Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
viciousviolet

Haunted

A mournful, poignant scent, thick with foreboding. Soft golden amber darkened with a touch of murky black musk.

The lovely chai_girl has sent me an imp that looks really old because the label is a completely different style.

in the imp: no amber, no musk. Very sweet lemon.

Wet: Still a lot like sweet lemon, with something spicy.

And that is the way it stays. I don't detect much amber, it's more the musk. It is a bit old-ladyish, though.

I'm in love with this! Amber and musk are two of my favorite scents.

On wet this DOES have a citrusy POW! but that fades very quickly on me and the amber dominates. It is kept from going too soft (like The Lion does on me) by the deep base of musk.

The two notes then balance each other as they dry down. I used to have a Garden Botanika oil blend of amber musk and loved it so much I used it up! This is very similiar. Glad its a GC oil, for I'm sure I'll be getting a big bottle in the future. :P

In the imp: Kind of a golden smell - amber, I think. Something bitter too. It reminds me of incense.

On, wet: Amber, incense, and powder. Why does everything smell like powder on me???

Drying: Something tangy and woodsy, and still kind of incense-y. The powder is fading, yay!

Dry: Warm but still light, I'm liking this much better now. I'm also smelling what must be the black musk, which I don't know how I feel about, but it's not overpowering.

Final Verdict: It sort of smells like a very nice smelling sweaty person? The bf said it smells too much like baby powder. Swap pile, I guess.

At first this is a warm, slightly sweet amber but then it turns slightly – into something a bit unpleasant – not entirely sure what it is, probably the black musk? To be honest it now smells like a particular male emission and I definitely do not want to smell like that! It’s very earthy – a great shame as I loved this at the beginning but the fragrance morphed into something that doesn’t at all suit my body chemistry. Alas, this one’s not a keeper.

This started throwing something, almost menthol. It started out as a powdery scent, but dried nicely. However, there's something in the background that smells...off. Whatever that something is, it ruins the entire perfume for me. Which is such a shame because amber & musk usually work well on me.

Amber, amber, amber! And I love amber. Good stuff on me.

I got imps of this & Black Dahlia in the same pack; couldn't decide which I liked better so I put a dab on one on one arm & the other on the other to road test em. :P After a while, both smelled great, but when I put my wrists together & sniffed both at the same time--wow. So I often wear them layered. BD has a hint of amber too, but the florals help balance out the resin on me.

In the vial: black musk like whoa. :P

On the skin: Yay! The amber strikes back, making this a delicious juxtaposition between light/dark! This is hot and sinful. This is better then I could imagine. All smokey and golden. Sign me up for a bottle!

first sniff: Musk and amber - like expensive incense.

wet: Still the same two notes of musk and amber, blended together.

dry: Beautiful! The scent stayed true on me throughout.

I used to shy away from amber, but Puddin' frimped me this with my locket order and made me a BPAL-amber lover! :P

This is really lovely. Smooth and spicy. It seems a lot more complex than just musk and amber, like ceder should be in the mix somewhere, and possibly a dab of vanilla. It didn't go sickly sweet on me like many BPALs do, bonus! and the hubby pronounced it "Okay. Its like your Aveda shampoo but sweeter" which is stunning praise of a scent coming from him.

I think it'd be great layered with a single note rose, or some other sharper floral scent (perhaps lavender even?). I shall have to experiment.

In addition to the Aveda Inspiratu: Air (sp?) scent, it also reminded me of the BPAL Morocco, sans a ton of vanilla so it didn't become super sweet and reminiscent of that scent from the 70's, Tabu (which my mom had in her jewelery box, and hence I know it well) the way Morocco did.

MMM. Sweet yet smokey, soft yet powerful. This one reminds me of Sheol, but the dry down doesn't have as much kick as Sheol does. I like this one though, the first bloom of it is heady and makes me want to keep it wet on my wrist.

I was really hoping this would be darker on me than it is...

My body LOVES musks...and every type of BPal musk that I have tried has been WONDERFUL on me. I wouldnt call any of them heavy on my skin though...musks just seem to bring warmth to the scent for me. But, I think my body "eats" amber, lol. The amber seemed to totally disapear on me...and this is not the first time this has happened to me with amber. Save for a tinge of sweet I could detect.

A strange thing happened with this one. I am not sure if I had traces of incantation on that had an effect on this or not though. For the first 30 minutes or so, this smelled of clean baby diapers on me...the disposable kind. Eww.

Luckily that went away! After that though, it was just a very very soft, have to get right up on it to smell it, warmth.

I will have to test it again to be sure...but I dont see this making its way on my big bottle list. I AM crossing my fingers for a change with this one next time I try it...I SO wanted this to be my layering scent to make Black Dahlia a bit darker on me.

