Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Morrighana

Gourmand - Foody Scents - General Recommendations

Hey guys! I know the last thing I probably need right now is more enabling, but I have nothing better to do (who does homework, anyway?) and figured I could use a little scent-expansion. (:

I've tried and love: Gingerbread Poppet '07, El Dia De Reyes '07, and Monster Bait: Bigger Critters in the direct foodie category, and Chimera, Eclipse, Florence, Dorian, and Possets' Spook (plus Villainess' Ginger-Snapped Smooch, while I'm at it) in the not-so-foodie-but-still-sweet-and-yummy-smelling category.

I love chocolate, vanilla, and warm, thick foodie scents. Cakey smells would be a plus, too. I do not do well with any scents that deviate into the dark, woodsy/earthy realm of things, but I do tend to work well with soft, warm floral scents. Warm, incense-y lower notes are good, too (i.e. that vanilla-y incense note that usually comes out towards the end). Anubis works very well on me (I think it's the myrrh?), and the notes in Chimera and Eclipse that smell like almond extract in the bottle (probably honey). I typically don't seek out florals since I'm very particular about them. But warm and/or soft sugary scents are absolutely spectacular in my book.

So. Any foodies out there who feel like enabling me further? *eyebrowwaggle*

Hee, I just wanted to point out that Eclipse does have almond as an ingredient, so the culprit for smelling like almond extract might actually be... almond. (I also get an almondy vibe from Chimera, but I just looked it up to make sure I wasn't being stupid, and it turns out that I was- but I think it might be an unlisted ingredient... anyway) I know, you can trout me.

Hmm, what's not been mentioned?

From the GC:

Jack- pumpkin and peach cobbler... I don't know how that works, but it does

Jailbait- What smells exactly like hubba bubba bubble gum in the bottle smells awesome on my skin. YMMV (which, if you don't speak BPAL, means "your mileage may vary"- it took me forever to figure that out, because I'm pretty sure I was too stubborn to ask.)

Dana O'Shee- Sweet, creamy, warm and lovely... just try it.

Sudha Segara- Like Dana, but with ginger... and I swear it smells like tea, too.

Shub Niggurath- Speaking of ginger... This is delightful. People have mentioned getting lemon cake out of it, as well, but I never quite had that reaction.

Bengal- Honey, spices... it is fantastic.

Queen of Sheba- Almonds and honey. Smells like cookies, on me. Sometimes.

Mouse's Long and Sad Tale- Sweet, lovely sandalwood. If you don't like it fresh, put it away and let it age for a few months. It'll smell even better.

Katharina- More fruity than foody, but it is a GORGEOUS scent if you're into fruity.

Velvet- If you can do sandalwood (and I can only do it in certain scents), Velvet is a beautiful, warm cocoa.

Come to Me- I think this is the one that people often describe as "cakey"

Gluttony- If you think you can handle it...

O- the honey scent all other honey scents aspire to be (in my opinion, of course!)

Antique Lace- Quintessential vanilla scent. The vanilla all other vanilla scents aspire to be (except that is just the general consensus; I'm not head over heels for AL)

There are plenty of others, but that should be enough from the catalog. On to Limited Edition scents:

The Perilous Parlour: Spiced vanilla pear. To die for.

Basically any version of Thirteen: It has chocolate in it, always.

Egg Nog: Yum!

Beaver Moon (2005 is better than 2007, but '07 is much easier to acquire)

La Befana (It sounds strange, but you just need to try it on)

Midway- This should've been the first thing to be recommended!

Red Lantern- A very sticky foody.

Sugar Cookie- Well, the name kinda says why... heh.

Midnight Kiss- Cocoa and musk. Other stuff, too, I would imagine! I can't wear it.

Earth Rat- Smells primarily like candied melons.

Hope that helps some!

EDIT: Because Love's Philosophy had already been mentioned, and to add in some others.

Edited by cordia

Seconding 'Beaver Moon'!

Creamy strawberries, with a light 'Milky Bar Kid' undercurrent. :P

Let's see. Things that I hate, you would like :P. SO:

Mr. Nancy -- tooth-achingly sweet and syrupy in the opening, then smells like spicy Christmas cookies

Bliss -- brownies

Grog -- butterscotch

I tend to like foody scents and spicy scents but not chocolate. :P I'm sure most or all of these have been mentioned already, but...

Cockaigne was very spicy cake on me. I also love Midway (both original and resurrected - it smells like funnel cakes and cotton candy on me and is great in a locket), Pumpkin Queen and Pumpkin V (from 07), Beaver Moon '07, and I like Egg Nog though it doesn't last long on my skin. I'm liking Cheshire Moon and Diary of a Teenage Cannibal, too, as they were a sort-of fruity cake thing on my skin. If you like fruity, Earth Rat is a great melon scent on me!

