Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Gemini noir

Miskatonic University

... The scent of Irish coffee, dusty tomes and polished oakwood halls.

This is very foody on me. Extremely rich and sweet coffee. There isn't a boozy note at all on me, just coffee and thick, brown caramel. It does dry down a little dusty, which is a bit odd, but not unpleasant. It's just thoroughly yummy on me. After about nine hours of wearing it, my SO snuggled up to my neck and said "You smell like syrup." :P

Hmm. I ordered this out of curiosity, and based upon the reviews. Foody scents do not usually work on me, but woods do.

So . . . I liked the scent in the bottle enough to just slather some on before I went to work in the morning. It's a nice sweet coffee scent, smells sort of like a vanilla latte. As soon as I put it on, I started to smell something else . . . took a bit of pondering, but I'm pretty sure it was hazelnut. I never got woods/dust/musty tomes, and I wore this all day. In fact, by the time it had dried it was straight up Frangelico.

I understand why everyone else loves this, it really is pleasant. I just happen not to like hazelnuts, especially sweetened or in coffee! :P This has impressive staying power and throw.

As lovely as this is in the vial, I'm really glad I didn't buy this when it was so rare and expensive. In the vial it is all lovely coffee. Wet on my skin, it's coffee and hazelnut. But once it dries, yech! A Butterscotch note comes out and sours immediately. My wrists smell like a spicy rottenwood. Into the sell box with this one.

While I LOVE the concept of Misk U., I was saddened by the fact that it didn't really work on me. Wet and in the bottle, it smelled exactly as described - coffee, oak and dust, almost scarily exact. On me it dried down to dusty maple syrup, which didn't float my boat at all. :P

Wet, Misk U is butterscotch-laced sweet irish coffee. Almost teeth-rotteningly sweet *gasp blasphemy!*. As it dries, the dusty tomes and a butter-y notes come out and mute the sweet-smelling coffee. There's also a dry, paper-y note there as well. I wonder where the 'oakwood halls' went though.

Edited by mandragora

hmm, When I first put this on I smelled the Sugar, Oak and Coffee, It reminded me of My old job as a bookseller. Then it turned on me, It smelled like burnt rubber and piss. I was so so sad. Either Its just the wrong time of the month and this aint workin' for me right now. I really thought this could be great but its not. I showered and scrubbed but the scent was still on me, blech, so I had to throw on some Pumpkin Queen for relief.

Eh, you can't win em all...

In the Imp: Sweet coffee goodness, mmmmmm.

Wet: Yep, straight up Irish Coffee! Sweet with cream, good quality strong-ass coffee, and then a little background kick of the whiskey.

Dry: The sweetness dries off a bit and there is a hint of woods, but they blend into the coffee scent so well they would hardly be noticable to most people. This is a very perky, yet comfortable, scent.

Throw: Eh, little less than moderate. A close to the skin scent unless you slather.

Overall: This is a great scent, and really like nothing else in BPALs catalogue. So for that later reason I can see why so many people were so crazy over this scent when it was an LE. But to tell the truth to me, it's not soooo unusual and wonderful that I would have still loved myself after spending ungodly amounts of money to get it.

Rating: ++

Edited by Galatea

As soon as I opened this, I got a faceful of buttered popcorn jelly beans! I put it on and resisted licking myself. The sweetness calmed down pretty soon and got slightly -I want to say smoky, but that's not it. Probably the wood coming out. It took about an hour before I noticed any coffee at all, and that was just a tiny bit. In any case I love love love it! I got an imp from Medici and it isn't going to last very long. :P

The saddest part about me not smelling coffee is I had my boyfriend sniff it and he immediately says it's Kahlua. That wouldn't be sad except he thought that Wrath, Bastet, and Euterpe all smelled the same. :D

In the imp - coffee! Sweet coffee...

Upon first application - Sweet irish coffee, really lovely and unlike any scent I've encountered this far.

Initial drydown - Still coffee, but the dust and oak notes start coming out.

Drydown - Dust. Dusty halls, oak bookcases and yellow paper. It gave me a mental image of being in an old library with sunlight cascading in through the huge windows, I could see the dust swirilng in the sunlight.

