Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Morrighana

Pronouncing "BPAL" and scent names!

okay, after having read through (from both directions) at least 2/3 of the posts and not finding it... and then using the "search topic" function and it not coming up...

Et Lux Fuit

I'm good with Et and Lux

but I'm curious as to how Fuit is supposed to sound

Back when Et Lux Fuit was released I asked a friend of mine, who knows a fair amount of Latin, how to pronounce it. If I remember correctly it was "fweet".

okay, after having read through (from both directions) at least 2/3 of the posts and not finding it... and then using the "search topic" function and it not coming up...

Et Lux Fuit

I'm good with Et and Lux

but I'm curious as to how Fuit is supposed to sound

Back when Et Lux Fuit was released I asked a friend of mine, who knows a fair amount of Latin, how to pronounce it. If I remember correctly it was "fweet".

that's really close to what I thought it was. I recently acquired a bottle and wanted to wear it to work tomorrow, but I also wanted to be able to pronounce it correctly.

thanks so much!!!

nanshe: is nan-SHE wrong?

the search function does funny things with me so apologies if i'm missing a post. i am finally getting to enable my housemate and would hate to be mispronouncing during it.

Edited by carbide

nanshe: is nan-SHE wrong?

the search function does funny things with me so apologies if i'm missing a post. i am finally getting to enable my housemate and would hate to be mispronouncing during it.

I think it's more like one syllable . . . don't think about the 'e'. :P

I pronounce Faiza so that the "fai" rhymes with "eye". I have no idea if that's correct.

For R'lyeh, I think most Cthulhu names have a little bit of leeway. I pronounce it like Rill-yeh (where the "e" is a schwa). I think "Rilly-uh" is also a good guess.

However, it looks both of those might be wrong, if my internet trawling has found something accurate. I found these recommended pronunciations: Roo-lee-ah or Rill-AYE-eh

Here's a question.

Am I the only one who pronounces BPAL as a word (Bee-Pal), but pronounces TAL as initials (Tee-Ay-El)? Somehow, pronouncing TAL as 'tal' sounds odd...

Edited by yeahbutnobut

I say "tal" (rhymes with "pal"). It does sound weird, though, so whenever I say it out loud to someone else, I follow it up with "um, Twilight Alchemy Lab, you know." But in my head, it's just "tal."

i spell out both of those names.

in fact, the first time i heard someone say b-pal i didn't know what they were talking about.

it's always been b-p-a-l and t-a-l to me.

of course, that's how i say my username too... h-k-h-m. i must just like initials.

Here's a question.

Am I the only one who pronounces BPAL as a word (Bee-Pal), but pronounces TAL as initials (Tee-Ay-El)? Somehow, pronouncing TAL as 'tal' sounds odd...

No, I do the same thing. :D Bee-pee-ay-el is too cumbersome for me. I'd rather just say "Black Phoenix". Bee-pal makes sense, because there's no word that sounds like it, and unless you're randomly interjecting perfume into a conversation that was revolving around your apiarist buddy, it shouldn't cause any context confusion. :P But I spell out TAL because it's weird as one syllable, and easily confused with the word "tall".

Edited by naeelah

I tend to always just say "Black Phoenix", or "The Lab" if it's somebody I've talked to about it before. And I think my perfume selection has been geared to getting stuff I know how to pronounce...I had to look up "Loviatar" before I would wear it :P

I don't really ever talk about TAL, just "the Trading Post" and "BEE-pal" (occasionally "the Lab").

Ok, those savvy to Ancient Greek, classics majors, linguists, and the like -

What's the proper pronunciation for Sybaris? Which syllable is stressed?

And for that matter, Sybarite.

Also, Aeaea is driving me batty

I, too, am tempted to say it A-e-a-e-a like E-i-e-i-o, 'cause that's the only way I can remember the spelling.

But I say it "I(long) -a (long)-yah"

Edited by crimescenecleanup

I think it's Sih-BAR-us and SIH-buh-rite. But I don't know why I think that. My brain is great at retaining everything but its source materials. :P

i spell out both of those names.

in fact, the first time i heard someone say b-pal i didn't know what they were talking about.

it's always been b-p-a-l and t-a-l to me.

of course, that's how i say my username too... h-k-h-m. i must just like initials.

I say B-pal because I'd rather be a friend of Bees that covered in Bee Pee.

COVERED IN BEEEEEEEEEEES!

I think it's Sih-BAR-us and SIH-buh-rite. But I don't know why I think that. My brain is great at retaining everything but its source materials. :P

I have no basis for why I think this, but I say both of those the same way. =)

Any hints on how to pronounce Aelopile or Antikythera?

Aye-low-pile and Anti-kye-theh(with a soft th- sound)-rah are how I've been pronouncing them.

Of course, that doesn't mean it's right :P

Oh, and for the post a few above, I remember reading on the forum somewhere that Aeaea is pronounce ee-ee-ah.

Sybaris and sybarite both have the accent on the first syllable. SIB-uh-ris, SIB-uh-ritt.

And Antikythera = An-tee-KITH-er-uh.

I think you're right about Aeaea = eye-AY-uh.

Also, Fuit = FOOeet, roughly, all smooshed together into one syllable.

I expect that Aelopile = AY-low-pile is a reasonable Anglicised way to pronounce it, but the last syllable would have a more Greek vowel in the original -- maybe "AY-low-peel" rather than "-pile"?

Ouch. French is really not good for English-speaker-friendly phonetics.

Belle Époque is roughly "bell eh-poke"

but

L'Heure Verte is really hard to transliterate because it's got that gargly French "r" in it. Roughly, "loor vairt". However, both the "r" sounds are the guttural "r" like you never find in English, almost like an "h" or very soft "k" in the back of your throat. Sorry I can't be more useful here.

L'Heure Verte is really hard to transliterate because it's got that gargly French "r" in it. Roughly, "loor vairt". However, both the "r" sounds are the guttural "r" like you never find in English, almost like an "h" or very soft "k" in the back of your throat. Sorry I can't be more useful here.

That sound sometimes crops up in Hebrew, assuming I have any idea what you're talking about. :P My biggest beef with French is never knowing which letters they've decided to pronounce.

Do you think I could get away with regular English rrrs? Or would that sound worse?

Here's a question.

I was just coming here to ask this! I say bee-pal, but then I say tee-ay-el. It's weird, and I don't know why, but I just can't say "tal"!

Yeah, like the Hebrew one except a little more forward and much softer. Maybe you could even elide it and say it like a "British-accent" missing r sound. THe American one would be gross.

Haha, if I'd known you spoke Hebrew I'd have referred to that in the first place though...

Edited by septima_pica

Here's a question.

I was just coming here to ask this! I say bee-pal, but then I say tee-ay-el. It's weird, and I don't know why, but I just can't say "tal"!

I just pronounce it tal, lol I do pronounce bpal like b-pal though, so I guess I'm just lazy. :P