Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The Dark Side of Fire: cinnamon, bitter almond, and neroli. Heavily spiced, torrid, and possibly conflagrant.

How on earth did I miss this one in the catalog?!

I love cinnamon and I love almond. I have no particular opinion of neroli but it doesn't matter because it didn't factor into the scent at all.

Inferno was a raging fireball of cinnamon and hot almond. It is almost shocking in its intensity and I found it to be a very sexy scent.

Unfortunately, it faded within an hour. I guess I will have to slather it on next time and see what happens :P

The almond which makes me drool so much in Black Phoneix is teamed up with cinnamin... Oh my gods.

This scent falls under the catagory of to DIE for in my book. I had to deter the man in my life from trying to lick it off my neck. (detur since I know very well it doesn't taste as it smells, and we were in a public place. Not fair.)

hehehe

A creamy scent which melts into the warmpth of cinnamin. Just...WOW...

I have to say that after reading the reviews here yesterday, I was a little bit wary to try this. However, no burning or welts for me, hooray!

I'd ordered this one to test my opinion of almond scents. So far, I've liked all the ones I've tried quite a lot (Hecate, Port au Prince), and I do like cinnamon as well. And I am not dissapointed in Inferno, either!

At first it is really just overpoweringly cinamon, but the almond insidiously blossoms underneath it, and rounds out the scent. The neroli adds a bit of sweetness to take the edge of the heat and bitterness of the other ingredients.

My only complaint is that it doesn't last too terribly long. Ahh well... I'll just have to put on some more! :P

In the bottle: Very sweet, a perfect blend of cinnamon and almond.

On my skin: Luckily, I didn't have a reaction to the cinnamon in this. It smells quite cinnamon-y when wet.

Dry: Ew. Smells like horse manure... I have no idea what notes are coming out now. Definitely going in the swap box. I had such high hopes for it, because I love spicy scents, as my skin turns everything spicy anyway.

Initial Sniff: Heavily almond with some cinnamon.

Wearing: Oh my. The almond disappears almost immediately, leaving nothing but cinnamon red hots. And an itchy red rash.

Final Impressions: I don't mind the red hots smell, but I do mind the rash. Off to swaps!

Inferno:

Wet: Holy wow. Cherries and almonds and smoke. oh YUM.

Drydown: I want to eat my arm. Perfection in a bottle! Sadly, after about 1/2 hour, the almonds go away, leaving me smelling like Big Red Gum. But that's okay. This is yummy.

Long-term wear: Instant big bottle. Very few scents get this reaction out of me, but this is to -die- for. I'm a fire girl, and this scent has me hooked!

Edited by anmorata

Bottle (Imp): Cinnamon Imperials. Nice sweet cinnamon. #2 Smells sweeter today, but same basic scent.

Just On: Immediately more sweet than in the imp, then it starts to morph into a cinnamon disk candy smell and loses a lot of it's oomph (could be today's skin). I could see The Mate liking this, as he eats cinnamon candies on a regular basis. Swiped a bit on The Mate as well to see what happens. #2 I put it on thicker this time, a couple of swipes instead of the usual small one. I'd really like this one to last, especially with the cinnamon sweetness that I get right after putting it on.

An hour or two later: This faded *really* fast. I can smell a hint of the cinnamon, and a little sweetness. Probably have to try this on a different day to get good effects. I can barely smell it on The Mate, but at least he had no reaction to it, so he could be fairly oil safe. #2 Again, this seems to soak right into my skin and disappear. I'll probably keep the imp around, but I don't foresee buying a bigger bottle if it isn't going to last just a bit longer. I did get a whiff of something besides cinnamon though, so that was kinda neat.

Around 6 hours: This seems to have faded to nothing on me today. I will try again in a few days. The Mate has nothing left either, so it wasn't just me. #2 Yep, almost totally gone, barely able to detect that I had *something* on.

12 hours: No scent left. #2 No scent left. Bummer.

Overall: First time- it didn't last at all. Second time- I really wanted this to last, but apparently my skin has different ideas. I might try to use this in lotion or something to see if it lasts better that way.

After reading other reviews: Wow, I guess it's not just my skin being wonky, others had it fading fast too. I think that even had this been my first one to review, I probably would still have been pretty impressed, because it smells REALLY good, and I'm very used to scents going away really fast on me. I'm trying to get another friend hooked on BPAL, I've dropped the link into her email after letting her smell me a couple times.

