Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
kimchi

The Ides of March 2005

The Ides marked an auspicious time in the Roman calendar. Depending on the month in question, the Ides fell on the thirteenth or fifteenth, and usually marked the Full Moon. As we all know, it was not an auspicious day for Julius Caesar, nor was it fortuitous for H.P. Lovecraft, who also met his maker on this infamous day. Tu quoque, Brute, fili mi! A mixture of springtime greenery and classical Roman cologne: rosemary, bergamot, lemon rind and vervain with costus, benzoin, gray amber, cardamom, white narcissus and iris.

If you are looking for a light fresh green herbal...this is it! :P

Wet: The notes blend so well...I can't really pick out a single one. It is a light fresh green herbal scent.

After a few minutes, the bergamot and rosemary stand at attention. Crisp and clean. There is also a lovely citrus tang developing. I don't notice the lemon persay- maybe because it is lemon rind used. I do not smell any of the floral notes either-that's a good thing to me! :D

It does seem to be fading fast on my skin. :D
I will reapply more to see it it lasts longer. I may add more to this review later.

In my opinion, this is a gender nuetral scent.
I do really like this oil- I wish I would have ordered two bottles!

In the bottle: The Ides of March is very fresh and crisp- clean and green and a bit medicinal in the sense that these aren't cooking herbs, but healing plants.

Wet, on skin: The lemon rind makes an appearance, but it's still herbal and fresh. I get more lemon balm than the citrusy lemon fruit. My skin starts to bring out the amber and cardamom, so a warm spiciness mingles in with the fresh green herbs. I'm getting a little bit of the rosemary, and maybe just the slightest hint of the florals.

Dry, on skin: Fresh and very spring-like, The Ides of March is a lovely youth standing in an herb garden with a crown of greenery and amber jewelry. I spilled a bit of the bottle on the table right before reviewing this, so I ended up slathering on more than I would normally apply. However, it's not overwhelming, so I suspect that if I used a smaller amount, it would be fainter.

The Ides of March is one of my favorite days- my friends and I love saying, "Beware the Ides of March!" I'm so glad I ordered this- coolness quotient aside, it's a beautiful and refreshing scent that's perfect for spring and summer. I will cherish my bottle!

A few weeks back I chanced upon several old and out-of-print books on perfume at a used book store. So I've been reading a lot about such things lately (and let me tell you...fascinating stuff.) And as I read through the section on Roman perfumes, I started to see a lot of veeeerrrry familiar ingredients. *looks over at the description of Ides of March* Right.

In the bottle: A little medicinal, very green, very crisp. I would describe the scent of this perfume as "invigorating." Smells like the Roman herb garden at the old Getty Museum, in Los Angeles.

Wet, on skin: Oh yeah. Wonderful stuff. Kimchi is right. This is a wonderful light fresh green herbal, subtle and quite sophisticated. The rosemary is there, faintly, but in general all the elements blend smoothly. I can't pick out any of the ingredients I thought would be very distinct. It's very unisex; I could see a man being just as comfortable wearing this as any woman.

Dry, on skin: Even the rosemary loses itself in the total fragrance, and it almost verges on wanting to go soapy, but never crosses over completely. I keep thinking this is the ultimate work scent, because I cannot imagine how one could be offended by the smell of this. Really very nice.

Conclusion: A wonderful floral for people who don't like florals, Ides of March is light, refreshing and lovely. It doesn't have much staying power with my skin chemistry, so I am tempted to slather, but this perfume seems strangely immune to any danger of overdosing. I'm very glad I bought a bottle of this.

The dreaded lemon makes an appearance here so I'm a bit terrified of this blend...

still, onward the intrepid scent whore presses!

A sharp green herbal, citrus tang beneath it. This doesn't turn into pledge on me like most lemony things do (Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay) but there is a definite citrus sharpness to this. Roseemary and bergamot are keeping this very green, but the narcissus and iris are adding something just a touch softer. This is somehow gender neutral and while I'm wearing it without a problem I can picture my boyfriend wearing it equally well. Refreshing, clean and green, though I'm going to wait to decide if I'm keeping it. It's lovely but I don't picture myself wearing it often.

