Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Morrighana

Gourmand - Foody Scents - General Recommendations

Also, there are threads in Recommendations where members are asking for scents like cotton candy, or something a young girl who likes sweet scents might like...

Here is a list of secondary foody scents (and what makes them less foody):

Alice (floral)

Dorian (fern)

Kali (floral)

Snake Oil (incense)

Dia De Los Muertos (floral/incense)

Centzon Totochtin (heavy)

White Rabbit (tea, less sweet)

Sudha Segara (ginger, less sweet)

Perversion (smoke)

Black Pearl (floral)

Blood (cherry, not sweet)

You can "stalk" my scent choices, if you like.  I have my top ten and other good things listed in my signature.

And now, a list of foodiness:

Bliss

Gingerbread Poppet

Dana O'shee

Vice

Velvet

Hecate

Eclipse

Juke Joint

Chaste Moon

Dragon's Milk

Jack

Bon Vivant

Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo

March Hare

Jailbait

Wrath

Three Witches

Or...go to the advanced search engine and search for "oriental/gourmand/spicy" in the scent families list:

http://vanilla.spicybrains.org/index.php?adv=1

If you're looking for dessert-like foody smells, which I suspect you might be (as opposed to fruity food, or spicy food), my most foody would be:

Bliss

Dana O'shee

Gingerbread Poppet

Jack

That's a pretty comprehensive "foody" list, tart! Well done! I am a foody fragrance lover as well, and I agree with everything tart said above with the exception of Juke Joint. It smelled like my (boozy) stepmother, so I didn't care for it!

If you like Black Phoenix, try Hecate.

Oh, thank you for this suggestion! Now that I've tried it, I love it, although I haven't passed it past his nose yet.

As for the results of the earlier suggestions that I've gotten my hands on so far: Tombstone worked wonderfully, although it gets awfully dry/cedar (my skin loves to amp woods) at points for me. Zephyr is nice, but awfully masculine for me at times, and a bit more commercial than I'm used to for BPAL. Tamora ended up very commercial-smelling to me as well. I like it, and although I haven't passed it past the SO yet, I suspect it's got too much edge spice for his nose--it's probably too sharp for him, if that makes sense.

Others that worked, suprisingly: Grog! I was amazed and gratified that he could deal with this one, as it's a gorgeous little pick. It's mostly butterscotch on me. And I just tried Hellcat, and I suspect that may work as well, although I haven't asked his opinion on it yet (it's allergy season for him right now, and he won't be able to smell a thing for a good few weeks at least).

Thanks for everyone who gave input here. Discovering Tombstone was a huge help.

Golden Priapus is almost all vanilla on me, but the other notes stop it from being a sweet vanilla. Which in my case is good, as most vanillas are too sweet for me, but might not be what you're after. I definitely didn't find it to be particularly masculine.

I'd also recommend Hetairae!! I love this one :P It is very complex and changes a lot on me while wearing. It dries down to a lovely fig and honey scent. To quote my own review:

"When first applied it smells slightly resinous and spicy with some floral undertones. There's also a fruity note which I guess is the fig but it smellls more like deep purple grapes to me. This has really good staying power and changes alot the longer it's on. In the very final stages it smells very faintly of figs drizzled with honey. This is a real stunner for me, beautiful and complex!"

Tezcatlipoca.

i mean, i got an imp of that and an imp of Centzon Totochtin, and they are somewhat similar, but man, the Tezcatlipoca.

to *die* for. it just changes and morphs on the skin over and over.... really luscious and sexy and ... i wanted to eat my own arm off.

very long lasting as well.

n.

probably some echos, but here goes...

Dragon's Milk - sweet honey & creamy

Dragon's Heart - berries & figs.

Kali - sugary, chocolately note over sweet florals

Pele - sweet in a beachy sort of fragrant way.

Agalea - fruity, tangy, sweet

Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo - fruit stripe gum.

Horn of Plenty - cherry jolly ranchers

Spooky (LE) - mint & coconut cookies, covered in chocolate

Midwinter's Eve (LE) - plummy sweets

Dia de los Muertos (LE) - sweet. no other description. heh.

Sugar Skull (LE) - sugary, mapely, caramelly. yum.

