something i'd usually like.

on: definitely nutty and musky. interesting. i'm so glad the wood scent i got at first went away.

2 hours later: this is soooo nutty. it's really incredible.

3 hours later: still mostly nutty, but with the lightest hint of musk to it.

overall: i don't know if i'd get this if it were offered on the bpal site, but i'm definitely glad i got to try it.

Naked Singularity

Thanks to Andromedii I finally get to sample this rarity!

In the imp: a deep, resinous, incensy musk. Reminds me of exotic perfume from a Middle Eastern bazaar, it's lovely!

Wet on skin: I think there's frankincense in this, it's got that wonderful clear resin smell to it. There may also be some herbs too? Maybe thyme or sage? And possibly musk.

Dry on skin: mmm this is gorgeous. It reminds me a bit of Corazon without the mango and amber so I'm thinking there may be sage or lavender, or something herbal in this, as well as musk-maybe a dark musk? It's not animalistic but it is rich and deep, but not obvious. It's also got this wonderful spicy incense scent, a cross between church or temple incense and oriental perfume-it reminds me slightly of Djinn. There must be frankincense and myrrh here, and possibly some pepper. This is fantastic stuff.

After a while: there's a slight 'burnt wood' scent here that I got with some myrrh/sandalwood/incense scents, in moderation this adds an interesting twist to a scent, in excess it becomes too much. In here it's in moderation and adds atmosphere-in fact it seems to fit in nicely with the general resinous/spicy scent this has. This reminds me slightly of Cairo's incense scent but with none of that blend's sweet fruitiness, and with Djinn-like dark smouldering spices and herbal smoke in its place, and with a barely there undercurrent of a deep musk.

After a short while the burnt scent disappears, leaving a well balanced smooth dark resin scent, with possibly some wood notes. It's quite masculine but not off putting. It now reminds me of Nyarlahotep's incense but without the ozone.

And then after a few hours, the drydown is almost identical to King of Clubs!!! I think it even has leather and moss just like KoC did...this is delicious!

Verdict: as a physics nerd I've been looking forward to trying this, and it really lives up to it's expectations. I get none of the sourness (thank goodness) or the nutty smell that others have mentioned, but I do get a fascinating mix of resins, smouldering woods, spices, herbs and possibly some musk too. It's an exotic blend, like something you'd smell in some ancient temple or secluded tent in a desert bazaar. It's like Djinn's smoky incense meets Corazon's herbs at the beginning, then it comes into it's own and ends with a drydown very similar to King of Clubs. The scent is dark and mysterious, like a black hole…ooooh. This is definitely something I will wear when studying astrophysics at university-and since it's a unisex scent, it's certainly something I'd love one of the cute guys who studies with me to smell like!!! I know it's still a prototype but I really hope this gets released some day because it's pretty damn wonderful!

Edited by yeahbutnobut

Bottle (Imp): Smooth and nice, with a good jolt of -something-.

Just On: This is really pretty interesting.

An hour or two later: Still interesting, and I can't identify any of it.

Around 6 hours: Much lighter, but still about the same.

12 hours: Pretty much gone.

Overall: An interesting scent, and I've no idea what was in it.

After reading other reviews: Wow, I really didn't get the nuttiness or most of what others described, though now that I've read other reviews, that might change if I went back to try again.

Much thanks to Imbrium for the imp of this one :D. That said, I really love Naked Singularity.

It is a strong masculine blend on me with a lot of throw and great staying power. In the imp I definitely smell frankincense, on me the resin lingers in the background. I'm also getting a sort of burnt wood smell at first that reminds me of cedar and then of powdery sandalwood. After a few minutes a spicy cinnamon warmth comes through, but it stays behind the woods and resins.

This is wonderful, warm, and sexy.

Naked Singularity is amazing. I would buy a 10 ml for my boy if I could. :P

in the vial: resinous.

wet: herbal resin

as it dries it softens and gets a mellow antique type resin note, and retains a bit fo spice. i think there is the slightest touch of musk but it is way deep, behind the herbs which play a supporting role for either frankencinse or myrrh, i am leaning a bit towards myrrh, a "spicey" mature resin. by far this retains the resin scent more then the other notes.

Frankincense, myrrh and dark musk. I think they might be a hint of pepper. On wet, I thought it was vetiver because of the gritty smokiness but now I think it was some of the pepper I was picking up, which is more noticeable as such in the drydown. It does remind me quite a bit of Event Horizon (which makes sense), as a dark foreboding sort of scent.

Dark and mysterious. Slightly masculine.