Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
wickedgoddess

Beltane 2005-06

One of the holiest days in the Pagan calendar, Beltane [May Day, Cetsamhain, Floralia and Roodmas... also, Beltaine, Bealtaine, Bealtuinn, Beletene, La Bheltine] is the Day of Baal's Fire, and marks the midpoint of Sol's path between the Vernal Equinox and Summer Solstice. In Druidic tradition, need-fires were set atop hills in a symbolic gesture of bringing the Sun's light down to Earth. Celebrants danced around the fires in harmony with the Sun's seeming movement through the sky, and passed eadar dà theine Bhealltuinn, between the Fires of Beltane, to purify themselves. In Scotland, all hearth fires were extinguished, and the flames from the need-fires were used to rekindle their flames, bringing blessings and good fortune into the household. It doesn't matter where your faith lies, Beltane is sacred to us simply because we're human. It is a celebration of new growth, rebirth, of the fertility of our land, our spirits and our bodies, and is a reminder of the joy in simply being alive. Celebrate life! Wind some flowers into your hair, dab a little oil behind each ear, toss the first petals of springtime onto your yard, and bless your garden the old fashioned way!

Origins - Purchased 4/24/05 at Black Broom

Wet - Greenish Floral.

Dry - I am getting jasmine along with some other florals. I'm not much of a floral fan, but it is a really nice mix. As it dries the jasmine fades, leaving a perfectly blended floral. There might be some ylang ylang in here, but I can't be sure. There's something darker underneath, either a light musk or amber. This reminds me of Queen Mab, in terms of being a light floral with a smoky undertone, but the undertone is more subtle. It's a green scent, which makes me think there is something herbal in it, but if there is I can't recongnize it. This is a nice, clean, light scent, perfect for Spring.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being the best, this rates a 4

ETA - I am wearing this a second time today, and I had to raise the original rating I had given it. I love this! It's so pretty, and makes me feel grounded and happy and one with the universe. An absolutely lovely scent.

I purchased Beltane at BB on the 24th of this month.

It is an interesting scent in my opinion. I agree that there is definately something herbal, I also get a bright bit of citrus that feels familiar to me. I'd like to guess that it is lime as it reminds me a bit of envy w/o the mint or whitechapel w/o the powdery bit. The citrus is not strong at all, just light and happy, sunshiney if that makes sense. Mingled amongst it are white, light florals and herbs. Not to heavy at all. This scent feels very clean to me, a tad soapy even, but in a pretty way. I agree that there seems to be something grounding it and would think that it's a white musk. I get a similiar feeling as I do when wearing Dorian, although beltane is more interesting and floral.

I think this will be a popular scent in the way that Alice and Dorian are popular. It's totally different, but it's happy, clean, uplifting.

hmmm it is definitely a spring floral. i get alot of hyacith, possibly tulip? and carnation.

wet it is alot of spring floral, fresh spring flowers

as it dries it becomes very much carnation on me there is a hint of the bulby flowers still but it isn't as strong. it is very femenine and graceful smelling. all in all just simply beautiful (and i am not usually a huge floral fan other then some roses and violets)

First Impression: Pink and green goodness.

Second Impression: This is most definitely a "make love in the sun, covered in fresh flower petals" sort of scent. It's bright, fresh, clean, green, pink, ALIVE! The drydown is lush and soft.

Final Analysis: A perfect scent to say goodbye to winter and celebrate the lovely, long days of spring.

This blend is sooooooooooooooo perfect right now in Minnesota! PERFECT!

We rejoice in the warmer weather. Outdoors doing all kinds of things. To me, this is riding my bike through my neighborhood, past all those that have mowed the lawn, past the ladies planting in the front of their houses, past all the sweaty kids playing with dolls and bikes as the sunshine and flowers create a perfume known only to 11 year olds.

I love it. I needed this oil.

I am grateful for the skill of Beth and the crew for making me happy with a lil blue bottle.

eta: a dabbed a bit of this over my skin where Graveyard Dirt was hanging out and it is super! Now Graveyard dirt smell like a greenhouse. Just like one.

Edited by SoapyRN

I got this today...which is the first warm day in NY for what seems like forever. The sun is shining, the scent of flowers perfumes the air, birds are twirbling, and its a gorgeous out. Then I get my bottle of Beltane, and open it....and somehow, the lab managed to put today in a bottle.

in the bottle- Spring! No, really...green, light and sunny.

wet- herbally, but very light. I don't get any flowers, but I do get the feeling like I'm planting flowers...sunwarmed earth, damp flower bulbs, warm weather.

Dry- i get the same green note from water of notre dame as I do from this.

I'm glad I don't get any flowers from it :P All in all, a wonderful spring-y scent.

So far, this scent is my favorite LE. An amazing, wonderful creation.

Edited by laochodia

Beltane... slather it on and prepare to dance around the Maypole!

