Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shelldoo

Lord of the Forest

A men's virility and sexual domination blend.

hmmm, i do not know why but my nose keeps detecting civet in voodoo blends, maybe it isn't civet but some note that is having a civet like reaction w/ my chemistry but to me it smells civet like, deep down, below the smell i am associating w/ civet it s deep resinous smell, possibly oak or rosewood, it is so hard to get past the sharp smell, that i am unsure, there is also something sharply green possibly some kind of evergreen or pine which would make sense w/ the name of the scent.

I realized I should probably review this given that I had some imps of it I swapped away (I kept one for myself). As I recall, the person I got the imps from originally said that this was a Twighlight Alchemy Lab druidic blend, meant to be used to draw positive masculine energy or to use in ritual to call on such figures.

I like it, but don't wear except in such cases. For me, it is very much as it is named, recalling the lord of the forest. It definately has a strong civet note, which gives it a raw animalistic scent. What else, I'm not sure because on me the civet is so strong it tends to overwhelm everything, but I smell something woody and green as well. It absolutely encapsulates its name: this is the horned god striding through the forest at dusk.

I've used it because I've had a difficult time understanding the energy of the tarot card the Hierophant, and it finally occurred to me I'd be better off thinking of this card as the high priest or shaman figure, and I put this on and took a walk in the woods, meditating on that idea. Its hard to say what happened, but what I can say is I felt reconciled with my understanding of that card, and also very much felt the presence of the a male horned god figure, or rather that I had a new understanding of that male energy. I found that very valuable, so for me, this blend does what it should, though it is definately not anything I would wear from day to day.

If you're interested in Tarot, I think this blend would also help in considering the figure of the Emperor or the Magician.

at first: all i smell is pine. fabulous. very xmas-y.

on: pine! lots and lots of pine! wonderful. almost icy in its sharpness.

half an hour later: still the same strong, crisp, biting pine.

1 hour later: i can't believe this isn't going funny on me. still pure pine.

4 hours later: this is much, much softer now.

overall: i'm so excited about this one because the pine didn't get weird on me. really wonderful and crisp

Being the recipient of the imp cuervosueno posted about, I used it last night in a small waxing moon ritual to attune a claw necklace I made. Since I'm not one to refuse a midnight stroll (ok ok dancing in the itty bitty excuse for a pine grove) in the moonlight, I also dabbed some on.

It's very piney and resinous at first when wet. As it stays on, I detected more animalistic type notes. Something very primal and earthy. It certianly stays piney and earthy- not dirt like Graveyard Dirt, but Earthy like the wind on top of a mountian.

It was very helpful to concentrate and feel super grounded to the Earth, yet have a part of me still so drawn by the lunar pull. I sort of did get a bit of that "Going feral" feeling.

I dabbed a bit of LotF on each claw in the necklace (5) and hung it annointed in my window to baith in the light of the moon. The scent now is allmost a sweetly animalistic type sex one. All traces of pine have gone.

I'm curious to see how it will work on the boyfriend for a ritual Friday night.

I tracked down a decant of this one for a friend and tried it out on him, after much of his begging. He hoped that it would make him more popular with the ladies, which did not happen, but it still smelled pretty nice on him.

It had an animalistic musky note to it, along with a green pine sort of fragrance, and a slight hint of woods. Maybe a bit of earthy patchouli? Very appropriate for a masculine forest blend.

My male friend loved the smell and wants a full bottle, he said that it made him feel more confident and 'manly.'

LORD OF THE FOREST

I recieved this from sevensins' TAL decant circle a while back along with 6 other TAL decants (thanks!!). I am only going to review the scent as I have not had time to do any focus work with Lord of the Forest as of yet.

This applies very strongly (and thickly), and I can definately detect civet in this. Strangely, civet has behaved in all of the TALs I've tried with the note in it, even to the point of being enjoyable. This is usually not the case with GC bpal blends, so it has been quite a surprise to find multiple TALs with a dominant note of civet in them that actually don't go to all hell on my skin chemistry. There is pine and some heavily resinous notes here as well. This oil has a very cool, dark feel in my perception of how its notes interact with eachother and I'm starting to like the scent more and more as the drydown comes. This is now a much more rounded scent of deep resins and sharp pine with a dusky overtone of animalistic sweetness. It brings to mind being alone with your adventurous (and perhaps not quite human) lover in an isolated forest in the dead of night. Rowr :P

A very confident, masculine-energy oriented scent (but that's not to say that a female can't wear it too). I enjoy it immensely. This seems like it would be great for focus work on positive masculine energy aspects or the Horned God in particular, and its a strangely calm-inducing blend. I would wear this when I feel its especially crucial to appear confident or to help embody the more (traditionally) masculine aspects of my nature. In comparison in scent to Temple of the Horned God (at the time of ordering, I thought they might smell similiar), this seems to be much lighter on the civet, so if you're really adverse to civet but still want to try one of two, I would reccomend Lord of the Forest. Temple of the Horned God also seems to have a much more raw and heavy musk base, while Lord of the Forest has a more tempered sweetened musk overtone on my skin chemistry, and it wears as a lighter fragrance overall.

