Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Gemini noir

Miskatonic University

The scent of Irish coffee, dusty tomes and polished oakwood halls.

Well, in the bottle this absolutely reeks of Irish coffee powder, the stuff I used to pour into my instant coffee in highschool. Way too sweet for me.

On my skin a scent kind of like leather emerges. I can smell the leather books mixed with a strong brew of Irish coffee. It's very pungent! I detect something like a mint in here as well but it's getting less minty and more smokey as it goes.

With some time.... strong leather and less Irish coffee. Wow, I am impressed by the depth of this. It seems so brash at first but it really has got some interesting elements.

in the bottle: yummy creamy irish coffee...this smells like it should be edible.

On the skin: like yummy creamy irish coffee. I smell like I should be edible. I don't get any dusty book smell with this until later and even then it is subtle, but this is making me crave sweets. It smells like good!!!

After opening the bottle, all I can smell is exceptionally sweet Irish coffee. At first, it reminded me a little too much of the Kraft "International Coffees" powders that I used to drink many moons ago. But after giving it several whiffs, I can recognize a depth and creaminess to it that they could never hope to attain.

A wood note steps boldly forward once it hits my skin. It is very dry, though not particularly dusty on me. It reminds me more of the smell of sun-heated driftwood of all things. The cream has settled into more of a nutty background "flavor".

Unfortunately, the coffee and the library-evoking scents don’t want to play nice together on my skin. They keep battling it out for supremacy instead of blending together as one. I’m left with a kind of rotted or desiccated bean note like coffee that has gone crazy stale.

I was hoping this would prove to be a fun scent to wear as I re-enter the grad field this Fall. But my body chemistry has other ideas. Oh how I weep!

Bottle (Imp): Creamy Irish coffee.

Just On: Oh, delicious creamy Irish coffee.

An hour or two later: This is heaven. Another astounding hit for me. I should have ordered way more. But for some reason, bouncing checks for BPAL just isn't a good thing.

Around 6 hours: Gorgeous coffee.

12 hours: Little bit of coffee and cream left.

Overall: Absolutely OMFG on this one. This I can see paying obscene amounts for (though not as high as EBay seems to take things).

After reading other reviews: I never did get the library book smell, but this is still heven in a bottle. I'm certainly going to be ready to buy more of this if I can find any chance. It all gets snapped up before I can get it. <sigh>

Why I bought it: Given the lab description and the name, I had to get this one. And there's the fact that my mother the librarian makes a mean Irish coffee.

In the bottle and wet: thick coffee with cream and a lot of brown sugar. Nancy gets the Irish, but I don't smell anything boozy.

Drying down: Still creamy sugared coffee, with an odd off note that smells a little like the cream used in the coffee was turning.

Dry: I think the off note is the wood. Whatever it is, I really don't like it at all. Damn, I wish I'd bought Shub-Niggurath.

A little later: Well the off note is mostly gone and it's back to the coffee smell, but as good as this smells in the bottle, I really don't like it on me that much. I don't know if it's too foody or what.

A very unique scent. My first thought? Caramel toffee popcorn! Yum! After I wear it awhile, the coffee comes out a bit more, with just a hint of polished wood. It really reminds me of slightly burnt toffee, but in a good way. This is an intrguing one, I like it a lot, yummy and strong and fun. :P

I only ordered two SiA scents (Miskatonic U. and Cthulhu), and both were for Chris, but I am keeping Miskatonic U. for myself. :D

In the bottle: almost sickly sweet syrupy Irish creme scent.

Wet, on skin: the coffee comes out a bit, and mellows out the Irish creme beautifully. I used to drink coffee with Baileys in it every morning (eh... I was a lush, ok? :D ), and this is exactly how it smelled.

Drying down, about 15 minutes: The dustiness of the old books is making an appearance now... as if I'd stopped in a used book store in the morning on my way to work, back when I was drinking my coffee and Baileys.