I am so sorry I didn't purchase more of this. I never thought I'd like this as much as I do.....love it actually. I was not familiar to the ingredients and was hesitant to purchase but Beth has managed to create a very unique and gorgeous Springtime scent. This is fresh and green and I can't pick out any of the notes on their own. They are blended well. This is a very gender neutral scent. I am not really into iris or green scents, but I actually love this. It is very addicting to me. Something in it softens it and calms.

ETA: This is spicy on wearing also...but not intensely.

Out of the bottle, Ides of March smelled like pure rosemary to me. But once I applied it, the rosemary stepped back and other notes began to swirl together. Like several other reviewers, I found that the different notes blend together so harmoniously and smoothly that it's difficult, if not impossible, to identify any single one. To me, Ides of March is very soft, but bright green like the first leaves we see in spring. The two qualities don't seem like they could co-exist in one scent, but here they do, in another example of a little Lab magic. This one will be uplifting and cheering for spring and summer... and brought out for a sniff or two in the dead of winter to revitalize me and keep me going.

First whiff: green, very herbal, lightly floral. Lemony! The first whiff gave me a nice impression of most of the notes, but the rosemary is definatly the strongest. It's not obnoxious, thank goodness. This is a very fresh scent.

On: WOWZERS. Here comes the rosemary in a BIG WAY! Again, it's strong, but it's not obnoxious. I can wear this out, and I'm not too worried that people will think I smell like a spice rack. I'm glad it wore down to smell like this, because I was also worried I'd end up smelling like nothing but lemon. Lemon noted scents always worry me just a little because for some reason, my chemistry grabs on to the lemon and expands on it :P

Later: Sadly, this nice scent has faded into oblivion for me. Now, all that's left is a faint, medicinal scent. A quick re-app brings the entire scent back - rosemary and all, but, a blend that requires me to reapply it in order to avoid a strange dry-down scent, is kind of a problem when I'm out someplace. So, this will be more of a 'at home' scent, and a locket scent for sure.

I like it. But, I don't LOVE it. I wanted to love it, considering my Birthday is in March. Maybe with time, and warmer weather, this scent will grow on me. I hope, I HOPE!!!!

-Leslie

This is lovely stuff--light, fresh, with one of the nicest lemon notes ever. Unfortunately, one of the notes does *not* like me.

Bah. Two bottles off to swaps... :P

In the bottle, Ides of March is fresh and green. It's very light and pleasant. Lurking at the very bottom is am almost spearmint note, which I assume is the rosemary :P

Wet: This is what I had wanted Frost Moon to be. It's sweet minty rosemary with a touch of foody spice in the background. I'm getting that undercurrent of wheat that I actually think is the cardomom. In this stage Ides of very bright and fresh, but subtle. It didn't attack my nose and isn't tart or astringent.

Dry: The rosemary has faded a bit and I'm left with something quite similar to silk road but with a layer of flowers and the undercurrent of rosemary. Cardamom must like my skin.

I like both the wet and dry stages of this. Wet, it's more minty, dry more spicey. When I first put it on, my impression of it was "expensive men's shaving cream." But, I really do think Ides of March is something both sexes can wear.

I really like this one!

Ides of March clean, green, and bursting with springtime. The rosemary, lemon, and benzoin are the first thing I smell. So, it reminds me immediately of a traveling herbal shop-the sort that would be on someone's back. The cardamom and bergmont give it a spicey, peppery, but not pepper sort of spice. It's a really unique and enjoyable herbal. The more that I smell it, the more that I like it. It makes me want to run outside and play in the sun. :P

This is a lush autumnal blend on me. I love the masculinity of it. Makes me want to don a sharply tailored pantsuit and slink around like a feline. I think the rosemary is in the forefront, but it's such a rich blend that I don't mind not being able to individually identify more of the notes.

