Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Morrighana

Pronouncing "BPAL" and scent names!

How does one pronounce some of the Japanese Scents? Kitsune-tsuki? Tananomae?

Help please. :P

Ooh, I know this one! Kitsune-Tsuki should sound like kits-nay (you do pronounce the u, but only a little little bit) tsoo-key (or maybe tskey; I don't know whether or not that u is voiced). The "ts" noise is like the "ts" in "its."

Tananomae is just tah nah no mah eh, with the last eh sounding like the noise Canadians make. All the a's sound the same. The ae cluster is two separate sounds -- ah eh.

Japanese does not put accents on any syllables at all, which is hard for us English speakers! To approximate that, it's best to put the accent on the first syllable.

I hope this helps!

L'Heure Verte is really hard to transliterate because it's got that gargly French "r" in it. Roughly, "loor vairt". However, both the "r" sounds are the guttural "r" like you never find in English, almost like an "h" or very soft "k" in the back of your throat. Sorry I can't be more useful here.

That sound sometimes crops up in Hebrew, assuming I have any idea what you're talking about. :P My biggest beef with French is never knowing which letters they've decided to pronounce.

Do you think I could get away with regular English rrrs? Or would that sound worse?

I've always thought it was more "luhre vairt". You know, super soft t. But I suppose that's a regional thing, and totally based on my french teacher's pronunciation.

Ouch. French is really not good for English-speaker-friendly phonetics.

Belle Époque is roughly "bell eh-poke"

but

L'Heure Verte is really hard to transliterate because it's got that gargly French "r" in it. Roughly, "loor vairt". However, both the "r" sounds are the guttural "r" like you never find in English, almost like an "h" or very soft "k" in the back of your throat. Sorry I can't be more useful here.

More Bell eh-pock, I think.

I'll give a try to explaining l'heure verte. Try to say "leg vegt". But the E in "leg" is long and you round your lips. And for both G's, give the sound some... extra vibration. as if you were trying to say gggg and a rolling R at the same time.

This is an amusing thread. I just got imps this past day of may varieties, including: Tezcatlipoca, Tzadikim Nistarim, Centzon Totochtin, Masabakes, and Endymion (some reason always trips me up o.o)

Least now, after reading, I can read these correctly if I try :D

How does one pronounce some of the Japanese Scents? Kitsune-tsuki? Tananomae?

Help please. :D

I study Japanese in college, for a minor. And Japanese is -amazingly- easy to read once you get it. They don't have many hidden sounds or dropped vowels or anything like english. You basically pronounce every single thing there.

Japanese only have 5 vowel sounds. A, I, U, E, O : Which is Ah, EE, Ew, Eh, Oh. Add it to the consonant and you're basically set. They do tend to "drop" U's when they speak quickly. But pronouncing it isn't incorrect. It's just not colloquial.

So, Kitsune is: ki - tsu - ne (each a different character and their own sound)

Ki = Key (ya know, a real hard metal key. Unlock my heart.) Tsu = like tsunami. Or a zoo and sue hybrid. Ne = Neigh. Like a horse.

tsuki = tsu - ki . Just like above.

Tananomae: Ta - na - no - ma - e . Ta = Ta (Like, "Tah tah for now!") Na = Naw (Naw, that's ok.) No = no. that's easy. Ma = the a in "Ha!". e = Eh. (Canadian again)

most oftenly with foreign-speakers of Japanese, the ending vowels or hidden vowels are forgotten. So not saying the "eh" at the end of Tananomae is wrong. Or, like in words like "Kirei" (beautiful/pretty/clean) not saying the e THEN the i is wrong. (It's Ki-reh-ee. Not just Kireh)

Anyways, I couldn't help but teach as well as tell. Now all Japanese scents should come easily to you :P

ETA: "Tsuki" should probably not have the U dropped. It sounds a lot like "suki" when it is. Suki (often said as "Ski") means love. So you could easily say "Fox Love" instead of "Fox moon" (Er, "Fox Lunacy". Tsuki means moon/month technically though.) if you aren't careful ^^'

Edited by CaffinatedAngel

Ouch. French is really not good for English-speaker-friendly phonetics.

Belle Époque is roughly "bell eh-poke"

but

More Bell eh-pock, I think.

I'll give a try to explaining l'heure verte. Try to say "leg vegt". But the E in "leg" is long and you round your lips. And for both G's, give the sound some... extra vibration. as if you were trying to say gggg and a rolling R at the same time.