It looks like I need to try more GC foodies, as most of my list are LE!

I :P foodie scents! The hubby says that I always smell like dessert. I happen to like woodsy, but the woods that are paired with foods seem different than the foresty woods, so if you don't like woods in other, non-foodie blends, you might try them in a foodie blend.

Here are some of my favorites, but there are a ton to choose from:

Antique Lace (a soft, wistful blend of dry flowers, aged linens, and the faint breath of long-faded perfumes) - Don't let the description fool you, this is a vanilla lover's dream.

Bliss (the serotonin-slathered scent of pure milk chocolate) - Exactly as its description, milk chocolaty goodness.

Boomslang (Snake Oil with cocoa, teakwood, and rice milk) - Spiced dark cocoa.

Candy Butcher (dark chocolate with a heavy cream undertone) - A milk chocolate, but drier than Bliss.

El Dia de Reyes (Hot cocoa with cinnamon, coffee, and brown sugar) - Spicy hot cocoa!

Glowing Vulva at Ryogoku Bridge (cream accord, amber, teak, and lotus blossom) - I swear it smells like ice cream!

Gluttony (dark chocolate, vanilla, buttercream, and hops with pralines, hazelnut, toffee and caramel) - My first foodie scent. Extraordinarily sweet, like a caramel toffee sticky bun glazed with chocolate and topped with candied nuts.

Monster Bait: Ventriloquist Dummy (savage apricot, depraved dry woods, and psychopathic patchouli covered by a disarmingly sweet mishmosh of caramel, brown sugar, hazelnut, and butterscotch) - Sweet caramel with hazelnuts, almost Nutella-like.

O (amber and honey with a touch of vanilla) - Honey goodness.

Tiresias, The Androgyne (black currant, patchouli, tobacco, cinnamon leaf, caramel, muguet, and red sandalwood) - Sweet caramel with a dash of spice and an undertone of wood.

Velvet (gentle sandalwood warmed by cocoa vanilla and a veil of deep myrrh) - My #1 fave and the one I wear as a default. On me, the cocoa vanilla is the most prominent, followed by the sandalwood and then the myrrh.

White Rabbit (strong black tea and milk with white pepper, ginger, honey and vanilla, spilled over the crisp scent of clean linen) - A lot like sweet chai tea to me.

Fruits don't work on me, but Pumpkin does. I love the Pumpkin Patches, especially the ones with chocolate in them.

I just got done recommending Knave of Hearts over at the "All I want is to smell like a bakery thread" because on me it smells like Razzleberry Pie (butter, cinnamon, raspberries, blackberries, but still totally wearable). A caveat, though: my skin chemistry is weird. I rarely, rarely match any reviews given of any scent. So maybe it's just me on the Razzleberriness of KoH.

Also, it's probably been rec'd already, but Misk U smells yummy and foody. It goes a little too dusty on me, but it is great as a room scent (or a pencil case scent, lol).

Hope this was helpful!

Miscatonic Valley JBA + Shub Niggurath = chocolate covered caramel corn with cinnamon!! Like Moose Munch with a pinch of cinnamon :P

I'm doing homework for a friend (as a way of enabling as well). Her favorite scent was discontinued from wherever it was that she was getting it, and the notes were caramel, orchid, and musk. I was wondering if there's anything similar? I'm finding lots of recs for caramel and spice, but not so much caramel and florals.

I'm doing homework for a friend (as a way of enabling as well). Her favorite scent was discontinued from wherever it was that she was getting it, and the notes were caramel, orchid, and musk. I was wondering if there's anything similar? I'm finding lots of recs for caramel and spice, but not so much caramel and florals.

The Arrival at the Sabbath and Homage to the Devil, maybe? The description lists: Bourbon vanilla, benzoin, caramel, Mysore sandalwood, aged black patchouli, carnation, and iris florentina.

Does anyone know of a BPAL scent that smells like pineapple? I just love the scent of pineapple cookies, sundaes, etc.!

I think that alien invasion has pineapple in it I'm not sure if any of the other reviewers mention it but I get pineapple and grapefruit from it :D

Typically I don't like food scents (they just smell sticky to me), but I am interested in the right kinds of food. Like coffee-- I am dying to get my hands on some El Dia Los Reyes next Yule. And also (this is a new request, as far as the search engine tells me): horchata. That lovely iced rice-milky, cinnamony-but-not-too-sweet drink of the gods that they serve in Mexican restaurants. That stuff is divine. Are there any BPALs which capture that flavor?

Typically I don't like food scents (they just smell sticky to me), but I am interested in the right kinds of food. Like coffee-- I am dying to get my hands on some El Dia Los Reyes next Yule. And also (this is a new request, as far as the search engine tells me): horchata. That lovely iced rice-milky, cinnamony-but-not-too-sweet drink of the gods that they serve in Mexican restaurants. That stuff is divine. Are there any BPALs which capture that flavor?