This is love at first smell! :P

In the bottle, this smells very green, almost pine scented. It reminds me a bit of Skadi.

As this goes on, the green smell kind of develops into a nice, fresh, herbal scent. The lemon isn't very outstanding, but kind of lurking down in the background. I definitely get a beautiful cardamom top note, which smells like a sharp, green version of cinnamon.

And wonderful! The iris isn't very strong either. It's a note that I don't typically like very much.

This is very lovely! This makes me want to go back to Rome to wander around the Forum for hours on end.

In the bottle, I get a bright vivid green smell. Right away, on the skin wet I smell that rosemary. It is real sharp. It is only after that dries down a bit do the other notes come forward. I am smelling the citrus and amber, not sure what exactly gray amber is like, but that warm bit of amber is there.

I like this better really dry, with those sharp notes gone. I get the smell of a well placed container garden. Half would be the kitchen herbs that make your mouth water, the other would be the flowers on the table.

I like this, but not love it.

It seems to do well with a roll of the bottle before application, mixes the notes a bit better.

ETA: This blend has a spice, Cardamon, that comes up only after being dry for nearly 30 mintues. It is a morphing oil. I think it is better for it. Rounds out that herbal note. I ADORE :P cardamon. Now this is a great oil.

Way to go lab!

Edited by SoapyRN

Ides of March:

Wet: green. grass? So very green.

Drydown: the rosemary, lemon and bergamot come out to play. They blend together *very* well.

Overall: A little too green for me, but quite nice.

Initial Sniff: Green and fresh - a touch of citrus and a touch of sweetness.

Wearing: When wet, the rosemary and citrus really dominate. As it dries, they fade back into the green background. All the notes are beautifully blended, and none stand out. There is a nice spice to the drydown as well.

Final Impressions: This is sun-dappled green springtime - warm and breezy. It manages to be green and fresh without smelling like detergent. This is absolutely gorgeous. :P

I was in love at first read with Ides. The notes were almost matched with my favorite tea (to drink and sniff), and I love Amber without question.

In the bottle is was definitely herbal and green, with a subtle hint of medicinal/astringent punch.

On my skin (at first) it was soft green perfection. I was ecstatic-for once buying two bottles was paying off.

Then the dry down kicked in, and it went straight to perfume, like the faded hint of Red Door on my mother’s work coat.

Not good.

I may hang on to one for a bit, to see how it ages.

Ooh, I love this one!! At first sniff it smelled very fresh and green with rosemary strongly in the forefront. I just wanted to bury my nose in the bottle and inhale deeply. :P Upon wearing, I discovered that it smells wonderfully crisp and herbal with just a hint of sweetness. Unfortunately, the drydown is a little too masculine for my taste b/c the flowers seem to disappear, but that's just because I'm such a fan of sugary sweet scents normally that this just isn't really "me". I do think it would be a great "wear to work" scent ( I think Macha brought that up already?) or room scent and I LOOOVE this on my boyfriend. Interesting side note: this is the first BPAL that he has totally pinched from me! I ended up just giving him the bottle cuz he loves it so much. When I first got it, I had him blind-sniff the bottle. He said, "What is that?? It smells like my trip to the Mediterranean!" (he visited Rome not so long ago, and so did I. ) Bottom line: this is such a dead-on interpretation that I can't help but love it!

I didn't order this initially because of the word "cologne"...that combined with ingredients like bergamot and lemon rind made me think it would be a very sharp and lemony cologne. But the reviews that described it as green, made me seek out some imps! :P I'm glad that I got a chance to try it, this is unlike any other scent that I've tried -- I don't think I would use a whole bottle but I'll definitely enjoy an imp or two!

