Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
viciousviolet

Haunted

A mournful, poignant scent, thick with foreboding. Soft golden amber darkened with a touch of murky black musk.

I adore this one! :D I also love the ambers, musks & resins and they love me!! :P

This one dries to a lovely powdery, musky scent and I smell a faint hint of coconut.
I feel sooo sexxyyy!!!
:D

I only wish my skin wouldn't love it so much as to eat it up though :D

But that's okay, I'll just have to keep gettinig more & more :D

Haunted

Disclaimer: this is based on what I smelled, not what the actual notes are. I don't look at notes when reviewing.

Preconceived notions: I thought this would make a good sensual scent.

In the vial: a smooth, dark, citrus.

On me:

First whiff: Yes, very smooth, very citrus, close to my skin.

Around me, I can smell a musk/vanilla (?) combination - the musk adds smoke, and the vanilla is smooth and warm.

This doesn't change much over time. The main difference is up close (orange) and wafting (the smoky vanilla)

Final impressions: This to me is a mysterious, yet comforting scent, probably due to the vanilla/smokiness part. It is sensual, but in a quiet lounging around kind of way - a good scent for a Sunday morning when you feel like being sensual and luxurious without any effort.

Haunted

Is very dark and delicious. I agree with the above reviewers who have said that it's a perfect nighttime scent. I'm always in love with amber and musk...and the Black musk really adds oomph.

I tried Haunted for the first time yesterday evening during an imp-sniffing session and I knew right away that I had to have a big bottle!

It smelled rather fruity and deep in the vial but as soon as it touched my skin, it turned into a beautiful powdery smell. I know I am probably the odd duck here, but I for one love powdery scents, especially when they are as elegant and refined as Haunted.

I am really happy that I had the opportunity to try it, because it is not an oil I would have ordered based on the Lab's description. To me there is nothing sad or mournful in this blend, quite the opposite. It is actually quite comforting and warm. It has been a while since I found a new favourite but this one goes straight at the top of my must-have list! :P

I think I need to try this one again in a week or so. Unfortunately, my first try of this it turned into Obsession for men on me. Not something I am a big fan of. I am gonna try this one on my man. Maybe it will work for him. I am very disapointed as I was really hoping this would be THE ONE - the scent I mean :P

BUMMER!

Haunted:

Wet: When I first put this on, I get green almost citrusy scent. I was actually questioning why this imp was in my "like" pile.

Dry: This scent completely changes to a lovely warm round amber. Makes me think of golden light filtering through the windows during a beautiful sunset.

I sniffed this an immediately thought, "A haunted orange??"

On me, it was just as citrussy, and that was a predominant note for almost a good half-hour. After awhile, the musks and smooth started kicking in and mellowed it out a bit. This is not the scent I expected, but it is rather nice, especially after a little wear. It actually lightened my mood, which is odd for a Funereal Oil.

This is lovely! Soooo me. The amber is sweet and the musk is dark and they go together *perfectly*.

After hours and hours, it still smelled the same, just a lovely, darkend amber.

I definitely need a bottle of this one.

This is a really dark scent. It made me think of a cross between Darkness and Snake Oil. It has the smooth, spicy incense of Snake Oil and the blown-out candle quality of Darkness. It really does make me think of a haunted house, not in terms of rotting wood, but of the smell of the air--dark, musty and haunted. Initially, when I put this on, Haunted and I don't get along. It smells like Darkness, musky black amber, with the sharpness of something that smells like/makes me think of ginger. It's really very, very strong upon application. It fades a bit over time. After a few hours, Haunted and I get along a bit better, because it really smells like a drier Snake Oil at this point.

Talk about freaky, but this one smells like baby powder or Love's Baby Soft on my wrists and Citronella candle on my bosom. It isn't exactly bad, but it isn't really good either.

I am going to try this one again and see if it gives me a freaky result tomorrow.

Follow up: The next time I used this, it really smelled like a waxy citronella candle on me. It's not a smell I adore. Mmmmm...haunted by the mosquito candle...I did sense a little bit of amber under this, but I would much rather wear my amber oil alone without the extra citronella kick.

Another one that is really light on me. I don't like the ones I have to bury my face into just to sniff a bit of it.

Ok, now it is a Play-doh scent. Yipes! What a strange beast!

Edited by Madame Nyx

Got an imp of this from cluna. :D

First sniff:

I don't get anything even remotely sweet from this. For me, it's sharp and almost animal smelling - must be the musk I'm smelling. There's also something almost powdery in the background that I can't place. I don't think I'm going to like this one very much, I'm having a pretty strong recoil reaction to it like I did with Deimos.

Wet on skin:

So sharp it almost burns my nose; I've never known musk to do that before...I'm guessing this has more musk in it than I'm used to or something. Haunted has a very animal feel to it and for some reason it smells almost sexual and not in a good way. Very odd.

Dry down:

Haunted isn't sharp anymore, just musky and slightly powdery. I have no idea what's causing the powdery note. Maybe it's the amber? I'm not getting the normal sour milk smell I typically get from amber, though, which is good. I'd rather smell like baby powder than sour milk. :P

The bottom line:

I really don't think this is for me. It's just not my type of scent, although I can see it working beautifully on someone else. :D

In bottle: Well, musky amber. I was hoping for something more comple. Somehow the bottle scent doesn't seem to match the name to me.

On me: It's not working for me. It doesn't smell bad, it just doesn't smell special. There's nnothing about this fragrance that excites or intrigues me. It's just a generic perfume smell. After a while I start getting hints of an orange or some citrus in the musk and amber cloud, but it still doesn't much impress me.

