Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
viciousviolet

Haunted

A mournful, poignant scent, thick with foreboding. Soft golden amber darkened with a touch of murky black musk.

Wet: Bright and alluring. It smells liking camping...spring rain mixed with skin-so-soft lotion and lingering campfire smoke.

Drydown: Soft and sweet citrus. It actually smells a lot like a creamsicle. I can see the lemon cheesecake association too. It’s creamy and golden, yet there’s something dark about it.

Dry: Smoky, creamy, and tart. Seductive and beautiful. As it dries it reminds me more and more of Snake Oil, minus the overt vanilla and medicinal/spicy notes. Haunted smells like a glowing shadow.

I think a lot of people would be surprised by this one.

7 out of 10 bones Edited by BoneBone24

In the imp: Zesty citrus with amber underneath.

Wet: Amber. Amber generally works well on my skin, and this is no exception. I’m glad to see that others have mentioned a lemon or citrus note and my nose is not just confused.

As it dries, the musk emerges, and while the hint of citrus remains, the amber becomes sweet and vanillic. It’s powdery and soft, but powdery in a very good way.

Haunted is lovely. It has a very feminine, classic feel. It’s also perfect for a cool, overcast October day such as today. I definitely see myself wearing it again.

I've had my bottle for about 3 years now, so I don't know how I've missed reviewing this one! I get an even mix of deep black musk and amber-- with it's bright lemony edge, and it's like a cleaned up Black Temple Burlesque Troupe. Up close the lemony amber is a bit cleaning-productish, but the throw is beautiful; somehow both clean and "dirty" at the same time

Edited by MCS4096

In the imp: Sweet and slightly powdery

Wet on skin: A faint impression of citrus comes forward, but without being citrus, if that makes any sense what so ever.

Dry: A wonderful slightly sweet amber with a touch of something which is reminiscent of lemon.

This is a wonderfully warm and beautiful scent which wears quite well through out the day.

I can't believe it's taken me this long to give this one a try, but I'm so glad I did! I don't ever want to be without it. :wub2:

In the imp: Sharp lemony amber.

Wet on skin: Very lemony with the teeniest hint of sugar. I think. I'm not entirely sure just what this scent reminds me of, actually, but I'm not entirely certain I like it.

Dried down: Lemon candy, that's what it was. And it's fading now, thank goodness into a soft, dark musk. This is really pretty.

Throw: Dark, sexy musk.

Verdict: **** That wet stage took away a star. I would consider getting a bottle of this in the future, though. But probably not for awhile.

Sooo wanted this to be a Definite, profound scent. It... starts off not "so" bad, but expresses a deceptive, masking, almost feminine hygiene product essence. This journey began with A serendipitous blending with KUMIHO. Revisiting the conceptual moment and accepting the conclusions; On Me, It is, like Himerus, best when blended with life and dream scents.

To me this perfume oil is very true to it's description. It has that sweet resinous scent of Amber mixed with something a bit dark and a little smoky, I assume that is the black musk. It is absolutely beautiful and haunting in the best of ways :wwolf:

It seems to have great staying power on my skin. I definitely rank this among my favorites :heart:

Lemon candy and musty old lady. Oy vey. Some poltergeists got a hold of granny's lemon drops.

This might actually be decent without the lemon. I don't care much for citrus.

Haunted is lovely dark amber on me the whole time. I was going to do my usual impressions in the bottle/wet/dry but honestly this really wouldn't add much to the review. It doesn't morph much from the bottle to my skin except getting a bit spicier and at the start a little bit citrus-y - the lemon isn't massive on me like it seems to be on others. Basically, it's a great dark-edged amber the whole time. It's almost an ambient scent, it's a mood rather than something you're sniffing actively. Mine's aged about 12 months and I think it's gotten better over that time. Top 10 for sure!

Edited by Heaven_Star

The first scent that I really, truly fell in love with, and the first full-sized bottle that I bought.

In the bottle: my notes say "crystalline amber " - warm amber complicated by something sharp and citrusy.

Wet: the crystalline citrus note immediately takes center stage, with the amber playing backup. And do I detect a passing whiff of my beloved Lady Grey tea?

Dry: Predictably, the sharp citrus calms down, letting the ambery musk move forward. But if this is how musk and amber work together, sign me up!

Oooh this went so wrong on me. When it first went on, it was murky, musky and sweet. Which isn't necessarily bad, but just...odd. Pretty quickly, it started getting almost sickly. It honestly smelt like hot, sticky, medicinal sickness. Kinda sweet, and kinda rotten.

It's dry now, and that musky amber note is still there, but that sweet overtone is just so not for me. I'm getting that citrus note somewhere in there, but if j get too close, I can still get a bit of that sick smell. I'm gonna pass on this guy.

Well it hasn't gone sour with my skin chemistry yet, so that's good. It did go sharp soap on, with something extra. Its actually kinda creeping me out, almost like attracting ghosts or something. Kinda powdery. I'll let it age and see what happens.

Ahhhhh amber, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways. Starts off a little lime-lemony for me, but once it settles down it's a thousand kinds of perfect. Mmmmm. All amber, all the time, amber you and I are really good pals okay.