Overall thoughts: I :P this one! I think it'll be perfect for the fall when the weather is crisp and cool, on those days when I crave my long since abandoned coffee and Baileys.

Wow, in the bottle, this is irish coffee, nothing but.

On my skin though, within about an hour, the leather and oakiness start to come out and tone down the coffee drink and this becomes the most amazing scent...not for everyday wear, probably, but I really love the leather-coffee-whiskey-oak stage and can definitely see wearing this a lot as the leaves start turning and days start needing something warm to pass the time...

Wet on me my first thought was Baileys and my second was Ben and Jerry's Dublin Mudslide, the difference being that this is creamier and less in your face boozy than the Baileys. As it dried I got coconut and I'm glad to see a few others have as well, else I would have felt I was going made. This is a creamy almost synthetic coconut rather than the green coconut Beth does so well. Dry on me this turns to ashes, my stupid, stupid skin chemistry :P . However, I refuse to give up on this so this will be going in my scent locket, where it stays like rich creamy ice cream laced with coffee and whiskey.

out of the bottle and wet its coffee rio candies! irish creme! kaluha - you get the picture! its so buttery cremey insanely sweet coffee that i want to go to the magical cafe where they serve this drink, iced! upon drydown, Miskatonic U becomes a very dry dusty grog, which i love - but its not going to get much action this summer because its such a perfect FALL scent that ill save it for then! :P

at first: a sweet coffee drink.

on: sweet and not as heavy as i thought it would be. don't get me wrong: the scent is strong. however, it's thinner than i thought, if that makes any sense.

2.5 hours later: a very boozy, sweet coffee scent.

overall: this might be nice once the weather cools off a bit. i'm glad i only have an imp, though, since i can't imagine ever using up more than that.

Bottle and wet are wonderfully minty coffee. To DIE over and drool for.

As it drys down and the day goes on I still catch occational whisps of minty coffee. Good Wonderful Happy Minty Coffee.

Unfortunatly I get wickedly smelling of dry pipe tobacco. One of my co workers asked if someone was smokeing a pipe. I sort of sighed. Small bits of minty coffee fight for dominance. They loose pitifully to pipe smoke. One CSR said it smelled like Pepe (her grandfather) and was nice and comforting for that reason. I sneezed.

No leather to report from my side either. I had it in my oil ring on my lamp and it was LOVELY! Argh! Must wait for a nice scent locket to display minty lovely Irish coffee version.

This is another one that OriginalWacky gifted me.

In the imp, to me and everyone else I've allowed to sniff it, it smells just like caramel popcorn. Yum!

Wet, it retains this smell, but quickly settles into something more reminiscent of Bailey's irish cream, with a splash of coffee. As it dries, it becomes more of a whiskey smell rather than purely Bailey's and coffee, and it stays that way for the rest of its 2-3 hour lifespan.

I don't get the leather, smokiness, or old books at all; but I'm not really complaining. I love Bailey's, and the smell (if not the taste) of whiskey :P

The perfect Irish coffee scent, creamy but strong.

Stays pretty true on my skin, and has an awesome lasting power.

Absolutely eatable!

This scent is amazing, and I'm very glad I've ordered a bottle.

I was frankly a little worried about this one, what with all those references to 'dusty' and 'musty' in other reviews. I'm glad I didn't listen to those doubts.

I used to have this desire to study something fascinating but completely useless at a university like Oxford. This smells exactly like my fantasy. Sitting in an old library with stone walls and polished oak tables, stacks of mysterious books around me, sipping coffee with Bailey's from an antique silver service set. And then Mr. Gilles comes out -

Er. Right, back to the perfume. Lovely, it is. Sweet creamy, whiskey-touched coffee, softening in the dry-down and becoming just very faintly woody (but not dry - creamy woody).

EDIT: The boy pronounces it 'burnt caramel'.

Edited by maewitch

It's overwhelming, asphyxiating. It makes me feel crazy, misanthropic, and very uneasy with the world in general. I smell ginger cookies on a base of vanilla. I like it! :P

This is already one of my favorites...such a nice, warm fall/winter scent.