Blessings,

Wacky

In the bottle: Wow. Almost instant headache. This is strong and acrid and makes me want to throw myself as far away from it as possible. I can pick out both the almond and the cinnamon. It scares me.

Wet: Almond and...chocolate, which is kinda weird if you think about it. But it is very much almond with cinnamon and an odd chocolate smell. I had feared that this would burn me the instant it touched my skin but no burning yet.

Dry down: Red hots. As it dries, the almond fades away, and I now smell like red hots. I don't like cinnamon. And, yes, here comes the burning. Slight but there. Barely.

Dry: Red hots. Washing off.

In the bottle

spicy hot orange heaven

On

I felt and smelled a warmness, and about 60 seconds later could feel it in my tummy. That wonderful traveling of the spice. I love when hot red chile does that too.

It's first 10 seconds were sheer heaven for me. I like me some orange. And I likey likey the spicy orange. wink.gif

30 minutes

surprisingly, when dry the cinnamon recedes a bit and the neroli becomes more pronounced, providing more of a balance, and therefore even better then the drying down time.

When it's totally dry however it does flatten out. The punch of it, and the orange is gone and now it's mostly a sweet cinnamon scent.

Throw:

Medium

Scent category:

Spicy

Summary

It's like those cinnamon toothpicks I chewed on when I was a kid and other kids would make and sell them in high school. But Inferno smells deeper than that candy cinnamon. There's another layer there of warm golden sweetness under all this hot cinnamon.

I just wanna dive in it.

The experience of putting it on is worth it even if the scent fades a bit.

Purchase again?

Yes. A 5ml.

1-5 rating (5 being best)

Through the packaging, I smell amaretto with a bare hint of cinnamon. And maybe a teeny hint of maraschino cherry. Mmm, appealing!

Once I've opened the bottle : Cinnamon has come to the front and the amaretto smell is underneath now.

On - This dries almost instantly on me, so there's no real point in wet/dry distinction here. This is now nose tingling cinnamon candy. Yes, it does remind one heavily of Red Hots or Big Red gum. It'd be cooler if the other scent stayed more present, but I adore cinnamon, so I'll keep it anyway.

After a few minutes, I think I'm getting the faintest hint of that neroli? Neroli seems to turn to a sweet powderyness on me and that's the faint hint I smell. Makes it smell ever so slightly less like candy.

ETA : The neroli seems to have come out more and more after a while, and after a fairly long while the cinnamon and neroli were about equally strong, which was very nice. I now know what that powdery sweet (but not baby powder ish) note was in Ravenous, and I'm glad it wasn't what I was allergic to from that blend.

Edited by Cagedflame

Spicy HAWT frimp. :D

Imp: Almondy plus cinnamon.

On me, wet: It's like a toasted almond rolled in cinnamon.

On me, dry: That's some kinda gorgeous, there, almond. My nose also tingles.

Impression: I like it AND I like Wrath. Oh dear.

Verdict: Well nuts, I thought I had my perfect cinnamon in Wrath. Now I'm conflicted. :P

Luckily no reaction to this one, but have had the red angry welts from a few other oils so I feel for those of you who had it with this scent. Gorgeous red hot cinnamon, pretty much straight cinnamon. Love it!

In the bottle:

Straight up cinnamon, in fact this is SO cinnamon-y that when I opened my box with about 4 bottles and 15+ imps, this is what I smelled more than anything else.

On me:

There really isn't too much to say about this one, at first, it's a sharp kick of almond - despite the fact that this says "bitter almond" there is nothing bitter about it on me. It's sweet and warm, and foody. Then in comes the cinnamon, it's also quite foody in my opinion, and makes me think of the cinnamon in Three Witches. This is a lot like Three Witches actually, except no clove.

Final note:

I love this. Anyone who loves cinnamon should love this (unless you have something against almond, and then maybe not, but the almond barely lasted on me). Definitely a bottle of this is in order.

EDIT: I should mention that I never got neroli out from this

Edited by Brianne

Wet on me this was originally sharp, hot cinnamon, so strong it made my eyes water when I took a big sniff. After a few minutes I can smell almonds, just sitting there in the background, but they never really get properly involved. The cinnamon continues in a strong, almost medicinal vein. After an hour this settles into a softer creamier feel, but the cinnamon is still the definite controlling factor in the blend.

the most wickedly spicy cinnamon and carnation blend i have come across from lab to date....and the bitter almond....wowza!!

this literally makes my mouth water :P

after drydown, cinnamon basically overwhelms the bitter almond and carnation....if you want a pure and undeniable cinnamon scent, this is the one for you......... :D

In the Bottle or Imp:

Whoa momma, that's some bitter almond there. And yeah, cinnamon.