Oh man. I haven't ever come across a horchata scent but.... mmmmmmm.... that would be fantastic. What a great idea!

Cockaigne......omg....cockaigne!

To me, this sells like sugar and spice, and everything naughty

Like snickerdoodles fresh from the oven, but you don't smell like a cookie. Vanilla and butter and sugar, with a warm note. Like cinnamon, REAL cinnamon, but not as sharp, but it makes me feel nice and warm like amber does. As soon as I get the rest of my imps and get a bulk order ready, THIS will be on the top of my list. One to wear now, and probably one to age too LOL

:lol:

i kinda feel the same way. cockaigne took a while to grow on me but now i just adore it.

Can anyone recommend a scent that reeeeally smells like benzoin?

I see it allot as a note, but I am looking for one where the benzoin really shines!

Thanks!

:lol:

i kinda feel the same way. cockaigne took a while to grow on me but now i just adore it.

Cockaigne is my 7yo's favorite; we think it smells exactly like raw white cake batter, so we call it "Cake Batter." I figure just in case she talks about it in school, I don't want anyone to misunderstand the name. ;)

Blargh: I'm having trouble.

I really like foody scents but most of them appear to not like me.

So far, Miskatonic University, Pais De Canela and White Rabbit are the only foody like scents that don't smell awful on me.

I've tried Dana O'Shea, Fae, The Hesperides, The Dormouse, March Hare, The Knave of Hearts and a few others and they always come off too strong, too chemically or with a different unpleasant note (lemon in particular goes pledge on me.)

I'm super desperate for things that don't fool with my body chem. It seems that fruits are a no-go almost altogether :/.

Help!

So far, Miskatonic University, Pais De Canela and White Rabbit are the only foody like scents that don't smell awful on me.

I've tried Dana O'Shea, Fae, The Hesperides, The Dormouse, March Hare, The Knave of Hearts and a few others and they always come off too strong, too chemically or with a different unpleasant note (lemon in particular goes pledge on me.)

I'm super desperate for things that don't fool with my body chem. It seems that fruits are a no-go almost altogether :/.

Help!

Dana O'Shee went all wheaty dust on me, The Hesperides was too chemical, and March Hare too tarty strong.

However, Egg Nog 07, Bread and Butterfly, Bite Me, Boo!, White Chocolate and Strawberry, and July 07's 13 are all amazing on me.

Also, if you like Caramely-Coffeeish scents, try the Salon's Homage to the Sabbath. It is a little more sweet where Misk U isn't, but I think they're in the same scent family. Also, if you can get your hands on some Dorian V3, give it a go---it's Dorian's tea with coconut.

Help!

One perfume I would recommend is Feast of the Greatly Revered Ones. It smells just like mexican hot chocolate to me, one of my favorite drinks in this world. Other than that, Gluttony is a great boozy chocolatey mess, and Hellcat is buttery and rummy. Gennivre, L'Artiste Du Diable, smells like sugary peppermint tea. The new Gothabilly smells just like cherry liqeur and vanilla-yum! (Can you tell I'm into booze and chocolate scents? :yum: )

As far as I'm concerned, however, the creme de la creme of foodie scents is Pancake Breakfast, which smells more like butter, pancakes, and boysenberry syrup than should be real. When I'm down, I put a little on and revel in the smell, which is so real it seems like it should have a calorie count.

Bumping this thread out of the depths. . .

Here are the foodie blends I have and love: Midway, Cake Smash, Love's Philosophy (not really that foodie IMO), Velvet Unicorn (more candy), Chimera

Foodie blends I've tried and think. . 'meh': MB's, Spooky, PO13, PX117, Drink Me, Dana O'Shee, Gingerbread Poppet. . that's some of them.

I'm looking for a blend that is similar or as close to lemon cookies or lemon pound cake? I'm not fond of the tea note in Dorian. . I want something more bakery. Any suggestions? Any proto's or LE's are fine. I also love coconut. .

Also. . what is the 'best' Sugar Cookie year? I'm looking for one that isn't too heavy on the spice. . more buttery cookie.

Thanks!

Also. . what is the 'best' Sugar Cookie year? I'm looking for one that isn't too heavy on the spice. . more buttery cookie.

Thanks!

Might just be me, but I got buttery cookie dough from Al-Azif.

I'm looking for a blend that is similar or as close to lemon cookies or lemon pound cake? I'm not fond of the tea note in Dorian. . I want something more bakery. Any suggestions? Any proto's or LE's are fine.

You might want to try Story Time at Dark Delicacies. I get the most wonderful lemon-y sugar cookies smell from it, along with the scent of old books in a library. It's not purely foodie, but it's one of my favorites.