Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
viciousviolet

Lilith

Mother of Demons, Vengeful Fury, Darkest Seductress, Queen of the Djinn, Goddess of the Gate. Red wine, myrrh, black musk, and attar of rose.

I like all the notes in this, but for some reason, they aren't working together on me.

I've noticed that sometimes myrrh in combination with other things can create a weird smell on me. Here, it's not blending right with the red wine, so I get a sort of wet dog and sour grapes thing when it's wet.

As it dries, it gets better, but there's still something off. I wish that myrrh worked on me all the time, because I love it, but sometimes my skin doesn't, I guess. Lilith would definitely be dark, sexy, and sinister on the right person.

Lilith smells very golden in the imp (matching my oil’s color in full), almost like honeyed bread. It’s incredibly sweet, but with something behind it. I want to say ginger, but guess that must just be the myrrh or musk in its wet stage.

It darkens considerably after I’ve applied it. The musk and myrrh are prominent and waft-y, almost as though I have a religious incense philter circling my body. The red wine and rose are subtle at best. It’s really all deep, smoky blends for me.

I’m reminded of Bastet without the almond and amber. It’s very lovely, but very heavy and even heady. I feel like I’ve soaked myself in ritual incense for an intense cleansing.

I wish Lilith was wearable on me, but it’s far too dark and somber for my tastes.

Why I have it: I think this came from a bunch of imps a friend gave me.

In the bottle: bubble gum, just like Athens.

Wet: still sweet, but the bubble gum fades. I'm a little worried about the attar of rose, but so far so good.

Drying down: It actually smells a lot like Athens, but it's a different kind of sweet without the honey.

Dry later: I like it quite a bit, but I like Athens better. Oddly enough the attar or roses never did turn soapy or metallic on me. I almost wish everything with rose acted the same so I'd know. Anyway, Athens wins hands down, but this was really nice on Nancy so yay for that!

Love this one. :D

I tried it as Shelldoo, and Penance both said it reminds them of F54. I don't even want to try to hunt down a sniff, as I am sure I would love it and then... :D So I figured I would try this and be satisfied!

And, this is heavenly. The wine is juicy and potent, the myrrh adds a spicy dry note. The musk gives me a your skin but better scent. I don't smell any rose in this blend, which is good for me as more often than not, rose is bad, very bad.

I am going to use up the imp, and probably have to get a bottle of this one.

Wonderful. :P

Agh! This is so bitter and sharp and bitter and sharp! I really can't pick up any component. It's just bitter, sharp, dark, and evil to me. Looking at the description, I'm surprised that the components came together to make something so bitter. Perhaps it's the myrrh, or the black musk. I don't think I've sniffed a scent with black musk before, so that's probably it.

this is my first review, but i've got a few to post.

In the bottle this smells really dark and somewhat sweet. It doesn't smell like anise, but it brings to my mind a kind of black licorice smell and the darkest of wines. It is a very thick and deep smell. I don't smell anything floral in this.

On me it continues to smell the same as in the bottle, only warmer. There is nothing light or bright about this smell. It makes me think of a combination of Fire and Earth, and lots of shadow. It does seem like a female scent. I could see it being worn to help get into the right mind set for some deep dark introspection and facing your own internal demons. I quite enjoy the smell of it, but it does put me into a more serious inward-looking state of mind. I'm considering getting a 5ml bottle of this.

This is a very dark, but sweet, scent. Really, really suits the name. It is verk dark red wine when it first goes on, but in the initial dry-down the myrrh comes out to play. The rose is the last element I got, but it makes this a very feminine, sultry, evil scent. It may be a little too incensey for me, but it sure is evocative. Still undecided on a bottle purchase, but am very impressed with this nonetheless.

In the bottle: Wine, myrrh, rose. I was hoping for more of a femine version of Djinn, hopefully it'll go all smokey.

First on: It's mostly wine & rose now, with a sourness like tobacco lingering in the background.

Drydown: Aw, it's all wine & roses on me. It's nice, but not at all what I was hoping for. It's like Lady M, but with rose instead of berries.

In the imp/first applied~All myrrh and sweetness.