This Festival scent is just bursting with the joy of The Goddess, the Sarcred Rituals of Beltane, and all it's merrymaking!!!

I think there may even be a Faerie in my bottle :P

This blend is BRIGHT: the flowers of Spring... Tulips, maybe some Daffodils, definitely fresh, uncut wild grass, and some spice (or at least I think I detect some spicy goodness! In fact, I'm sure I detect some smudging type spices and herbs).

It's also a slightly watery scent, which makes me think of the showers of April that bring the May flowers. But as a whole, it does have a fresh cut bouquet scent. Perhaps it's the fresh cut bouquet of flowers making up a gorgeous hand fasting head wreath. Or maybe this is the scent wafting from the floral offerings of Beltane. The possibilities are endless. Then again, this is Beltane we're talking about here. Fresh. New beginnings. Awakenings. Sunshine. Celebration!

And I have to add that I think this is one heck of a sexy little blend. I did not think it would be, but, oh mama, is it ever.

I'm not big on florals, but this one... yeah, I love her. The May Queen is alive and well, and swimming around in this amazing Black Phoenix Blend!!!

-Leslie

Edited by MissAnthropy

In the bottle

lovely spring and summer flowers

On

Initially a gorgeous floral. Fruity and fresh! Oh my God the fruitiness combined with whatever that green fresh note is, makes for an indescribabley lovely scent.

Just as Mabon had those thick, dark, fall time notes, Beltane has the fresh, sunshiney, fruity, florals. My nose cannot tell whether the fruitiness is coming from a citrus blend or a berry blend, so I'm going to guess both.

30 minutes

This has not changed one iota, it's still a lovely fruity floral. It has not turned strange or anything negative on my skin. Yay!

Throw:

Light medium

Scent category:

Fruity/floral

Summary

I'm a picky floral person but this floral is beautiful.

Whe it dries it smells wonderfully citrussy and floral.

There is nothing too harsh about this and nothing off smelling or anything negative the whole time it was on my arm.

Purchase again?

Yes. a 10ml.

1-5 rating, (5 being best).

Beltane reminds me of both High John The Conqueror and Mystery -- it's got the floral-herbal of High John, and the smoky depth of Mystery.

That being said, Beltane is extremely strong on me -- there's got to be a bit of High John essence in this because I'm getting a high-pitched screaming High John on my skin, along with a touch of floral and a bit of smoke down at the very bottom.

It's interesting, but not exactly my favorite, and I think it's what's making me sneezy. But it is quite appropriate for the name and intent. :P

I Love Beltane so I wanted this oil so bad.

In the bottle it's vert pretty light floral, but not over powering.

As soon as it his my skin it did some funky turned rotten thing. It smelled like rotten flowers on me.

:P I wanted this one to be good. Hopefully it will find a good home.

In the bottle: Green floral.

Wet: Light florals. Something vaguely citrus on here, maybe lime? It has that same tone to it. It's definitely not lemon and I don't think it's orange. It's very springlike.

Drydown: There is definitely something herbal in here. And it's a note that's in Vinland. I'm almost positive. Vinland is a stronger herbal while Beltane is a stronger floral but they're cousins on me.

Final thoughts: This is nice and soft. I'm not sure if I'm in love with it though. I'll have to think on it and see.

I was so bloody excited about this I ordered two bottles - and I"m glad I did. A bright, fresh, spring time floral with tons of green. Tulips? Carnations? not sure what sort of flowers but this is definitly fresh and green and light enough to not be overpowering. It's not a white floral, it doesn't waft around, but it is gorgeous and refreshing and very...well.... spring. Mmmmmm.

Bright fresh, but light floral.

Mmm, this is a wonderful and I don't like florals. After I first put it on, for a few minutes, I thought "oh, no, not for me...", but it settles into a light and pretty floral, a soft and gentle crushed flower scent. I can't pick up any individual notes, it is so well blended.

I like this, it is a perfect spring floral. I may not wear it often, but I will wear it. :P

This was so very very floral on me, I almost couldn't take it. I'm not a huge floral fan, although I like individual flower notes. But this is...something different. Something special. Beltane was a scent I was prepred to be "eh" on, but it had other ideas.

While I was inside the house, it was a pretty, low key, not so special floral mix. But when I went out into the sun? It just blossomed (heh) on my skin. It became rich and warm and enveloping. Really gorgeous, like flowers opening to the heat of the spring sun. I don't know how often I'll wear it, or if I'll keep the whole 5 ml, but I'm glad I tried it.

wet: Beltane is light, floral, green, citrusy, springy, pretty! very nice.

drying: Oh wait, I strongly suspect there's a lot of jasmine in this...it's coming out stronger on my skin and doing that funky rice thing it does. damn.

I love the wet scent, but jasmine hates me. I think it needs more testing before I decide what to do with my bottle.

