Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Morrighana

Gourmand - Foody Scents - General Recommendations

I know there's a thread about listing favorite scents by category scent family (not category, which refers to the categories on the site, the thread for which is located here) and I know that foody, sweet, fruity, etc. were included in that. I'm searching now to see if I can find it. I'll post the link if/when I do.

Here it is: favorite scents by scent family. Maybe a mod will merge this into that thread, since it seems to fit? Or not...I dunno, I just wander around clicking on things. :P

Edited by Dymphna

(edited to respond to your edit)

Hmm... that is a good thread, but I'm not sure if this would work as it's foody specific, down to the subcategories of different foody varieties.

I'll happily leave it up to the mods, they will know where this fits best! Thanks for your help finding the "favorite scents by family" thread! Either way, it's very helpful!

Edited by Cacie

Off the top of my head:

Sugar Skull, Bordello, Dana O'Shee, Velvet, Lick it Again (and probably also Lick It), Chaste Moon, Spooky, O and MB: Underpants.

I also suspect that the Enraged Groundhog Musk will be quite foody. :P

I <3 the foody-type scents!! They're my absolute favorite. I'll keep thinking of more.

Ooh, that is a good thread/post, Mianjo. Thanks for that! I should have realized there'd probably be lots of ideas in the Recommendations section (duh).

*hi fives self* It's awkward, but I'm worth it. :P

I was just in that thread yesterday. I have two BPAL loves: sugar and spice. I love foody blends, and I love spicy/incensy blends. That thread has tons of great ideas. Glad I could help. :D

Please be gentle with me. Initiate me into the world of foody (but not too foody) scents.

I've been avoiding the foody stuff like the plague. I don't want to smell like a cookie! But then that caramel note in BLWB snuck up on me and seduced the crap out of me. I want more like that! Where the food aroma is balanced by the other notes, and just enhances the overall scent, but doesn't make me smell like something that just popped out of my granny's oven.

I might one day be brave enough to smell like a chocolate cake, but right now, just a touch of food amidst other notes is all I think I need.

I've already decided I'm getting a bottle of Tiresias with my next order, because it sounds awsome. Can you recommend some foody (but not too foody) GCs for my imp pack?

I favor woods, spices, resins, herbs and mosses. I'm growing very fond of BPAL's leather and musk notes. I also like fruits - orange, fig and currant smell especially nice on me.

Some I'm considering so far:

Kali

Tezcatlipoca

Velvet

maybe Bien Loin D'ici

What, no love for Mr. Nancy? Because I love. Love that scent....

Reviews vary but extispex, it might be worth hunting down a decant. Some people say it's foody but not too foody. For me it's more on the sugary side but I didn't mind a bit. And some people think it's rather masculine.

For me it's spicy, bay rum, and sugar cookies. Just great. I can't believe I still don't have a whole bottle of it!

Kali

Tezcatlipoca

Velvet

maybe Bien Loin D'ici

I have similar tastes, and LOVE Tezcatlipoca. It's not foody in the slightest. Also try Centzon Totochitn. Oh, and you might like Dorian - some people find it has a trace of sugar cookie on their skin, though I don't find it to be that way for me. You also like fruits, so check out a number of the Excolo loa scents like Obatala, Shango, and Elegba. Sadly I can't wear it, but The Hanging Gardens is gorgeous too - lots of ripe fruit. Oh, and another set I can't wear but is good is Misk U. with it's hit of coffee in the Arkham series, and Shub Niggaruth with it's crazy gingerbread. It doesn't smell like gingerbread on me though - that's a skin chemistry thing, I think.

What I think you are looking for is "gourmand" scents, which have food in them but aren't "foody", if that makes sense. A numbero f my favorites are not generally available in imps, but can be found in swaps.... Try to find decants of Mr.Nancy and Boomslang.

Good luck!

N.

\

Thats the wonderful thing about BPAL, once you think you know what you like, something comes along and surprises you, takes you off in another direction. I love that.

And Dorian was one of my first imps. I remember liking it, but my niece claimed it as her own (she loves BPAL too) and I haven't seen it since. I may have to revisit it.

And Elegba is another one I really love. I never really considered it 'foody', but its damned good. But I've had good luck with the Loa scents I've tried so far, so I think a few more of them will have to go in my next order.

Mr Nancy sounds awsome, and gives me an excuse to try more Gaiman scents, and I've been wanting to try some snakes but have been intimidated by the huge choice, so Boomslang gives me a place to start. (I almost wrote Boobslang :P)

Thank you both for all the good ideas! Sounds like my next order might be a big one.

Please be gentle with me. Initiate me into the world of foody (but not too foody) scents.

I've been avoiding the foody stuff like the plague. I don't want to smell like a cookie! But then that caramel note in BLWB snuck up on me and seduced the crap out of me. I want more like that! Where the food aroma is balanced by the other notes, and just enhances the overall scent, but doesn't make me smell like something that just popped out of my granny's oven.

I might one day be brave enough to smell like a chocolate cake, but right now, just a touch of food amidst other notes is all I think I need.

I've already decided I'm getting a bottle of Tiresias with my next order, because it sounds awsome. Can you recommend some foody (but not too foody) GCs for my imp pack?

I favor woods, spices, resins, herbs and mosses. I'm growing very fond of BPAL's leather and musk notes. I also like fruits - orange, fig and currant smell especially nice on me.

Some I'm considering so far:

Kali

Tezcatlipoca

Velvet

maybe Bien Loin D'ici

Oh absolutely Kali and Velvet! They're not too foody at all. They make chocolate into a perfume note rather than something you'd snack on.

