Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
aurore

Scents for Depression - when you're down and need a boost

I need suggestions. I have post natal depression. I am not coping very well with a 4 week old and a 2 year old. I find myself snapping at my 2 year old and not being overly interested in anything or motivated to do anything. The house is a mess, I'm way behind in general house work and my 2yr old seems determine every time I start to catch up to undo it all as soon as possible. I'm also in tears way more than usual. I live 2.5 hrs away from family and my husband works away from home too so I'm basically a single mum during the week. My only support nearby is SIL who I do see maybe once a week for a few hours.

Any help greatly appreciated.

I need suggestions. I have post natal depression. I am not coping very well with a 4 week old and a 2 year old. I find myself snapping at my 2 year old and not being overly interested in anything or motivated to do anything. The house is a mess, I'm way behind in general house work and my 2yr old seems determine every time I start to catch up to undo it all as soon as possible. I'm also in tears way more than usual. I live 2.5 hrs away from family and my husband works away from home too so I'm basically a single mum during the week. My only support nearby is SIL who I do see maybe once a week for a few hours.

Any help greatly appreciated.

I would suggest one of the Panaceas but also Has No Hanna or High John the Conqueror might be very useful in this situation. Good Luck :)

I'm sorry to hear this -- I had some PPD too, after my kids were born. And it's certainly not easy taking care of a newborn and a toddler all by yourself. I know you weren't asking for advice, but have you contacted your hospital to see if there's a PPD support group, or any services offered? Maybe your doctor can point you in the right direction. You should post over in the parenting thread in Get Personal, too -- lots of supportive moms there who can at least offer a sympathetic ear, even if they can't come over and clean your house :)

Scent-wise, I'd think you'd probably want to go with something light, since you have a newborn. I would try Alice, Sudha Segara, Quietude, Maiden, Dragon's Milk ... maybe Antique Lace. I also find Kubla Khan and Khrysee uplifting.

Hang in there....things will get better. :hug:

I'm sorry to hear about your situation :(

I know when I get snappish the best scent in the whole world is Van Van IMO. Calms me right down and smells like an herbal vanilla.

Maybe breathing and visualization exercises could help as well.

Good luck!

Perhaps a TAL would also be helpful? I find Anthelion and Radiance of Ra might be appropriate.

Or White Light.

As for scent, you might want to choose something that evokes happy or calming memories. For me, that might be an aquatic-type scent since I find the ocean very comforting and calming. BPAL is so great for evocative scents that there would be plenty to choose from - carnivals, meadows, temples - you know, whatever might take you to a calm and comfortable place. :)

I second white light and antihelion! In my experience both are great, but white light seems to be better at energizing happy and connected to the world where as antihelion seems to calm me way down and its more a tranquil peace. Prob works diff on everyone tho, so not sure how relevant my experience is.

I also suggest getting Arabian Nights, to use as an aid to meet people near by so you have more support at hand (and maybe find some potential play dates with mothers with children of similar ages. You will have the bond of experience of children of that age and can use that to get closer and find people who are at a similar stage of life and have similar problems that you can relate to).

For some reason Linden is coming to mind. I haven't found many BPAL blends where it is prominent, but maybe get ahold of some of the EO. Its beautiful alone, and blended. I love it with a touch of rose and lavender, but mostly linden. That might be worth looking up... as would some BPAL citrus blends. Or neroli is quite uplifting as well.

Also something that makes you feel sexy can be quite uplifting, especially when hubby is in town?

I hope you get to feeling better!

Edited by tativa

I would recommend Has No Hanna.

I haven't tried White Light or Lionheart from Tal, but have heard plenty of stories of them working wonders.

Thanks for the suggestions. I haven't ventured into the world of TAL, but this might be the time. Maybe give Caliph's Beloved a try, I have no libido whatsoever which DH has been putting up with more than he should

All my voodoo blends and panaceas (except Black Cat) are in hiding at the moment and I'm at a loss to where they are. We moved house last August and still haven't finished unpacking. They are here somewhere but as I wasn't really wearing much of a variety while pregnant I didn't make a huge effort to find them as it made one less stash of BPAL for Eirik (2yr old) to get into, he is on the verge of obsessed by it, much to DH's dismay.

I put some Dragons milk on yesterday and it did give me enough of a boost to get some washing and dishes done. I'd forgotten how much I like it. Sudha segara is nice and soothing but it's something I was wearing a lot while pregnant and DH and I were in a bit of a bad patch then, so not brilliant associations atm, same with Alice. Will have to find Kubla Khan and Khrysee but most of all my Quietitude and TKO.

Parrot Suspect, I have an appointment with the doctor on Tuesday, I saw a community health nurse the Monday gone and she gave me some stuff to read but basically said go for a walk every day, see more people and go to the doctor. The thing is I've never been good around people and am slow to make friends. I tried to arrange a play date for people living nearby on a baby forum but no one showed up. So that's discouraged me a bit.

I think I've got it down to 4 TAL blends;

Arabian nights - will try the park thing again and also playgroup for Eirik, he needs to meet more kids. Caliph's beloved - for when hubby is in town. Energy and Lionheart. I'll try the otther ones I have in the mean time.

Thanks again for all the replies. It's made me feel better just knowing other people are willing to listen and offer help :)

Blockbuster always works wonders for me - there's something bright and uplifting about the smell, and when you combine that with the idea behind the oil, you can't lose! :D

Its not an oil made for specific intent, but I think that one couldn't help but be uplifted when wearing Jabberwocky.