13 (LE) - chocolate orange

Mi-Go Brain Canister (LE) - fruity fruit fruit.

Cerberus (LE) - lemony, nutty, fig newtons

Midway (LE) - caramel, funnelcakes, marshmallows

Absinthe - anisey-minty candy

Bliss - chocolate!

Bon Vivant - strawberries & champagne

Juke Joint - boozy, but minty & sugary too

Inferno - cinnamony-spicy candy

Gluttony - like wearing an entire dessert cart.

Dorian - sweet tea, vanilla & lemon biscuits.

Jailbait - bazooka bubblegum

Bordello - sweet plum with an incense base

Jezebel - very sweet combination

Kabuki - sweet cherry with a touch of anise.

Lolita - smells like a lollipop

O - honey & vanilla

Akuma - berry sweet

Hellcat - sweeeeeeeeeeet mead & almond and ow my teeth hurt

March Hare - apricots & clove - very sweet

Jester - smells like candy

Hollywood Babylon - strawberries & vanilla

Yerevan - also with the sweet apricot smells

by no means a complete list, but some of the ones i thought might appeal to someone with a sweet tooth. :P

Hi, I am fairly new and have tried only Gingerbread Poppet which i adore buit only lasts 45 minutes on me I tried a love potion which i presumed i would adore called hetairae , i did in fact adore it in the bottle but on my skin it gave me a terrible headache. Also thought i would fall in love with midway but alas it smelled like burnt butter in a horrd metal frying pan...... :D

I am looking for suggestions for any spicey foody scents and am willing to try ozone scents as I can actually wear Calven Klein Eternity and also Obsession so perhaps I am ok with musk. I can only wear the perfumes of these Klein makes though.

I also like Leu dissey by isi miyake excuse my spelling.

So i guess what im saying is that although i adore and prefer mulled wine, almond, marzipan, clove and ginger smells I also like ozone type scents. I think I prefer spicey foody scents and as yet am unsure if any of the ones I am waiting for have musks so I can then decide if the BPAL musks suit me.

Any advice would be fab. :D

I am awaiting the following to try......March Hare, Gluttony,13, Mabon, Samhain, Aunt carolines money draw, Old Dublin, Glasgow and one other I cant put my finger on. :P ........... Will ETA when i remember......

Thanks peeps

Have you tried Hellcat? Very spicy and foody to me. Also Dana O'Shee came out quite almond-y on me.

I'm sure the true foody scent lovers also have plenty of suggestions! :P

Jack is wonderful...you would love that....most likely, Grog and Elegba as well.....

Sugar Skull layered with Malkuth is amazing!!! All brown sugary (from sugar skull) and

cinnamon-spice danish from Malkuth.....to die for~~~ :P

I am new to BPAL too; so, take my advice lightly :P. For the ozone scent I had to tell you to try Dirty. Also, I love the cinnamon undertone of Sugar Cookie for a spicy food scent. Tintagel might be another one for you to look into.

Regarding the musks - do not judge any by the performance of another. Sometimes the BPAL musks are the best thing ever, sometimes ick. Don't be afraid to try a varitey of them! Dorian might be a good start, as it's musky cookies and tea. Which sounds nasty, but it's not.

Re foody: Port Au Prince is wonderfully clovey and delicious. Intrigue is foody-but-not, and is probably my all-time favorite cool weather blend. Starts off very chocolatey, but mmmm not sweet. Perfection.

The best bet - hit the swap/sales hard. Try a lot of random things.

I think the new "default" for spicy foody yumminess is BENGAL!

Yum. :P

Hi there ~

I am also new but I have always loved foody types of scents in fragrances as well as in home fragrances. (Yankee Candle's Hazelnut Coffee is an addiction for me!)

I love, love, LOVE the BPAL fragrance Jack. Someone else here on this thread has mentioned it ~ but I wanted to come along and post it, again. I simply adore the fragrance... it is quite rich and spicy. Full of buttery Fall goodness.

:D

It has become my (almost daily) fragrance o' choice.

That and Hunger... :P

Which is another good foody-ish scent.

I'd rec Miskatonic University (discontinued LE), Shub-Niggeroth (can't spell...also dc'd LE), Gingerbread Poppet (again, dc'd LE, but maybe it will come back for the Yule update!!) and...hmmm...Al-Shairan? Although that's patchouli-heavy...

