Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Morrighana

Pronouncing "BPAL" and scent names!

OK, Hellenists - Pannychis? It's a hard ch = k sound, right? That y confounds me though........

....please help! :P

This might be a stupid question, but how do you pronounce "Verte" as in La Fee Verte? I've been pronouncing the whole name phonetically in my head, but have a sneaking suspicion that's not right...

Help!

This might be a stupid question, but how do you pronounce "Verte" as in La Fee Verte? I've been pronouncing the whole name phonetically in my head, but have a sneaking suspicion that's not right...

Help!

i think it is pronounced as regular, old vert :P

Help!

i think it is pronounced as regular, old vert :P

Yep, one syllable, like "vairt" (long "a" sound for the "e")

Um, since I'm getting an imp soon....

How do I pronounce Shub-Niggurath without uttering a racial slur? :D :P

edit: found this on the net: SHUB-NIG-ger-ath

Edited by Forspecial Plate

I don't know why I know this (must have seen it somewhere here), but I'm pretty sure it's tez-cat-lee-PO-ca (with a long O sound and a slight emphasis on the first syllable).

Anyone sort out Tezcatlipoca? I searched for it and found one question, no responses. But I may have goofed.

according to my pre-colombian meso-american art history teacher, it's..

tets-kat-lee-po-ka

Help with my French: Marquise de Merteuil...

The best approximation using only Eastern North America English that I can think of is

mar-keez d"e" mare-t-"e"-y.

"e" is the vowel in "her".

If you try saying mare as in female horse and then saying t-"e"-y quickly, it will be quite close. :P

Edited by indicolite

Yeah, um, Merteuil is difficult to elucidate on a message board. :P

It's mer (like 'mare')-tœ-yuh, but it's not enunciated as much near the end.

Help with my French: Marquise de Merteuil...

mar-KEEZ duh mer.....blah? :P I can't get the last word

I usually hear it in my head the same way they pronounced it in the movie Dangerous Liasons...

Marquise= "mar-KEYS"

de= "deh"

Merteuil= "mer-TOY"

That's about as close as I can get on a message board anyway.

How does one pronounce "Kumari Kandam"? Because I just attempted to say it out loud and it came out "Kumari Condom." :P

Well, it's Tamil, a classical language of India and older than sanskrit. It's supposed to be, when pronounced and spoken correctly, rather sing-songy. Kumari Kandam, I am extrapolating, wouldn't have stresses on the first syllable (so no CONdom)...I'm no linguist and no student of classical India, but from what I've read and trying to make guesses based on the cadence of a couple of other languages of India I've heard spoken I pronounce it kuMARee kanDAM with all A's short. :P

My hubby has teased me daily about Terpsichore for a couple of weeks now. When I first discovered BPAL (which is Be Pal to me), I was excited, reading aloud names of fragrances to him.

"Terps-eh-core!" I exclaimed.

He dryly corrected, "Terps-ick-or-ee."

And since that day he has run with it! At random times I get a mocking "Terps-eh-core, huh?" I feel the love! I'm just waiting for him to mispronounce something. It's going to be bad for him! :P

Well, it's Tamil, a classical language of India and older than sanskrit. It's supposed to be, when pronounced and spoken correctly, rather sing-songy. Kumari Kandam, I am extrapolating, wouldn't have stresses on the first syllable (so no CONdom)...I'm no linguist and no student of classical India, but from what I've read and trying to make guesses based on the cadence of a couple of other languages of India I've heard spoken I pronounce it kuMARee kanDAM with all A's short. :P

Research was unable to confirm where the stresses are, but you are right on the A's, Juniperus.

Well, I'm not good at using the little symbols that represent certain sounds (the word for which escapes me this morning :P), but I can sound it out for you...

Carceri (like car+CHerry) d'Invenzione (Din-ven-zee-Oh-nay). In Italian it's usually the second to last syllable that has the accent.

Thank you! I did look up that artist and read about him.

Well, I'm not good at using the little symbols that represent certain sounds (the word for which escapes me this morning :P), but I can sound it out for you...

Carceri (like car+CHerry) d'Invenzione (Din-ven-zee-Oh-nay). In Italian it's usually the second to last syllable that has the accent.