Are there any postpartum doulas where you live? I can't recommend them highly enough; I couldn't have gotten through baby #2 without mine.

I have been having a rough few months:got evicted, my heart problems have worsened so I cannot work and my bf keeps pushing back his visit time(it's long distance).My meds aren't working and I was just wondering if there were any scents that people find to lift their spirits and also calm them down.I know this is TMI but I have spent most of the day in bed too depressed to move.....I'm sure others can understand. :blush:

I think it's a really personal choice. What kind of things make you happy, uplifted, or comforted. Traditionally citrus or other "bright" notes are said to cheery, but I find they are the opposite-same with the color yellow. I find scents that are dark , creamy, and softly sweet are soothing: musk, vanilla, almond, sandalwood. I love the search feature on the BPAL site. If you crave a peach, booze, grass...almost anything...something is bound to remind you of a pleasent memory.

First up - sorry to hear things have been so rough, I hope they get better for you real soon :hug:

There isn't really *one* scent that I reach for when I'm feeling blue.. although I do find TKO makes me kinda happy, for me it's very relaxing. I made a little room spray up with TKO, and a few spritzes of that through the room seems to mellow me out a lot.

Sometimes I want to wallow in the feeling of depression, I hope you'll know what I mean by that, cos I know it sounds crazy - but sometimes I just want to "enjoy" it for what it is and let it stay with me a while - usually when I'm like that I will reach for more 'dark' smells like Crowley or Hellhound or Snake Oil or Lucy, Kissed.. something about those deep, sensual smells is very comforting.

Other times, I'll want something bright and cheery to lift me up - that's when I'll reach for something like Mouse's Sad and Long Tale, or Snow White or Antique Lace, or a vanilla/foody type blend. I have to be in the right place for that though.. if I try those kinds of smells when I'm not really ready to be cheered up then they annoy me with their happiness (again, hopefully you'll get what I mean there).

BUT! I do have one thing that never fails to cheer me up.. my box o'smellies. I have all my GC imps in one box, and all my LE decants in another. Sometimes I just like to get one (or both) of the boxes and go through them - trying things I haven't worn in ages, imps I haven't tested yet, reacquainting myself with old faves - I can spend ages doing that, and I find it takes my mind off of just about everything. So that would be my suggestion - maybe it will work for you too.

Finally.. one more :hug: for you :smile:

First up - sorry to hear things have been so rough, I hope they get better for you real soon :hug:

There isn't really *one* scent that I reach for when I'm feeling blue.. although I do find TKO makes me kinda happy, for me it's very relaxing. I made a little room spray up with TKO, and a few spritzes of that through the room seems to mellow me out a lot.

Sometimes I want to wallow in the feeling of depression, I hope you'll know what I mean by that, cos I know it sounds crazy - but sometimes I just want to "enjoy" it for what it is and let it stay with me a while - usually when I'm like that I will reach for more 'dark' smells like Crowley or Hellhound or Snake Oil or Lucy, Kissed.. something about those deep, sensual smells is very comforting.

Other times, I'll want something bright and cheery to lift me up - that's when I'll reach for something like Mouse's Sad and Long Tale, or Snow White or Antique Lace, or a vanilla/foody type blend. I have to be in the right place for that though.. if I try those kinds of smells when I'm not really ready to be cheered up then they annoy me with their happiness (again, hopefully you'll get what I mean there).

BUT! I do have one thing that never fails to cheer me up.. my box o'smellies. I have all my GC imps in one box, and all my LE decants in another. Sometimes I just like to get one (or both) of the boxes and go through them - trying things I haven't worn in ages, imps I haven't tested yet, reacquainting myself with old faves - I can spend ages doing that, and I find it takes my mind off of just about everything. So that would be my suggestion - maybe it will work for you too.

Finally.. one more :hug: for you :smile:

Thank you-I just don't know what is going to help at this point-I tend to like more lavender type stuff but you know if you have clinical depression not much of anything helps-just wondering what other people do.I might look for some imps of stuff-I have a few to swap but no money to buy a bottle of anything....and :hug: right back...

I find that a nice scented bubble-bath,lighting a scented candle,playing some relaxing music helps. No scent recommendations for you but I wanted to offer lots of hugs. :hug:

Good luck to you and don't be shy to seek professional advice. :poorbaby:

((HUGS)) I hope that you start feeling better and that things start looking up for you soon <3.

I'm sure that everyone has different 'happy place' scents. For me, I like fun, foodie scents when I'm feeling depressed (Eat Me, Bliss) and lately I've been enjoying Polynesian Pop for a fun, fizzy, uplifting scent. I find cool, clean, vanilla-y scents to be really calming too (Banded Sea Snake, Dorian). And sometimes it's just fun and exciting to try something new. New smellies are always a good thing.

:hug:

I find that a nice scented bubble-bath,lighting a scented candle,playing some relaxing music helps. No scent recommendations for you but I wanted to offer lots of hugs. :hug:

Good luck to you and don't be shy to seek professional advice. :poorbaby:

I am but my meds just aren't working and since being put on a new heart medicine it makes me sick to my stomach 24/7 :sad:

First: *hugs*

Vice, Boo!, Cake Smash, Eat Me... foody scents make me feel happy and comforted. :wub:

Sometimes something obnoxiously floral does too (oh, how I miss you, biggerCritters).

What makes you happy, either from scent or name? Or reminds you of something special?

Edited by icing

Sign in to follow this