I'd almost recommend Candy Butcher because the chocolate in that is so deep and there's something about it that's incredibly complex and intriguing... at least on me. But it might be in the realm of TOO much for you!

Then of course there's Boomslang, if you like Snake Oil.

Can you tell I like chocolate scents??

Why am I not even a little bit surprised to come into this thread and see zenvodunista pimping the Tez? :P

Mr. Nancy is extremely syrupy on me in the early stages -- way too syrupy for my tastes, but some people really like it -- but the drydown is really nice. Spicy and holiday-esque.

Eat Me is cool -- the description scared me, because cake? Ack! But it actually smells sort of incensey-fruity -- Snake Charmer Lite, if you will. Gourmand, but not foody IMO.

Wulric the Wolfman isn't really GC, but Carnaval Diabolique is around for the foreseeable future and is easy to get decants of. Wulric is cocoa and lavendar. Neat scent. I don't like cocoa, but it's an interesting blend if you do.

I know you wanted GCs, but I have to recommend one non-GC -- Jolasveinar (Yule LE, but you might be able to get it in swaps) is a very cool gourmand scent -- it's pastries and pine. One of my favorites, and I'm not into the foodies.

In response to Extispex

Dorian. DorianDorianDorianDorian. Most. Beautiful. Scent. EVER. or maybe that's just me :D

Seriously though, the musk and tea tamp down the vanilla sugar, so it's a complex, musky warm sugar scent that's not really "sugar cookie" to me, but absolutely warm and gorgeous.

Also, one of the "13" blends..although they smell like orange chocolate shortbread in the bottle, it turns out to be creamy vanilla orange on my skin.

When I want to smell "Sweet" I'm a big fan of scents with fig in them... Eden is an especial favorite of mine... a touch of creamy coconut, warm fig and a bit of greeness. Maybe not "foody" but sweet, w/out being "bakery fresh" :P I see you mentioned fig as well, so I say definitely try Eden.

I'll also second Tezcatlipoca , but that's based solely on the description. Haven't tried it myself yet (though I want to)

Thank you everyone for your recommendations. I now feel equipped to venture into the foodier side of BPAL, and actually made a modest GC order today, which included some recommended items. If this goes horribly wrong, I know who to blame. :P

However, I get the feeling I'm going to find a lot of new goodies to love. I always do.

Thanks again!

Thank you everyone for your recommendations. I now feel equipped to venture into the foodier side of BPAL, and actually made a modest GC order today, which included some recommended items. If this goes horribly wrong, I know who to blame. :P

However, I get the feeling I'm going to find a lot of new goodies to love. I always do.

Thanks again!

But now I want to know what you ordered!

I'm looking for some foody scents.

Blood Drop's Cafe Zazou (coffee, milk, sugar, chocolate) is truly divine, except it lasts about 5 minutes then no one can smell it, even with nose to wrist.

Candy Butcher is fabulous, but morphs into 'not quite.'

I've tried MB: Underpants once and it was, of course, dead on. However, my chances of getting any of it are slim and none.

I'm waiting on a sample of Cockaigne. Tried it once and swooned, but need to wear it a few times to see if it's The One.

Pinched w/4 Aces is faboo, and I love it and want more, but there's too much wood in it to satisfy this need.

Bliss is a great chocolate scent, and is great for layering to give that richness to other things, but I want a scent that's caramely, cakey, thick and creamy and another that's Chocolate at the coffeehouse.

Help? For the rest of my wants, my wishlist link is in the sig line below.

pm or reply here. Thanks!!

Have you tried Miskatonic University? Its described as "The scent of Irish coffee, dusty tomes and polished oakwood halls." On me, its coffee + caramel, and might really satisfy your coffee/foody needs. And if you wanted chocolate coffee, you could layer it with your Bliss.

As for ultimate cakey type scents. Have you tried gluttony? Its "Dark chocolate, vanilla, buttercream, and hops with pralines, hazelnut, toffee and caramel." Might be just want you're looking for.

Eat me and Drink Me are worth a shot, too. Both are very foody.

I have to express my love for Wulric the Wolfman as a rich chocolate-y scent, too. It worked much better on me than Candy Butcher did, so its now my chocolate Carnaval Diabolique of choice. :P

I second trying Gluttony and Miskatonic University. Another nice thick chocolate is Boomslang (Snake Oil with cocoa, teakwood, and rice milk), but you have to like Snake Oil too.

For caramel try The Arrival At The Sabbath And Homage To The Devil (bourbon vanilla, benzoin, caramel, Mysore sandalwood, aged black patchouli, carnation, and iris florentina) from the Salon. It's mostly vanilla and caramel on me. The other caramel recommendations I have are, sadly, LEs. My favorite caramel is Red Lantern (golden amber, blonde tobacco, Sudanese black coconut, rich caramel, black currant, white opium and delphinium laced with a sensual blend of Asian spice) and you'll find this one much easier to get than MB: Underpants. My other favorite is Monster Bait: Ventriloquist Dummy (apricot, dry woods, and patchouli covered by a disarmingly sweet mishmosh of caramel, brown sugar, hazelnut, and butterscotch), though it's on the woodsy side.

I second trying Gluttony and Miskatonic University. Another nice thick chocolate is Boomslang (Snake Oil with cocoa, teakwood, and rice milk), but you have to like Snake Oil too.

Actually SO doesn't work on me, but I like Boomslang (the only two of the snake pit I love are the ones said to be closest to SO- go figure). I like Gluttony and Misk U more, though.

Since you like Cockaigne (milk and honey, sweet cakes and wine), you might check out Dana O'Shee (Offerings of milk, honey and sweet grains).