Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The Dark Side of Fire: cinnamon, bitter almond, and neroli. Heavily spiced, torrid, and possibly conflagrant.

Well, I've had a whole parade of BPAL hits lately, so I guess I was due for a scent that just wasn't my thing. In the imp, I get almond and cinnamon; on me, the cinnamon is dominant close to the skin while the throw is milder and a mix of all three notes. There isn't anything wrong with it; I can't even say it's bad on my chemistry. I think it's working as intended. It's just not quite my jam.

Edited by lady_pandora

It's a whole heap of cinnamon and almonds just flaring up from all sides. It really is like Big Red gum, but slightly more intense. It's really not my thing and it kind of bothers my nose. Though for the curious, I will say that for the 15 or so minutes I gave it a chance for before it became too much, it didn't scorch my finnicky skin.

100% Red Hots. In the bottle, and on my skin. I love it something fierce, but sadly it irritates my skin (fitting, considering the candies used to make my entire mouth hurt with their firey goodness.)

This is one I'll hold onto until I can pick up a scent locket or something.

Freshly applied: delicious almond with cinnamon

After 5 minutes: pure cinnamon

20 minutes in: still just pure cinnamon, not complaining, it's just how it is.

My skin tingled quite a bit where I placed this on my arm - use with caution!

Candy-sweet cinnamon sticks! :D I'm using a tester with the slightest amount which is more than enough!(!!!)

Wet: ALMOND EXTRACT - smells like christmas cookies!

Dry: Cinnamon with the almond in the background. The cinnamon smells like opening a fresh box of HEM cinnamon incense sticks.

Too intensely cinnamon to be a foodie scent per se, but definitely a yummy, holiday-y scent. This is much more upbeat and comforting than I expected from the concept, but I love it!

CINNAMON.  Unabashedly, so.  If you want to smell like a walking, talking Atomic Fireball - this is it. 

People upthread are saying "red hots" and yes, that too, but the nasal burn in this is fierce and impressive.  The skin reaction is also a bit fearsome.  My skin is moderately sensitive to cinnamon, and after 15 minutes of wear, this is causing some tingling on the back of my hand, so be warned.

The almond note is what turns this from spice cabinet to CANDY cinnamon.  The neroli makes an appearance about 15 minutes into dry down, and just adds a little maturity to the scent.  Noses in passing would still probably register it as cinnamon candy.  This is not for me, but I'm kinda happy it exists.  For cinnamon lovers, this is a must try.

In the bottle: Sweet almond with a spicy undertone. On, wet: GAAAAAH AAAAH CINNAMON BOMB CINNAMON BOMB! Some minor irritation in the crook of my elbows where I put it. Drydown-think Xmas shop pomander; a LOT of cinnamon, a tiny bit of citrus, and a bit of clove. This one is for everyone who loves a non-gourmand cinnamon (yes, really, despite the almond). A bit strong and Xmas-shoppy on my skin; may wear more in a locket and/or layered with something that can shove the cinnamon around a bit and get it back in its corner (thinking Clove Cig or Snake Oil).

UPDATE:  Today I layered it with Thorns Clove Cigarette and Inferno now smells the way that I wished it smelled out of the bottle.  Much improved!  Would probably layer very well with other tobacco and/or dark musk scents also.

Received this as a free imp with an order.  

In bottle: bitter and cherry cough syrup.  Unfortunately this does not bode well!

On skin: Still just very bitter and artificial to me :( If I think hard about it I can get a sense of Hot Tamales, but I think it's just not working with my skin.  

After a few hours: it quieted down into a gentle cinnamon, but I think it's not right for me.

Received as an imp. Straight up cinnamon, leveled with almond, then faint neroli. I'd probably pass because I'm not a cinnamon fan.

I've been looking for a nice cinnamon-forward scent for a while now, and when I received this as a frimp, I thought I might have finally found it.

In the bottle, it's a blast of pure, beautiful cinnamon.
Wet, it's spiced almond. Very nice, even if it's not what I had hoped for.
Dry, it completely turns into soap 😭

It also turns to soap on my mom, who usually amps cinnamon into oblivion.

I'll keep it for the scent locket, but my search will have to continue...

In the bottle: WHEW, hello, cinnamon! I feel like a cinnamon stick grew arms and punched me in the face. Not getting any almond or neroli.

Wet on skin: Red Hots candy. Full stop Red Hots candy.

Drydown: Much less intense Red Hots. Still no almond or neroli.

After 30-60 minutes: Hmm, I can barely smell it, but there's some almond, finally. Definitely not my favorite frimp I've gotten.

An 2004 GC scent I never got around to trying! At last. It’s…cinnamon red hots!

But also a lot of vetiver. Oh wait, the notes are saying bitter almond. I guess that’s what it is. It’s so dark and earthy, like coffee grounds. A nice combination with the cinnamon. Not getting any neroli. The cinnamon is a little too much for me, as I probably always knew it would be, but I’m glad I got to try another OG BPAL scent anyway.