Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The Dark Side of Fire: cinnamon, bitter almond, and neroli. Heavily spiced, torrid, and possibly conflagrant.

First of all, I'd like to say that when Elizabeth warned it was "possibly conflagrant", she was not kidding. I had to open the imp with my teeth, and when I did, the fumes scorched the pores of my face. I was a little scared for a minute -- "I'm letting this soak into my skin?" -- but it was fine on my arm, no trouble at all. Just don't put it on sensitive skin and everything will cool.

The inital impression is CINNAMON! I mean, cinnamon *attack*. It is strong, strong, strong, and I can't smell anything else under it. After about an hour, though, the almond starts coming out, and later, the neroli. Cinnamon remains the dominant note but weakens as the scent mellows, so you get cinnamon with a nice spicy undercurrent after on drydown.

Overall, I really like this scent. It's nice and strong and spicy. If it's what you're looking for you can't go wrong here :P

Okay. This had the same effect that Eclipse had. It burned so bad and left my neck red. So I'm not sure what's in it that had this effect on me. They both have cinnamon and bitter almond but other oils that have cinnamon in them, I was okay with. It's too bad because I really love the smell.

Wet: Almond! I smell like a cookie.

The almond dies down very quickly, thankfully. I really don't like smelling like baked goods. It's gone to a bitter, bright cinnamon. Nice.

I've smelled this before.

And I've pegged the scent. It's the cinnamon almond scent that permeates the Dicken's Faire, but less sweet.

The initial flood of almond makes this seem innocuous enough, but the palm of my hand (it was the "toughest" skin I could think of) has a large red welt to go with the testing of this scent. I tried right next to that spot after adding some apricot kernel oil, and all seems to be well.

On, it's super-sweet, cinnamon, and orange Tang - and by that, I mean the breakfast drink. Must be the neroli, which in my experience with scents other than Beth's, was always sharp and bitter; hers seems to avoid that.

Spiced orange cider is all I can think of. It's nice, but it's not something I want to smell like. Would definitely use this in my house at Christmas, though.

I am a cinnamon lovin' girl. This was the only scent with cinnamon I didn't own from Beth (I think)....so I ordered it without smelling it. At first, I thought it was too strong and heavy on the cinnamon, but this doesn't get going until the drydown. The almond starts to come out, but yet the cinnamon stays right in sync with it. I barely detected the neroli. I loved this. It's not for you, however, if you don't like cinnamon.

In the vial, Inferno smelled like a stronger, more aggressive Eclipse.

On, the almond disappeared immediately and gave way to a potent, straightforward cinnamon scent. I could hardly smell anything else, maybe a faint orangey note from the neroli.

It is very nice (I love my cinnamon so I knew I would like this), but I found this oil a little one-dimensional compared to Beth's other creations.

Oddly for such a strong smell, it did not last long on my skin. It should be great as a room scent, I will try burning it tonight.

First Impression: Torrid sums it up perfectly. Whoa a strong whiff out of the bottle. It came to me.

Second Impression: The almond and cinnamon notes in this are truly delectable. The neroli keeps it from being foody.

Final Analysis: Feelin' hot-hot-hot. The almonds go away too fast. I adore this cinnamon note. Really nice, saucy.

Edited by andrabell

i applied a small amount on my arm with the dab stick, and i sniffed it, and said, "mmmm! i LIKE it!" then i got some traces of oil on my face from sniffing too closely and they burned and i had run out of the room to wash my face. after 5 minutes, my arm started to burn and i had a raised red welt where the oil was.

i might try this as a room scent, but i learned to fear and respect cinnamon!

inferno is a very apt name!

This smelled so complex in the bottle, and I for some reason don't have any reaction to cinnamon oil (I usually have very sensitive skin), so I was very excited to try this one out.

However, any cinnamon oil turns overpowering and chemical on me, and I just smell like Fireballs or Red Hots or Big Red gum.

As a room scent this would be nice, but it seems so cinnamon-y that anything else in the mix gets sent to the background.

In the bottle, this smelled ... well, the thing I thought of was cleaning fluid with a cinnamon kick. I was dubious. On me, it first turned my skin reddish, probably because of the cinnamon.

And then, for the first 10 minutes, that was ALL I smelled. Cinnamon, cinnamon, cinnamon. Okay, but nothing special.

It then turned into a weird candy smell -- think floral/sweet with cinnamon. I've heard Big Red gum used to describe this, and I think it's accurate. Anyhow, after about 2 hours the smell was entirely gone. No loss, since I wasn't caring for it anyhow. Sad, though, because I was really looking forward to this one.

Maybe I'll use it as a room scent. It was okay, although not fantastic.

Cheers,

Jonobie

I agree with the above reviews...I love this one. The spiciness is amazing.

It smells gorgeous on me. :P

However, beware the cinnamon. Please be careful where you put it. I also ended up burning my neck with this one. :D

Ow.

In the bottle, wet spicey almonds.

On me: Whoa, smell the cinnamon. Gorgeous scent! Hot and spicey and... ow... ow...hey OW!

Conflagrant wasn't an idle warning. Unfortunately I forgot as the red welts in my cleavage, behind each ear and on my wrists can attest.

I now know what a chemical burn feels like - which is truely sad as I adored this scent. Ah well, swapping it goes as I'm just not willing to go through that much pain for perfume - even one of Beths :D

:P

In the vial: The bitter almond hits you like a brick wall! But I like it.

Wet: The almond fades away almost immediately and I am left with a nice sweet cinnamon smell. Kinda like Big Red gum or Red Hots.