Unfortunately my skin devoured the sweet coffee, and amped the dusty note - which was startlingly on-target.

I was sad this didn't work for me, after reading so many great reviews. While I was very impressed by the accuracy of the "old tomes" note, I don't want to smell that way. :P

I'll find the little imp a better home!

In the bottle: Wow! Really strong sweet milky coffee. With a definite ‘irish’ scent :P Overpoweringly so. Not sure I can handle this.

On skin, wet: Something besides the alcoholic coffee is showing through, but I can’t quite put my finger on it. Maybe when the coffee quiets down it’ll show through easier. It has an almost medicinal quality to it.

On skin, dry: There is an oak-y note showing now. And an almost butterscotch scent that is probably from the coffee note. Now there is a buttery, nutty smell. This scent is morphing very quickly on my skin, quicker than anything else I’ve ever tried.

Drydown: I am unsure as to what I think of this scent. The coffee notes I like very much, and I think I might like the darker woodier notes in another combination. Something in this combination smells sickly bitter though, and makes me feel quite nauseous. It is a shame, since I did so want to like this scent; nothing could be more suited to the eternal student that I am! I will try it again, as I am almost determined to like it!

Conclusion: Not too keen on this combination. However, I’m going to give it another chance.

In the vial: This is thick, creamy and a little boozy coffee. It's almost cloyingly sugary and sweet. Actually it reminds me more of butterscotch than Irish coffee because the sweetness overpowers the coffee note. I'm not into really sweet and/or gourmand scents, but I decided to give this one a try because the description is so lovely.

Wet on skin: It is less sweet than it was in the vial. It's still very sweet, but now I can bear it.

Dry on skin: The sweetness fades more. It's still there but it's not overpowering. Now I can smell the coffee note better. I'm not sure if I can really smell the dusty tomes and polished oakwood halls, but I can feel them being there and calming down the sweetness and booziness. I was afraid of this would be too sweet for my taste so I just dabbed a little drop on. I probably use it more next time to smell it better. I think the throw may be average.

We just have the first snow here in Finland. Misk U is so warm and comforting that it's a perfect scent for the winter feeling I have. And it doesn't hurt that I'm now in the university's library doing my thesis. Hmm, I think I need a cup of coffee now...

Misk U is very lovely scent. I like it much more than I anticipated and I can't stop sniffing myself. The longer I wear it the more I love it. :P I may even need a bottle!

It is initially a rich, caramel-coffee scent that dries down to a buttery-sweet smell that really does have a bit of the dusty tome note. Maybe some faint wood. I like it.

I've just located a first edition of Paradise Lost and settled into a deep leather armchair in the corner.

Cap off: cof-FEE and whisky, with a side order of nutty creme brulee.

Wet: the coffee is slowly giving ground to melting caramel and hot dutch chocolate with parchment ready to pounce from the background.

Dry: The coffee's sauntered off to the next room while my nose is stuck in Professor Henry Jones' Grail Diary. Slanting bars of sunlight warm the old oak floor beneath my feet and outside someone is burning autumn leaves.

MISKATONIC UNIVERSITY

In Bottle: Coffee and toffee

On Skin: I get super sweet toffee from this right away with a nice kick of coffee. This smells like a big warm cup of comfort. The sweet note is gorgeous and makes me happy right away because the coffee note scared me. I’m not a huge coffee fan and thought this scent might be bitter. I get a bit of a buttery bakery smell from this as well… maybe a nice old coffeeshop with a bookstore attached? It does have a dusty note, but nothing offputting. I bet my mom would love this scent, it kind of reminds me of her since she’s a librarian. It’s delicious but I’m not sure if I’d want to smell like it… again it might be a nice room scent to add to an il diffuser or tart warmer. Very comforting, a “hug scent” for sure. Strong throw and average wearlength.