Beltane is gorgeous. It's great in the bottle, great wet and great dry. In fact, it doesn't change much at all on me, except to get yummier as it wears on (and on, it lasts forever). I honestly can't identify any of the florals in this but is smells like hundreds of springtime flowers rolled into one. I'm not getting any green at all, it's just flower petals with no leaves, stems or grass. No herbs either! About the only flower I would chance to guess is daffodil. I'm not getting any of the stock, heavier flowers used in a lot of BPAL florals, like jasmine, gardenia or rose, nothing heavy and cloying. This is light and refreshing, pink, white and yellow flowers. And there is has to be fruit in this, something white-fleshed and juicy, like pear or cherimoya. No citrus. I love it. Love love love. :P

Wearing this gives me a sense of tranquil joy, like watching a baby deer sipping at a stream in the springtime.

Initial Sniff: A beautiful green floral.

Wearing: Mmm... this is spring in a bottle. This stays fairly true to the bottle scent on my skin for the first hour or so, then it starts to get sweeter and warmer - more pink, less green.

Final Impressions: This is so beautiful. It just captures the season perfectly!

I tested this once and while I was very impressed with it I decided to pass on it...there are very few light, airy scents that I can wear and I think I probably have more than enough right now.

My first impressions were that it was light, airy, crisp and clean -- almost like a less perfumey Leanan Sidhe, but more lush and warm. It is one of the rare light florals that I do like -- most smell like nothing to me, fade instantly and leave little impression. It did not turn to powder and did not give me a perfume headache, which is also a very unusual feat! It deepens with wear a little -- I couldn't identify any individual floral notes though there was a passing resemblance to something in Vinland or ... well, anything floral pretty much all smells the same to me unless I can pick out a strong rose note, or a headache-inducing stab of jasmine, and I didn't get either of those from this.

Gorgeous, but it's a rare floral that I can actually wear for more than a test run so Beltane will be on its merry way!

Smells like a garden in late spring after a cleansing rain, with the spring flowers in riotous bloom. I think I smell tulips, and maybe some jasmine. (inhales deeply)

Beltane is a fresh, green smelling floral. I'm not normally a big fan of straightforward floral scents, but Beltane is a floral masterpiece. If you are a lover of floral scents, you will adore Beltane!

This is a very interesting floral blend. It smells diverse and complex, yet light and springy at the same time. For a while, all I smelled was jasmine, which I am not particularly fond of, so I was certain I was going to swap this away. But now there is a spicier floral in the forefront and the jasmine has kind of drifted off to the side and I'm not sure what the fate of this bottle will be. :P

Definitely need to do further testing, and to see how this one continues to morph throughout the day.

First Sniff:

Flowery and fresh and spring. Is that honeysuckle? Jasmine...Beltane definitely smells like what its namesake would be.

Wet:

Ooooooooooooo. The flowers are a bit strong on first application but they smell divine. It instantly cheered me up.

Dry:

The overpowering flowers are gone! It's a wonderful sparkling greenish white flower that reminds me of a secret garden of sorts. Pretty good staying power as well, it's lasted through 3 dishwashings.

Aftermath:

Another oil that perfectly captures a sabbat! A WINNAR IS BELTANE.

I feel like I'm missing something with this blend. My nose simply does not know what to make of it.

Initially, I got big, gorgeous floral. POW! Very nice. It made me very excited to try it on. But.... there is something herbally green in the background - eucalyptus? A touch of mint?

On, a musky scent emerges. The herbal element is still present. It's not bad at all, but it's not quite right.

And then - gone. Not even a trace left. Same thing happened with Mata Hari and Wanda. Perhaps sexy/musky/fruity/floral cannot exist at the same time on my skin?

:P

Like inkstone, I also immediately thought of Vinland when I first uncapped Beltane. I agree that it shares some notes but is a stronger floral. It’s very sunny and fresh, like a field of wildflowers and tall grass.

Beltane is perfect for springtime, and I find it almost impossible to be in a bad mood when wearing this blend, which is a wonderful side-effect! It’s like pure sunshine.

A riotous profusion of florals! Sadly, I too get the jasmine note, which is why Beltane is not for me -- and I too can perceive a similarity to Vinland (which made an unexplicably citrusy impression on me). But on the right person, Beltane could be really, really gorgeous.

I swapped with a wonderful formite to get an imp of Beltane and I'm glad I did.

The scent was a strong floral in the imp and once applied to the skin my impression was of fresh blossoms, there was something similar to the Apple Blossom single-note I have pure and sweet with a hint of nectar. As the scent aged the green notes became much more pronounced. I can understand the connection between this green and the green in Water of Notre Dame, it's like that but overlaid with spring flowers. As WoND is one of my favorite scents I must say this is very nice.

It's a lovely spring scent, and although I didn't catch it in time to order a bottle, I'm glad to have an imp of it.