Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Morrighana

Pronouncing "BPAL" and scent names!

My best guess is:

eanach = long a + "nach" like you say "loch".

dhuin = chewin (with the "ch" pronounced a bit harder than English)

Do feel free to correct me or suggest an alternative!

Hmmm... I'm wearing Khrysee today, and I'm wondering

Cry-see?

Kris-see?

Kris-say?

Any ideas?

Okay, "EANACH DHÚIN" ...help??

Pronunciations of Irish words can vary depending on the part of Ireland you're in, but I'd either pronounce it "Ee-nack Doon" or "Ee-nuck Doon". The second word is definitely "Doon", though. :)

Hmmm... I'm wearing Khrysee today, and I'm wondering

Cry-see?

Kris-see?

Kris-say?

Any ideas?

I say Cry-see, but I could be wrong. Very wrong. :lol:

Okay, "EANACH DHÚIN" ...help??

Pronunciations of Irish words can vary depending on the part of Ireland you're in, but I'd either pronounce it "Ee-nack Doon" or "Ee-nuck Doon". The second word is definitely "Doon", though. :)

Thanks!! :)

WRT "Khrysee": HAHA you just stepped into Greek, you're in trouble now! ;)

Which is to say: If you want to have the Classical Greek pronunciation, the Y is pronounced as a ü (or like French u). If you want modern Greek, it's pronounced as "ee" (Spanish i). So you have either "Khrü-say" or "Khree-say", where by "say" I mean pronounced as the English word.

hee. I went round and round with it and finally I've been saying "Chris-ee", like the girl's name.

Since I was just asked about this today, I thought I'd post this :D

Kuang Shi is pronounced koo-ong (said quickly in one word, rhymes with the English "long") shh (with a roll of the tongue, like starting to say "Shrek").

EDIT: LOL, I completely forgot about the letter "w"! Explaining that "Kuang" is pronounced like kwong is probably easier to understand than koo-ong :lol:

Edited by ahoythere

Since I was just asked about this today, I thought I'd post this :D

Kuang Shi is pronounced koo-ong (said quickly in one word, rhymes with the English "long") shh (with a roll of the tongue, like starting to say "Shrek").

Wow! Thanks for that! Its one of my summertime favorites, and I've most certainly been butchering the pronunciation - just like it looks, but with a country twang.

No problem! I've butchered many a pinyin (and shall continue to), despite the fact that I grew up in a Mandarin-speaking family and am taking Mandarin language classes *cough cough* :blush:

This is probably an easy one but I wasn't quite sure on the pronunciation; Dana O'Shee.

Is the last part like "Shay" or is it like "She" as in "She went shopping"?

Thanks!

I loved wearing Khajuraho for just that reason! 'kaj ur a ho!

If you say it really fast out loud, it sounds like "God, you're a ho!" ;D

This is probably an easy one but I wasn't quite sure on the pronunciation; Dana O'Shee.

Is the last part like "Shay" or is it like "She" as in "She went shopping"?

Thanks!

I don't know for sure... I just know how *I* pronounce it. Which is like "Shay".

And both of the a's in "Dana" are short a's... so it rhymes with "susanna".

Now I'm curious whether it's correct, though. Heh.

--M

Okay this is a silly question but is Ivanushka pronounced like: EE-vanushka or EYE-vanushka.

:think:

I knew my six years of study at Moscow State University would come in handy some day :D . Ivanushka is an affectionate form of the Russian name Ivan (eevAn), and it's pronounced "eevAnushka".

I've always said Bee-pal unless I'm talking to someone who doesn't know about the lab and then I use the full name.

On the other hand I always thought it was L-O-L cats until I heard it said LAWL cats, which just strikes me as bizarre. :lol:

The Dana O'Shee thing has been troubling me for a while, so I'm glad to see it being discussed without me having to do too much digging. ;)

I've been pronouncing R'lyeh as ruh-LAY cos that's how it's sung in Shoggoth on the Roof, but that could have been for rhyming purposes and rul-YEH looks like it might be a better match.

What about Xanthe? Is it ZAN-thee like I've been saying or is the X more of an S or what?

I do kinda wish there was a way to limit a search to an individual thread. *sigh*

Edited by ShadowMaat

I do kinda wish there was a way to limit a search to an individual thread. *sigh*

Er, there is- see the little box just under the thread title that says "Enter Keywords" with a button next to it that says "search topic"? You can enter a keyword there to search the thread.

</end minor hijack>

What about Xanthe? Is it ZAN-thee like I've been saying or is the X more of an S or what?

I ignore the "e" when I say it -- so it's one syllable and comes out more like "Zanth".

--M

Er, there is- see the little box just under the thread title that says "Enter Keywords" with a button next to it that says "search topic"? You can enter a keyword there to search the thread.

</end minor hijack>

Holy cow! Never noticed that before. I kept looking under options cuz that's the area where search is on the other forums I use. Thanks! And sorry for the topic hijack, guys. :whistle:

I ignore the "e" when I say it -- so it's one syllable and comes out more like "Zanth".

--M

i sort of exhale the 'e' sound. hard to explain, it's the same sort of sound i make for the name sethe. it's almost two syllables like "zan-th".

Sorry, this is not really about pronunciation (although feel free to throw that in) – what does Schlafende Baigneuse mean?

According to one website's translation that I saw, it means "The Sleeping Bather". Most of the pages that I translated came up with "Sleeping", but weren't quite sure what "Baigneuse" was... this was the first that gave me more than "The Sleeping Baigneuse". :lol:

--M

Sorry, this is not really about pronunciation (although feel free to throw that in) – what does Schlafende Baigneuse mean?

According to one website's translation that I saw, it means "The Sleeping Bather". Most of the pages that I translated came up with "Sleeping", but weren't quite sure what "Baigneuse" was... this was the first that gave me more than "The Sleeping Baigneuse". :lol:

--M

"Bather" actually sounds right for "baigneuse." I vaguely remember that "bain" is "bath" in French. Um... is "schlafende" German and "baigneuse" French (or a related Romance language)? o_O