Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
aurore

Scents for Depression - when you're down and need a boost

I find myself using things like Lilith Victoria, Gladdener of all Hearts, Katrina Van Tassel, Hope, White Rose, Bitch, Grr, Victoriana Goth, Depraved, Ecstasy of True Love, Alhambra (Arcana), Black Cat (Heaven and Earth Essentials), Elizabeth's Blue Moon 2009, etc. for perfume.

Sometimes I'll experiement with layering essential oils such as ylang ylang, lavender, rose, geranium, sandalwood, patchouli, jasmine, cedar, mandarin, neroli, frankincense, basil, rosemary, pine, spruce, vetiver etc. as those are supposed to be soothing or uplifting essential oils. Peppermint helps if I have a headache or am fatigued. There are more soothing/uplifting EO's (chamomile, lemon, etc.) that I'm not too fond of.

When it's really bad I break out the Peace, White Light, Energy, Bastet's Laughter, Anthelion, Lionheart, etc. (depending on whim, sometimes I wear them all but in different places.)

I use Baku on my pillow when I want to relax. (it seems to perform the same way as TKO for me but I like the smell better)

At night I'll break out the Aveda tea as well (peppermint, basil, licorice, sweet fennel) -- very comforting and soothing, usually helps relax me enough so I can sleep.

I have personally found that a combination of Bitch and TKO, worn together but not layered together, (I swipe one on my wrist and then swipe the other an inch or so away so that the scents blend but the oils don't), have helped even out my moods. Bitch doesn't smell 'good', but it does seem to work.

Also, do you have any positive scent associations? A perfume you usually wear when you're happy or something that reminds you of a good experience? Wearing/being around that scent can really make a difference.

In that sort of same realm, is there anything you can convince yourself to get out of bed for? Even if it's just something like a good cup of tea or using your favorite soap in the shower or putting on your favorite sweater, little things can at least get you moving. When meds bother my stomach (disclosure: not heart meds) candied ginger sometimes helps and is also tasty. If your tummy can take it and you've got it in the house, a little bit of chocolate can honestly give you a little lift (just don't eat it to the point where you start feeling guilty or gross, that's counterproductive). And get to the doctor as soon as you're able, if your meds really aren't working.

Good luck, and I hope things start looking up for you. This depression stuff really, really sucks. :hug:

Hi, my friend! I "know" you from MUA... sorry to hear you're having troubles. TKO personally works wonders for me when I'm stressed, and as I struggle with major depression too, I love using it to help me sleep. I have a bottle of the massage oil and would be happy to send you a bit, if you'd like it. Just PM me, ok?

Other notes that might help:

Mint--this seems to help me break through the fog and give me clarity

Citrus or ginger--helps to give me a burst of energy, which I desperately need when all I want to do is hide in bed all day

Best of luck to you! :hug: I really hope things will start looking up for you soon.

I agree on the mint note, that helps me quite a bit when I need it, too. I also really like Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo - it's very much a 'candy' smell, and one of the 'Voodoo' blends (I know some people won't use those blends for that reason). It's not an every day scent for me, but I do use it when I'm having a particularly bad day, and it's worked every single time!

block buster is without exaggeration the only thing that i've found that can pull me out of a panic attack.

Blockbuster is one of the two I immediately though of when reading your post.

The other is Jabberwocky - it is both uplifting and energizing for me.

Hope you find something that works for you!

Bastet seems to be soothing to me, while simultaneously boosting my confidence by making me feel really sexy at the same time.

Paris and Amsterdam are both very relaxing to me.

Bon Vivant and Jailbait are uplifting, if I'm in the mood to wear super sweet scents!

Anything with mint seems to energize me a lot, as others have said. I got a hold of some Frost Moon, and it's lovely, but there's also a whole thread on mint linked to in a sticky. I like Spooky too!

I hope you feel better soon! :wub2:

Edited by venusinfurs

I wanted to add The Zieba Tree to these great recommendations.

I needed something fresh but lasting for work and when I wear it, it also makes me feel confident, calm and content (in a difficult job).

I hope you're feeling better.

I find that the TAL Anthelion really helps me. It's the only BPAL/TAL/BPTP oil that I've ever used a whole bottle of (so far).

:hug:

I find that the TAL Anthelion really helps me. It's the only BPAL/TAL/BPTP oil that I've ever used a whole bottle of (so far).

Thank you EVERYONE for all of your wonderful suggestions(and hugs)...still not doing well which is why I am just now replying-all of you are angels :wub2:

Wondering how you are doing.

And if your meds are still not working, don't be afraid to push your doc to change them. It may take a few tries to find the one that works for you right now.

I'm new to scents, so I don't have a recommendation -- although I got a decant of "Odd Portents" today and it is wonderful.

Please keep reaching out. We'll keep reaching right back.

Resurrecting this thread to say that I find No. 93 Engine incredibly comforting. When battling some tough PMS-related emotional stuff a few weeks ago, I thought, "What scent should I wear to make me feel better?" And No. 93 Engine popped into my head immediately, even though I'd only worn it once before. But I went with it, and though it didn't totally erase my depression, it did make me feel somewhat better. It's probably going to be my go-to comfort blend now.

While I don't suffer from depression, myself, I find "Tweedledee" to be incredibly uplifting. From what I read, orange-y scents are one of the prime aromatherapy recommendations for depression, and "Tweedledee" is a beautifully sweet orange with a fresh edge.

Minty things work well for my ADHD, like Dracul or Cloister Graveyard in the Snow, also I find strong things like Sin to be energizing.

Anything with the "snow note" as well, Cloth of Gold, Onduris etc.

I've been feeling very fatigued lately, and having a lot of difficulty concentrating.

Does anyone have GC (not TAL) suggestions that make them feel more alert and focused?

Lemon always lifts me up. I am new to BPAL, but I got a decant of Sphaeromachia Gaumeri and I was in lemon heaven. I've heard it compared on this forum to Lemon Scented Sticky Bat. It was energizing, yet warm and comforting at the same time.

Good luck to you!

Sign in to follow this