I got my 5ml today...oh how lovely...

wet: sweet, and flowery. It's perfumey without being nauseating...it has some powdery parts, but all in all it's very nice.

dry: it turns into a lush store. It's a dead ringer for B Never's Keep it Fluffy. That smell that lingers on your clothes after you leave a lush store...it's glorious!

Amber doesn't usually work with me, and black musk is hit or miss, because they both go extremely powdery, but there's something in Haunted that keeps it from going overwhelmingly powdery. Whatever the mystery ingredient is, it has a lemony tinge to it and is extremely sweet -- it smells kind of like hyper-sweet lemonade. I rather like it, but I'm not sure if it'll go powdery or not.

On my skin Haunted has a very sweet, powdery scent. The amber is strong, and there is a faint lemonyness that lingers in the back ground. I'm not getting the musk at all.

This reminds me of a scent that my grandmother wore when I was a little girl.

Yeesh, I reviewed this without looking at the notes and was way off. :P

Haunted started out vaguely medicinal on me, and I kept thinking I smelled lemon verbena or anise. But I also kept sniffing my arm and going, "Wha? What is that?". The sharp citrus smell continued for awhile. Then all of a sudden it turned powdery, but in a baby wipes kind of way. :D

Not for me at all, but I think I'll try it one more time to see if I can ID the amber.

Edited by scourgeotheseas

Phaedrine told me I would love this one, and she was so right! Haunted is amazing and is another proof of my theory that I enjoy less complex blends with fewer notes.

This is a perfect, harmonious mix of warm, soft amber and the dark sweetness of black musk. It is very deep, melancholy, and evocative. This is the kind of scent I would enjoy wearing at night, or on a grey, rainy, foggy day like today. If you like darker scents, resins, or musks, you must try Haunted! I need a big bottle :P

This was freebie from the Lab.

In the imp: Amber, with something dark and hazy floating above it. No, seriously, that's what I smelled.

Wet: Hello amber!

Drydown: I'm impressed by how well the amber's melded with the black musk.

Final thoughts: This is a dark, resiny scent. It's warm and sweet, due to the amber but it's not completely golden because of the musk. If you like those types of scents, then I recommend this blend. But since this isn't my style, I'll be putting this up for swaps.

I have two imps of Haunted, one direct from the Lab, the other from a swap. The one direct from the Lab has an orangey tone, while the swap one has a definite lemon aura. I think that I prefer the orange-tinged version, although either version of Haunted is gorgeous on my skin because my body chemistry loves musk and amber (which fortunately drowns out any association with citronella candles). I will be placing an order for a bottle of Haunted, and keeping my fingers crossed that I get the orange version!

I've had this imp so long, I can't remember who I got it from ... why I waited until just now to try it, I don't know. But I'm so glad I finally did!

I don't get citrus at all, and it's not particularly soft on me. It's animalic in a huge way, and very potent. Just two swipes from the imp and it's really asserting itself - which is good, because I really want to smell it.

I get "smokey" and there is something just slightly bitter/astringent that's very appealing, hovering high above a resinous base - that makes me think of old trees and piles of autumn leaves. I feel like I can almost smell the exact point at which the musk and the amber combine, and that nexus is intoxicating.

This is like Velvet, but more. I like it extremely. The picture I get is sleeping naked, wrapped up in animal pelts, in a deep, old forest - which, to me, would be bliss.

Oh my god, would this be good on a man. Whew ... :P

A side note: My cat hates it. :D "catbane" He jumped on my lap, sniffed, sneezed, looked indignant, and jumped violently down.

Well, fine. Be that way.

P.S. Hours later ... the drydown does go to baby powder - it's the musk. But it's lovely. Different than the earlier stages, but absolutely lovely, with that touch of amber.

A keeper, definitely.

Musky amber describes it pretty well. I get a hint of sweetness and a hint of almost vanilla. And maybe a hint of myrrh? There is something that reminds me vaguely of church incense and old books, but in a good way. It's not a scent I would wear every day, but I enjoy it. It's good for those days where you want to feel mysterious. I could see Catherine Linton having this scent outside the window of Wuthering Heights.

This was a freebie from a long time back, and I really enjoy it! Amber is one of my favorite scents, and the musk adds a really nice note. Dark, but not heavy, and I don't get any of the citrus scents people have been mentioning. It does get a little powdery, but not baby powder on me at least; it is more that "powdery" seems to best describe the diffuse, light but persistent quality of this scent.

Might be a big bottle for me.

Ancientgirl

Haunted

This is one of my comfort scents. Soft, long lasting, and just plain cozy. I really love amber and I am coming to find that musks work really well on my skin. This blend is one I find neccesary to have.

In the bottle:

Sweet and resinous. It has a juicy quality that is making me thirsty.

Wet:

French Creole anyone? Haunted has the same feel as it, with the tart, sweetness swirled over something more sensual. I mostly smell the amber, bright and vibrant. The musk is rounding out the background creating a sub layer of darkness.

Dry:

The wet sweetness is more muted now, but definitely has not gone away. The two layers have merged, the black musk poking its head out. This smells like deep, sweet incense and spice. It's a person who's all sweet to your face and conniving behind your back. Sinister with a smile :P

Verdict:

I love Haunted, and it's very true to its name. The scent lingers in the air after I take a whiff, making me feel all woozy and giddy. Yum, yum, yum!

First sniff from the bottle- Obsession?

After 10 minutes- This smells like Obsession to me. A dark incensey amber musk. The amber is dominant.

After 30 minutes- Ok, now I am detecting the citrus. The incense smell has died down and now it is a deep powdery amber citrus.

Summery- Haunted is very sultry, dark and sexy. I don’t like how amber smells on me, but this is a gorgeous sexy scent. I would love to have candles that smell like this.