It's just a smidge muskier/sweeter, but I think I like this even better than the amber in The Lion.

Edit: Got some Haunted Bonbon straight from a decanter, and fresh (?) it turned straight to powder. Just right to powder. Also got some additional Haunted decants, and one of them also...right to powder. Did my skin chemistry change? Does new/aged make a difference? Does the weather outside, or the heat of my skin?

Help because Haunted done right is sooooooo good, and when it's not working it is soooo...powder.

Edited by unxolve

In the bottle: Oh god. This is lovely. It smells a bit like a spa to me, I quess it's the lemon. I haven't tried any scents with amber before, so I am not good at recognizing it. It might be there too, though.

Wet on: Sweet, soft lemon. It's like lemon cake, it is by no means sharp or ''citrusy'', more on the contrary.

As it dries, the smokiness comes out. After wearing it for about an hour, it smells like the baby powder on me, too. My nose is not very trained yet, but I quess I also smell musk a bit. Mainly baby powder. That's ok with me, I love powdery smells.

In the imp: Sharp amber, almost chemical.

Wet on my skin: Same as in the imp, unfortunately. Not as nice as I'd have hoped, at least at this point.

Dry: Wait for this to dry before judging it! The sharp amber fades and softens within a few minutes, and the dark musk comes out to make this a warm, languid, slightly-powdery scent. It's a perfect blend of amber and musk, and despite the description, it's not at all foreboding. It's actually rather snuggly and comforting, like the memory of someone who was very dear to you. It's a beautiful, wistful image. My skin also happens to love musk scents, so I'm sure that has to do with why this smells so much better dry than wet.

Vial: Golden amber. It isn't dark on me, it's bright and sunny. The amber is perfect. Dry down: it's getting a soapy feel to it, almost citrusy in addition to the soapiness. Dry, I am pleased as punch it didn't go powdery. Most ambers I have tried go full on powder after a while but this one doesn't. WIN!

Oh Haunted...I really, really wanted to like you. Unfortunately I may as well just wear baby powder for the same effect. :(

Bottle: Smells nice in the bottle. Very warm. The amber comes out a lot with just a bit of musk.

Wet: Musk and amber...that turns to powder in about 5 minutes. Meh.

Dry down: Yep, all powder. Not unpleasant but not what I am looking for. Also it didn't last very long. Within two hours their was barely any scent at all.

How is this so freaking awesome?!? It's only 2 notes. But it's a glowy, warm, sexy golden presence. The name haunted makes sense, it's like it just follows you around like a sex ex. My theory on this perfume is that Liaison tells the story of who haunted was before he got murdered ;) I agree with the reviewers that get snake oil minus vanilla. Perfect for the days when SO feels too sweet. Now I wish I had a bottle, le sigh...

In the imp: It's light and fresh and not overpowering, but it does smell like a department store perfume.

On skin, wet: Same as in the imp. It's not headachey, at least, but still... I'm not a fan so far.

On skin, dry: There's a slightly spicy or smoky background here now, but it's also going a bit wonky. I can't but my finger on what kind of wonky yet, but it's a very weird combination.

After an hour: It's gone kind of powdery on top of the smoky background, and it just... does not work for me. At all. Perfumey but tolerable at the start, and just odd at the end.

Imp: Harsh amber with an almost lemon edge. There is a bite to it for sure.

Wet: Mellowing out a bit. It's becoming fuller and rounder. I think dusky describes it better than smokey. I believe that must be the black musk. There is a sort of biting spicy scent that warms my throat when I smell this. It reminds me ever so slightly of the lemon in Lush's Big Blue bath bomb.

Dry: A really beautiful musk with a latent golden amber sweetness. The spicy scent is still there but instead of biting it nuzzles.

I really like it! It does strike me as mature, perhaps even a bit old-fashioned. So I can see how this could end up "old lady" to many. But it's beautifully warm and full. While many have described this as comforting, it does evoke a sense of something half forgotten on my end. Waking up from a dream and finding you can only recall colors and feelings.

In the imp: Exactly as the description says – amber and black musk.

Wet: The combination of these two notes is lovely. I'm getting more of the musk than the amber on me at this point. The black musk note does have a strong lemon-y aspect to it, but that usually goes away after it has been on my skin for a while. The amber note increases in strength as the scent begins its drydown.

Dry: The amber note reigns now, and the black musk note has calmed down and lost its lemon-y vibe.

Verdict: I really like the amber in this one (which I believe is the same one featured in The Butterfly). I will be keeping my imp, but I don't think I need a bottle of this (unless I somehow end up going through this really quickly).

Edited by dementia_divine

Wet this is dark, dark, musk. I love it! Almost immediately, I get a spike of citrus. I've heard this can happen with black musk. It's not overpowering, though, and it still smells musky. As it dries, the amber comes out to play but the musk sticks around, as well. Simple, but so lovely.

Ok now that this is dry it is so so sexy. Dry amber and a smidge of dirty musk. It reminds me of a slightly more sexed up version of Dior Homme Intense, which is one of my favorite commercial fragrances.

Edited by gentle-twig