On drydown: Well, it didn't really get to drydown. It faded away to nothingness within 5 minutes, no exaggeration! Must be my chemistry. *sigh* I will try it again in a few days.

I was hopeful about this one because I liked the idea of almonds and cinnamon together, but I much prefer Three Witches as a cinnamon scent, plus--it's much longer lasting.

This was a freebie from the Lab.

In the vial: Cinnamon red-hots.

Wet: Still smells like cinnamon red-hots. I don't really get the almonds or neroli. And... hmm. My wrists are starting to itch. I only swiped once per wrist and rubbed them together as I usually do. Am I allergic to something in this, I wonder?

One minute later: AIEEEEEEEEE! It's burning! It's burning! Ow ow ow OW!

Final thoughts: I admit I didn't keep this one on long. Once the burning began, it just got hotter and hotter and quite painful. I ran to the bathroom and washed it off. I had red welts rising up on my wrists where the oil had been. Conflagration is about right, I think. O_O I don't know what caused this. I've worn other blends with cinnamon in them & I've never had this reaction before.

Edited by inkstone

i wish i had taken a picture from the time i tried this on. it has since left my humble abode and found a new home, but uh.. seriously.

one morning, i decided that i was just in a cinnamony mood. i've never had any problem with cinnamon before, and i wanted it to waft a lot, so i put it on my cleavage. a lot of it.

10 minutes later, my boobs were on FIRE. i couldn't stop scratching it all day. when i got home, i took a good look at it, and my entire cleavage area was completely burned. it was wonderful, really.

overall, this smells nice for most of the day. i just love the smell of cinnamon. unfortunately, i don't really like it when it's paired with almond, and neroli is one of my least favorite notes. ah well.

I'm with Lorajc, I absolutely LOVE the Cinnamon scents. This is gorgeous. I can smell the almond in the vial, but it's all about the cinnamon when it goes on my skin. Luckily cinnamon does not burn my skin. If you tend to have really sensitive skin, I would recommend that you use a scent locket for this one.

One minute later:  AIEEEEEEEEE!  It's burning!  It's burning!  Ow ow ow OW!

Final thoughts: I admit I didn't keep this one on long.  Once the burning began, it just got hotter and hotter and quite painful.  I ran to the bathroom and washed it off.  I had red welts rising up on my wrists where the oil had been.  Conflagration is about right, I think.

this was my experience exactly.......i was in so much pain!

pity really because I did like the scent.....I might try diluting it next time I'm feeling brave enough to try it!

I have zero problems with cinnamon -- I can put it in my cleavage, behind my ears, on my back, wherever I desire. Not so much as an itch.

Thank goodness, or I'm sure I'd be on fire from Inferno.

In the vial, it's all sweet (?!?) almond and cinnamon.

On me, it's all cinnamon with a touch of orange blossom and a hint of almond way down at the bottom. However, cinnamon tends to wear off quickly, so I'd have to slather it on like a madwoman, I think.

This is one side of what I love so much about Three Witches, but, alas, the trio of witches lasts longer and leaves a bigger impression than Inferno.

I don't have problems with cinnamon oil either - no itching or burning from this one.

Initial wet scent - almonds on the attack! Strong, STRONG almond. I'm not a big fan of almond.

Drydown - smells just like Big Red gum. Nice, but I prefer Hamadryad's woodsy cinnamon.

Ow ow ow ow! This left my sensitive neck burning. I washed it off, foiled, but left it on the backs of my hands. This didn't burn, but my skin did swell and turn BRIGHT red in the spots where I dabbed the perfume. This is pretty unfortunate because I like the smell!

In the bottle - cinnamony almonds.

On me - initially very almondy

Dry down - The cinnamon (setting my skin on fire) comes out very strongly. It smells like bright red cinnamon akin to Red Hots and the like.

First sniff from the bottle- Woh Mama, this stuff is on fire!

After 10 minutes- At first I smelled red hots and almonds, but after a few minutes the almond smell went away. Now it is just red hots..and boy is this stuff HOT! :P I usually don't react to cinnamon but this one had my skin burning.

After 30 minutes- Burning hot cinnamon. ...it smells kind of like those cinnamon scented pine cones they sell at Christmas time.

Summery- I lovelovelove Inferno! (No surprise since cinnamon is my favorite note) I can't wear this on my skin but I still want a big bottle.

Okay, so here I am complaining in other reviews that my skin devours cinnamon - many scents that people describe as having cinnamon in them are just lost on me -and now here is a scent that is ALL CINNAMON and well - it's just too much.

As others have said, this smells exactly like Red-Hots. I love eating them, but I just don't want to smell like cinnamon candy.

This is just sweet cinnamon on me, and after an hour or so, there's sort of an almost mossy smell lurking in the background (where this is coming from I have no idea) that makes this EVEN WORSE on me.

I so should have reas these reviews before testing this scent :D

I absolutely love the smell in the imp vial and so really wanted to try it out... without thinking twice I swiped the scent all over my dellocatage (sp?) and literally withing 10 seconds my skin was firey red and itchy :P

I went downstairs and Dad advised me to wash the area - I did and within 45 minutes my skin was back to normal.

It's such a shame as I love the cinnamon smell so much - anyone have any other recommendations for me to try?

Also, any recommendations for scents to avoid if you're a bit sensitive?

Holy spicy cinnamon marzipan, batman!! I don't smell any of the neroli at first impact, and only a hint later on in the drydown, when it sweetens up slightly. Inferno reminds me more of a hot-tempered little matchstick than its namesake :P but that's all well and good :D: wouldn't want to scare the boys away, now would we? Inferno is a very simple, straightfoward scent, but nicely constructed; not for me, a I could see a Red Hots fan loving this.