I'd also definitely recommend Shub-Niggurath if you can find some. Kinda spicy-foodies you might want to try... Dragon's Milk, Dana O'Shee, Eclipse, The Hesperides, Sacred Whore of Babylon, Sin, Jack...

You might like Voodoo... it's one of my favorites and it has almond and clove in it. Bengal has ginger and clove (though it smelled like mostly cinnamon on me). There are a lot of good, spicy BPAL blends out there.

Good luck :P

i'm rather new to bpal and had no idea what i would like, and now i think i have a bit of an idea. i love moon rose, that's the only one so far that's really stuck out to me. i thought i'd love xiuhtecuhtli because of its professed similarity to angel, which has been my recent perfume staple and i *love* it (it gets sweet and smoky on me, whereas xiu gets so smoky that i kind of want to cough). before angel i wore the hell out of a lot of vanilla bodysprays.

i think the lotus is why i like moon rose, because i didn't like eve and it's the same sort of light rose scent, so i'll do a search for lotus and see what turns up, but sweet and a little foody i think will be a little harder to search for so i'm asking for suggestions here. snake oil and bliss are already on my list......any others?

danke

EDIT: oh my goodness, it's not lotus! moonflower? wtf is that? why do i loooove moon rose and can't handle eve? hm....

Edited by (not a goth)

for vanilla my favourites are Snake Oil (but let it age for a couple of months at least!) & Jack (pumpkin spice vanilla!) & Dragon's Milk & Velvet (chocolate+sandalwood+vanilla) & Tamora (flowery peachy vanilla) & O (uber sexy - handle with care!)

other popular vanilla blends are:

Euphrosyne & Peitho & Love Me (but not if your skin hates jasmine!)

Dorian (sugared tea vanilla)

Zephyr (lemon musk vanilla)

Hunger (floral vanilla)

Desire (complex deep roses and woods and vanilla)

Gluttony (uber uber sweet and fattening)

there's a vanilla recommendations thread somewhere; I'll see if I can hunt down a link!

Vanilla Recommendations

Forum love for vanilla blends

Vanilla & Musk

Vanilla & Tea

sweet & milky

ETA - there are different rose varieties used in different BPAL blends - it's just a matter of finding the blends where that rose works for you. mostly trial and error, or haunting the review pages to find reviewers' impressions of how similar a rose in blend A is to rose in blends X and Y.

Some thread links for reading on roses-

Best Rose Scent

Long Lasting Fresh Rose

Rose is a Rose? - discussing the endless variety of different roses in different blends

Innocent Roses

Vanilla & Rose

Edited by Galen

Black Pearl is really sweet on me, vanilla-ish, I´ve been told. And since I lurve most things sweet and foody; Sugar Cookie, Bliss, Dana O´Shee, Midway (if you can find it), and from the ones I´ve tried, I second Gingerbread Poppet, Snake Oil, Dorian, Dragon´s Milk, Tamora, O and Gluttony (if you can handle it :P)

Well, for vanilla, I enthusiastically second Dorian. And for not-too-foody chocolate, I LOVE Velvet.

For other sweet/foody scents that I didn't already see listed, I'd suggest hellcat (sweet and nutty, but somehow isn't sickeningly sweet like gluttony was on me) and eden (how can one NOT love "fig leaf, fig fruit, honeyed almond milk, toasted coconut and sandalwood"?).

Oh, and if you really do like moonflower, I'd try midnight. It sounds dark, but its light and clean and wonderful floral (this coming from someone who's not the floral type).

If you're at all into spicey/foody, queen of sheba is a great mix of spice and almond. Bagdad is interesting and complex, too--kinda a spicey rose scent on me, so if you like rose and food, it might be for you.

Aunt Carolines Joy Mojo smelled like christmas spice cookies on me, but judging from reviews, your results could vary. :P

Good luck!

o/t - Jewelbug - I adore your hubby-created icons. Every time I look at your signature there's something new to drool over: the Labyrinth's peach in Fae? :D Western stills for Tombstone? :oooh!: The King for Velvet? :P

I don't recognise the sexy lady in Intrigue though - should I??