Wet, on Skin:

This is mad crazy cinnamon with a bitter almond bite... EVIL MARZIPAN. When I sniff this as it's drying, I can feel a tingle in the back of my throat and my teeth literally sting with anticipation of the burn. Whoa.

Drying/Drydown:

Still a mad crazy cinnamon, the almond isn't as potent now. Black pepper?

Over Time/Longterm:

Cinnamon... but still that throat-tickling kind.

Final Verdict?

I cannot imagine wearing this. But, it really is an inferno!

in the bottle: incredibly strong cinnamon and almond.

wet on skin: hot damn! This is such a great cinnamon. The almond tones it down a tiny bit, just barely dimming its flame.

dry: Like a few other people, this has given me a bit of the throat-tickles. But, I'm still in love with this.

I got an imp of this oil from the lovely Amethyst, from the Lush UK forum. :D

Wet I get bitter almonds, a lot of them! It has the metallic touch you get when you smell cyanide. :P

But this almond note doesn't fade away quickly as the others do in my skin, and I really dislike almonds in a perfume. :D

As it dries down I get a bit of cinnamon too, but this scent is strong and bitter almond all the way.

In the bottle: Mmmm..... cinnamon & almond...

First on: Cinnamon, a bit of almond for an almost alcoholic scent, and some smokiness. I'm in love.

Drydown: My arm is a little pink, which is odd for me since I almost always wear strong cinnamon scents. This is tons of cinnamon, and I love it! I still get the almond and the spice, so it's kind of like a liquored red hot. Must get more.

In the vial: cinnamon, almond, and a touch of vanilla sugar

Wet: Cinnamon! I love cinnamon, and this smells like it should be edible. Just the faintest whiff of almond in the background.

Drydown: Cinnamon!

This scent is mouth watering, but disappointingly simple on me. I smell like cinnamon candies, and nothing else.

I like cinnamon quite a lot. I love it when it doesn't get overpowering and I can smell the other notes in a blend (as in Eclipse, which I love to pieces). I don't like pure cinnamon when it's the only note that I can smell though (as in most cinnamon blends, my skin amps up the cinnamon).

When I first apply Inferno, I smell like almond cookies dusted in cinnamon. It's wonderful. Unfortunately, this is one of those cinnamon blends where the cinnamon eats the other notes. In the drydown I smell like pure red hots candies. It stays that way for hours too. Very very strong cinnamon. It's too strong and makes me kind of ill. I wish that the almond or neroli would have stayed with me. :P

My Impression:

Almonds dusted lightly in cinnamon. Something else adds a sweetness to this blend. Lovely as it is, the almond note goes somewhat playdohish on me. Although the cinnamon note more than makes up for this. I think it woud be a lovely room scent, but I think my body chemistry would not agree with it as a perfume. My scale of 1-5....3

Inferno – Out of the bottle this smells like slightly alcoholic Marzipan (Amaretto?) Although there is a very sharp note in there that almost burns the inside of my nose that I can’t quite grasp. As this dries a dry & rather wood-y note appears, similar to the scent of a hot sauna.

I love cinnamon and I love almond (Eclipse is one of my favorites), so I was really looking forward to this one.

I never really got any almond from it though, not even in the imp. Just straight-forward candy cinnamon, as opposed to the spicier foody cinnamons I prefer - I smelled exactly like Big Red gum. :P Pfooey - back to the Eclipse for me.

Inferno was a frimp I got that I had wanted to try, so thanks lab! It's cinnamon/almond on me, about equal in strength, I don't get any of the neroli, and it's not burning my skin or anything. It does remind me of Eclipse, but I think I prefer this.

The cinnamon's not too candyish on me (which is good, since I like real cinnamon but hate red hots and cinnamon gum)...the almond makes it more like cookies or something, as others have said. It's definitely a warm, red, glowing scent and might be nice in a burner for the holidays. I think I'll save the imp until it gets cold out. This is my favorite Dark Element so far.

Edited by isyche