In the imp, Miskatonic University smells like boozy coffee to me, or something like a cross between hot buttered rum and coffee. Once it's on my skin and through initial drydown, it smells like a caffe latte with a flavored syrup. After it's had a bit of time to thoroughly dry down, all the components of the scent are there, and I smell a dusty library in an old building with a lot of oak woodwork, and someone nearby is drinking a caffe latte with a shot of hazelnut syrup. For once, my body allows all the components of a scent to stand together without one dominating the others. Misk U is an amazing juxtaposition of scents. It holds together and doesn't morph, and it has good lasting power and throw. It's very much a bookish scent, but not austere -- it has warmth and richness. Love it!

Bottle: it smells exactly like sweet irish coffee, yum

Wet: wonderful irish coffee blended with the smell of wood, but more like wood furniture, and definitely books

Dry: this fits the description exactly, coffee set on a wood table at a library, I am amazed at how perfect these scents are, it is distinctly the smell of wooden desks

I love this blend, it's straightforward and exactly what I wanted from the description. My SO has nicknamed this scent "tweed".

In the imp: It smells like good, rich Irish coffee. It's that kind of delicious coffee smell that makes me wish I actually liked the taste of coffee.

Wet: Immediately the dusty tomes come out and start to overtake the lovely coffee smell.

Dry: Sadly, the dusty note overpowers everything else. I never really got the "polished oakwood halls" - just dust and coffee. Dry, this basically smells like an unwashed coffee cup that got left on the counter for fifty years.

My skin amps the hazelnut buttery-ness along with the coffee so I smell like a latte. I really like it, but my husband says that all he can smell is butter, and not in a good way. Still, I think it warms up really, really nicely on my skin... and I do see what all the fuss is about. I would love more blends with coffee in them!

I've been wanting to try this for quite some time... the description held pure aesthetic appeal for me. Coffee and books? Sheer cerebral joy in a bottle.

I received my order today and dove right into Misk. U. first... My DH got the first whiff and was floored straight away, so I annointed him with the precioussss; THEN, the DD caught a nosefull and fell into a rapturous state and had to try some too! IT IS GOOD ON EVERYONE HERE!!! Miskatonic University is officially IN like SIN. :D

It has been SEVERAL hours since I applied Misk. U. to the DH... he just came in to kiss me before going out on an errand (ohhhh the joys of nuzzling a BPAL-annointed neck); the Miskatonic U. is still going strong in it's buttered toffee/coffee/vast-dusty-library goodness :P

Keeper absolute.

xoxox,

Kali V.

Miskatonic U

First thing I smell is coffee out of the bottle. Applied wet, I smell the irish creme and something papery.

Then as it dries I smell butterscotch pudding and playdoh.

Milk and vanilla and playdoh.

Milky playdoh.

Playdoh.

doh.

:P

I would love it if this smelled like a library or old books but I don't get any of that. Maybe faintly it reminds me of how a coffee-drinking old professor might smell. Which doesn't sound too appealing, but this is nice... Mostly I get kahlua but then it switches back to just rich coffee. This is definitely a cozy day scent and while it smells good on me, I might prefer it as a room scent.

In the Imp: This smells very, very sweet. It's reminiscent of butterscotch but not quite the same thing. For Christmas when I was a kid I got some "Irish coffee" hot chocolate (no, there was no alcohol in it) from someone and I think this smells a lot like that.

On my skin: Still very much the sweet coffee smell but not quite as sweet as in the imp.

Later On: Still lots of coffee smell but now if I put my wrist right up to my nose I think I can smell a little bit of a wood scent. It also has pretty good throw on me.

My aunt smelled this on me and said it smelled like pie or something cooking in the kitchen. It's one of the scents I'm getting her for Christmas so I had to bluff and obfuscate about what it was when she asked me. :P

Overall impressions: This is great stuff! I definitely want a bottle of it. I wish I could smell more of the wood and the dusty, old books. Sometimes if I wear something enough time, though, I'll start to be able to smell more of its notes, so I'm hopeful. Even if I don't smell more of the individual notes more strongly, I still love this.

ONOOOOOES :P

I wanted to love this so much :/

I get no coffee - just hazelnut, butter, and toffee. I smell like a candy I -might- like to eat, but definitely don't want to wear. I hope it smells better on one of my friends, so that I may make a yummy gift of it (and get it away from me ;.:D

Blahblahblah. I had such high hopes, alas!