The herbal smell is foremost in the blend, a definitely strong waft of herbs, and it's not too lemony. It's sunshiney, coming across as yellow-green (though that's not the color of the actual oil). It does remind me of a cologne or a grandmotherly perfume here and there, but overall the strong herbal quality dominates. I love the scent of cardamom so I'm looking for it in this but I don't smell it. I do smell something like amber though. Not the amber I'm used to...that must be grey amber. I know that the variety present in this blend is vegan, since all of the lab's components are vegan, but if you are curious about the original namesake for that substance here's something I found on the International Perfume Museum's web site:

"Grey amber is an animal substance coming from a pathological secretion in the intestines of the sperm whale. Its obtention in no way endangers the animal as it can be found floating on the ocean's surface or simply along the coastline. The perfume industry uses it as a trace, like musk or civet, to fix or exalt other perfumes which might be too delicate or fleeting."

Neat, huh? Whatever the vegan equivalent is, it does anchor what would probably be a fleeting scent - I think that I especially like the dark, musky/amber quality that anchors this. That scent lingers for some time...almost like white musk with a trace of amber through it, and the lingering breath of warm herbs.

It's not exactly "me" but I like it anyway and will wear it on nice spring days like today!

oh, man, i thought i was going to be so in love with this. alas, i am not. it is perfect when i sniff it from the bottle, but as soon as i put it on, it gets very very powdery - none of that crisp rosemary/bergamot scent i get when smelling straight from the bottle. and, it's faded to nothing in the space of a just a few hours. i'm going to try this again once my period is over, in hopes that this is just my hormones/body chemistry screwing with me.... but oh, i'm so sad! i thought finally i would find the perfect scent! :P

The Ides of March smells like wildflowers in lush green grass -- a perfect Spring scent! It lasts well, too.

ETA: You have to be old to remember this - anybody remember the original Herbal Essence shampoo? It's along those lines, to me. Which is a really good thing. It's very clean and refreshing to my nose.

First Sniff:

Clean. It smells like the bathroom after I've taken a long shower with Neutrogena Rain Bath. Being as I luuuuurve Neutrogena Rain Bath this is a good thing. It's very herbyrainclean smelling. Which seems odd considering its a perfume named after a portent of death but whatever :P

Wet:

Fresh green herbs and rain. Damn. This is awesome. *sniff sniff* Mmm.

Dry:

Ugh. It's gone generic perfumey on me and it's giving me a headache.

Aftermath:

Ides of March starts out SOOO nice but by the end it gives me a headache so bye bye it goes :D

i have had this one a while, but after sniffing it in the bottle i figured a review could wait. it didn't do alot for me.

in the bottle it is very greengreen astringent made my eyes burna bit.

on tho....mmmmm as soon as it hits my skin i get rosemary and amber no lemon (yay), altho for a few moments there is a weird plastic type smell but that goes away as it dries. i detect a swirl of herbs, it reminds me of the herb stand at the farmers market. there is a very very light touch of what i am thinking is the iris, but it is in the background. mostly the amber and rosemary are in the forefront and i am liking it...wish i would have tried it sooner...bad bad shell

Yep, Ides of March is green and herbal. I usually associate green scents with coolness, but this is a warm green -- maybe because of the spices? On my skin, it strongly reminds me of hot herbal tea, like chamomile, except that's not one of the notes listed.

It's definitely gender-neutral - doesn't smell strongly masculine or feminine on me. I agree that it would make a nice work scent, because it's sort of no-nonsense, un-frilly and straightforward.

I like it a lot. I'm glad I got a bottle while it was still available.

Edited by isyche

In the Bottle: A very green, almost astringent herbal.

On: I have to agree with Isyche - this is green and herbal, but somehow a warm scent as well. It very quickly dries to something less green and more spicy, and I don't get any lemon out of it.

This turns a bit too "men's cologne" for me, but I'll wear it on occasion, as it is nice, particularly in the earlier stages.

I was afraid that Ides of March would be too masculine so I didn't get a bottle when it came out and instead waited to swap for an imp. The ingredients intrigued me, especially the cardamom. It's very green and herbal when I first put it on but the spiciness of the cardamom is definitely noticeable. I love it wet and for the first fifteen minutes. But once it dries down completely, it turns a little sour on me. I've swapped mine away :P .