Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Morrighana

Pronouncing "BPAL" and scent names!

I have asked Ye Olde Chthulhu Meister back in Lancaster and he says:

R'lyeh: Rull-yeh.

The U is soft, almost as if its not there at all. r'l is probably the best way to write it even, cos thats what it sounds like.

He also speaks Klingon, so he has the 'speaking through a mouthful of gravel' qualification.

Nya-thingy: is pronounced (to rhyme the Y with why and eye) NY - a- LAR - thuh- tep.

I used to remember how to say that one by using the name Niall Arthur Tep. :P

I am not sure about the proper pronunciation of Ulalume. Anyone help me or guide me to a link? I would guess "oo-la-loo-may" or" oo-la-lume", but maybe I am WAY off.

I'm a couple days late, but check out the poem here. I'm assuming from this that it's "ooh-la-loom," 'cause if you pronounce the final E it doesn't scan (or rhyme with "tomb").

Can someone help me pronounce Gaueko? I keep saying it lik you would gaucomole...

Gaueko In Basque folklore, a nocturnal spirit or demon which prohibits certain activities during the hours of darkness on pain of punishment. The name means simply `[creature] of the night' (gau `night' plus the relational suffix -ko).

First off a few I need help pronouncing!

Maenad: I've been saying May-nad Is that right? ^^;;

The U is soft, almost as if its not there at all. r'l is probably the best way to write it even, cos thats what it sounds like.

He also speaks Klingon, so he has the 'speaking through a mouthful of gravel' qualification.

Nya-thingy: is pronounced (to rhyme the Y with why and eye) NY - a- LAR - thuh- tep.

I used to remember how to say that one by using the name Niall Arthur Tep.  :P

But how do you pronounce Chthulhu? LOL I had to ask!!!

--Mystina

Edited by Pixie-elf

First off a few I need help pronouncing!

Maenad: I've been saying May-nad Is that right? ^^;;

I used to remember how to say that one by using the name Niall Arthur Tep.  :P

But how do you pronounce Chthulhu? LOL I had to ask!!!

--Mystina

The most popular pronunciation is "kuh-THOO-loo", but it is said that it can be pronounced "kuh-TOO-loo", as shown in the spelling "Ktulu" in the song "The Call of Ktulu".

There are basically three different pronunciations that I have heard, other pronunciations being slight modifications on these.

The most commonly heard pronunciation is that suggested by Chaosium, makers of the "Call of Cthulhu" roleplaying game. On the back of many of their gaming products is printed the phrase, "Can you say kuh-THOOL-hoo?". (I pronounce it kuh-THOO-lhoo.)

Another pronunciation is that used by several Lovecraftian scholars. This form is based on Lovecraft's revision tales where Cthulhu is often referred to as "Clooloo" or "Clulu". Unfortunately, this form does not have a sound representing the "th" combination.

Lastly there is a compromise between these two. The "h" sounds are aspirated, thus the "th" is not as in "them" or "thin", but two separate sounds. The first four letters of the word are run together in something like a sneezing sound, "K't'hoo-lhoo".

Oh good I'm not the only one who thought it was "sam hane"....

I have now decided to sod the whole thing, and call it Halloween.

~Diamond~

I've had pagan friends since the 70s and have always heard Samhain pronounced "SOW'n"; that's how we pronounce the name of our kitten, Samhain.

Oddly enough, we also call her "Sammy-fish" and "Sammy-cat" *g*

Consistent? What is this "consistent" you speak of?

Cats

ETA: my kitty boy reminded me we also call her "Salmon". *g*

Edited by Cats

Kinda funny thing is that I've heard it both ways from differnt pagan friends of mine. :P

Most people have NO idea what I'm saying if I pronounce it Sowwen or Sown tho.

*shrug*

Not like I really talk to many people around here reguarding my holidays tho.

La la la, first post...

According to Scottish and Irish Gaelic, a lot of the time 'mh' is pronounced approximately 'v' (very approximately!) - a friend of mine is called Mhairidh, which is pronounced Varri. Causes endless confusion for people who speak no Gaelic! (I always thought Celtic described the culture, the people etc etc, and the languages are Irish Gaelic and Scottish Gaelic, and variants thereof - though I may be wrong. Anyone?)

And I've always heard Samhain pronounced "Sow'n".

That's my two cents!

La la la, first post...

According to Scottish and Irish Gaelic, a lot of the time 'mh' is pronounced approximately 'v' (very  approximately!) - a friend of mine is called Mhairidh, which is pronounced Varri. Causes endless confusion for people who speak no Gaelic! (I always thought Celtic described the culture, the people etc etc, and the languages are Irish Gaelic and Scottish Gaelic, and variants thereof - though I may be wrong. Anyone?)

And I've always heard Samhain pronounced "Sow'n".

That's my two cents!

My 2 euros worth....

I am not a linguist and have not studied my Irish in a while so I could be corrected by other native Irish speakers here!!

Im from Dublin in Ireland and speak Gaelic Irish. Your right about the 'mh' being pronounced as a 'v' sound. But sometimes its a 'h' sound. I shall confuse you even further by adding 'bh' as in the names 'Dearbhla' which would be pronounced as 'Dur-vla' or 'Meadbh' pronounced as 'May-v' ( as in Queen Mab - which I think is Scottish Gaelic, we in Ireland would say -Queen May-v)

I pronounce Samhain as Sow-en.

There are many different local dialects around the country..... Connemara, Donegal, Kerry to mention but a few, all have very different pronounciations so it gets really confusing !!!!

btw...Halloween in the Irish language, is Oiche Shamhna which I would pronounce as 'ee-ha how-na'

Yes thats 'how-na'....yet another way to correctly pronounce this word. In this case

we drop the s sound and replace with a h sound as here it comes after a feminine word...as in 'Oiche'.....if my memeory serves :P but I could very well be corrected!! btw...Oiche means night.

:D

B-Pal? Or B-Paul?

I don't know why but I think "B-Pal", but end up saying "B-Paul"...The sad thing is my husband "corrects" me!!! (I usually just shove him & tell him to leave me alone!)

B-pal, the lab, or black phoenix, all interchangeable... usually I say bpal or the lab only with Andra since she's the only labhead I actually SPEAK with. Black Phoenix around family or friends who aren't converts. :P

From Encyclopedia Mythica:

the Hesperides:

hes-pair'-i-deez

...and I pronounce it Bee-Pal too. My husband keeps insisting that Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab sounds like a goth-industrial band name (and has asked me jokingly when they're going to tour).

Edited by The Ace of Spades