Yup yup, eh-pock it is indeed! I have noticed that english-speaking people tend to pronounce the "o"s, when followed by a consonant and an "e" (like in "époque", or "mode", or "encore") like a long "o". But it's always short; we don't take the final "e" into consideration here. It's funny, because I sometimes get the impression that people pronounce those long "o"s with the feeling that it's very elegant and "french" somehow. And, really, it is elegant (I love it when people have and english accent in french - it sounds so...refined), it's just not...well, french. :P

Anyway, eh-pock. But L'Heure Verte is really difficult to explain, I don't know. Perhaps Nia's explanation is better than anything I could say myself; it shows the "mechanics" of that darned soft "r" very well!

I actually started calling it BAY-pal and I do not know why, but it's like a glitch that I can't get rid of now. No idea where I got the "ay" from.

Maybe you wanted it to rhyme with Paypal. :P

ETA: "Tsuki" should probably not have the U dropped. It sounds a lot like "suki" when it is. Suki (often said as "Ski") means love. So you could easily say "Fox Love" instead of "Fox moon" (Er, "Fox Lunacy". Tsuki means moon/month technically though.) if you aren't careful ^^'

totally off topic but: tsuki is also the word for "thrust" and it is the word we kiai when hitting the throat in kendo. it always amuses me to think i'm screaming the word "moon" rather than "thrust" when i'm tagging someone in the throat.

It's probably because I have never studied Italian, but every time I wear L'ESTATE (or use a product from the accompanying Inquisition), I think of the Vampire Lestat and pronounce it that way in my mind. Obviously, I'm a hopeless hillbilly. :P

Hi there, I just searched this thread but couldn't find what I'm looking for!!

I'm trying to find out how you pronounce Khajuraho or..which syllable the emphasis is on..

It's my top LE of late and wear it so much. I don't know how to say it when people ask.

I'm pronouncing it Ka-JURE-a-ho.

Which to me sounds like I'm saying.. You're a ho.

I'm praying this isn't the proper way to say it..

:P

Anyone know how to pronounce the latest BPAl Micaca...... :D

Mictecacihuatl? :P I'd like to know too!

I think it might be mik-te-ka-chi-hwa-t'l, but I'm a student of Spanish rather than Mayan/Aztec ^.^;;;;

Brisingamen?

I did some research on this one because I couldn't find a satisfactory answer in this thread, only speculation.

And I think it's Breh-SEHN-ga Men.

What I found is that it comes from (Norse) brisinga (glowing or flaming) and men or mene (jewelry).

I also found an alternative spelling: Brosingamen or Brosinga Men, which is why I thing it's "breh" and not "bree."

I think.

Anyone else have an idea? It's been a few years since this one was brought up.

Am I the only one who doesn't know how to say this one?

Bensiable

It's the end bit that gets me, I don't want to say a man's name that ends in "bell"

So, is it Ben-syble? as in the old Hebrew thing of "Ben" meaning "son" and the witch being named "Syble"?

or Ben-see-able? or Ben-see-ah-bull?

I loved wearing Khajuraho for just that reason! 'kaj ur a ho!

Hehe, it's quite fun. But I've had some funny looks.

I think I might just pronounce it like that anyway for the hell of it!

*sings*

You're a ho....You're a ho!

omg I'm going into overdrive, I could even do a special holiday edition.. You're a ho ho ho!!

:P

Bensiable

It's the end bit that gets me, I don't want to say a man's name that ends in "bell"

So, is it Ben-syble? as in the old Hebrew thing of "Ben" meaning "son" and the witch being named "Syble"?

Oh wow! I have always read it as Benisabel, and heard it in my head as "Ben-Isabel". I actually thought you had it wrong, but I checked the website and it is "Bensiabel". :P Now my world is turned upside down. I'd love to know how to pronounce it correctly...

Bensiable

Oh wow! I have always read it as Benisabel, and heard it in my head as "Ben-Isabel". I actually thought you had it wrong, but I checked the website and it is "Bensiabel". XD Now my world is turned upside down. I'd love to know how to pronounce it correctly...

Thirded. I pronounce it in my head as "Ben-sigh-ah-bell." So, what is it, knowledgeable people?

That sound sometimes crops up in Hebrew, assuming I have any idea what you're talking about. :) My biggest beef with French is never knowing which letters they've decided to pronounce.

Do you think I could get away with regular English rrrs? Or would that sound worse?

I've always thought it was more "luhre vairt". You know, super soft t. But I suppose that's a regional thing, and totally based on my french teacher's pronunciation.

Ok, I realize I'm replying to something old - but the reason it's pronounced with a harder t is because it ends in e. If it was vert (the masculine) it would have been vair. But it's feminine with the e so it's vairt.