Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Morrighana

Pronouncing "BPAL" and scent names!

Forgive me if this has already been covered, but does anyone else pronounce "BPAL" like "Bee-pal"? I hate spelling out acronyms and Bee-pall is easier to say, but I'll feel like an idiot if no one else calls it that. :-P

All of my friends and I pronounce it like that when we talk to each other. :P

Forgive me if this has already been covered, but does anyone else pronounce "BPAL" like "Bee-pal"? I hate spelling out acronyms and Bee-pall is easier to say, but I'll feel like an idiot if no one else calls it that. :-P

That's how I say it in my head, but if I was talking I'd probably just end up saying "the lab" because I don't like spelling out acronyms either. So at least you're not the only idiot :D

I call it that too!
All of my friends and I pronounce it like that when we talk to each other. :P

Thanks guys! I'm glad to hear that I'm not alone in my pronunciation. :D

just a quick one: how do you pronounce 'faiza'?

i pronounce it fah-EE-zuh but then heard someone pronounce it like it rhymes with eye-zuh. so now i'm wondering.

For Faiza, I pronounce it fay-ZEE-uh

Edit: Improperly spelled Faiza! Thank Dymphna.

Edited by Fright

(:P But it's Faiza, not Fazia.)

Whenever I read it, I think Fah-ee-za, but with the "ee" sort of clipped. More like Fah-e'-za, maybe?

I call it that too!

Me three. :P

Me four! Although as none of my friends (whom I know IRL, I mean) know what BPAL is or what it stands for, they're a bit bemused when I refer to "My bee-pal stash".

I hope they don't think it's a new euphemism for crack or something :P

Me four! Although as none of my friends (whom I know IRL, I mean) know what BPAL is or what it stands for, they're a bit bemused when I refer to "My bee-pal stash".

I hope they don't think it's a new euphemism for crack or something :D

It might as well be. :P

I call it Bee-Pahl too. When I am not calling it "THEE presh-usssss," that is.

I also call Schlafende Baigneuse "Schnafelapagus". :P Hope that helps!

I know you're not necessarily looking to be corrected, but I love the way Schlafende Baigneuse slides of the tongue, so for those of you with no French:

"Shla-fend Ban Use", with a little bit of an "euh" sound after the fend-- the classic schwa.

I hope they don't think it's a new euphemism for crack or something :D

It might as well be. :P

Ooh I call it that too sometimes. But not often, my boyfriend looked sad and said "I thought I was your precious...?" last time I said it. :D

Is that anything like, "kittens and THEE glitz" :P I say BEE-pal too. In fact, I kinda assumed everybody does.

Is that anything like, "kittens and THEE glitz" :P I say BEE-pal too. In fact, I kinda assumed everybody does.

Well, I thought it was pretty simple but this was what I found at the beginning of this thread:

I saw the title of this thread and thought - well, s'easy... Bee-Pee-Ay-Ell :D

And then thought that maybe I was the only one who saw "BPAL" and thought "Bee-Pal" instead of "Bee-Pee-Ay-Ell". :-P I'm a silly.

Is that anything like, "kittens and THEE glitz" :D I say BEE-pal too. In fact, I kinda assumed everybody does.
Well, I thought it was pretty simple but this was what I found at the beginning of this thread:
I saw the title of this thread and thought - well, s'easy... Bee-Pee-Ay-Ell :D
And then thought that maybe I was the only one who saw "BPAL" and thought "Bee-Pal" instead of "Bee-Pee-Ay-Ell". :-P I'm a silly.
In my mind it's Bee-pal, but then, I'm Spanish and we read acronyms as word as long as it fits our sound system. I say in my mind because if I ever speak to anybody about the lab it's as "los perfumitos" or "las muestrecitas": the perfumies, or the samplies, like "the doggies" "the kitties". :P
How is R'lyeh pronounced?
I'd say RR-lee-eh. If you can read French, kind of like R-lié.

In my mind it's Bee-pal, but then, I'm Spanish and we read acronyms as word as long as it fits our sound system. I say in my mind because if I ever speak to anybody about the lab it's as "los perfumitos" or "las muestrecitas": the perfumies, or the samplies, like "the doggies" "the kitties". :P

I LOVE "los perfumitos"! I never took Spanish, but Italian does something similar with "ini" (like "linguini", little tongues). I love those diminutive endings. :D

How 'bout Sudha Segara?

I've been saying it pretty straight forwardly: SOO-duh Seh-GARE-uh, but I'm realizing that the way I assume many of these scents are pronounced is often dead wrong! So, if anyone has a wildly different way to pronounce it, or insight into the Hindi pronunciation, I'd be grateful!

I've been saying it pretty straight forwardly: SOO-duh Seh-GARE-uh, but I'm realizing that the way I assume many of these scents are pronounced is often dead wrong! So, if anyone has a wildly different way to pronounce it, or insight into the Hindi pronunciation, I'd be grateful!

That's how I've been saying it so if you're wrong, then we're both wrong!

That's how I've been saying it so if you're wrong, then we're both wrong!

Maybe this is one of those times where the obvious pronunciation is actually correct!

I say SOO-dha Se-GAH-ra, with the "dh" being sort of halfway between a "d" sound and a "th" sound.

And Nia, I love "los perfumitos" and "las muestrecitas"! I have a feeling that's going to get stuck in my brain now. I took Spanish in school for so many years and had so many Spanish-speaking friends and acquaintances and roommates that sometimes I think certain words in Spanish and have to translate them to English before I say them out loud. :P Oh, and we tend to pronounce acronyms as words here most of the time, too. That's why I'm always surprised to hear that anyone "spells out" BPAL. Maybe I'm just lazy. :D

A weird mental tic of mine makes me absolutely cringe when I hear people pronouncing acronyms so I just call it "Black Phoenix". I'm not surprised everyone pronounces it though.

(:P But it's Faiza, not Fazia.)

Whenever I read it, I think Fah-ee-za, but with the "ee" sort of clipped. More like Fah-e'-za, maybe?

This thread is fun, and it makes me realise how WRONG I am!

I say..

FAY-ZAH The black Mamba

Amongst loads of others that are wrong most probably.

okay, after having read through (from both directions) at least 2/3 of the posts and not finding it... and then using the "search topic" function and it not coming up...

Et Lux Fuit

I'm good with Et and Lux

but I'm curious as to how Fuit is supposed to sound