Court

Edited by Court Analyst/Strategist

Lord of the Forest - this is a “men’s virility and sexual domination blend.” I only wanted to test it once because I know it’s for magickal purposes, not scent purposes, but I really like the scent of it … on me. It smells like it may have patchouli and vetiver in it plus a touch of something floral – lavender, perhaps (hard to say). It sticks close to my skin, but it’s very sexy and after experiencing it, I can’t quite put it into words, but I can understand how it might work for its intended purpose. Really great blend.

Hee! I don't have anyone to dominate. Still, a dab for a test. And... perhaps if I play my cards right, or my experience with Q5 is a stunner, :P .

Bottle: It has a sharp, almost achingly sweet and musky aroma to it. If I had to compare it to a catalog blend it would be most like Satyr or Czernobog. The overarching spicy muskiness also reminds me of the initial bit of Storyville, or some of the Lab's richer, headier perfumes.

Dab: Pine, civet, and black amber, black patchouli. Pine, yes, pine. I think it appears to be a familiar element of many male blends. Oh. Civet. Uh huh. Meow.

Drying: Uh oh, civet civet civet. I smell really... evil? I smell like a dark forest with lots of creeping beasties.

Summation: Again, more of a ritual use, as civet doesn't behave well on me. However, this scent does make me think of debauchery and naughtiness, so perhaps it would have a similar effect on someone else. I'll reserve judgement for that if I find anyone willing...

I did not use this scent in a ritual, but do feel attuned to Herne in some ways, so I hope he doesn't take offense at this being a purely scent review. :P This decant was obtained through the Civet Evangelism Sniffing Circle courtesy of Innana9.

the oil is separated, so I roll it gently around first to mix it.

in imp: oh my gods, I need this... wait, baby wipes? hmm... main scent is clean musk, pine-ish and vetiver-ish and resinous... but then the scent that lingers is baby wipes. er.

on wet: 12:10 - juniper, benzoin or maybe tonka, lovely woody musk... baby butt. um.

drydown: 12:20 - vetiver, black or red (bitter) musk, a hint of benzoin... and baby wipes. WTH? I don't know what the heck is turning this scent into baby wipes (it may have been in Jacob's Ladder) but if it's civet, it's not the civet I'm familiar with!

12:30 - ashtray and baby butt. ugh. And this started off so nice too. :D

Courtesy of Innana9 and the wonderful Civet Evangelism Circle with all courtesies extended to the Lord of the Forest, despite this being principally a scent review:

Caveats fully in place...we now review.

In the imp this is rather bitter and harsh. There's an almost smoky edge to it. Dirty and mossy.

On the skin this almost burns a bit. Am I being rejected? I'm soorry!!! And here I always thought I had a bit of a feral, masculine side. At any rate...

It's definitely tingly. It's pine-y, cedarish at first but has a dark muskiness that follows through.

Then it turns into a musky patchouli with a little floral. It's almost sweet.

It doesn't make ME feel particularly controlling, but still I wish I had someone to dominate right now, if only for the sake of science. :wicked:

I accidentally tested Lord of the Forest before I actually meant to (explanation here). I thought I had put on some sort of Snake Oil variation! Not nearly as sweet as Snake Oil, and no vanilla, but that rich resin/musk combination...a bit like Smut crossed with Snake Oil, or at least in that family. VERY sexy. The civet is really well-blended; I caught a hint of it but it never took over--even on drydown, I was still getting *all* the notes, not cat pee. :D It has strong throw and good lasting power; it's super-dark in the vial and has a feeling of darkness as well.

I'm passing it on to my partner, as the resident male--he thinks it smells "incensey" and, to be honest, he did behave more...animalistically...than usual. I recommend this one for its intended purpose, and even though it's for men, I quite liked smelling like a Lady of the Forest. :P

I realize this is supposed to be a scent that you wear for the magic purpose behind it and not for the what it smells like, but good god, no!

In the vial and on my arm, I kid you not, it literally smelled like a combination of feces and modeling clay. It was one of the top three most disgusting-smelling imps I've gotten yet.