Smells exactly like Irish Cream coffee and an old library.

My boyrfriend works at Smith college in Northampton, MA. Sometimes I'll visit him and walk around campus....Miskatonic University captures the exact scent of an old New England University in the morning. This is perfect!

i love the parts in lovecraft's stories that take place at miskatonic university, so i had to get this one. i do like it. it's like everybody says - kaluha, bailey's irish cream, etc. - but honestly, i get more of a butterscotch or a maple scent, more so than coffee. sometimes it's hard to figure out when to wear this scent. i like it in the morning, on the way to work. it's a good way to start the day - i can't see wearing it out at night, for some reason. anyway - here's another thing - it's a good scent to cover up an oil you don't like - if you try a new scent and don't like it, this one neutralizes it, and covers it over with the butterscotch/ coffee niceness.

Just received my 2 imps of Miskatonic from the lovely Hep Kitten. I am in extasy over how PERFECT the scent is. From the description alone, I knew I'd love it.

Straight out of the bottle, it's thick, rich Irish Coffee. I almost was tempted to drink it out of the imp but resisted the urge.

First impression on my skin, still the strong smell of coffee. It warms up after about 10 minutes and the smell is comforting, intriguing. I like it a great deal.

After about an hour, the coffee smell begins to fade and the dusty, wooden oak smell comes through. I am reminded, for some reason, of the attic in which Bastian hid in the "Neverending Story" movie. Cobwebs, old books, an old skeleton from anatomy lab.

After dry down, the coffee note is very faint and the smell is more oak and dust, but still very rich and introspective.

This is my first blend that I am reviewing, and I am very happy to say that the smell is 100% true to the description.

Cheers!

T.

For me, Miskatonic University is almost entirely coffee and cream. In fact, it smells so much the creamer I put in my coffee (creme brulee) that I always want a cup when I put this on. Occasionally, very occasionally I will get a hint of something boozy, and even less frequently, I'll catch the scent of wood or old books. However none of those scents come out strongly enough on me to really elevate this scent past its coffee roots.

However it does conjure for me a dean's study, warm wood paneled walls, old tomes, and the ever-present scent of gourmet coffee that lingers in the room of a habitual coffee drinker. Whether this is my subconscious picking up the underlying notes or my projection of the scents title, I'm not quite sure.

In all, this is a wonderful scent sure to please coffee lovers.

Miskatonic University Haiku,

Coffee's reflexion:

Catching a glimpse of the thing

Behind the bookshelf.

In the imp, yep! pure Baileys.

On my skin it develops this odd, nutty sort of smell. I couldn't place it for a long time until I realized it smelled just like my favorite desert at my favorite Thai place - a half mango sliced over warm, sticky rice! Don't know how I got THAT! Must be something in there that reminds me of the gluten in the rice, which is quite aromatic.

It's a great smell, but I just can't do something so foody. It makes me hungry all day long! :P

Heh. I'm wearing this for the first time today, and the Irish Coffee smell is so strong on me that my boss just walked in and said "I'll have some of whatever it is that you are drinking".

:P

I'm really so disappointed in this one, I don't even want to review it!

I put just a dab of it on my wrist.. and a light brown cloud of IRISH CREAM COFFEE screamed at me, threatening to drown me in it's sweetness. I don't smell any other notes, and it's just SO strong that I can't take it! I suppose I should wait for this to dry so I can get a real sense of what it smells like... but like Jack, the initial smell is so sickly sweet that I can't see myself suffering through it to get to the dry down stage.

I had to wash this off after 5 minutes...and after searching and begging for it, I shed a little tear as I did so.

Bottle and imp are up for swap/sale.

Mmm - this smells exactly like Irish Coffee - it reminds me of dark wood tables and good books. This is a gorgeous scent. Wish I had bought two as it is going to be perfect for autumn/winter!