I love Haunted. It was the one that started my addiction. I sniffed my friend's bottle, and now I'm hooked on BPAL. It's a very dark and mysterious scent. :P

I love Haunted, to me it smells like all the best parts of Shalimar edp, right down to the faint citrus in the opening and the animalic/vanillic drydown. Dark, slightly sweet and sexy.

More please!

I am so upset about how Haunted turned out on my skin. I love amber, and I love musk, and they both love me. But this...this...smelt of old-lady perfume on me. This is not a scent that I can wear at the age of 20. I think the culprit is the black musk. I think most of my current BPAL is of the red musk variety.

That aside, this was soft and powdery, but not unpleasantly so. And dark. Like some others, I also thought it was vaguely vanilla-y. After about 4 hours, eau de octogenarian disappears and this turns into something incredibly lovely. However, I can't last 4 hours smelling of my grandmother, so off to someone else this goes.

The first scent I decided on when I made my first BPAL order. I love how amber smells on me, and I love musky-type scents. This scent is perfect for me. It's not too strong or too faint. It's musky (but not heavy animal musk, just... sort of dark) and a bit sweet from the amber. It's warm and fuzzy and something in the scent does sort of imply lemon. Not like a fresh lemon, though--it reminds me of the Easter lemon bread I made once in elementary school, with just a hint there. I love it enough that I wore it on my wedding day. It was my first bottle order. It stays all day on me and never goes bad. To me, Haunted is love.

Imp: amber and musk - sweet yet smokey

Wet: whoa! Black musk! The black musk is definately the most prominent note on my skin

Dry: black musk that has turned slightly powderish.

Verdict: not for me. This reminds me of a lolly we used to have when I was little called 'Musks' - I think they were like a lifesaver type lolly? Anyways they were very popular about 15-20 years ago and this is what Haunted reminds me of... sickly sweet musk, with a touch of powder thrown in for good measure. I can see why people would enjoy this scent, but it's just not my style.

Pendragons Score: 2/5

I like this one! It's a soft, dry amber with a touch of powdery sweetness. The musk gives it a darker feel but is still light enough to let me still smell the amber. Unfortunately, my skin doesn't like Haunted quite as much as I do -- it tends to go to straight powder and then fades within an hour of application, and the throw is not very strong. Very sad.

In the Vial - Very musky. Not much more coming through than the black musk.

Wet - Very musky - definitely has that scent of dusty cobwebs. Kind of interesting...

Dry - The musk is still strong, with a faint sweetness coming through

Later - Started turning to almost a dust scent very quickly. Didn't make it more than about 10 minutes before it really annoyed me. Off it goes.

This was on my wishlist soon after I discovered Bpal. Then I found out amber doesn't like me so off it went again. However the lab was kind enough to send me a frimp of so here goes!

In the imp: Ohhhh this is lovely! Sweet ambery musk.

Wet: *dies* This is going to turn to baby powder and break my heart I know it! Because this is fucking gorgeous! The amber is more prominant but the musk is lurking underneath. It's soft and sweet and golden and oh yum!

Drydown: Oh here comes the musk! I love musk (of all kinds) and it loves me right back. The scent isn't as golden now, it's getting darker and murkier, but still so beautiful and warm and soft. I'd love to be haunted if it smelt like this! There's a decent amount of throw.

Dry: I hate my skin chemistry.

*cries*

:D I thought I had reviewed this one once before, but I guess not. Hmmmmm. . . :P

So here goes:

The first time I had this, I got it as a swap, I think maybe from gothiccastle? But I reordered the imp (loves me some sweet impage) because I was curious about something. . .

This is definitely, for me, a cool-weather scent. Every time I wear it, I think of Type O Negative's "Haunted", which I'm totally down with! :)

Amber, amber, and more amber. Slightly musky as well. This isn't a bad scent, but it is one that takes wearing a time or two or--well, another imp's worth. I think this one also does well in wet weather. This would have been perfect for last year at Halloween--cold, rainy, all the leaves down, with a slight sense of forboding and chaos about to break bad on the neighborhood kinda vibe. Yeah. I likes me some o' that! :D

I'm curious as to how this one ages. . . I read somewhere on here that the longer you keep it around, the better it gets. So we'll try that. For now, though, I'll try and try and try again. Hmmmmm. . . Curiouser and curiouser, but I guess I'd need Alice for that, ha-ha. I may have to edit this one later.

Long story short--this one's a bit of a puzzler, but in a nice way. Reminds me of Halloweens from my childhood, and dredges up strange memories, but more with elderly neighbors with cookies and popcorn balls and my grandmother's house than anything traumatic.

If you like mysteries and like stuff that changes as it ages (much like people) give Haunted a whirl!