After a few minutes it turns into a nag champa-like incense with a lovely hint of creamy vanilla...Rich, languid, thick with sex. Hypnotic almost.

Nice throw and lasts for hours.

Just might have to get a big bottle of this one.

provenance: lagniappe from the lab! how do they know what i haven't tried and want to? how do they know that i am drawn to the excolo and wanderlust scents????

in the imp: warm butterscotch. lots of boozy alcohol.

on my wrist, wet: still boozy. heavy florals underneath, perhaps damask rose petals? there is a sour note here that i can't quite identify.

drydown: definitely rose. the booze has disappeared, which is not a bad thing. there is now an incensey element, with a hint of smoke. the sourness is still evident, which is really too bad, as it would be lovely on me without that note.

overall: right, now i've looked up the scent description. bah, myrhh still hates me, obviously. :P

I get wine and myrrh with a musk undertone and a tinny bit of rose.

This is a sexy and obscure perfume, strong and warm. I need a big bottle! :P

Lilith

In the bottle: Very sweet, almost buttery in places.

Wet, on skin: Sweet but sharp, like an offertory of some sort. Very dusky, in that perfume-shop vein that I don't love. Some kind of fruit with a thick layer of dust covering its skin.

1.5 Hours on skin: Sweet and dusky, a little soapy. Turns into that default Fragrance on me.

Drydown: Faint and Default now. :P

Conclusion: I love the name and wish I'd liked the scent more.

Edited by sun_set_bravely

Out of the bottle, the first thing I can smell is the wine, and it's ctually a little more fresh and grapy than your usual wine scented oil. My immediate reaction was "I'm going to love this"

After while on my skin, however, it morphs into a very strong myrhh and rose.

This reminds me of a grandma scent (but not the bad kind..this one is actually pleasant).

This one is a little too strong and mature smelling for me. Perhaps without so much Myrhh and rose I would've really loved this one.

In the imp: Smells like cabernet and myrrh. There's something very spicy here, and I love it.

Wet: This is spicy on my arm. As always, the myrrh is strongest, but I can still smell the wine and a hint of the musk.

Drydown and wear: The scent does not morph a lot, and I'm happy that it maintains its spiciness. I'm really a fan of this, and it is going on my bottle list.

Lilith is one of the most bitter fruity scents that I have ever tried. First on all I can think of is sour thick dark grape juice. That kind of grape juice that is almost syrupy. Very sour. A boozy hint comes out after a few minutes, along with what smells like pepper. Normally I like the smell of pepper, but not mixed with boozy grape juice. This is a great example of red wine not working with my skin chemistry. :P

After about a half hour the grape and pepper calms down a bit and is more playful. It reminds me more of jolly ranchers at this point. Then the rose starts coming out... soapy rose and grape jolly ranchers.

Lilith just smells so weird on me. Weird in a bad way. The entire time that I was wearing it, I just keep thinking to myself that this fragrance should not exist.

I'm going to make some of my friends try this to see if it's as bad on them as it is on me. I'm abusive like that.

In the bottle: Lots of myrrh. In a way it reminds me of Iago, in that it tingles with evil, which I think must be the musk.

Wearing: My skin, as usual, amps the wine way up. There's a lot of rose, too. Most of the myrrh has faded away.

Later: Still wine and a little bit of powder.

Overall: I like it. It's very unusual. Will keep the imp.

Lilith began as a blend that nearly made me swoon- some sweet, spicy combination of cherry and almond and musk.

I thought it was going to remind me of Urd, in a good way.

Alas.

As it settled Lilith began to take on a sickeningly sweet tone - like cola layered over headshop. Warm cola. It's not as horrid as it sounds, but on me it's definitely somewhat nauseating.

It's settled into this and stubbornly refuses to morph further.

lilith.jpg

Sweet and sort of fruity, Lilith reminds me strongly of Wanda without the silly notes. This lady is all business. Fruity and has a scent I only usually find in Chinese food, and I don't know what it is....like the woody note in a good soy sauce. This is attractive and cherry like and wine like. It doesn't last forever though, I would say it has average staying power.

This is a good scent, but I think it is one of the older ones and really doesn't have the originality and risky beauty that some of Beth's later scents do. Perhaps it was bleeding edge when it came out, but I have smelled so many by now that I can't say it is memorable compared to some of Beth's Grand Fruit blends like Bordello. Nice as a taste of what these blends used to be like and I would certainly recommend it, but it didn't capture my nose, never mind my heart.

The icon is a black apple. Lilith was supposedly the first mate God created for Adam. She fought with him and left, then Eve was created. Lilith was the original, and since the apple is the stand in for all things regarding Eden...I thought a black apple would make the point.

Edited by olympia301

This is sweet in a dark and sticky way. Reminds me of melted grape lollipops.

I get a whiff of something that smells like nice incense.. maybe the black musk and myrrh combo. Myrrh is usually rancid on me, but this is surprisingly pleasing. As it dries, it smells more and more "head shop" ish.. but not in a way that I wouldn't want to experience again.

This is nice, not fantastic, but nice. I'm left with the impression of incense and plum preserves.

Lilith:

In the bottle: Mmmm, sweet, mellow red wine!

Wet: Red Wine and....something sweet but not sugary or honey-sweet. I think it's the layering of the wine and the musk. Maybe the "attar of rose", whatever that is?

Drydown: I do like it, a bit, but not that much. And, it's slowly turning to powder. All the nice ones seem to turn to powder on me.

Conclusion: sell

Bottle: Strong red wine, flavored like sangria but stranger, with rose petals preserved in ice.

Drydown: The myrrh starts to darken the drink, blended with the musk, and the rose is aging, becoming overblown.

Worn: When I wave my wrists around, the wafted scent is not only intense but pleasant in the air, heavy on the wine-and-rose; I have to resist the urge to sniff my wrists directly, because then it smells more wilted than anything. It does calm down somewhat after close to an hour, and if for example I'm typing, every now and then I get a whiff of dark rose-wine or sometimes dark wine-rose. I quite like this later stage, including how it lasts, and its throw.

Conclusion: This is a fragrance I'd choose only in the evening, and not often: just when I'm feeling decadent, perhaps a little dissipated, and not inclined to be logical. While it won't be a frequent scent for me, I'm definitely glad to have this frimp in my stash.

Lilith does not mess around. This scent is a powerful force: strong, deep and true. Strikingly beautiful, but you wouldn't dare tell her so...

The wine note and myrrh give an inital bite. The wine then fades into a slight fruitness, keeping the scent from being too dark. The rose is so fine and pure...again, not too "flowery"(for those of you who may fear rose, as I have). The musk and myrrh blend beautifully, holding it all down. The whole blend softens on me as it dries. I will be keeping her in my arsenal.

If you know me at all, you know it's "love me, love my Djinn," so I was very excited to come accross an imp of Lilith.

On me, it's quite light and sweet on application, and never does mellow to the deep and sexy notes that other people above report. It's still very pretty.

Another interesting example of Skin Chemistry At Work.

In the imp: This oil is really reminiscent of something, but I can't put my finger on what it is, maybe licorice crossed with...I don't know. It's not unpleasent, but it's also not something I would want to wear that often.

Wet: I know what this reminds me of now! A spice candle that I sniffed once. Again, not unpleasent. It's very strong. I just put a small dab inside by elbow, and it's as if I slathered it on. The scent is all around me. Quite a throw.

Drydown: Lilith is starting to mellow into wine with spice. It's a quiet darkness, calmly sinister.

Final Verdict: I can't say I dislike it, but I think it may take a certain type of personality to pull this off. I can see this on someone confident and sexy, but It doesn't really seem to fit in with my t-shirt and jeans. :P

Frimp from the Lab!

In the imp: Whoo. Dark and spicy -- strong on the wine notes, which is probably responsible for the berrylike character.

On, wet: There's the attar of roses. The musk and myrrh are a little more obvious now as well.

Drydown: Roses with a touch of sweetness from the myrrh. The wine note has faded, sadly -- I liked it. But no complaints about the scent that's left.

Very nice! Definitely keeping the imp.